New Godzilla design (derp)

Posted by Supersentai 
This looks like the real deal...the elephant legs just kill me. Is this an improvement from Gino?

[news.toyark.com]

I am getting the sad again...
Yeah. Nothing looks like this edition of Big G is going to go over well for me. And I was sooo looking forward to the possibility (however slight) that Americans wouldn't fuck the thing up.

More serious than thou
Here's a wacky idea: Why don't they just make Godzilla look like Godzilla?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Well.... it's better than the Iguanazilla... but..... yeah.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Y'know...I'm not gonna lie: I kinda like the new design!

*ducks*

Are there aspects about it I'd like to change? Certainly. But I could say that about ANY previous suit design.

I feel like the most important thing is the head/face. Here, it seems suitably ferocious and animal-like...yet still being immediately recognizable as Godzilla. I like the silhouette. I mean, the suits' heads have gone through some pretty striking changes over the decades, so I don't feel this incarnation is out of line or anything.

I also like the skin texture. It looks like weird reptilian skin. Not necessarily scales...but think more like a tortoise. I hope that the skin moves and flexes in a more natural-looking way than the old craggy latex suits in the final movie. I think this is definitely an improvement over the suits.

It seems like they're keeping the original roar mostly intact. I would've liked to have seen (well, heard) them keep the *exact* old roar...but given the latest trailer, I don't hate the minor alteration.

And dammit....I kinda like the legs! From what I understand, Godzilla's NEVER been this big in a movie...towering over even the design in the late-90's heisei films. Godzilla's legs/feet have *always* been generic t-rex legs. Boring. These legs are more elephantine (or, perhaps more appropriately, brachiosaurus-like )...and that kinda fits the more realistic feel of the movie, especially given his ridiculous size/mass increase.

I've heard a lot of folks complaining about his tail being too long. Yeah, I guess if I were the designer, I'd shorten that too...plus, having a stoopidly-long tail kinda makes for shitty toy-displaying. Trust me--I've got LOTS of kaiju toys. Long-ass tails are a burden. But still...it doesn't really bother me.

Also, people have pointed out that his dorsal fins are too puny. Again, if I were in charge, yeah, I'd probably make 'em bigger...and differently-shaped. I know for sure I would NOT want to make them look like any fins from a previous movie (like the feet, treading the same ground would be lame). But what we have here isn't a deal-killer to me.

I guess the one thing I really don't like are the arms. Too long and too humanoid-shaped. I'm just hoping that because they're longer, maybe the kaiju-on-kaiju fisticuffs will look more interesting. Let's see Goji throw up 52 blocks!!

But just for the record, all of the opinions above are based solely on the images of the 2' toy. Having seen the latest trailer, I have VERY little hope for this movie. I know I shouldn't judge based on a trailer....but it sure seems like another mamby-pamby human interest story like GINO. A fucking disaster film...with occasional footage of a giant monster roaming around. If it's the same wackness as Cloverfield, I will be extremely disappointed. We'll see...
Well to put things in perspective... I forwarded the pictures to my co-workers, complaining about the look and they just shrugged and said "Looks like Godzilla to me."
I guess I didn't say WHY it didn't feel like Godzilla to me, and the answer is he needs his giant fucking spikes on his back!

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
I guess put another way, I don't mind the spikes because they're different. If they had designed huge spikes, they'd have to be arrayed or sculpted pretty uniquely to be okay in my head.

Anyway guys, even if you hate this design, I just CANNOT see how anyone can think this is somehow *worse* than GINO.
I kind of agree with jeeve on this...I don't hate it. Do I love it? Nah, but to me Godzilla is all about how is he (or she) going to look in each movie...Some I like, some not so much.The thing that strikes me about this design is that in a way it looks like it is supposed to look like a man in a suit. Maybe it is the long arms...hmmm...

Another thing to think about is that the toy we are referencing in one of those modern jumbo thingies that Jakks makes. Now I have a couple of their other figures and while I do like them they are not the picture of sculptural corretness. Oh, and one last thing...Why are we not all more excited that a freaking huge Godzilla "jumbo" will be on sale at the local Wal-Mart for around $50....To me that is pretty badass.
Regarding G's spikes... from the few glimpses from the trailers, it appears the spikes are of decent size... so probably the stumpy spikes on the toy is just a safety design choice.
I know that Jeevsie did admit to only "kind of" liking the design...except for the long tail, arms, spikes, etc...(har!).

If you go back and check out GINO, he had weirdly long, muscular arms. I did enjoy the animated version of GINO though, which I hate to admit looks better than this toy does.

I am hoping that the toy is a neutered version of the movie representation. The feet still kill me though, kind of like Gene Simmon's boots. Hope the tail keeps him from tripping because those legs ain't holding that much beef in the air by themselves.
I think it looks good enough to be a Godzilla that's not some dood in a rubber suit. No need to hate. There's more than enough classic variations on Derpzilla to go around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 08:48PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - Derpzilla.jpg (240.5 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, and given what folks are saying about Jakks Pacific, I think it may simply be too early to tell what the *actual* design will be. As for this specific toy, I still don't hate it...but I'm even more curious now what we'll actually see on the screen.
Sanjeev: you are correct I would not rely on Jakks Pacific to give us an accurate scuplt, but I will say that it will probably be a fun toy. I actually don't mind it when a toy's scuplt isn't 100% movie accurate.
Sanjeev (Admin)
fel9
...I actually don't mind it when a toy's scuplt isn't 100% movie accurate.

Really? I fucking hate that.

:P

Nah, but I agree--I have no experience with Jakks Pacific, but a 2' Godzilla toy for, like, $50??? Sign me up! I'm still trying to track down a non-glow Slash reissue of the original Jumbosaurus (sorry--I have NO love for the Shogun Jumbo), and if the Jakks Pacific toy is truly the same height, that'd be fucking killer!
I think the Shogun Zilla' is unfortunate in that they didn't just use the existing Jumbosaurus mold...I would have literally DIED if I had gotten that toy as a kid. But, as a recipient of my Shogun Zilla' as a Santa present on Christmas morning 78 or 79' (I think), with the heavy sandbags sloshing around inside, and a size close enough to butt heads with da' Shogun robots...it was still a dream come true. He's the LAST of my toy collection that I still kept, not sure I could ever let him go.

Yes, it's a stretch to say it LOOKS like Godzilla, but that didn't stop it from being MY Godzilla.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Word up.

Yeah, I didn't have the Shogun Goji growing up...and I'm not even sure I *knew* about him! Had I seen him in a store, I really wonder what my young mind woulda thought about how he looked...

Anyway, yeah, I wonder how "robbed" some collectors felt when they first laid eyes on the Jumbosaurus! :P

That toy's simply magnificent.
I felt awfully violated when I saw what the toy could have been. Prison violated...in the bad way. The way when you go down to the broom locker by yourself and there are these three guys waiting for you...with little bows in their hair...but they're still tough looking and all. And then they close the door behind you. Yeah, I've seen a few gladiator films, but sheepishly wonder why they ask.
Sanjeev (Admin)
LOL

I think the sting would be less if the Popy toy wasn't so damn hard to find! Hell, even the Slash vinyl reissues are nowhere to be found...
I've stumbled on a few loose one's over the years in the $200 range on Evilbay, typically missing the launching hand and requiring a little paint touch-up. I used hardening modeling compound and painted to match for the replacement hand, non-launching. Gave one to my cousin for his 30th (he's also a collector), turned out very displayable.

My best guess is that the size difference between "Jumbo-saurus" and the Shoguns was too much too excuse. Plus, the expense of manufacturing (the fins are cast separate and such) was likely cheaper on the Mattel version.

Has anyone ever been able to interview someone from Mattel back then about how they went about cannibalizing the Popy lines for Shogun consumption? There have to be pictures and marketing docs that covered the decisions about which toys they decided to distribute, as well as the necessity to simplify certain Jumbos (i.e. Daimos and Gaiking) and eliminate some all together (Danguard, Combattler, Voltes).

I personally reached out to Mattel some time ago asking for information on anyone who was around back then who might be able to speak to the line, but haven't heard back (shocking).
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, that'd be some pretty amazing info to find......

If only!
Can now be yours...

[www.ebay.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
So I woke up this morning to my usual automated "Bullmark" eBay search results and saw one of these new Jumbos spammed in among the actual Bullmarks. I then checked eBay for these things...and was promptly shocked to see how high the flipper prices were. Like, these things retail for $45...and I get that not everyone has a TRU near them. But c'mon. I've seen these priced WELL over $100. And people are bidding on them!
Sanjeev (Admin)
So...it's meh. I think I'll pass on the jumbo. As though I had room for that thing anyway... :P

But I *might* consider a smaller one (ST vinyl-sized....9-10" or so).

Anyway, here's a straight-up review of the toy, and here are some half-decent opinions about the design...and a WHOLE bunch of spoilers about Godzilla's origin and the latest rumors about the movie.
New toy pics out there, including mutt-o:

I quite enjoy massive-underbite Zilla...(pics courtesy of godzilla-movies.com)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 02:15PM by Supersentai.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wait. Wut.

You actually think GINO's better than this new movie design???
I can't get past the tiny feet on the new guy...otherwise, he's much closer to the lumbering 90's style I like the most.

But the tiny, itty-bitty elephant looking trunk feet...it kills me...truly.
Here are some pics of the 12" NECA version...

This is definitely no S.H. MonsterFarts killer, and even the smaller figures won't be compatible in scale, but it might be a decent alternative to the Bandai import (which is also coming). Provided it doesn't explode the minute you pick it up. Which it probably will.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 08:08PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - Godzilla-12-Inch-HTT-by-NECA-001.jpg (334.2 KB)
open | download - Godzilla-12-Inch-HTT-by-NECA-002.jpg (265.4 KB)
open | download - Godzilla-12-Inch-HTT-by-NECA-005.jpg (264.2 KB)
open | download - Godzilla-24-Inch-HTT-by-NECA-003.jpg (325.9 KB)
Also, the feet don't bother me. I know I won't persuade anyone this way, but great big animals like elephants and hippos (and other extinct mega-fauna) usually have those tree-trunk like footsies. It relates to supporting their mass. Whenever I look at older Godzilla footseses, they remind me more of ostrich feet - though Godzilla is definitely not build like a bird. And, really, do we need yet another design that looks less like an animal and more like a guy in a rubber suit? Fresh is mo'better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 08:13PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - bird foot.jpg (76.8 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
I personally prefer the look of the old-style bird feed...but just purely for aesthetics. Like, those are the feet *any* stupid giant scifi t-rex should have. But the new design's brachiosaurus-feet just make so much more sense given the tone of the new movie. I can dig it.

I guess I just can't get over *anyone* thinking GINO looks better than the Legendary design for *any* reason whatsoever. GINO was a walking abortion.

Anyway, given everyone's glowing reviews of NECA products these days (har!), I think I'll steer clear of that thing. And besides, isn't their whole thing articulation and realistic sculpting? Eh...don't really give a damn about either for kaiju toys. I'm more interested in those Atomic Roar and Smash Strike figures!

Also, this is the first time I'm seeing Muto. WTF.
If you google Muto you'll see some pretty sinister looking artistic renderings. I think it's a half-decent stab at an adversary.

They've fully embraced the Godzilla used to be an Iguanadon style

[www.google.com]

[www.google.com]

So, if you like yo small foot Iggies, you in luck.
Saw these as the local TRU today. Atomic Roar Zilla was about $38 which seemed kinda on the high side since the jumbo version is $10-20 more. And not sure what to make of Muto… maybe Legendary will get the rights for some other Toho monsters should there be a sequel?
Spoilers:

I guess Muto is actually the final stage of Bryan Cranston's character...see kids...METH is BAAAAAD for YOU!!!
Sanjeev (Admin)
H-man
Atomic Roar Zilla was about $38...

WTF???

Umm...that's WAY more than what I was expecting. Like, 2x more. Fuck that.

As for Muto (or "Hokmuto" now???), it sounds absolutely terrible. They really should have figured out some way to have Godzilla fight an existing (but updated) classic kaiju. A black Cloverfield monster with an extra pair of arms, in my opinion, is a FAR greater crime than elephant-feet! ;)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wait--now NECA is doing a 24" Godzilla???

(this is actually the unpainted figure that Gcrush posted above)

It just seems weird that two licensees would be competing (even if their target markets are somewhat different)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2014 11:50AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - 24HTT_Godzilla_2014_01_zpsfb3ae855.jpg (35.5 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Sanjeev
H-man
Atomic Roar Zilla was about $38...

WTF???

Umm...that's WAY more than what I was expecting. Like, 2x more. Fuck that.

Okay, I did some digging: the Atomic Roar is a pretty beefy figure (not sure the exact height)...just with a pretty corny gimmick, so it's an easy pass. There are two midsized figures, though: Tail Strike and Smash Strike...for about $15 each. They seem to be about 9" tall...but their gimmicks are pretty terrible too.

Seriously, I just wanna sit in on one of these board meetings where grown-ass people say, "yeah, kids will like this". I have to believe that that scene in Big was 100% accurate...well, except for the fact that buildings that turn into robots ARE actually fun (see: Metroplex)! :P
Even Iguanadons have toes.

-Ginrai
Ginrai
Even Iguanadons have toes.

THAT'S WHAT I KEEP SAYING AND EVERYBODY KEEPS LOOKING AT ME LIKE I SWALLOWED A WHOLE BOTTLE OF CRAZY PILLS AND TOOK OVER CLAIRE DANES ROLE ON HOMELAND!~!!~!

I personally see a slight tip of the hat to GINO with the strong underchin design WHICH ONLY MAKES THINGS WORSE!!! Give him some eyebrows like 64' or something, or big goofy happy eyes like the 70's Zilla', but this thing looks like it's suffering from osteoarthritis and a few too many trips to Old Country Buffet!

I guess when we finally see it "animated", it will either feel like Zilla or not. If it climbs up the Sears tower and starts laying eggs, I'm throwing my soda at the screen.
Sanjeev: The Big blu ray has footage from I believe the '80s of actual toy executives spitballing toy ideas and then footage of kids in focus groups saying which toys they think suck ass. It's kind of amazing.

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
LOL

Oh man...I think I gotta see that now!

On the flip side, I wish footage existed of the early 80's focus groups that first introduced He-Man toys. If you get a chance, you should track down a copy of "The Power and the Honor Foundation", the first (and sadly last) of what would be a series of books spotlighting the development of Masters of the Universe. There's AMAZING preproduction artwork, prototypes, and development stories...including one where little boys were *literally* trying to steal the non-jointed hand-sculpted and -painted figure bucks from Mattel's headquarters!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer