Do fantasy movies really suck?

Posted by Gcrush 
Just watched Der Hobbitzen: Parte Der Firstenzen. Spoiler alert - it's based on a flisy kid's book. But it's pretty much what you would expect from Piotr Jackson if you saw his indie trilogy that came out several years ago. Nothing surprising there.

However! We (unknowingly) saw the film in the 48 frames-per-second format and it was a nauseating visual mess. The clarity was so intense that the characters often seemed to float in front of the backgrounds and when they moved they would jump with spastic ejaculations that were utterly unnatural. During the vast, panning shots the camera would also appear to stop and then jerk suddenly in a new direction. It was anything but smooth. And it never relented. In our small party no one's eyes or brain ever adjusted and we felt motion sick at the end when we tried to walk out of the theater.

The amped up frame rate was such a shockingly bad and distracting experience that it almost ruined an otherwise reasonable film. I can't believe anyone in charge approved the decision to do it or didn't gasp in regretful horror during any pre-release screening. I'll be going out of my way to avoid 3D/48fps releases in the future.

Oh, and the Golden Eagles still suck. Why do the good guys never remember to call on them right from the start? Lame. Fantasy plots still suck as much as sci-fi.
Gcrush
However! We (unknowingly) saw the film in the 48 frames-per-second format and it was a nauseating visual mess. The clarity was so intense that the characters often seemed to float in front of the backgrounds and when they moved they would jump with spastic ejaculations that were utterly unnatural. During the vast, panning shots the camera would also appear to stop and then jerk suddenly in a new direction. It was anything but smooth. And it never relented. In our small party no one's eyes or brain ever adjusted and we felt motion sick at the end when we tried to walk out of the theater.

I could not agree more with your hatred for the 48 fps. My wife and I saw the HFR version and she stated at the end that the old BBC version of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe was less eye searing than the Hobbit. I do want to see it in the standard non-3D frame rate for comparison simply because I spent so much time noticing how cheap it all looks that I couldn't pay attention to the "plot"...Oh and as a giant Toldien nerd I have issues there as well...so I saw the movie but I'm not sure what I think of it because I saw it in a way that I don't think presented it at its best...Do we really need 6 different viewing options for a movie...Hell I kind of miss the good old days of just showing up and seeing what time its playing....Now I have to plan my day around what time the verison I want to see is showing...ugh...
Yeah, from what I've heard elsewhere, consensus is definitely see it in regular 24 FPS.

So on this thread....we can also discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of "Krull" and "Dragonslayer"?
mcfitch (Admin)
I saw it in regular old film format and it did the same jumping on the camera pans.

As far as the eagles, well, Tolkien covered that in the books. Gwahir, the king of the eagles, feels that man made this mess and he can clean it up, which is why he simply didn't fly the ring into Mordor and drop it in the volcano. he does however help Gandalf specifically when called since they're bros and he owes him a huge favor.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
H-man
Yeah, from what I've heard elsewhere, consensus is definitely see it in regular 24 FPS.

So on this thread....we can also discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of "Krull" and "Dragonslayer"?

I remember very little about Krull the movie...but Krull the arcade machine, I have very vivid memories of that...

Dragonslayer to this day has the coolest movie dragon of all time...hope that Smaug will be cooler but for now the king (or queen to be precise) is still Vermithrax Pejorative...gots to love Phil Tippett...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Does the new Jack, The Giant Killer movie qualify as "fantasy"? I was a big fan of the original (big fan of model animation in general), so I'm bound to see the remake. But other than that...fantasy can pretty much suck it. :P
Sanjeev
Does the new Jack, The Giant Killer movie qualify as "fantasy"? I was a big fan of the original (big fan of model animation in general), so I'm bound to see the remake. But other than that...fantasy can pretty much suck it. :P

Not watching "Game of Thrones" eh? That's probably the best Fantasy has to offer right now in TV/Film.

But yeah, "Jack the Giant Killer" would count as Fantasy, though I won't hold my hopes up to high on that one being good (studio keeps pushing the opening date back and back...).
Sanjeev (Admin)
Actually, I dig Game of Thrones, but only for the Shakespearean politics (well, and fantastic acting). I mean, the VAST majority of the plot really is just the politics. It's like Babylon 5 or Star Trek DS9...just with swords instead of phasers, kingdoms instead of planets, etc. I find the dragon babies and the, uh, frosty zombies stupid as hell (though I realize you DO need some impending doom looming overhead...necessary plot devices, but narratively weak).

Oh, and I have no doubt Jack will blow about as much as the Clash/Wrath of the Titans remakes! If the reviews are really that abominable, I'll still probably end up bittorrenting it at some point...'cause I'm a sucker!
Oddly enough when I started reading this thread I did't even think about Game of Thrones. I will say that as good as the show is the books are waaaay better....and if the third series of the show reflects what happens in the third book then the season will need to be about 100 episodes long...serious shit doth indeed happen...

As far as Jack the Giant Slayer it was directed by Bryan Singer...who when you look at his producton and directorial credits has pretty good track record. Sure there are a couple of low points, but all in all pretty solid....who knows...I read that the delay was more of a techinal problem than anything....but that might just be code....
I heard they are going to split Book 3 into two seasons.
Well they are going to have to make two years worth of episodes cover all the crazy stuff that happens in book three...
KRULL is badass fun. So was the vintage Clash of the Titans. Even if they both sucks.

I do not recall Dragon Slayer well enough to comment on the sexiness of the Vermithrax Pejorative (really?!) villain. But I do remember hating the shit out of the Cheech Wizard in it.

I have never Gamed a Throne aside from my usual daily Bathroom Trickery.

Never saw previews for Jackoff Giant Killah.

I think Shadow of the Colossus perfected the fantasy genre of slaying giant beasts. Can they really do anywhere new or interesting with it?

I still maintain that the Golden Eagles are one of the worst deus ex machina ever. But they inadvertently make a good case that, despite Tolkien's generally dodgy treatment of non-Aryans, nearly all the problems in Middle Earth are the direct result of racism. If all the "good guys" had simply not acted like totally racist dicks toward one another they could have cleared the continent of apocalyptic evil eons ago. Probably in a single afternoon, too.
Oh, and some scenes in the first Hobbit movie were Renn-Fest inducingly cringe-worthy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer