Pacific Rim toys

Posted by H-man 
So it looks like NECA will be doing the "Pacific Rim" toys. There will be a 7 inch line of the Jaegers AND Kaiju (1st series will include Gypsy Danger (the USA Jaeger), Crimson Typhoon (China's Jaeger) and Knifehead Kaiju. There will also be an 18 inch, super articulated, electronic Gypsy Danger too. You can already pre-order the first series 7 inch line in some web places and can find pics of all the toys (except the Knifehead kaiju) all over the .NET.

Now, I don't own any NECA stuff and I always associated their products to be "McFarlanish"... nicely detailed, PVC figs with limited articulation but I forgot they have done some really compelling stuff in the past, like the MATRIX stuff, the big ass BALROG, and the jumbo sized Predators. But it looks like these Pacific Rim figs might turn out to be pretty cool. But I wonder if it's better to hold out for the inevitable Diecast toys from one of them Hong Kong companies?
Sanjeev (Admin)
While my interest in seeing this movie has grown (especially with the latest trailer/leaked footage/whatever), I still have little interest in toys of these designs. What I'd suggest is what we've been talking about on the TF board: buy whatever you can afford now...but leave everything unopened. Wait for reviews to come out, along with any announcements of off-brand toys...and ultimately open only the best stuff you intend to keep...and reBay the rest.

Sounds simple...a no-brainer, right? Well, yeah, but that buying practice is crucial for TF's, given all the crazy 3rd party offerings being announced all the time. Same thing could apply here...
Sanjeev
While my interest in seeing this movie has grown (especially with the latest trailer/leaked footage/whatever), I still have little interest in toys of these designs. What I'd suggest is what we've been talking about on the TF board: buy whatever you can afford now...but leave everything unopened. Wait for reviews to come out, along with any announcements of off-brand toys...and ultimately open only the best stuff you intend to keep...and reBay the rest.

Sounds simple...a no-brainer, right? Well, yeah, but that buying practice is crucial for TF's, given all the crazy 3rd party offerings being announced all the time. Same thing could apply here...

Huh, I don't remember reading that conversation, but interesting you should mention it. I was telling Mr. Crush recently about selling off some Masterpiece TFs (finally decided they weren't actual "toys" that were "fun" anymore). The aftermarket prices are insane on these.

Anyway, I showed my bro and his boys that Pacific Rum trailer (thanks for the link, Harvey). My brother loved the scene with the battleship-as-baseball-bat scene, and the older boy seemed really into it, too. My bro called that move the Jaeger Bomb. So I'm probably going to pick up that 18" Gypped-me Dangit for the nephews after we all see the movie.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 06:47PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio
Huh, I don't remember reading that conversation...

Oh? It was one of the 3rd party conversations...Marvin was involved, if I recall correctly. It was around the time when the "Year of the Snake" Omega Supreme and the not-WFC Omega Supreme were announced...and he wasn't sure which one to get. Or it coulda been when Unique Toys and Mastermind not-Predakings were announced.

But either way, in such a saturated and volatile "adult collectibles" market, you get how this hurry up and wait mentality is probably the best way to avoid getting shafted...
H-man
Now, I don't own any NECA stuff and I always associated their products to be "McFarlanish"... nicely detailed, PVC figs with limited articulation but I forgot they have done some really compelling stuff in the past, like the MATRIX stuff, the big ass BALROG, and the jumbo sized Predators. But it looks like these Pacific Rim figs might turn out to be pretty cool. But I wonder if it's better to hold out for the inevitable Diecast toys from one of them Hong Kong companies?

NECA does good shit on most of their lines. Their earlier products were more statue-esque than figure-esque, but that's changed over the last few years. Their Predator 2 figures, at all scales, are all totally badass.

As for Pacific Rimmers... I could care less. It looks like Del Toro's typically over-wraught fan-boy wankage. He's so much better when dealing with more original and intimate stories.
The newest Pacific Reems trailer (I think it screens before the newest Star Trak).

[www.youtube.com]
G, you are King of the Punchbowl Turds. ;)

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
The only NECA toys I have are the Ninja Turtles, April, and the Mousers, and they are GREAT and I love them.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Aww...I look at G as the "King of Lowered Expectations"!

I try to stay balanced: I have no doubt Specific Anus will be terrible on pretty much every narrative level...but at the same time, I'm looking forward to a great movie-going experience with the right crew and under the right circumstances (or should I say "substances"?).
MSW
But wait! It gets better!

The Asylum's "mockbuster" version of PACIFIC RIM, titled ATLANTIC RIM just had it first trailer released:
[www.youtube.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeaaaah...

My coworker sent me that link the other day...and I just don't get it. It's a...parody...that is devoid of humor? Why???

I love the Scary Movie series (at least the first few). Spaceballs? One of the greatest ever. Hell, give me UHF, goddammit. But why bother making a "mockbuster" when it doesn't actually mock anything? Or am I just totally missing some obvious joke??
MSW
I think your over thinking this...

"Mockbuster" basically means a "fake blockbuster". It's the same way "mockumentary" all boils down to being basically a "fake documentary".

The Asylum is a small little film production studio in LA that is infamous for producing "Mockbusters".

Basically when a big studio wants to put out a blockbuster they have their marketing departments go into full on hype mode months and months before the film is to be released. The Asylum films just piggy back on all that hype with their films...And their film are produced very quickly (less than five months from first production meeting to sending it off complete with all special effects, sounds and music to the DVD/Blu-Ray factory for reproduction) cheaply (way less then a $1 million dollars) and timed to be released onto video rental stores selves and on-demand (Netflicks, Redbox, etc) services the same day the big studio releases their blockbuster in theaters. All this to take advantage of consumer ignorance and confusion... Basically, in the toy world, we would call them Knockoffs.
Sanjeev (Admin)
MSW
...Basically, in the toy world, we would call them Knockoffs.

^^Okay, that's pretty fucking awesome!

When I think "mockumentary", I think King of Kong and the like. Y'know...stuff that's humorous, satirical, or just generally tongue-in-cheek. Atlantic Rim didn't seem like that at all...but given your explanation, it makes perfect sense. And in fact, the whole "bootleg" thing meant to bamboozle ignorant movie-goers, in and of itself, is kinda hilarious!
hillsy
G, you are King of the Punchbowl Turds. ;)

One Turd to rule them all,
One Turd to find them,
One Turd to bring them all,
And in the punchbowl bind them.

Sanjeev
Aww...I look at G as the "King of Lowered Expectations"!

The sinking terror felt by two ants at the bottom of a wagon rut fearfully mistaking the asshole of a skunk walking over them for the sky falling would still be about twice as high as my expectations are low for this movie to be anything other than a tuberculotic dog fart.

Having said that, some of the posters for the film are pretty fucking sweet. This one is especially good - it takes all the lurid detail of vintage robot model kit box art and combines it with the confusing racism of a 5th graders' idea of what makes something badass.* The others are all equally glorious. This could be really high praise if the film would just be honest and go full throttle on the campiness. But it won't. Because the director doesn't realize that he's being campy. And that's what will make it suck instead.

* If Rocky IV taught us anything, it's that literally everything from Russia has to follow corny, Cold War Era stereotypes - even if they're based on a very real and horrific nuclear accident. And that all it takes to get Americans to do the right thing is for someone to kill their one black friend. This does not bode well for Idris Elba in the fight against "aliens from the ocean".
I completely agree with G here on every point about this film, and have made similar points on my facebook comments about this film, though I have a rep lately for not liking almost anything from Hollywood of this nature. I have coincidentally thinking lately that the only thing that would save it for me would be if it was all-out camp.

Which I don't expect either, but now that G said it, as I was looking back at the screenshots, I noticed that every single shot and poster is 400% better (and often even quite hilarious) when visualizing through the lens of being a camp super-B movie, from the goofy mech names to the stupid control scheme and the various Kaiju shots and the very obviously faked-without-reference-material "Japan" location shots. If they make this thing a fun, goofy parody, then by gum, I'm completely sold after all and will have to find a hat to eat.

But yeah, I expect I'll have to deal with a flood of winged simians bursting out of my posterior before that happens.
Sanjeev
When I think "mockumentary", I think King of Kong and the like. Y'know...stuff that's humorous, satirical, or just generally tongue-in-cheek. Atlantic Rim didn't seem like that at all...but given your explanation, it makes perfect sense. And in fact, the whole "bootleg" thing meant to bamboozle ignorant movie-goers, in and of itself, is kinda hilarious!

Yeah, the archetypal mockumentary would be This is Spinal Tap. King of Kong, while being about a rather absurd subject (and filled with factual errors and omissions) is still "real," or intended to be real.

Those posters do look awesome. I didn't realize that the Russkie robot was based on/named after a self-inflicted disaster. Ugh.

We're not really going to be able to discuss this more until the movie comes out, but regarding Mr. Crush's point, wasn't the Avengers pretty campy and, at the same time, self-serious for the most part? And everyone loved that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 06:24PM by gingaio.
You guys are miserable fucking bastards.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
gingaio
Those posters do look awesome. I didn't realize that the Russkie robot was based on/named after a self-inflicted disaster. Ugh.

That's what I'm talking about. Everything in that picture suggests a serious play into mainstream ideas about gender, violence, technology, and glorious excess without any layer of camp theatricality.

So far I haven't seen any knowing winks from the film to suggest that it's outlandish "cool" factor is intended to be anything other than "cool". And isn't that the hallmark of camp / satire / irony / etc? That to be effective it must reveal this to the audience in some way? Even if that means relying on a shared, implicit understanding that "there is no way this shit could be taken seriously"? Like, having the audience play "the straight character"?

[Question specifically to Gingy: Are you thinking that Pacific Rimmers is what Sontag might call pure camp? Is it naïve enough for that?]

Anyway, if they're going to go with the "Country = Something Awful" meme with "Russia = Cherno Alpha", they should name all the rowbutts something like...

America = Three-Mile Columbine
Japan = Fukushima Kamikaze
China = Melamine Knockoff
Australia = Stolen Generation

And so on.

gingaio
We're not really going to be able to discuss this more until the movie comes out, but regarding Mr. Crush's point, wasn't the Avengers pretty campy and, at the same time, self-serious for the most part? And everyone loved that.

Was it? I thought it pushed the fourth wall pretty far with all of its self-awareness, but it also seemed to play very straight into mainstream-pop teenage boy fantasies. I saw all of the over-exaggeration as typical pyrotechnic movie effects and the character's frivolity-in-the-face-of-mortal-terror as machismo. Can you give some examples of what struck you as campy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 08:30PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - russia.jpg (151.7 KB)
open | download - 96708_gal.jpg (121 KB)
Gcrush

gingaio

Was it? I thought it pushed the fourth wall pretty far with all of its self-awareness, but it also seemed to play very straight into mainstream-pop teenage boy fantasies. I saw all of the over-exaggeration as typical pyrotechnic movie effects and the character's frivolity-in-the-face-of-mortal-terror as machismo. Can you give some examples of what struck you as campy?

Avengers was smarter than camp. It managed to be witty with a little bit of tongue-in-cheek while still maintaining actual drama, character development, and audience investment. It was earnest and straightforward, not dumb by any means. Camp would have been spandex suits and jokes about spandex riding up. Instead, we got a passing 'believable' depiction of characters we've known forever refined down to a distilled showing of their most recognizable and enjoyable aspects buoyed by some incredible on-screen chemistry. You guys are so cynical and jaded for the sake of being cynical and jaded.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Prometheum5
You guys are so cynical and jaded for the sake of being cynical and jaded.

While I agree with your take on Avengers, the above statement--coming from you, of all people--is about as disingenuous as they come. I realize that you love Iron Man and other classic Marvel characters...and that's great. I do too. But c'mon, dude: you're *literally* the biggest hater I know! When it comes to (designer) toys, music, and other shit, you rock the coal-encrusted crown of the King of Cynicism!

And the way you state your coldly-hateful opinions as absolute fact is part of what makes you so damn lovable!

Now, I too feel that Avengers had a healthy dose of self awareness. Just enough, in fact: the average movie-goer not looking to apply more than a couple neurons in processing the movie got enough Michael Bay-esque explosions to keep the endorphines coursing through his/her system. Those fanboys and critical thinkers looking for more, I think, got more. I did.

But bringing us back around to Pacifying Rimjob, if I controlled the world, I'd love to see something more akin to Imagawa's Giant Robo anime. Far more so than Avengers, the GR OVA was full of clever character interaction and self-aware humor...while *also* incorporating great story-telling tropes. The story WAS serious. The drama was crafted in such a way that the audience really and truly cared what happened to those characters. That's what makes it a modern classic. Now, if they could achieve something like that with this movie, I'd be impressed. But I'm not holding my fucking breath.

To Ben's point, part of me keeps asking "shouldn't you just be happy that you're getting a live-action kaiju/mecha movie with incredible special effects???" On paper, it sure seems like it's better than nothing. Or is it? The very first Soul of Chogokin toy, the GX-01 Mazinger Z seemed like a dream come true. You won't find one in my collection. See, sometimes, having is not so pleasurable a thing as wanting. In fact, when it comes to fanboy-pandering movies, comics, and other media, I'd say that was the case 95% of the time.
For what it's worth...I've read somewhere that Del Toro confirmed that one (or more) of the robots will have ROCKET PUNCH.

For what it's worth....
Prometheum5
Avengers was smarter than camp. It managed to be witty with a little bit of tongue-in-cheek while still maintaining actual drama, character development, and audience investment. It was earnest and straightforward, not dumb by any means. Camp would have been spandex suits and jokes about spandex riding up."

Yeah, instead, we got latex suits and jokes about capes that look like mommy's drapes.

Prometheum5
Instead, we got a passing 'believable' depiction of characters we've known forever refined down to a distilled showing of their most recognizable and enjoyable aspects buoyed by some incredible on-screen chemistry. You guys are so cynical and jaded for the sake of being cynical and jaded.

It's because I'm not thinking of "camp" in purely negative terms that I'm not in the least bit cynical about this. That, and most of us liked the Avengers and are actually looking forward to Pacific Rum.

Mr. Crush brought up Sontag, and in her "Notes on 'Camp'," her version of an anti-essay, she mentions this--To start very generally: Camp is a certain mode of aestheticism. It is one way of seeing the world as an aesthetic phenomenon. That way, the way of Camp, is not in terms of beauty, but in terms of the degree of artifice, of stylization.

Reading and rereading her piece, it's clear she's somewhat making shit up as she goes along, but she has a healthy regard for what she considers camp: It is the love of the exaggerated, the "off," of things-being-what-they-are-not.

More specifically, she adores naive, or completely full-on earnest camp. To Mr. Crush: Pacific Rum seems earnest/naive enough from the trailer.

Now back to what Ben said, what he's describing (believable drama, character development, wit) are all hallmarks of good stories, period. That they're apparent in Avengers doesn't make the movie less campy. I mean, what's the plot summary for Avengers? Green Horned Guy with brainwashing stick steals magical Rubik's Cube from Col. Stone Cold Motherfucker, who gathers Giant Hammer Guy, Armored Asshole, Raging Green Man, American Flag Dude, Wannabe Legolas, and Hot Chick to fight off an invasion force, which Green Horned Guy apparently rented from Sea World, comprised of Space Whales and Flying Jet Skis.

This, in essence, is the entire "story," which has nothing to say about the human condition, no important message to relay about life and living, no soul-affecting pathos or tragedy. But it does have multiple Looney Tunes moments involving Raging Green Man, accompanied by a bunch of one-liners courtesy of Whedon.

To answer Mr. Crush's question, it's as much about what the movie lacks as it is what it has that makes Avengers campy. Despite the occasional meta- moments in the story, the story doesn't provoke the audience to consistently interrogate and reexamine the genre in the way that a movie like Cabin in the Woods does. The smartness of that movie is such that it manages to be as entertaining as Avengers, but doesn't surrender itself entirely to genre expectations in the way Avengers does, which is smart in the qualified "for-a-superhero-flick" sense.

Avengers is a spectacle that is built for the purpose of visual spectacle and entertainment (often comedic), and it's a fun visual spectacle, but one that isn't, at least in Sontag's terms, much more than "camp." But again, to her (and me), that's not a bad thing. She says:

The reason a movie like On the Beach, books like Winesburg, Ohio and For Whom the Bell Tolls are bad to the point of being laughable, but not bad to the point of being enjoyable, is that they are too dogged and pretentious. They lack fantasy. There is Camp in such bad movies as The Prodigal and Samson and Delilah, the series of Italian color spectacles featuring the super-hero Maciste, numerous Japanese science fiction films (Rodan, The Mysterians, The H-Man) because, in their relative unpretentiousness and vulgarity, they are more extreme and irresponsible in their fantasy - and therefore touching and quite enjoyable.

Of course, we'd all take exception to the word "bad," but that's because we all pretty much agree that the Avengers is good. But is it not, in the end, campy? Does the occasional witty reminder (that Whedon is aware of the conventions of the superhero genre) negate the fact that this is ultimately a movie about space fucking whales and men with magical tools? The verbal and dramatic ironies, even when present, do not derail the seriousness with which the filmmaker approaches the plot and subject matter. There is no way to read Space Fucking Whales Attacking Earth as a metaphor for something else, for something that is not Space Fucking Whales Attacking Earth.

On the other hand, Cabin in the Woods not only pokes fun at horror conventions, but examines both the sexist impulses behind such conventions and also the mindless contrivances needed to produce and reproduce them, time and time again, until the only seemingly reasonable option left is to destroy the world that created them.

What I think people are debating is not whether things like the Avengers and Pacifiic Rum are camp, but whether they're artful or artless camp. For all of Tarantino's sins, he's at least upfront, in what he says through and outside of his films, about the pulp nature of his stories, which doesn't make them any less enjoyable (assuming you enjoy them).

'Jeev brings up the Giant Robo OAVs to make a really good point. This OVA exists for the sole purpose of giant robot action, though the director/writer also managed to squeeze in heroic self-sacrifice, solid plotting/scripting, and cool mecha shit. It's really skillfully done shit, but I wouldn't say it's not a cool mecha story.

Maybe camp isn't the best word moving forward. Sontag doesn't help by muddying her own definitions when she writes, There is seriousness in Camp (seriousness in the degree of the artist's involvement) and, often, pathos...The whole point of Camp is to dethrone the serious. Camp is playful, anti-serious.

Say what?

Maybe "genre story" is a better term. What I liked about Giant Robo was precisely that it was a genre story (super-robot anime genre) that dared to take itself seriously, and succeeded in the artful effects it was going for, as far as characterization and pathos.

(And Reverend, as far as the be-careful-what-you-wish-for point, I totally got that with the GI Joe movies. Being a Joe toy collector, I always thought that a live-action could be witty and good, if done well, insteady of being the colossal failures that these wastes of celluloid turned out to be.)

There's a scale of artfulness. I don't know if Guillermo will reach the heights of that anime (a two-hour movie doesn't have the luxury of an OVA to develop characters), but I'm hoping it's at least a decent genre movie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 06:03AM by gingaio.
[news.toyark.com]

Toys are looking good. I think the nephews will like 'em. The only NECA experience I've had is with the Robocop figure, and it was one of the better action figs I've handled--good joints, good paint, nicely built.
Sanjeev
Prometheum5
You guys are so cynical and jaded for the sake of being cynical and jaded.

While I agree with your take on Avengers, the above statement--coming from you, of all people--is about as disingenuous as they come. I realize that you love Iron Man and other classic Marvel characters...and that's great. I do too. But c'mon, dude: you're *literally* the biggest hater I know! When it comes to (designer) toys, music, and other shit, you rock the coal-encrusted crown of the King of Cynicism!

And the way you state your coldly-hateful opinions as absolute fact is part of what makes you so damn lovable!

My problem is the idea of cutting the new thing to ribbons before it is even out based on a drip feed of information, rather than waiting until it's out and I've experienced it to condemn it based on evidence and cold hard facts. I can't get cynical until I've got all the data, which is something I have not found true for most of the internet regarding most things these days, and it bums me the fuck out.

gingaio- I think we're spinning around the same conclusion using a different set of terminology.

I'm pumped for Pacific Rim. I like the look of the bots and the kaiju, I like the (tried and true) premise, and I'm curious to see what hallmarks of the typically Eastern genre Del Toro picks and chooses to infuse with a more Western sensibility. The best thing that could happen with PR would be for it to ape Evangelion even further and make the robot/kaiju fighting just a backdrop for some in depth character analysis teased out by extenuating circumstances, but that's probably aiming a little high. It's like with zombie movies, where you have to decide if you are going to focus on the fact that there are zombies and oh god they're eating my leg, or focus on the people subjected to zombies and of shit how do we cope?

Either way, I am excited until proven otherwise.

[prometheusrising.net]
I probably wouldn't chime in except that I take no small exception at being called cynical, miserable and jaded. Highly skeptical? Yes, but that's not the same thing at all. Jaded, well maybe...but only if we are talking about a type of cinema that is increasingly irrelevant to my own viewing interests.

First I gotta say, the other comments really nailed a lot of my own attitude. Major props to Sanjeev for using the wonderful, and if anything underated, Giant Robo as a measuring stick, because that is exactly what I'm talking about. When I went to see Avengers, and mind you, I've not watched the other Marvel films tied to it, I went in hoping for (if not expecting) something that could entertain me on a similar level approaching Giant Robo, or most recently the truly excellent Fate/Zero series. Given the calibur of the screenwriter's prior work and the massive amount of previously written "mythology" to build upon, I think this wasn't a particularly unfair or unreasonable expectation with the massive budget and hype engine that was surrounding the flick.

Mind you, I'm not a really big western superhero fan to begin with. I've given most of the Marvel films a miss other than a couple of the X-men films (which I enjoyed) and Spiderman 1 (which I mostly did not). I did like the Nolan Batman trilogy and had mixed but mostly postive feelings about Watchmen (they should have kept the space-squid, dammit!), as an old fan of the graphic novel. I've not mustered enough enthusiasm to see any of the Iron Man films, let alone Thor or Hulk or Captain America. I might one day, maybe. It's just not my thing is all. I've mostly been an anime nerd since childhood, other than the Micronauts comics and some more indie comics later on in life, mostly overshadowed by manga.

I thought the movie was...okay (not bad, at least). I was mostly annoyed at how ridiculously ineffectual the alien invasion was (worst one since Signs, perhaps?) and the lack of any real serious danger any of the populace seemed to be in the entire time. The banter and posturing in the film just felt like it was smarmy and making up for anything significant really actually happening half the time in the story (and don't get me wrong, I know where Whedon is coming from...I loved Firefly!). But it entertained me a bit, I'll give it that much. But it was kind of disappointing still all the same. It didn't really make me want to rush out and catch up on the other Marvel flicks (which I kind of had hoped it would).

I should also clarify that I too see good use of camp as a very *good* thing. It's what makes stuff like Army of Darkness and Flash Gordon worth revisiting! And I *have* seen some good "told straight" satire before, albeit rare in Western cinema, so I could kind of see PR pulling it off, but not very likely. Like I said, I'd likely pay to see PR multiple times if it was actually a goofy, well-meaning romp. Those screenshots and movie posters are pure comedy gold, if that was their intent.

But a "serious" mecha/kaiju film with THOSE ridiculously bad designs (which I can almost deal with if I think of it as being like Big O, perhaps) and THAT fucking retarded dual-synchronized control scheme (which on the other hand particularly pisses me off more every time I see it)? Really? I'd rather watch Robot Jox again first.

I'll certainly reserve full judgment until the film is out, but I think it's better to have lowered expectations and be pleasantly surprised and proven wrong (please please please prove me wrong...that's my whole point here, I WANT Hollywood to rise to the occassion for once!) than it is to go in optimistic and then find you've wasted your time and money.

But living a miserable, cynical and jaded life? Only when it comes to sitting through tedious Hollywood crap.

I am having a genuinely non-jaded, non-cynical, wholly unmiserable blast following 15 different anime series currently airing in Japan each week this season (admittedly two or three are wavering) along with going back and catching up on stuff I missed originally like Xabungle, Turn-A Gundam, Southern Cross, and the like. And somehow I think 2-3 hours of doing that on any given day will make me far happier than watching Hollywood try to half-assedly play catch up with what anime and manga had really begun mastering a couple or so decades ago. If that's being jaded, I can live with that.

Oh and hey, Game of Thrones is pretty awesome too.
I just like to say this tread is AWESOME.... not just because we're coming up with new puns for "Pacific Rim" or talking about the meaning of "camp" or whether the movie/toys will be good or not or the fact that I started this thread... but that Ginny brought up "Cabin in the Woods"... perhaps still my fave movie from last year and in many years....
Hey....I enjoyed On the Beach.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
gingaio
More specifically, she adores naive, or completely full-on earnest camp. To Mr. Crush: Pacific Rum seems earnest/naive enough from the trailer.

Yeah, I can see that. But I'm not on board with her love of "EPIC FAIL" camp. I agree that something shit can be so bad that it's good, but most of the time it's just so bad that it's bad. I much prefer Burton's Mars Attacks to Wood's Plan 9. The latter is just too painful to watch. (I'm not into the schadenfreude.)

And it ain't because deliberate camp is easier to get right. It's not. Look at Snakes on a Plane. They tried so hard to camp it up and instead they kicked the LULZ right out of themselves. Which begs another question - what do we call the paradoxical meta-naïveté of shit like SNOP? Recamp?

Randomly:

Pacific ROM will suck. I'm not saying you won't like it, but that it will be an indefensably bad example of pop-cinema. I'm so confident about this that I'm willing to literally put bread where your mouth is. If it doesn't suck, I'll make each of you a sandwich.

The Avengers was big, dumb, douche-bro fun. But it was not a "good" story. And that's okay. Not everything we like needs to be good.

I need to see On the Beach.

I also need to see Giant Robo.

Anyway, I guess that I'm just so cynical and jaded that it's not even worth it to get sick and tired of anything anymore.
Gcrush
Yeah, I can see that. But I'm not on board with her love of "EPIC FAIL" camp. I agree that something shit can be so bad that it's good, but most of the time it's just so bad that it's bad. I much prefer Burton's Mars Attacks to Wood's Plan 9. The latter is just too painful to watch. (I'm not into the schadenfreude.)

I totally agree. Even though she talks about not being patronizing toward camp, she is in the way she defines and "appreciates" it. I wonder if she would love Patchouli TIm as much she did Rodan.

Though I have to say I loved her take-down of the hilariously bad For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Gcrush
And it ain't because deliberate camp is easier to get right. It's not. Look at Snakes on a Plane. They tried so hard to camp it up and instead they kicked the LULZ right out of themselves. Which begs another question - what do we call the paradoxical meta-naïveté of shit like SNOP? Recamp?

I would throw all of Tarantino's shit into this category. As much as I dislike some of his stuff, it's possible to make the argument that there's some degree of cultural relevance, however scant, in his flicks. The racial role reversal in Django and female empowerment in Kill Bill are examples. Snakes on a Plane reminds me of Mansquito, which I happened upon one depressing Saturday night. It's completely soulless and has no relevance to anything that might mean anything to anyone.

Gcrush
I also need to see Giant Robo.

Totally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2013 01:52AM by gingaio.
Woah woah woah. Are you guys going to base Snakes on a Plane now? Because I will not abide that.

[prometheusrising.net]
gingaio
Though I have to say I loved her take-down of the hilariously bad For Whom the Bell Tolls.

“I obscenity in the milk of my shame,” Pilar said in her deep lovely voice

Prometheum5
I will not abide that.

The Dude does not abide.
I looked up the Giant Roblow animation and I assumed you guys were talking about the most recent GR: Giant Robo that has the Big-O desiggn aesthetic behind it. I caught two random episodes of that, but couldn't find any more.

So, was that what you doods were referencing, or was it one of the other iterations?
No, that one was pretty awful.

We're talking about the 90s anime OVA series titled "Giant Robo - The Animation: The Day The Earth Stood Still", which was in six parts, released in the US on 3 discs.
Yeah, it's the 90s version, not the more recent one.

Here's the first ep. I prefer watching it with subs, as the dub sucks.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2013 01:56PM by gingaio.
Nice super detailed video reviews of the first 3 Pacific Rim toys(released in Asia already and making their ways here slowly but surely).... all look nicely detailed with great articulation... I'm especially empressed by the China bot and the Kaiju Knifehead has a bit of the Ultra-Kaiju/Gamera Guiron vibe to it...

Knifehead:

[www.youtube.com]

Crimson Typhoon:

[www.youtube.com]

Gipsy Danger:

[www.youtube.com]
Interesting featurettes/clips:

On the kaiju
[www.youtube.com]

"Elbow rocket"
[www.youtube.com]

Jaegers
[www.youtube.com]

Of note:
Del Toro wanted the kaiju designers to consider how a man would fit inside the monster (suit). The pilot actually calls out "elbow rocket" (!) before activating it. Del Toro cites Tetsujin 28 as a childhood influence, but also mentions that he didn't want the jaegers to directly reference known designs.

I'm looking forward to seeing the flick this weekend. Early reviews at Rotten Tomatoes look favorable.
Can't wait for this weekend.... and so far the reviews (though early) have been very positive. 82% at Rotten Tomatoes.

Unfortuantely, I read that it's not tracking very well (bad marketing on Warner Bros part? Too many people thinking it's like Power Rangers?) and may underperform at the box office overall. For this, I entirely blame Gcrush.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I continue to be cautiously optimistic about this movie...but c'mon...the way the pilot "calls" out Elbow Rocket??? That's not hot blood. That's weak sauce.
Sanjeev
I continue to be cautiously optimistic about this movie...but c'mon...the way the pilot "calls" out Elbow Rocket??? That's not hot blood. That's weak sauce.

I can't believe that Del Toro would ask the designers to make the monsters look like they were a person in a suit instead of actually putting a person in a suit. That's like spending CGI dollars on marionettes. What the hell?

I've read a lot of comparisons to Go Go Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Rim Job. To me, unless there's a sweet-tittied Rita Repulsa calling the shots, that's not so good a comparison.

Also, until about five minutes ago I thought that the generic white dood was actually Channing 'Tater-Face Tatum. But, apparently he's not and it's just that all of our avatars these days look like Goofy Cornfed Douche Bros. Which is what Del Toro was going for. Go figure.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush
I can't believe that Del Toro would ask the designers to make the monsters look like they were a person in a suit instead of actually putting a person in a suit. That's like spending CGI dollars on marionettes. What the hell?

Seems to make sense to me. I mean, weren't you once explaining how the human mind likes to detect patterns...and making some amorphous blob move with a more humanoid anatomy would make it...less of an amorphous blob, no?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer