Do action figures really suck?

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hey, there's one of these for every topic nowadays, right?

So I just got wind of this madness:
[www.figures.com]

No, Super7's Alien "ReAction" figures isn't news. In fact, they seem pretty damn popular given how much the SDCC "test shot" figures are being flipped for on eBay! But what IS news is that, now with Funko backing, they're expanding the line to Predator, Terminator, and many other properties. Escape from New York? Uh...okay.

What do people think of these?

Like gingaio and I were mentioning in the scifi movie thread, sometimes a toy bristling with joints and accessories isn't desirable. Granted, if we're talking vintage action figure designs, I'll take a Microman over a Kenner Star Wars guy any day...but I can dig that Kenner style. At least those figures were absolutely bulletproof.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about a 3-3/4" Predator line done in this style though. I mean, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the 90's Kenner Aliens/Predator figures to begin with (which is mostly why I haven't bothered with the new Super7 figures...I don't really need an action figure of Sigourney Weaver)...
I'm happy for the Super 7 folks... this should be a pretty big deal. And if anything, hopefully help fund their other toy projects like the Star Wars Jumbos etc...

And I have to admit, knowing that the price point of the Alien figures will go down has caused me to give them a second look.... and though I'm not absolutely sold on the others, I'd love to see what they do with the Escape from New York, Aliens and FIREFLY properties.
I'm not a fan of this time traveling toy bullshit. Producing the Alien stuff is cool because they were prototyped and nearly made at a specific point in time; the aesthetic is balls-out authentic. Producing, say, Terminator stuff is not fine because they were never prototyped at that time period and they're trying to recreate a particular aesthetic; that's some phoney shit because it supercedes the actualy aesthetic of the stuff that was actually produced.

If we think of toys as an art form, this backroproduction idea is akin to Enlightenment artists making pocket versions of Renaissance works in a Classical style.

Like, what the fuck? Is there a market for that? Why?
I don't know how many units they have to sell to make new "retro-sculpting" profitable, but I wince at the idea of Goonies and Bill/Ted figs, and can imagine this whole house of cards crashing in onto its self rather quickly. 14 separate properties slated for one year? Ambitious much? Crash much either?

As far as the time travel aesthetic...if the Voltron "Jumbos" had lived up to being Shogun Warrior kin as opposed to hyper-sized vinyloids, there may have been a case to be made there. If somebody was able to resurrect the Jumbo Goggle V, who wouldn't buy it? If they were to add on a classic-type Bioman, Dynaman, or even a Liveman jumbo, they'd be hard to turn down. But they'd still be rooted in history as potential for that form of treatment, as opposed to taking something outside of that time and applying retro-tooling.
I will admit to biting on the Alien figures....I like that they are based on prototypes that never got made. That is pretty much why I pre-ordered.

I also will cop to being intrigued by a couple of those licenses (Aliens and Firefly). let me also say the being intrigued does not mean I am buying. It means I'll wait and see. I will also say that some of the licenses are indeed cringe worthy...Let's face it kids just because it was made in the 80 does not mean it is good...do you hear me...Heck some of those announced licenses have crappy 5pof figures that I am sure you could hunt down for a fraction of the $15.00 asking price...

On a side note...The Funko people do a pretty good job managing that Pop vinyl line they have had going for quite a long time now. How many different licenses do they have tied up in that line...Seems like just about everything really...AND not only is does it incorporate just about everything, the Pop vinyl line seems to always have figures hitting at the right moment. If this line is run as well as that one it will be interesting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2013 06:47AM by fel9.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush
Producing the Alien stuff is cool because they were prototyped and nearly made at a specific point in time; the aesthetic is balls-out authentic. Producing, say, Terminator stuff is not fine because they were never prototyped at that time period and they're trying to recreate a particular aesthetic; that's some phoney shit because it supercedes the actualy aesthetic of the stuff that was actually produced.

^^Nah, I don't buy it.

That argument sounds totally arbitrary. Like, you're arbitrarily choosing to draw your own personal okay/not-okay line at whether or not the media franchise existed at the time the toy aesthetic originally existed. That's totally cool...but there's no real logic there...it's just a personal choice.

So what if Terminator came out after 5-POA PVC action figures became obsolete? I have no interest in any of these toys, but I can totally see someone who loves that style of action figure AND who loves Terminator being crazy about the idea of mashing them together. And don't we talk about stuff like this all the time on this board? I mentioned making Popy ST-style diecast figures of the Pacific Rim mecha and folks seemed to dig the idea!

Also, isn't pretty much the *entire* Japanese sofubi industry dedicated to producing toys of characters (licensed or not) in a manufacturing process that's laughably obsolete, and in an aesthetic (style of sculpt) that's roughly forty years old? LOL For us, robot guys, to ask if there's a market for that is almost a bad joke! There ain't too many of us left who give a fuck about robots...while classic Bullmark-style sofubi is considered fine art these days...
Sanjeev
That argument sounds totally arbitrary. Like, you're arbitrarily choosing to draw your own personal okay/not-okay line at whether or not the media franchise existed at the time the toy aesthetic originally existed. That's totally cool...but there's no real logic there...it's just a personal choice.

Naw, man. There's some criteria. The Alien shit is cool because it's finishing a project that was nearly complete decades ago. The Goonies shit is absurd because: first, it's Goonies and; second, retro action figures of human characters suck ass with a force so horribly strong that the amount of time it takes for your cerebellum to travel through your anus can't even be measured in nano-seconds. Let me say that again: 5POA human figures are the event horizon of the toy world. Witness Friar Shitpants from Robin Hood:

Notice how skillfully it takes an awesome concept like a green bipedal pigman with an axe and turns it into Dom Delouise in He-Man drag?* Did you even realize how quickly your rectum prolapsed before the pain registered in your visual cortex? So while I can believe that some people would be excited about a vintage-esque Ripley figure being salvaged like the Sulaco, if it wasn't already a legendary dream-to-be-realized then no one would bat an eye because, frankly, the figure looks like your friend Johnny's single mom on her way to work in the Chevy plant across town, she already looks overworked and lonely.

Now, about the PacRim comparison - no, it doesn't work for, say, Terminator faux-retro figures because PacRim had no vintage history while Terminator is full of it. Here's an example of how retro style can be applied to new properties without sucking because those properties are unattached to any specific history:

Johnny Ryan's sofubi of Cannibal Fuckface is awesome all around! And I think a similar faux-vintage take on Packed Rimmers could be, too - because they are non-human designs that have no previous history to speak of.

As for the sofubi point in general... I don't see it for a few reasons. First, most sofubi are not based on ordinary human characters; that automatically gives them a leg-up in broader appeal. Second, as you noted, sofubi is a combination of aesthetics and (artisanal) manufacturing that expanded over time to fill an artistic expression; the faux-retro 5POA is an inversion of trends that seeks to fill a vacum that never existed. Third, the growth in the sofubi market has been about color, detail, absurdity, and novel subjects; if you look at faux-retro sofubi the results are usually disappointing. Compare Sofubi Vader and Dester Commando - which one is more exciting?

Again, the Alien figures are like completing a project after decades of it being lost to time. But creating some a product to fill a void that never existed, or worse yet bypasses a history of product that did, seems misguided. In the niche of toy art this seems like a niche within a niche.

Here's another analogy for how I see it:

Imagine there was a prototype for a 3" Shogun Warriors Voltron that is known to have existed. Someone recovers or recreates the prototype after decades of it being lost. Awesome! We finally get the 3" Shogun Warriors Voltron That-Never-Was-But-Almost-Came-To-Be!

Now imagine that someone decides to make a 3" Shogun Warriors Megazord. That might still be a little interesting, even though there is plenty of real vintage Megazord stuff out there.

But now imagine that someone is making a 3" Shogun Warrior David Yost figure. That would be "Billy, the Blue Ranger" without the "Blue Ranger" costume. That might be a hilarious (if not absurdly niche) joke that five people on the planet might get and would no doubt fill them with some sense of cultural superiority. But is that anything to get excited about?

Frankly, I see faux-retro toys like Chunk from Goonies as pretty much being the David Yosts of the toy shelf.

* For the record, I had a Friar Shitpants figure once upon a time for the very reason that it was horrible enough to be featured in an H.P. Lovecraft story.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2013 09:39PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - friar shit pants.jpg (31.7 KB)
open | download - to the Chevy plant.jpg (58.4 KB)
open | download - cannibal fuckface.jpg (272.4 KB)
open | download - sofatbi.jpg (89.7 KB)
Hmmm..... I think Gcrush's argument is airtight, if only because of that Dom Deluise Gomarean Guard pig fig (is that for real?!?). So yeah, 5 POA retro-neo renditions of HUMAN characters suck. But I reserve the right to change my mind if that Summer Glau action fig turns out HAWT.
How is this any different the faux retro Glacialord wanna be Transformers toy?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
It's funny in that this discussion seems to be veering toward highbrow toy culture versus lowbrow, insofar as which retro properties have or deserve more cultural cachet. So a retro-new toy that ignores or circumvents the existing toy history of a property sucks, and retro-new toys that adhere to the existing toy history of a property, or that involve properties with no toy histories at all are okay...is that right?

Such discussions are often highly fraught with healthy doses of subjectivity. I tend to agree a bit with 'Jeev's point that this is all a tad arbitrary, in that my toy criterion is even more stringent than Mr. Crush's:

My criterion was that if a toy had never been released, even if it had reached the prototype stage, then it wasn't part of the toy canon that I needed to fill. So in refining my now nonexistent modern TF collection, I removed all figures that were NOT updates of preexisting toys, and this meant removing Arcee, Unicron, and so forth, because G1 toys of those characters were never mass produced, and the updates meant nothing to me as a result. That said, I'm not a little bit insane.

Fansproject's Glacial Bot thingies fits into the discussion, though in a reverse way. That is, instead of playing off of an existing property/character, FP is inventing a character and tacking it on to an existing toy history. Like counterfactual history.

I understand Mr. Crush's criterion, though the art analogy doesn't really work for me, simply because a mass-produced toy isn't comparable to a piece of art.

Anyway, to Mr. Crush's point: A retro figure of David Yost/Blue Ranger would be the equivalent of a Robin Thicke record in which Thicke appropriates R & B and soul sounds with varying degrees of inauthenticity and shallowness, and a retro figure of Voltron would be like a previously unreleased/undiscovered Curtis Mayfield album, and it would therefore have more value in terms of things like authenticity and cultural/historical import. Or something like that...my analogy matrix is busted at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2013 11:38PM by gingaio.
High brow, low brow....bah different points on the same circle...today's trash culture is tomorrows haute couture is the next day's trash again... Anyone older than 35 knows this...The real question is how far are you willing to go to tickle that nostalgia spot in your brain. It all depends on price and quality...

For example am I willing to buy Wizards of the Coast horrible reprints of first edition AD&D books at $30.00us a pop.....ummmm....no....
Will I scour the internets for .pdf or .mobi versions that have been lovingly formatted by like minded geeks for my kindle....ummm....yes...

Now to translate that to this line of toys...If Funko goes with this line the same direction that they did with the POP! line (and that is a HUGE if), will I pick up a "vintage" Alien while standing in line at the Barnes and Noble? Let's see...Zero effort to hunt down and I already have my card out?...The answer is yes. Will I do the same for Chunk from the Goonies...No...Will I watch the Goonies in the middle of the night on deep cable?...probably...

On a slightly related note....My wife who is a huge "man in suit" Godzilla fan and has been know to geek out to any sort of "monster eating people" type of property, said the depending on how they look that she would like to own the Dark Crystal figures from this line. Which made me think about why many people find the POP! figures so appealing... A ton of different liscenses done in the same style all sitting on the shelf together is pretty darn awesome especially if you co-habitate with someone who has different but slightly related interests. Just sayin....
Funko just released pre-orders for the other lines of ReAction figures... 60 figures in all!!!

[www.collectiondx.com]

I think I'm really going to need that Rocketeer figure... and maybe a Snake Plissken.
MSW
The minute I saw that, I pre-ordered all five Firefly figures...and I haven't bought a action figure in nearly 30 years!

As long as they keep the motto "What would Kenner do?" when designing these figures, they will be mighty tempting.
Sanjeev (Admin)
More pics were posted on Entertainment Earth, but they got yanked soon after. Luckily, I left my browser open and snatched some pics:

For a lot of these properties (Terminator, Aliens, Predator), the *actual* Kenner figures from the late 80's to early 90's are perfectly fine for me. They went away from the skinny 3-3/4" humanoid format and embraced the more He-Man-like "fight figure" format...and I think they make for more enjoyable toys.

That said, a chrome endoskeleton might just find its way into my collection! But those new Predators look WAY less interesting in just about every way than the actual vintage Kenner ones.

I could see myself throwing down for a Snake Plissken or two...only because Escape from New York was a staple of my childhood (it must have been on tv at least once a week)!

And as much as I enjoyed Firefly, I'm not sure I'd be interested in SW Kenner-style figures of the cast. In fact, I don't think I "need" ANY figures of the cast, to be honest. Hey, I loved The Wire, too...but I've never pined for a drunk McNulty/Bunk two-pack! Plus, I'd be on the fence about Firefly figures for the same reason G mentioned: it's NOT an old show...so having old-style toys of the characters just seems too contrived. Of course, to *my* original point, it's totally arbitrary...and I can see other fans (MSW!) being psyched for them.

By the way, if y'all don't know what Fansproject's Glacialbots are, go on youtube and check out a review of them. Fucking amazing. THAT'S how you do retro toys...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 11:54AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - pred1.jpg (40 KB)
open | download - pred2.jpg (40.4 KB)
open | download - endo.jpg (43.7 KB)
open | download - snake2.jpg (41.8 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Speaking of retro stuff, here's some coverage of Medicom's Wonderfest booth from this weekend. TONS of retro sofubi:
[kaijukorner.blogspot.com]

I'm not a huge fan of most of it, but at least fans who can't find/afford vintage sofubi can get these modern figures. They're still kinda pricey (~$80 for a standard-sized figure?), but at least they're not hard to get your hands on them...
The actual vintage Kenner Terminator endoskeleton rules! It has cool stretchy rubber for those piston things in the side of the stomach and that is used to give it punchy action. What a good toy. I miss it.

-Ginrai
I wonder if you can combine the Geeg and Panzeroid sofubi's...?

Also noticed the first new pics of Figma's Avengers figures the first pics from .... was it 2 years ago? At least it's good to know they're still planning on doing the characters.

And re: ReAction figures.... I'm kind of digging the look of Plissken... has a bit of a streamlined, animation look to him...like something from Justice League Unlimited. And a chrome T-800 endoskeleton may just fit well alongside the other chromey classic SW figs like C-3PO and Death Star Droid.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, I assume the Jeeg and Panzeroid sofubi combine. Seems like it'd be silly if they didn't! Plus, Medicom has recently shown that they're not afraid to do accessories, mask-off features, and other sofubi "gimmicks"...

Anyway, while it's hard to fuck up a chrome endoskeleton, I'm still a little on the fence about the human figures...especially Snake. Like, I get that the face sculpts are intentionally derpy...but a lot of them are just TOO derpy, y'know? And that just makes the whole retro thing feel like a hollow affectation...

...As though it didn't already. :P
Here's the pics of the rest of the planned figures.... I dunno... is the collectors market really clamoring for a Quentin Tarantino in a bath robe figure or George McFly figure or a Willow from Buffy? But I'm sure Gcrush already has THE GIMP on pre-order....

[www.entertainmentearth.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wow....a lot of these are looking....bad. And not in a good way. Heh...many of these actually remind me of the umpteen-zillion 3-3/4" bootleg action figures out there (from all the resin-casting Sucklord copycats). But at least these Funko figures will be vastly cheaper and more durable.

Uh...

Then again...if you have a free minute and are in the mood for a chuckle, research Funko's recent Game of Throne debacle! Apparently, these toys have the worst QC in the history of mass-produced toy production! :P

Anyway, I like the Freddy sculpt...but I've never felt the need for a Freddy action figure. As for the other sculpts...meh. The other characters I'm interested in just look a little too much like they were sculpted out of used chewing gum. And what's up with Pinhead from Hellraiser? Why even bother doing a figure of him when they knew it'd be impossible to do the pins...in his head??? So dumb.

I'll probably pick up the chrome endoskeleton--just for the sake of a chrome endoskeleton (even though, as Jeremy mentioned, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the ACTUAL vintage Kenner ones!)--and maybe the Snake Plisskens...but everything else looks like a pass.

Oh, speaking of there being nothing wrong with the actual vintage figures, why did they even bother to do Universal Monster figures??? The Remco ones are perfection.
H-man
Here's the pics of the rest of the planned figures.... I dunno... is the collectors market really clamoring for a Quentin Tarantino in a bath robe figure or George McFly figure or a Willow from Buffy? But I'm sure Gcrush already has THE GIMP on pre-order....

This is exactly what I'm talking about. While I may have a mature and sincere interest in a leather bondage faux-retro action figure, will the wider consumer audience feel the same? I doubt it. Most of those figures are just people, and I maintain that people make the worst subjects for interesting action figures because they're absolutely the most boring. Even the spacey Firefly figures look boring as fuck because the Firefly characters themselves were boring as fuck in their decidedly non-spacey boring as fuck Hawaiin shirts and slacks.* How fucking boring is that!

Sanjeev
Wow....a lot of these are looking....bad. And not in a good way. Oh, speaking of there being nothing wrong with the actual vintage figures, why did they even bother to do Universal Monster figures??? The Remco ones are perfection.

I had a set of those Remco ones when I was a kid. I looked up how much they're going for on Evilbay and I was shocked. The ReAction ones seem like a cheap alternative, so I guess there's some limited appeal to them. Plus they're making a Bride. (Though they did fuck up Frankenstein's colors. Boo!)

I can't even begin to understand how their sales forecasting worked on this line. Rolling out 50+ original sculpts for an inaugural lineup? That seems nuts, like they're betting the bank on it. Though who knows what the actual costs are like? Maybe this style of figure is really cheap to make. Or maybe they are simply breaking even in order to use ReAction as marketing for their more profitable lines. I can't wrap my head around it. But, then again, I can't wrap my head around the profitability of making bobble heads. How the fuck does a company make money doing that? Who the fuck buys those?

Side note on the Game of Frowns figures - whatever their QC issues might be, my recent experience with NECA surely beats them. I bought two Alien/s figures and immediately upon opening they broke nine joints between them. One figure exploded in my hands like TNT at the base of every major limb despite having no chemically reactive components used in its construction. Nuts.

* I will never, ever understand the love Firefly gets. I was forcibly subjected to it years ago and it bored me out of my skull. The fundamental premise of Chinese-Speaking Caucasian Intergalactic Cowboys was as stupid and inane as the writing. It took all of the worst shit associated with scifi (Space Wizards!) and mixed it with all of the worst shit from daytime soap operas (High School Social Melodrama!). Why do people liked it is as boggling as why someone would buy this terrible, terrible George McFly ReAction figure.
This is related to the faux-vintage wave that's cresting at the moment.

What's the appeal of the Gentle Giant Jumbo Kenner Star Wars figures? Who want's a foot tall Bespin Han Solo for more money than it would cost to buy the original figure it's based upon? I don't get it at all.

I was going to say the same thing about their $500 Faux-Jumbo Vintage Kenner Alien that's coming out this year, but then I looked at the price range for both average Jumbos and the 18" vintage Alien figure. Given TEH MARKETS, that seems like more reasonable economic forecasting even though I have personally never, ever wanted to spend $500 on a single toy.*

* Not that I can't afford it. It's that my tastes are just too fucking pedestrian to "get it". Death to vintage mass-market slop! All hail modern mass-market slop! As long as it ain't faux-vintage mass market slop!
Yeah the only ReAction figure I could see myself buying outside of the Alien ones that I have (and love) is Snake. Totally not seeing the appeal of fucking Marty McFly, let alone Marty McFly's dad. The Alien ones made a lot of sense. They were prototyped in the '70s and never produced. Now they are! That's great! And I also totally get the Glacialbots. It's a new toy in the style of 1980s Transformers. But Marty McFly? Doesn't seem like the sort of thing that has ever needed a toy line to me? I don't get it.

-Ginrai
The Rocketeer and Snake are the only ones I'm likely to pick up (and that is if I happen upon them at my local comic book shop or Barnes & Noble). Yeah, the Universal Monsters seem pointless and redundant and don't add anything new to the Universal Monsters action figures table. I fondly remember the Remco 3 3/4 ones but were pretty sure there was at least one other company that produced similar sized monster figs? I do remember Burger King had some kid meals versions 10 or 15 years ago that weren't half bad.

But Funko is really running with this... hope it doesn't blow up in their face (though I think it might...).

Re the Gentle Giant jumbo sized figs... maybe I'm just going by Roger's personal account but I heard these were pretty fragile and not really made to be released from their packaging and "played" with. So even if $500 for an jumbo sized Kenner Alien would seem par for market value of such things, I wouldn't trust the company's QC enough to invest in one. Especially with the one figure that was made to be taken out and played with like that Alien.
Sanjeev asked me to weigh in here, since I have first-hand experience with more than one thing you guys are talking about.

First up, retro styling. I think it's great, but I also agree with some of the points raised. I picked up the S7 Alien set because I love Alien, but I found myself enjoying them enough that I've now developed a fairly significant vintage Kenner Star Wars collection (I love Hoth stuff and droids), and some other Kenner-style figures both vintage and new. I never really got into the 70's Kenner figures before because I have no childhood attachment to them, but after handling a couple I really fell in love with them. They have the same appeal to me as Bullmark kaiju, and I think they hold a similar importance in the story of toy development. At this point, with all the stuff I've been making, a lot of my toy collecting has been driven by an interest in the manufacturing as much as my interest in the characters. On the Kenner Tauntaun, you can see big ol' razor knife marks on the legs where the mold seam from the hardcopy was removed before committing to steal. It's the same as being able to see tool marks on the Marusan Goji sculpt, and I think that stuff is fascinating. All this is a roundabout way of saying that I think there's a certain charm and workmanship in those old Kenner sculpts that is worth mimicking and applying to other properties to see what happens.

I do agree with some of the criticism of the properties chosen for this experiment, though. There's value in applying a previously un-tried aesthetic to other existing characters as an experiment, but for it to be a successful product you really need to focus on things that are both recognizable AND WILL MAKE INTERESTING TOYS! The reason vintage style modern vinyls work is because they're doing fun things like Boba Fett or colorful giant monsters. I mean, Jules and Verne from Pulp Fiction might just make the cut as sharp dudes with guns, but is anyone going to buy a Gimp toy? I'll buy a Jayne Cobb because he's a badass with big guns, but for all my love of Firefly I am probably never going to buy a toy of Wash with his toy dinosaur. I think Funko has gone waaaaay too deep on some of these lines too quickly, but maybe we'll be proven wrong. I have no attachment to The Goonies or Back to the Future, but I have seen a lot of collectors a few years older than me going nuts on Facebook over how excited they are for these. Nostalgia's a powerful thing, and for a certain generation those kinds of movies are always going to be big even if they don't hold up to younger fans watching them fresh today. Marty McFly is ALWAYS thrown around in Hot Toys wishlist threads that I've seen. Me, I like Alien and Terminator and low-fi 80's action sci-fi, so a goofy retro Snake Plisskin is alright in my book. I preordered the Predators as well, but I think they currently look too cartoony and don't quite match the style of the others. Hopefully they will tighten that up. I am all about the Endos and Arnold T-800s, though.

Now for the Gentle Giant jumbo retro figures. I got to mess with one a while back and found myself much more impressed by it than I expected, and now I have all the bounty hunters. I am not going to collect the whole line or anything, but I figure I'll pick up all the droids as well, since I always loved the mecha design of SW. They are a fascinating experiment that, for me, ties back to my first point. Some of these Kenner sculpts are really marvelous with their low-fi handcrafted charm. The larger size allows for a much more thorough appreciation of those designs that I really enjoy. I remember reading Roger's warning as well, but that has not held true for any of the more recent releases I've purchased. All the figures I've got are really thick, slightly soft vinyl that gives the figures a lot of weight and feels pretty good in hand. The droids are all hard molded ABS and are flawless. I realize most people probably never open them, since older fans that remember seeing the toys on the shelves have just as much attachment to that packaging as I have interest in the actual figures, but they have held up fine to my regular handling.

I also spent a good deal of time thinking about it, and have preordered the jumbo Alien. I'm a big enough Alien fan that I always intended to get the Kenner toy eventually, figuring I'd settle for a loose, possibly broken one as a fixer-upper. Those seem to have gotten much harder to find lately, and even a cursory glance at ebay prices for boxed samples reveals that the GG figure is really not priced too badly. It might be too much money for what you're actually getting, but compared to the alternatives it's doable. That box is as iconic as the toy itself, so I'm actually pretty excited to be getting one in the box, which I never expected to happen.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
I would love to get one of the original Kenner Alien toys and this upscaled reissue also seems rad, but the price is just way too much.

-Ginrai
Prometheum5
I mean, Jules and Verne from Pulp Fiction might just make the cut as sharp dudes with guns, but is anyone going to buy a Gimp toy? I

Gcrush is ordering a case of them as we speak....
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'll probably get a Bride of Franky, now that I think of it. I've got all 6 of the Remco Uni monsters...but they never made Frank's squeeze.

Anyway, I'm still on the fence about the jumbo xenomorph. Given Funko's Game of Thrones shitshow*, I'm sure as fuck NOT about to throw down that kind of cash without a bunch of post-release reviews. If it proves to be solid, I'll gladly eat the not-preorder retail cost. I call that "insurance".

There were a variety of problems with the original Kenner Alien design, so when I heard they're LITERALLY scanning each piece and scaling them up, I was a little disappointed. I was hoping they'd fix a bunch of issues by redesigning internal stuff that wouldn't mess with the aesthetics. I guess we'll see the net result when we see it...

*YES, it's worse than anything NECA has perpetrated simply based on the sheer scale of it. One of my buddies reported getting a Tyrion with two right feet installed...clear as day...right in the fucking package.
Jeev... what Funko GoT debacle? Were these relating to those POP vinyls, bobble head thingys or to their upcoming line of action figures proper?
Sanjeev (Admin)
It's for their upcoming "Legacy" action figures....which were leaked to the public before Funko could their heads out of their own asses. Way to manage your distribution, guys. Anyway, if you do a quick search for funko game of thrones qc issues, about eleventy-billion things come up. Here's a decent summary that popped up close to the top of the list:
[www.poeghostal.com]
Wow.... thanks for the heads up. This could have easily been an impulse purchase for me if I was milling around a B & N bookstore (oh look! a Khaleesi action figure! Buy buy buy!). It definitely gives me pause and a "wait and see" approach to the ReAction line...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Incidentally, NECA is now competing with MonsterArts for your hyper-articulated kaiju dollar:
[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

Hey, if their QC is straight, these could be dope. And clearly a better value than MonsterArts figures. I just hope they're the same scale and don't overlap characters too much...
NECA stuff is generally larger than other manufacturers... for example their human figures are 7" instead of 6". Based on their Pacific Rim kaiju, I expect their Godzilla figures to be similarly awkwardly scaled and equally atrocious toys. Or, if they're more like their Alien, they will self-destruct out of the package.

[prometheusrising.net]
I don't have any of their Alien figures, but I love my NECA Ninja Turtles stuff...

-Ginrai
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I thought their (NECA's) Predator figures were perfect, Ben. I don't understand how/why they would be using different factories with radically different QC standards...
Sanjeev
Yeah, I thought their (NECA's) Predator figures were perfect, Ben. I don't understand how/why they would be using different factories with radically different QC standards...

NECA's entire MO is to learn nothing from previous efforts. Their entire goal seems to be to come up with new ways to fuck up making toys with every new release. TMNT was a long time ago, and there are plenty of broken Predators. The Aliens Xenomorph figures are a goddamn atrocity. I've got eight broken ones... four that broke out of the package, and four more that broke when NECA sent me replacements. Check out some reviews for their Pacific Rim toys... mediocre engineering, inconsistent fit and finish, and even more occasional breakage. The Jaegers are lousy, but the kaiju are downright terrible.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I guess action figures really DO suck.

:/
Sanjeev
I guess action figures really DO suck.

:/

No, action figures are fucking righteous. Acid Rain, Star Wars Black, Marvel Legends, Revoltech Sci-Fi, Robot Damashii, Action Portable, whatever the new Microman stuff is... There's so much good action figure stuff out right now. NECA just doesn't have a clue what parts of their figures are good or bad. It honestly makes no sense to me. It's like NECA forgets everything they learned immediately upon shipping a figure and then starts from scratch again. The Dutch from Predator that they shipped last year is straight up one of the most impressive mass-market action figures ever made, rock solid, extremely well articulated, and beautifully details, AND a better likeness than most 1/6 scale Arnolds. Then they shipped the Pacific Rim toys with shit articulation and broken parts. Their Colonial Marines are gorgeous, but the Xenomorphs are a disaster. The 1/4 scale Predators are incredible, built like tanks and beautiful. Their 1/4 scale Iron Man shipped with giant paint splotches and can't even stand up. Then they recently announced a new Freddy figure or something with no articulation below the waist. For the life of me I cannot figure out NECA. They've got one guy that seems to do most everything, but it's like there's three or four teams there that do WILDLY different work and then have them made in three different factories.

[prometheusrising.net]
Check out JoshB's ToyFair report on NECA ... apparently NECA wasn't happy with the first 2 series of Pacific Rim figures either (they're blaming WALMART) but contends that Series 3 (with Cherno Alpha and Coyote Tango) will be up to snuff..... we'll see.

Oh, per JoshB, the 18 inch Knifehead promises to be great and the next 18 incher will be CHERNO.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh....well, I guess it's NECA...and potentially Funko...that suck!

I wonder if it's a question of changing factories. As prices skyrocket in China, many OEMs are moving their operations to Vietnam or elsewhere in southeast Asia...and that obviously affects QC as you go from an experienced factory to one where folks really don't know what they're doing yet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer