Snowpocalypse

Posted by fel9 
So did the entire northeast get wiped out or is that just business as usual? I woulndn't know I live in Atlanta, the city that shuts down if a single flake falls inside the perimeter.
It was an extraordinary storm. In my area, more than 2 feet of snow fell in about 8-10 hours. I am responsible for snow removal on 2 rental properties, so I was watching the progress keenly. When I went to bed around midnight Friday there was only 2 or 3 inches on the ground. When I got up at 8 on Saturday, there was 2 feet.

It took me 2.5 hours to get out of my driveway, and that was with a plow and a snowblower. During my attempts to plow driveways, I had three occasions when my plow could not push the volume of snow. (I'm not talking a small vehicle either - it's an 8 cylinder, full size pickup) I had to hack at the 6 foot high mountains with the snowblower until they were small enough to plow again.

Our infrastructure is fairly well equipped to handle snow, but there's not much that can be done with that much that fast.

Thank you
mcfitch (Admin)
Yeah pretty much what Jake said.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
I was out by Jake this weekend, and Saturday morning, we saw the landlord & lady busily snow-blowing and shoveling around the house (helps that they live in the adjoining unit). They even cleaned off my girl's car. Great folks!

We more or less stayed in on Saturday, but Sunday we ventured out for a walk in town. Traffic was crazy--what with back roads half their normal width, but other than that, I counted us "lucky". The snow by us was light/dry powder...unlike folks closer to the coast who got slammed with just as much snow, but whipping winds and rain/sleet as well. I believe Nekrodave lost power for a day or two...and the local cell tower got flattened (maybe...either way, he couldn't get cell reception no matter where he went in town).
Glad to hear you guys made it through okay. I can honestly say that I have never personally seen snow any deeper than 6" in my life so I can only imagine...
mcfitch (Admin)
You know, we used to get 6+" show a few times a year whe nI was a kid. Even when I was in college in the 90s. I miss that. I bought an AWD car I owned from 2007-2012. We really didn't get enough snow for me to have as much fun as I wanted. Now that I go back to a RWD sports car we get the storm of the century. WTF?
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
I just got back home last night (just south of Boston) from having been out in western MA this weekend. There was about 8" of snow...but it was all soaked, and thus very heavy. Great for snowball fights and building forts...not so great for shoveling!
Sanjeev
I just got back home last night (just south of Boston) from having been out in western MA this weekend. There was about 8" of snow...but it was all soaked, and thus very heavy. Great for snowball fights and building forts...not so great for shoveling!

Working hard causes a great big thirst....go ahead you deserve it....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer