3D printed figure with "action figure" like articulation

Posted by hauke 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Interesting...

Well, I'm still a NURBS guy, so it doesn't make a huge difference to me! Still neat to hear how the CAD world is evolving...
Here is something a little differently. Me as an action figure. I did this figure as an exercise. I wanted to make a figure that has a less bulky physique compared to the muscle bound 80s style figures I usually do. I also wanted to make a figure that uses ball joints. Personally I am not a big fan of those but I had many commissions where clients wanted to have them in their figures. So this guy serves as a proof of concept that ball joints can be done. I still think they are a little bit less predictable and sturdy then other joints though. On the other hand they do allow for a great range of motion. This is certainly my most flexible figure yet. I also had a lot of requests for heads based on a real person's face. So I gave this figure my own face to show what can be done. The figure has over 35 points of articulation and is about 18 cm (7 inch) high. The figure was painted by me. I have to admit he is a lot slimmer and flexible then I am. :-)

----------------------------------------------------
Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
Check out: [mechawhales.com]

Collectible figures available from: [www.deepfriedfigures.com]

My 3D printed action figures: [www.hauke-scheer.de]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Very cool! Just as an experiment, have you thought of trying to shrink down a figure to 3-3/4" scale? That would pose some interesting engineering challenges, I'm sure.
Sanjeev
Very cool! Just as an experiment, have you thought of trying to shrink down a figure to 3-3/4" scale? That would pose some interesting engineering challenges, I'm sure.

Thanks! Unfortunately my printer's resolution is not good enough for a 3-3/4" figure with that amount of joints. They would end up too tiny and brittle. Maybe I could go down as far as 5 inch but even that would probably result in a figure that is quite brittle.

These are my latest 3D printed custom figures. Their joints are a little bit different then my previous figures. I rely more on ball joints now that can simply be plugged into the sockets for the figure. The result is a much sturdier figure. I did not go super crazy with the articulation on these two but they can be posed quite well. On the other hand these guys are much more solid and feel a lot more like proper toys then all my previous figures.
The story concept is that mankind has given up the polluted Earth to go for the stars but has left most of its mechanical servants behind. Eventually those AIs started to create their own societies. The more humanoid looking androids made for direct human interaction thought of themselves to be superior to the simple robots that were made for crude manual labor. So they enslaved them to do their bidding. Eventually some robots rebelled and build a refuge out in the wastelands. Now these robots fight to free their brethren that are still enslaved.

I made a new version of my caveman action figure. This is the first figure that has ball joints only. I am quite happy. The figure is the easiest to assemble and very sturdy. It is also easy to swap parts. I used this figure for a stop motion animation. The parts shown here were used to create different gestures and emotions.

Here is the stop motion animation to test the sturdiness and articulation of my 3D printed action figures. The animation is rough and just a series of action sequences but I think it gets the point across.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

This is my second stop motion animation using my 3D printed action figures. Ever since I started using acetone to smooth my figures I wanted to make a new one to show the nicer looking figures. I also bought new camera equipment that is less shaky allowing me to keep post processing of the pictures taken to a minimum. I did use Blu Tack on the feet to stabilize the figures and armatures for the flights, jumps and falls but other then that all you see here can actually be performed just with the joints of the figures.
Modeling Software: MODO
3D Printer: Stratasys Mojo
Figures were assembled and painted by hand.

Here is a picture of the actual figures with their joints. The ball joints can just pop in and out of their sockets allowing for different head expressions and hand gestures in the animation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer