Do anime shows and movies suck?

Posted by H-man 
I know everyone is watching this thing, but damn is Attack on Titan a good show. I heartily recommend it.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'll likely check that out after it finishes (only after positive reviews of the ending, of course).

Meanwhile, I finally finished Planetes the other day. I hate to say it, but...meh. Like, it was a good, solid story and all...but they sorta built up a lot of political tension towards the end. And sorta left it unresolved. [Trying to avoid spoilers here.]

Like, I wasn't looking for a *true* resolution for the wars, racism, and classism...but the "have-not" characters were kinda left in the lurch without much satisfaction. The main characters were resolved well enough, I guess...but without addressing the "antagonists", it makes the conflict at the end of the series seem pretty hollow to me...

:/
The current season of "Titan" just completed after 25 episodes and it may be a long while before we see Season 2.... kind of like the "Game of Thrones", the TV version is quickly catching up to the source manga and may need to wait a bit for more for installments of the manga to be published....
I've had a bunch of my friends yell at me about this, but I was immediately turned off by Planetes by its lame typical anime "put the girl in compromising sexual positions immediately lol" intro episode. Just gross and unnecessary as usual.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Lady gingaio walked in on me watching the first episode of Attack on Titan. "What's that?" she asked. "It's a show about giant naked men and children eating regular-sized men, women, and children, and just about everyone I know who's seen it, from friends to colleagues to students, love it." We watched all the episodes in a matter of days, and now we, too, love it (though it's not without its share of filler).

The other day, when she walked in on me looking at pics of Eren and Mikasa Figmas, she said, "You should order those." And so I did. My first Figmas to boot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2013 04:05PM by gingaio.
I think she's a keeper, Chieh...
No doubt, Harvey.
MSW
Sanjeev
Meanwhile, I finally finished Planetes the other day. I hate to say it, but...meh. Like, it was a good, solid story and all...but they sorta built up a lot of political tension towards the end. And sorta left it unresolved. [Trying to avoid spoilers here.]

Like, I wasn't looking for a *true* resolution for the wars, racism, and classism...but the "have-not" characters were kinda left in the lurch without much satisfaction. The main characters were resolved well enough, I guess...but without addressing the "antagonists", it makes the conflict at the end of the series seem pretty hollow to me...

:/

LOL! That is the reason I recommended it!! ... Oh well, different strokes for different folks.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...I'm still glad I watched it. It was a lot more mature and well-produced than most anime I've seen in the last several years (which, granted, hasn't been that many).

But thinking more about Jeremy's point about the sexism, I found that a bit stomach-turning too. Like, sure, Hoshino comes in wearing a diaper...and hijinks ensue. I get it. Fine. But the bit that bothered me more was Tanabe's character, in general. To call her "naive" would be an idiotic understatement. I mean, while they're showing actual scenes from the fucked countries of children starving to death & shit, she stubbornly continues to "believe in people" from her (expressed) privileged point of view.

Is the whole "love conquers all" bullshit *actually* a common aspect of Japanese culture...or is it just another sexist anime trope?
Sanjeev

Is the whole "love conquers all" bullshit *actually* a common aspect of Japanese culture...or is it just another sexist anime trope?

...methinks it's a common aspect in many cultures (especially Western) .... but I'd still like to blame the original Macross.

So I'm eventually going to give "Attack on Titan" a second viewing thru during the long wait for the second season. I pre-ordered the Figma Mikasa and Eren too, but man... Eren sure does have some Shinji Ikari-ness in him and there's a reason toy/hobby companies never did a Shinji figure.

But in the meantime, I'm scanning thru Hulu to see what other anime shows to check out (ugh... still trying... to... get thru... one episode... of Gatchaman "Not Your Father's Science Ninja Team" Crowds) and saw that they have "Tiger and Bunny" which have produced some cool looking toys. Anyone seen that one and is it worthwhile?
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'm told Tiger and Bunny is great from a number of sources...
Sanjeev (Admin)
...none of whom I trust anymore.
I liked Attack on Titan mostly as an action/fantasy series. However I was pretty put out by the far right wing propoganda feel of the whole thing, including the fascist-sounding line about being able to throw away your own humanity--i.e. sacrifice your comrades--to save humanity, and the stuff I mentioned earlier...even the flashy, oft-parodied openings feel like they are partly inspired by Triumph of the Will. Still, the story, action, and characters kept me interested (though I could have done without the lengthy, time-filling recaps at the start of each episode near the end, or some of the other methods used to draw out the length of the running time).

In any case I don't think it's what Sanjeev is after at the moment with its total lack of any real conclusion just yet (yes, they completed a couple of story arcs, but the overall story and mystery is far from over and the manga is still ongoing). And I might well further revise my opinion of the series if it ever continues and the final resolution to the story is repugnant (a la Battlestar Galactica or even the Nausicaa manga...ugh, seriously WTF Miyazaki?). No matter how much I enjoy the telling of a story along the way, a bad ending can sour me entirely on a show or manga.

The comments about Planetes are interesting...some folks like messy endings, some neat endings, some both (I fall into the third camp), depending on how it is told. It makes more more curious about the series yet again. :)

Most folks I know love Tiger and Bunny...I am not one of them. It started fine, but it too quickly turned into a "buddy cop flick" kind of story that wasn't very appealing to me personally (if you enjoy that kind of story though, it might well be your bag). That said, the trick they pulled off in getting big corporate sponsorship for a story that pokes fun at corporate sponsorship was kind of cute if unapologetically brazen.

But then again, I *loved* Gatchaman Crowds (and I *like* the old Gatchaman, with BOTP being my earliest exposure to anime--quickly followed by Star Blazers). The series was a really fun and interesting deconstruction of both Gatchaman and the definition of heroism in an increasingly socially networked society. My only real complaints about it were the awful animation in one episode in particular (obvious budget issues) and that a significant portion of the final episode appears to have been partly cut out of the TV release (hopefully to be fixed in the disc release). Well, that and some of the side characters were not as well-realised and/or were under-utilized. But in any case, it was one of my top three favorite single-season shows last season (the other two being the PomPoko-like magical realism story of tengu and tanuki living in modern day Kyoto, "Uchouten Kazoku" along with the black-humored but rather artfully told "WataMote").

But I mean let's face it, if Gatchaman Crowds had been a straight remake of the original Gatchaman, what would be the point? Sentai stuff has beaten the original Gatchaman's premise into the ground the last 40 years; a straight remake would offer nothing interesting or new and would either only appeal to old fans, or worse not even appeal to them. And we've already had a serious Gatchaman update/remake in the form of the 90s OVA trilogy, along with the live action film in Japanese theaters right now.

Nakamura (who is known as being an avant-garde director to begin with) took Gatchaman and completely turned it on its head, basically taking nearly ever single expectation a Gatchaman fan might have and inverting them. The entire series does a great job of both surprising the viewer each episode as well as making the show fun, not trite and boring. It was particularly interesting comparing my own reactions to that from new fans who were unfamilar with the original premise...there were a number of misleads for both types of viewers, particularly in the nature of Sosai-X and the Galaxters.

But that said, by its very nature, the show has a *very* polarizing effect on viewers. Even if you aren't an original Gatchaman fan, Hajime will either charm the pants off you or annoy the shit out of you...though I've seen some people in the latter category come around after a couple of episodes (usually by episode 3), once the real agendas start to come onto the table.
It's based on your assessment, Microboy, that I'm still trying to give "Gatchaman Crowds" a chance but it's hard.... real hard.You're right about the tone and style though being polarizing and probably an acquired taste. It's probably that element that is keeping me from getting into the show so far... moreso than it being not very Gatchamanish at all...

So "Tiger & Bunny" falls into buddy cop action tropes...but it's never been done as a Mecha Anime show before (I think) so it's got that going, I guess. I'm sure I'll check it out some time soon... just got to finish my binge watch of "Orange is the New Black" with the gf first...
Spoilers for Attack on Titan below....

microbry
I liked Attack on Titan mostly as an action/fantasy series. However I was pretty put out by the far right wing propoganda feel of the whole thing, including the fascist-sounding line about being able to throw away your own humanity--i.e. sacrifice your comrades--to save humanity, and the stuff I mentioned earlier...even the flashy, oft-parodied openings feel like they are partly inspired by Triumph of the Will.

Interesting. I haven't quite come to a conclusion as to the militaristic bent of the show, given that, as you said, the show is far from concluded. That said, I feel that the show--so far, at least--knowingly problematizes the options to the protagonists (was it Levi who told Eren that, more or less, whether you listen to your heart or to your friends you'll never know whether what you chose is right?). For me, that's more or less the operating sentiment of the show, this notion that whatever choice you make under seige, it's going to be bad in some way, and nobody really emerges clean.

For example, early on, we're shown that the people in the inner city (forget the name) sacrificed something like 250,000 of the refugees from the outer city simply to deal with potential overpopulation/starvation problems. In fact, the whole idea of using mass populations as decoys was very reminiscent of the South African plan from World War Z (the book, not the Brad Pitt advertisement), and the various sacrifices made throughout the show have a brutal effect that is as much shocking and repulsive as it is engendering heroic orchestral swells a la Lord of the Rings. There aren't too many orchestral moments in this show, and if there is a justification for the senseless deaths in this war, we haven't come to it yet, or it may not come.

Now the rest of the show/manga may very well trot down the Heinlein Starship Troopers path, or the Lord of the Rings path, but so far at least, I just don't have enough info on whether we're meant to view Eren and his buddies as flat-out heroes who "do what must be done" or such, because so far, the people in the city (Eren's group included) are shown in equal parts human/inhumane and heroic/callous.

microbry
Still, the story, action, and characters kept me interested (though I could have done without the lengthy, time-filling recaps at the start of each episode near the end, or some of the other methods used to draw out the length of the running time).

You mean, you didn't find entire episodes devoted to the female titan running through the woods riveting? :)
Good points! Yeah, I'm not completely sure myself yet, it's more just that "vibe" I feel at times with little things like that along with the Dot Pixis "controversy" that leave me with some concern. But it's managed to keep me roped in so far all the same.

Gotta love the chanted German lyrics in the first opening...

And, yeah, I did say the methods used to draw out the length of the *running time*, didn't I? ;)
MSW
H-man
So "Tiger & Bunny" falls into buddy cop action tropes...but it's never been done as a Mecha Anime show before (I think) so it's got that going, I guess.

*cough* Galvion.
So much anime on Netflix and Hulu... so little time!

Eureka Seven - I started this many many years ago but stopped for some reason but decided to continue with it again since Hulu has all 50 episodes. I like the look and style of Bones (animation production company who also did "Rahxephon" and "Full Metal Alchemist") and this show takes it time with the character development thing but 15 episodes in, I'm still finding a hard time keeping up with the motivations and central plot (or finding any of it compelling)..... like the air surfing/transforming mechs though.

Psycho-Pass - this is a good one, especially if you like Blade Runner/Minority Report future scifi/crime procedurals produced by the guys who did the Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex series (Production I.G).

Fate Zero/ Fate Stay Night - Prequel Zero is definitely better than the sappier Stay Night but they're both fun shows....and I think I want those Saber and Archer chogokins now....

Sword Art Online - 3 episodes in and not sure if this one will be a keeper... players stuck in a virtual fantasy role playing game and have to beat the game to survive.
Sanjeev (Admin)
So I decided to try out Gundam Unicorn. I'm 4 episodes in...and I know remember why anime sucks...

I also downloaded the new Yamato series. Should I even bother starting it?
I will say just this: hell yes.
Out of curiousity, what bugs you most about Unicorn? Not that I'm arguing the point...I enjoyed Unicorn, but it never really had me by the collar, I was more just "along for the ride" the whole way. The ending was, if not unexpected, a bit of a let down for me, too, even if it is following the traditions of prior UC Gundam outings.

Yamato is Yamato. I mean, it really, REALLY is Yamato. The start is a little rough around the edges and the CG ships take some initial getting used to by both viewer and staff. But man, is it Yamato. No fan of the original series should NOT see it and where this new journey leads to. And anyone who has never seen Yamato and has any interest in SF anime should see it as well, it's hands down some of the best anime has had to offer yet. Truly epic space opera.
Sanjeev (Admin)
No spoilers...I haven't finished Unicorn yet! But, yeah, it's pretty meh. The animation is beautiful...even if the CG mecha are tough to get used to. The problem is the plot, the characterization, and the dialog as a whole. I mean, it's so fucking dated. Clearly, Gundam hasn't evolved one iota since the 80's...BECAUSE IT'S THE SAME FUCKING STORY. The same basic political intrigue with only some "villains" getting proper characterization (while the rest are just flat, mustache-twirling caricatures). The same mecha action (where a bunch of normal MS' fight...until one uber-suit flies in and fucks everyone senseless). The same main character (the hyper-emo, hyper-privileged emo teen boy ends up with one of those uber-suits...but can't decide on how to use it).

This whole "Laplace's Box" seems like THE dumbest plot device ever. The reveal better be fucking worth it.

I think the only thing I'm enjoying about the show is the love interest. The relationship between Banagher and Mineva Zabi is actually kinda not terrible.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Yamato. But full disclosure: I couldn't stand Starblazers as a kid! So...my mileage may vary... (i.e., prepare for a scathing review that will likely piss everyone off! LOL)
I'd love to see the new Yamato (enjoyed the live action movie) ... it IS getting an official release here in the States as "Star Blazers 2199" right?

And yeah, Gundam... I pretty much given up on it around the time of "Gundam Seed"....
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, the live-action movie was okay. Except for Analyzer. I hope they do a better job of rendering him in the cartoon.

H-man
... it IS getting an official release here in the States as "Star Blazers 2199" right?

Yup. But you can watch it subbed now...torrents for it are easy to find.

And yeah, Gundam... I pretty much given up on it around the time of "Gundam Seed"....

Same. But I heard this new show was UC and was based on a pretty popular novel series. Man, you'd think Japan's premiere giant robot scifi franchise would suck a whole lot less...
Sanjeev
Yeah, the live-action movie was okay. Except for Analyzer. I hope they do a better job of rendering him in the cartoon.

They do. He's pretty faithful to the original, other than not sexually harrasing anyone this time around (instead they left that to the wardrobe department...sheesh...). There's actually a pretty great episode that deals with his interactions with a captured Gamilas android that really felt like a missing episode from the original (perhaps it was...they did resurrect several parts from the original's story outline that were cut from the final broadcast version when it was shortened to 26 epsiodes, such as the attempted coup d' etat on Gamilas, the prison world, and much more!).

H-man
... it IS getting an official release here in the States as "Star Blazers 2199" right?

Yup. But you can watch it subbed now...torrents for it are easy to find.

Actually the first disc or two are out of SB 2199. They are doing a horrible job on marketing it though, including taking down the original StarBlazers.com site with its truly tremendous archive of translated articles and more by Tim Eldred, and replacing it with an Engrishy mess that hosts a youtube video that is trashy beyond words.

Fortunately, Tim resurrected the original site at OURstarblazers.com, and what isn't there can be found still using the Internet Archive's WayBack Machine. But Voyager Entertainment really seems to be incompetent to put it mildly at handling the official US release. Meanwhile, the original Japanese BDs already include an English subtitle track and Japan's region code is the same as the US...

Same. But I heard this new show was UC and was based on a pretty popular novel series. Man, you'd think Japan's premiere giant robot scifi franchise would suck a whole lot less...
[/quote]

I'm going to destroy all my credibility now and mention that I rather enjoyed Seed. Certainly more than any other non-UC Gundam series and more than a couple UC ones as well. I liked it as a sort of over the top, melodramatic pulp pastiche of the various prior Gundams, with a remixed retelling of First and Zeta mixed with elements from Wing and others, and even a few nods to other mecha/sf anime. That said, I went in with pretty lowered expectations, and watched it as a set of marathon binge views rather then slogging through it week by week, and thus also able to skip recaps and such.

I'm certainly not going to defend it for excellent writing or super-compelling characters, but at a time when there wasn't much else to watch mecha/SF-wise, it filled that void well enough for me. And now I've seen all of Unicorn, I feel Seed was more my thing in the end than that series was.

And Lacus was pretty awesome doing her Minmay/Voice of Arcadia/Captain Yurika Nadesico thing. Or Waltfeld doing the Ramba Rall thing with his Dancougar Zoid...[gundam.wikia.com]

Back on track though, at least the next big budget Gundam series replacing Unicorn is Gundam the Origin, based on the popular adaptation of (and partial prequel to) the First series by Yasuhiko Yoshikazu himself. Now that looks kinda good!

[www.youtube.com]
Sanjeev
So I decided to try out Gundam Unicorn. I'm 4 episodes in...and I know remember why anime sucks...

The ending is going to piss you off big time. It goes way beyond the level of stupidity you would usually expect from a Gundam story by specifically invoking levels of stupidity from previous story lines. It's a miserable fucking mess. The "characters" in a Gundam story exist for the same reason that 1980s pornos used "characters" like plumbers and delivery men - they're there just long enough to get you to the action. The problem is that Gundam writers forgot that critical premise and instead tried to develop a teenage boy with the unwritable name BANAGHER into something interesting like a SPACENOID who fuels his GIANT ROWBUTT with the power of LOVE and sometimes ANGST.

For all the cold-and-calculated scifi pretext that the sleek lines of their mecha put forth the typical Japanese story behind them is usually hippy-dippy as all get out. Fuck.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, good to hear that Tim Eldred's content hasn't been lost forever. But it IS weird to know that "Star Blazers 2199" is already out...and so few of us--theoretically, the intended audience--were aware of it...

I've heard Seed and all the follow-up shows are fairly miserable. Sorry, Bry...but I'm NOT about to give it a shot. Not when my tv-viewing time is so limited...and there's still Mazinger Z, Grendizer, and a whole bunch of other old-school stuff to watch.

And the idea of Gundam Origin doesn't do much for me either. More of the same. Great. Well, I'll keep an open mind, but this time around, before jumping in headlong, I wanna actually get reviews of the entire show once it's finished. I didn't do that with Unicorn...and look how that turned out! :P

And speaking of which, I finished it last night. G, your perception of the facts is absolutely correct, however I disagree with the conclusion that it goes beyond the level of stupidity one would normally expect from Gundam. I actually found that the stupidity level was perfectly in-line with your typical Gundam crap. Like, watch Char's Counterattack again. Or, rather, DON'T. Actually...I'd say that Unicorn was basically just a Universal Century remix. We've seen EVERY FUCKING PLOT/CHARACTER ELEMENT from Unicorn before--and often repeatedly--just in different combinations and spread out through different series.

So I guess if you're a diehard UC Gundam fanboy, you were happy as a pig in shit. I'm a fan, I guess...and I was expecting exactly what I got, so I guess I don't feel that disappointed. But it *would* have been nice if they, y'know, tried something fucking different after 30 goddamn years.
I really like the original Gundam TV show and movies, but I totally hate Char's Counterattack. Will I like Unicorn?

-Ginrai
Oh I certainly wasn't trying to recommend Seed, I was just saying that I enjoyed it for what it was, that's all. The only way I'd reccomend it to a more oldschool robots fan might be to play up its almost super robot-like qualities, but frankly if you're looking for that in a Gundam series, there's others out there more bent to that angle (as almost antithetical as it seems for a Gundam show).

It's more an almost sloppy, dopey kind of appreciation for me where the series all but self-consciously basks in its own rolling out of all the tropes. Basically a Gundam series that *knows* it's all just trashy pulp and runs with it.

I totally agree with you on Unicorn, Sanjeev, including the bit about Char's Counterattack, which I've never really understood why it was so well-liked. It's like the author figured that fans not only wanted more New Types, but also all the silly metaphysical climatic stuff that goes with them.

Now Knights of Sidonia, which is coming out on Netflix, now that's getting back into some good oldschool mecha SF...best thing of that nature I've watched so far probably since VOTOMS.

Here's another fan:
[www.animenewsnetwork.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ginrai
I really like the original Gundam TV show and movies, but I totally hate Char's Counterattack. Will I like Unicorn?

Highly unlikely, is my guess.

And just for full disclosure, I grew up in a sort of middling era of anime that was mostly pre-internet and all-umpteenth-generation bootlegged VHS. So I actually ended up seeing stuff like Char's Counterattack and F91 well before the original MSG (and even then, it was only when Bandai released the compilation movies on VHS). Boy, was I confused! But anyway, over the years (especially in college...where I had the benefit of computers/internet), I learned what time it was...but by then, I was already fairly well acclimated to Gundam's...ambiguity. So maybe I'm a bit desensitized to all that metaphysical, hippy-dippy NewType stuff...
So does current consensus still hold that ZGundam is the best of the Gundam series?

I admit I had to slog my way thru the show (have the big ass ADV box set with the pencil toppers) and though mostly enjoyed it, it still felt like a bit of a chore to sit thru. For me The MS 08th OAV series is the most fun of the Gundam that I have seen ...
I totally do NOT think Zeta is the best of Gundam.

-Ginrai
It's funny, a lot of my friends who were anime fans in the 80's insist Zeta is the best. I still need to watch through it again someday with actual subtitles. Frankly I think that's more a combination of what Gundam they were first exposed to and the improvement in mecha design. If you ask most fans from Japan, the original Gundam series or the resulting trilogy is the best Gundam ever.

I've had 08th on the backpile forever, I've only ever managed to sit through a few episodes for some reason. Currently it's on my laptop with a few other random shows and movies I plan to catch up on soon.
Hey, I liked Seed too... basically an updated alternate reality UC but with more teenaged boys and more Gundams. But Seed Destiny... between what seemed like a drastically lowered budget and a drastic change in direction with the storytelling/main characters, it kinda fell flat. That having been said, I'm surprised they didn't milk that cow again; was Destiny really that unpopular? Merchandise-wise, it certainly seemed to me to be more popular than anything that followed (Age, Build Fighters, whatever).

I'll admit, that when I was a kid and first watched Mobile Suit Gundam (without subtitles, in a Japanese store in the mall while my parents shopped), I didn't care about the military aspect, I couldn't understand why Bright was slapping Amuro around when it was obvious Amuro saved their bacon all the time, and I loved all the different mechs, especially the over the top mobile armors. So I basically fell for the merchandising (and honestly, me not understanding what they were saying made it hard for me to grasp the subtleties of the story). So I may be a little skewed in liking Seed.

Also, as a kid, I really disliked Camille in Zeta and wanted Amuro to take back the spotlight. That's pretty much exactly what happened in Seed Destiny, and I hated it.

That's a bummer that Unicorn's ending sucked. I have the first Blu-ray, which was one of the first domestic releases that was really just the Japanese release, and priced that way, before I came to my senses and figured I'd wait for a cheaper (yet still legal) option.

Ok, I was just browsing RightStuf (to buy Tiger and Bunny... don't judge me!)... that Voyager release of Star Blazers 2199 is basically 45 bucks for four episodes, no discount? I know, I know, a bargain compared to the Japanese release, but this isn't the Japanese release, right?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 05:12PM by fujishig.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I thought 08th MS Team started out okay...but then sorta petered out to the typical ambiguous Gundam ending. No crazy NewType shit...but still pretty meh.

Never saw Zeta, but I'm told it was pretty damn solid. Just not the compilation movies. But I *did* enjoy what I saw of the original MSG.

fujishig
Ok, I was just browsing RightStuf (to buy Tiger and Bunny... don't judge me!)...

Heh...I actually hear that show's good. JoshB has been raving about it recently...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 05:18PM by Sanjeev.
Is Voyager going to be like the "Harmony Gold" of all things Yamato/Star Blazers.... having such a stronglehold on the domestic rights to the property that it actually deters accessibility and enjoyment of its fans?

Oh, "Tiger & Bunny" is definitely worth a look... a lot of fun. Watched it right after completing "Attack on Titan" - yikes, talk about a 180 degree tonal shift!
Ok, ok, I bought Accel World too. Now you can judge me.

Tiger and Bunny just seems like one of those "it-got-popular-enough-that-it's-cool-to-hate-it" shows, you know, like Attack on Titan and SAO. But I'm a sucker for superheroes, battlesuits, and Masakazu Katsura.
I think 08th MS Team had a pretty unambiguous ending, but then it had an extra episode after that for no reason that was total bullshit and just don't watch it.

-Ginrai
Aw, I like Accel World and Sword Art Online (same author, shared universe set several years apart or so). A bit too much Gary Stu and the writing is fairly adolescent for the most part, but the settings are interesting and entertaining. It's fun shounen pulp, even as Kirito is too overpowered and Harayuki whines too much for far too long.

I couldn't get into Tiger and Bunny, but probably for the reasons some here might like it--too western comic-bookish for my taste, and the self-conscious "sponsorship" shtick is a bit too much in my face. Mostly it started to play out like a buddy cop veteran/rookie series, and that mixed with the above was just not really my cup of tea somehow, at least not as written in the early episodes I watched. I guess it felt too much like I was watching an American TV show.

I interpreted Destiny a bit differently. I saw Athrun as Quatro (even down to the shades), and basically the series as a what if Char took over Zeta and overshadowed Camille almost completely. I did kind of like that Shinn was kind of shoved more and more to the wayside as the series progressed, as he seemed to be kind of the archetypical wannabe Gundam hero pilot that I wanted to see put in his place. But yeah there was a lot of messiness in Destiny and the character designs kind of went downhill as well. I didn't hate it though. Again it helped that I didn't have to watch the increasing number of filler recap episodes, too, though. Seed was the better of the two by far in any case.

Unicorn's ending didn't so much suck horribly as much as it just was more metaphysical NT fluff once again...it could have been a lot worse, and wasn't particularly surprising, but it certainly could have been much better, too. I guess I mean, it was just meh, as opposed to outright awful, at least IMHO. YMMV and all that stuff.

Yeah, $45 for four episodes. Voyager is basically just doing this out of Japan and think they can follow the Japanese model for directly marketing to fans...including this "Yamato News" garbage:

[www.youtube.com]
Ah I didn't even notice the athrun/Quattro thing, probably because there's already an analogue or two for Char in Seed. Regardless Kira/Amuro completely takes over at a certain point, without even much of a mech upgrade to speak of.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer