[MONOPOLY] oh now this is just total bullshit

Posted by asterphage 
I didn't even realize that Hasbro's Parker Brothers division was thinning out the herd of Monopoly tokens, but they've already omitted the cannon/howitzer and the cowboy/cavalry officer/equestrian statue in recent years. Now they're exhorting fans to vote on Facebook to determine which token will be removed next, and offering us a slate of new tokens to choose from, including a diamond ring, an acoustic guitar, a kittycat, a helicopter, and a tin robot:

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 01:16PM by asterphage.
Attachments:
open | download - monopoly.com_saveyourtoken_old.png (364.6 KB)
open | download - monopoly.com_saveyourtoken_new.png (447.7 KB)
From digging through the FB page, here are some better images of the potential new tokens:

-Paul Segal

I have no problem if they replace either the thimble or the iron for a friggin' TOY ROBOT.
mcfitch (Admin)
What's so bad about this?
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
mcfitch (Admin)
Please note how the ones you grew up with aren't the originals anyway.

[mobile.newsday.com]

-Mason

Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Yeah, but according to that the slate of ten before the cannon and horse were removed goes back to the '50s. Still a pretty long legacy that they've only recently started messing with.

-Paul Segal

I mean, there were already more tokens than you'd ever be likely to have players. Why not just add new ones?

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
Man...

Slow toy-news day.
I would keep the iron for sure. Most women I have played the game with identify it as a positive symbol of thier domestic dedication and servitude. I think it would be a crime to take that away from the fairer gender.
Sanjeev (Admin)
LOL

I'd like to propose a proud, mighty conquistador, mounted on a horse...ready to bring civilization to some savages! Wait--that's too "ancient history" for kids these days...we need something more modern. How about an attack drone bristling with "smart" bombs???
By the time we are old men, I want there to be a "complete edition" Monopoly with at least 64 playing pieces which metaphorically represent the whole of human experience.

-Paul Segal

They'll never be able to keep that suitable for kids...
Metaphorically, Thomas! METAPHORICALLY!!!

-Paul Segal

Well... I'm sure we were ALL on the edge of our seats waiting for the results of the voting but it looks like the CAT wins and the IRON loses.... dammit... I wanted that ROBOT...
mcfitch (Admin)
KITTY!

asterphage
By the time we are old men, I want there to be a "complete edition" Monopoly with at least 64 playing pieces which metaphorically represent the whole of human experience.

genius.

Well, as Seth Meyers said on SNL, don't worry, you can still be the iron because NOBODY IS BUYING A NEW SET JUST FOR THIS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer