New Godzilla design (derp)

Posted by Supersentai 
Wow! That sounds pretty rad! Is it impossible to get a copy nowadays?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
It'll cost ya... :/

I don't see any on eBay...but there are a couple over-priced copies on Amazon. I borrowed Matt Doughty's...or, rather, he forced it upon me! After reading it about four times, I returned it and thanked him profusely.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Okay...back on topic...I could fucks with this:
[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

I love miniature cityscapes you can mangle with kaiju figures!
Ginrai
Wow! That sounds pretty rad! Is it impossible to get a copy nowadays?

I believe the .ORG excised all the scans from the book that were posted on their forums, but there are torrents and electronic copies in circulation. I personally still lean towards the dead tree format, but scans are better than nothing.

Speaking of which, why were there no subsequent volumes made? Matty Legal squish them in utero? They sure pulled a number on Emiliano Santalucia. Poor dood.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Nah. Internal politics.

I forget all the details, but the way I understand it, there was a massive schism right after the first volume came out, where one of the two people masterminding the "foundation" got into a beef with the other and told everyone to GFY.

Ugh. That's the problem with being a grown-ass man collecting children's toys. There are some unstable fucking people up in here...
NARF!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Glad someone noticed! :P
Sanjeev
Okay...back on topic...I could fucks with this:
[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

I love miniature cityscapes you can mangle with kaiju figures!

I was really excited for this set. Even tho I never actually SAW the movie, I had the two Micro Machines sets from Godzilla 98 and played with them forever. There's probably still pieces of them floating around my parents' house. With those fond memories, I was excited for a new set of mini figures, vehicles, and destructible buildings for the new movie. I saw a set at TRU and it looked like it was sculpted in Play-doh. I seriously do not understand what Bandai did for these toys... they all look so soft and shallow, and the micro set was so bland looking. Hardly anything was painted, just swaths of soft sculpts molded in color. It all looked so cheap and shitty. Micro Machines used to have incredible detail for their scale and price. The new Destruction City set is a poor continuation of that legacy.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev
Wait--now NECA is doing a 24" Godzilla???

(this is actually the unpainted figure that Gcrush posted above)

It just seems weird that two licensees would be competing (even if their target markets are somewhat different)...

NECA's big G is 24" long, not 24" tall. It's meant to go with their other 18" ~1/4 scale figs and big jaegers. It could be alright, but it will be a heck of a lot more expensive than the 24" Jakks toy.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Kudos for never seeing GINO. What a disappointment. Anyway, sucks to hear about the Pack of Destruction or whatever they're calling that set I posted about. I was kinda looking forward to at least ONE of these Bandai toys being worth checking out. At this point, I guess not.

Wow. So does that leave NECA our only hope???

We're fucked, huh? :P
Sanjeev
Kudos for never seeing GINO. What a disappointment. Anyway, sucks to hear about the Pack of Destruction or whatever they're calling that set I posted about. I was kinda looking forward to at least ONE of these Bandai toys being worth checking out. At this point, I guess not.

Wow. So does that leave NECA our only hope???

We're fucked, huh? :P

Well, it depends on what you want. For a posable 6"ish G, I'd wait for the inevitable MonsterArts. There's nothing NECA's going to do that Bandai won't end up doing better, besides the large scale figure. I guess part of my problem is, I don't understand what kind of toys a modern Godzilla fan wants... vinyls, or action figures? I'd rather a no-frills B-club style standard vinyl with detail comparable to the Tokyo-SOS era stuff to match what's already out there.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I most definitely don't know what the average Godzilla fan wants either. I know for myself, I want some cheap crap I can walk into a TRU and walk out with for a reasonable amount of money. I know there'll likely be a MonsterFarts figure...but I'm not expecting this movie to be good enough for me to *want* something as fancy as that. A simple $15 Bandai 6" vinyl that could be found anywhere would be nice...
Sanjeev (Admin)
So...on Saturday, me and some friends happened upon a TRU...and I caved and bought Tail Strike Godzilla. It's fairly benign, given how bad the other larger figures are. And it's infinitely better than the Smash Strike one.

As sorta expected, those tiny feet don't exactly make it a very fun toy to display. You basically HAVE to have him leaned over like he's gonna take a bodega-sized shit on a neighborhood. Tilt his legs back or forth at all, and he's gonna fall over.

Also, I can see where the term, "Pig-zilla", comes from. His face IS kinda blunted/smushed-in. Compared to other G'14 toys sculpts, it seems a bit more pug-like...so I think it's just a fuck-up with this particular toy's sculpt. His face seems more elongated in the trailer and on other toys, so I'm not gonna worry about it,

Anyway, other than those issues, it's really not a bad toy. The weird segmented look to the tail isn't really a problem in person...and the tail whipping action is actually done pretty nicely.
Rave review of the 24 inch Jakks version from JoshB in CDX.... I'm now half regretting passing on it when I saw them in TRU last month but the other half is asking its half self - "srsly - where the hell were you going to PUT it anyway?!?".
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I saw that review. Very honest...but also a tad forgiving of the toy's shortcomings. I don't feel bad at all for passing on it, despite the seemingly tremendous value. The big-ass NECA one looks to be a better toy, but who knows how much it'll run ya...

Either way, after dumping $15 on the guy above, I think I'm done spending any more money on 2014 Godzilla until the actual movie comes out. If it fills me with total rage, which I fully expect, I'm likely gonna regret spending even that $15. If I'm completely surprised by the movie and it turns out solid, then maybe I'll throw down for something higher end.
Jeevsie,

Here's your opportunity to get into the mod biz. Design some aftermarket toy enhancement foot add-on's. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to craft a dark coloured plastic foot overlay that corrects the various sized zilla's. Imagine there'd be a market for it. Be bold...fix feet!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I thought about that...but it'd be a pain to match the paint on the feet and all that. Plus, I don't wanna violate the design. I mean, the *intention* is to have brachiosaur feet, not chicken feet.

A base/stand that the stock feet can plug into, on the other hand...
Match the paint!!???
No NO NONONO! Any add-ons have to catch this toy up with the 70's, and be made of bright yellow plastic, to give sharp pointy toenails to the new toy's feet, and clips for...!! ...WHEELS!
Wheels!
Just taking the opportunity to say, "Wheels!!!!" one more time...Carry on...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hmmm....and a launching fist, perhaps...

;)
Okay, most of the new toys for the big guy have either made me laugh, or I thought they were "cute".

Here comes Bandai to save the day...this design I can get behind...

[www.amazon.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Isn't that that same figure that comes in the "Pack of Destruction" set? It's only 3 inches... :/

But, yeah, while I've found nearly all the new toys in stores so far to be underwhelming, I still do get a kick outta the Tail Strike figure. Sure, he can't stand up straight (which is completely asinine), but at least that tail gimmick never fails to put a smile on my face!
Yeah, I just can't get myself to pull the trigger on any of these. None of them just seem very fun. That's kind of par for the course with Bandai America toys, though. There's always something missing somehow, and they always seem cheap.

More serious than thou
There was a press screening last nite and here is the early buzz on the movie:

[www.comicbookmovie.com]
Early reviews have been unleashed:

Verdict: Godzilla is fat. Humans still can't act. But 20 onscreen minutes of FAT Godzilla!

Was hoping for Phat...but you get what you get.

I would go see it in IMAX, but it sounds like Zilla' has already "max-ed" out. Hope he doesn't jiggle.

"RRRRRRR...Weight Watchers Factory...Roar...100 calorie cookie packets...MMMMMM!!!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Reviews seem mostly positive...yet a lot of critics point to the humany bits being insufferable. Does that mean that the monstery bits are just THAT good???
Most reviews I have seen say that they got the monster RIGHT if nothing else. Don't remember hearing that for Ferris Bueller's Godzilla Day Off!
Sanjeev (Admin)
True...but Ferris Bueller got *nothing* right! :P

Well, either way, 3D IMAX for me...Friday night...with the local toy guys. Should be an interesting post-movie discussion, like when we all went to see Final Wars.
I'll be shooting for an early evening showing, likely IMAX...but we'll see what we can squeeze into. Imagine it'll be crowded this weekend.
Just got back from an early afternoon IMAX showing.

Wow.

If this was just a disaster movie minus the monster(s), it was an amazing achievement. The effects were phenomenal.

As to the big G...very reverent portrayal, epitomizing a sheer force of nature. Some special touches along the way make me look forward to another movie with this itineration.

I went in thinking there would be little monster action, but it was peppered throughout. Very satisfying. Epic. Will likely see it again.

Yo!
More thoughts on this later but loved it! Now THIS is Godzilla done right!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Spoilers ahead...
Well...I enjoyed the movie. Though I'm not quite sure if that was because it was genuinely good or if Hollywood's war of attrition on my standards has simply taken its toll. Either way, I went in expecting it to be a pile of shit. And it certainly was not. Was it GREAT? Fuck no. But ultimately, my expectations were exceeded...thus making for a positive experience.

I liked the design of Godzilla. He looked a billion times better than GINO ever did. If I had any complaint, it would be that he wasn't depicted as being particularly scary. He was like a big ol' friendly dog. MUTO's design was okay, I guess. Much like the overall movie, I didn't hate it nearly as much as I thought I would. Very weird and very alien, but the quality and detail of the animation saved it.

The humans were hit or miss for me. Cranston was solid...though I was surprised they bumped him off so early. I was expecting him to be bat-shit crazy throughout the whole thing! Taylor-Johnson was mostly excellent, too (he's playing Quicksilver in Age of Ultron...did you know? did you know?).

But Watanabe was a complete fucking waste. He had a dozen lines, half of which were moronic, melodramatic lines about man's arrogance or some such blithering. Ugh. Shame on them for naming him "Serizawa". Similar thing with Taylor-Johnson's wife...uh...whatever her name was. The extent of her "acting" was either being on the phone and looking worried, being in a hospital and looking worried, or being on the street somewhere in the middle of a kaiju brawl and looking worried. Hoo-fucking-ray.

Overall, I think the human bits were relatively well-acted. The scripting wasn't too bad (except for Watanabe and throw-away wifey). And the human story, overall, couldn't been a lot worse. It's just that the human bits were WAY THE FUCK TOO LONG. I only checked my watch once...but I definitely yawned more than a few times during the "dramatic scenes".

And of course, what really hurt was that there was VERY little kaiju in the movie. Every time there seemed to be a dramatic entrance of a monster, they'd cut away to more humans being human. Yeah, yeah...build-up...I get it. But my balls were pretty fucking blue by the end of the damn movie.

And as for the overall plot, I have kind of mixed feelings about it. Okay....so back in "primordial" days, when the Earth was way more radioactive, there were *at least* two species of giant animals that would beef every now and then, right? And we accidentally woke them up with nuclear fucking power--NOT nuclear bombs??? Uh...okay, but I still don't quite get how that's "the arrogance of man"? Kinda weak.

But the biggest change/plot twist for me was one I wasn't expecting AT ALL: Godzilla is a hero!! Bwah??? Certainly a bold move...but I think I prefer Godzilla as a villain a la the early heisei movies (unless the movie is campy like the mid showa ones). Sorry...but badass villains are just cooler. But I'm keeping an open mind about this one: if they do make more in this series, it'll be interesting to see how they continue to develop him as a hero (against ostensibly more and more villainous enemy kaiju).

At the end of the day, I'd pay to see a sequel...and I'll even buy more toys of G'14. But unless someone does a fan-edit that cuts the run time by at least 50% (preserving all the scifi/monster bits, of course!), I'm probably not gonna sit through all 123 minutes of it again.
I don't think it was so much about the "arrogance of man" as it was the "insignificance of man" at play here...

I think this is a pretty interesting article from David Ehrlich about the film:

[thedissolve.com]

Anyway... I thought it was a neat twist making Godzilla both Destructive Force of Nature and Hero of the Earth, cleverly setting up a reboot but structured like one of his many "hero" sequels. Hey, there was even a Kenny in the movie too. I can totally picture sequels (and given it's box office success, it's an inevitable) where we see more ancient Gods - Rodan, Ghidora, Mothra etc....

I'll be curious to see how Japan's usually fickle audience will embrace this movie... they pretty much rejected "Pacific Rim" but damn.. have you heard how "Frozen" is doing there? It's like Miyazaki X 10, #1 for 10 weeks in a row and counting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 11:56AM by H-man.
Sanjeev (Admin)
H-man
I don't think it was so much about the "arrogance of man" as it was the "insignificance of man" at play here...

Well, yeah. The insignificance was pretty clear (and reasonably enjoyable)...but the direct quote was "arrogance".

[soapbox]
Maybe it's the pro-nuke in me. I guess I'm just annoyed at how nuclear power has become the universal avatar in mainstream media and pop culture for the worst humanity has to offer. Forget the fact that climate change (global warming, for all the uncool kids) is caused *entirely* by humans burning fossil fuels...and not at all by nuclear power. And last time I checked, the TRULY most terrifying things happening on this planet were the direct results of climate change. Obviously, nuke (fission) is HARDLY perfect...but until we figure out fusion, we either start considering nuke as a way to *save* the world...or we just give up on democratizing power generation and let third world countries *stay* third world, while the "developed" countries hoard and burn fossil fuels until the planet revolts and we're back in the stone age.
[/soapbox]

But either way, is digging for uranium REALLY all Hollywood could come up with for the "arrogance of man"??? That's pretty weak.

Anyway, I read that article. It was okay, I guess. I'm generally not a fan of movie reviews that over-intellectualize shit. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Like, the bit about how the audience was led to sympathize with the female MUTO when she smashed Las Vegas was downright asinine. Come on...that's just reading into shit WAY too deeply...just to come up with stuff that supports your argument.

But was the article's main point--that the movie's theme was man's insignificance--really that big a revelation? Edwards figured out that people want a movie where Godzilla is as far beyond us as we are beyond most bacteria. Congratulations...you could've figured that out from any number of previous Godzilla movies. Was the way he pulled it off more clever than your average summer blockbuster? Sure. But that hardly puts this movie on the same level as the original (not that the article's writer outright said that...but he sure seems to be implying it with all the comparisons). But here's the deal: you could have rocked that same theme effectively AND had a more entertaining and more enjoyable human story. And THAT is the criticism I'm hearing the most from other folks.

Oh, and I'm also mad curious to see how Japan will react to this movie...
Yeah, no way the audience would have ever emphasized with that female Muto... you see all those eggs and immediately feel repulsion and horror rather than empathy. But I did go "awww..." a bit when smaller male Muto offered the larger female that nuke when they finally hooked up... that was kind of...sweet.

But I'm sure Godzilla isn't just pissed at man for nukes... I'm sure he'll address Global Warming and McDonald's and Walmart in future sequels.
H-man
But I did go "awww..." a bit when smaller male Muto offered the larger female that nuke when they finally hooked up... that was kind of...sweet.

Yeah, it was freakin' Lady and the Tramp dude. Whaaaaaaa?

I was just surprised by a movie that combined three real-world tragedies in tandem...tsunami, nuclear accident and toppling skyscrapers. Before we had wide-spread and intensive coverage of such events, they never looked as haunting or visceral.

I can imagine this movie having a smash second-life on cable for years to come, can't imagine I'd be turning it off. I agree with Jeevsie that much of the human action was banal at best, but it played more exciting that the majority of the old school Zilla' movies and the convoluted plots I suffered through to get to the pay off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 10:51PM by Supersentai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
That last point's a good one, Adam: the human bits *were* done better than most of the showa-era Godzilla movies. That fact is often lost on fanboy haters.

Ultimately, my beef is more that those human bits simply went on too long...at least in comparison with the kaiju scenes. I honestly think that if they had been able to tell the same human story with the same pacing, impact, etc.--just in HALF the time--I think the movie would have been a hundred times better. Or, alternatively, they could have DOUBLED the length of the kaiju fight scenes.

And for the record, I would LOVE to see Godzilla versus Walmart! ;)

Oh...I keep forgetting to ask: did anyone catch why the fuck MUTO has a EMP as a power? I don't quite recall whether they explained that or not. Like, in the primordial era, were MUTOs really concerned about knocking out people's cell phones???
Sanjeev

Oh...I keep forgetting to ask: did anyone catch why the fuck MUTO has a EMP as a power? I don't quite recall whether they explained that or not. Like, in the primordial era, were MUTOs really concerned about knocking out people's cell phones???

Um... at first I was thinking the EMP was how the MUTO's communicate to each other, but then remembered the whole earthquakes/echolocation thingy that they did.

So I don't know? Unless it's a byproduct of their nuclear diet... how people who eat a lot of garlic has the odor coming out of their pores?
Still haven't seen the new Godzilla yet, but I wanna defend the Showa Godzilla movies for a second. The original Gojira (and I say Gojira and not Godzilla because fuck Steve Martin) has a human story I'm into. I also think Godzilla's Revenge has a pretty great human story. I really related to the poor latchkey kid, almost totally ignored by his parents and getting beat up constantly by the other kids in an industrial hellhole because hey, /that's kind of how I grew up/. Until the goofy robber scenario happens at the end, it's really pretty realistic and I think emotionally involving.

But beyond those two, I totally love the ones where the human part of the story is a ridiculous sci-fi story, like Akira Takarada and Nick Adams in Monster Zero, flying to Planet X, getting tricked by aliens, treacherous alien girlfriend... all good stuff. I also like the goofy alien Planet of the Apes rejects in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. I also think the human part of Godzilla vs. Megalon is memorably ridiculous, with Jet Jeguar and his moronic inventors and kid sidekick, but I suppose it's not genuinely -good-, just funny. There are certainly a lot of Godzilla movies where I am snoring my way through the human part, but I think it's unfair to say "oh the human part in Godzilla movies always sucks so it's totally fine that the new remake is that way, too!"

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer