Legalized Marijuana - What to do?

Posted by cae 
cae
Marijuana is legal for recreational use in my home state of WA as of today.

I am almost tempted to try it and see what all the fuss is about but I'm kind of scared to, too.

I mean, what if I become addicted or start acting really crazy, like thinking I can fly or enjoying Cheech and Chong films and Simon and Garfunkel?

What if it makes me start to question authority or doubt the existence of G-d. *shudder*

Fortunately, procuring it is still illegal here, so I guess I may never have to worry about it.

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh man...

I'm fucking moving to Washington.

Then again...Massachusetts seems well on its way in that direction...
cae
I dunno. Its illegal to grow it or buy it. I think all you can legally do is *find* it somewhere ... but not publicly, mind you. They've managed to legalize it and keep it illegal all at the same time. Pretty wily ... unless you're trying to shrink - not *expand* - illegal activity on a black market.

Really, really stupid. Methinks the lawmakers were already smoking something when they put this one together ...

hassenpfeffer
cae
I dunno. Its illegal to grow it or buy it. I think all you can legally do is *find* it somewhere...

Alchohol was treated the same way during Prohibition. A dumb move then and a dumb one now. If history holds, it'll be another 14 years or so before lawmakers pull their heads out of their asses on this issue.
cae
The big plus is that law enforcement can now focus more on real - non-consensual - crimes.

Well, some of them, anyway.

That's a good thing.

hassenpfeffer
It's illegal to grow, or buy, or sell, so just steal it from someone else and give the gift of marijuana this Christmas.
Also, something I like to bring up to people I know who smoke weed and refuse to shop at Wal-Mart on moral grounds, the infrastructure they're supporting is far more corrupt and non-transparent.

If these measures in Washington and Colorado can achieve this, it's certainly a good thing:

[www.washingtonpost.com]
mcfitch (Admin)
I've never smoked weed but from age 11 through today I still enjoy Cheech and Chong movies. Go figure.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Roger
Also, something I like to bring up to people I know who smoke weed and refuse to shop at Wal-Mart on moral grounds, the infrastructure they're supporting is far more corrupt and non-transparent.

Duh. If you need to inform pot-smokers that Mexican drug cartels are corrupt and non-transparent, maybe they should slow down a bit. :P

Pick your battles.

But one of the interesting things I've heard from a lot of more "socially conscious" pot-smokers is that, while legalization would be nice for a variety of reasons, they're actually quite apprehensive about federal/nationwide legalization. The reason is that pot-growing would likely become a component of US agribusiness. Ya wanna talk about corrupt and non-transparent...? ;)
I'd recommend buying the largest quanitity you can afford and then eating the whole thing at once. For shits and giggles, literally.
Sanjeev
Duh. If you need to inform pot-smokers that Mexican drug cartels are corrupt and non-transparent, maybe they should slow down a bit. :P
Seriously, the next time you're hanging out with people smoking up, see if they can explain the chain of events that got it from the leaves of a living plant to a baggie in their pocket. I think even cocaine, heroin, and meth users are vaguely aware of the process and supply chain when it comes to their drug of choice, but there's this weird disconnect when it comes to pot (I know, I know). They think the local guy they bought it from just went into his backyard for it, like the vendor at the farmer's market.
Sanjeev
But one of the interesting things I've heard from a lot of more "socially conscious" pot-smokers is that, while legalization would be nice for a variety of reasons, they're actually quite apprehensive about federal/nationwide legalization. The reason is that pot-growing would likely become a component of US agribusiness. Ya wanna talk about corrupt and non-transparent...? ;)
Oh, absolutely. And the government is going to tax the hell out of it, too. But like growing your own brussels sprouts or brewing your own beer, if marijuana was legal, presumably there would be nothing stopping people from growing their own.
cae
> here's this weird disconnect when it comes to pot (I know, I know). They think the local guy they bought it from just went into his backyard for it, like the vendor at the farmer's market.

In some cases this can be semi-true, particularly in Northern CA but in general ... pot smokers like their green illusions. Natch.

hassenpfeffer
Sanjeev (Admin)
Will do. Should be interesting, really, because my buddies are very solidly working-class white guys, super-pro-union, and all that. Their political views are much different from mine (or, rather, they certainly come from a different place).

I'm reminded of this song:
[www.youtube.com]

Anyway, I agree: if pot becomes legalized nationally, even if it becomes exploited by Monsanto and the like, there will likely be outlets for getting "organic" stuff. And I don't think the gov't taxing the hell out of it would be all that bad since even then, it would probably be a lot cheaper than it is today.
So in WA and CO it still sounds like your best bet is to obtain the Chronic via Medical Marijuana avenues (oh my glaucoma!) but when that eye ailment miraculously clears up and you happen to have a little bit of that weed still left, then by all means, toke up.
cae
> And I don't think the gov't taxing the hell out of it would be all that bad since even then, it would probably be a lot cheaper than it is today.

That certainly hasn't been the case in Colorado where, after it was loosely legalized for medical purposes (anybody could get a friggin' license), black-market pot outsells legal - but time will tell if the more open legalization will allow cultivation to such a degree that legal pot prices can compete with the black-market.

hassenpfeffer
Just to qualify myself, have had lots of pot smoking friends and family over the years, and I don't judge it any worse than tobacco or beer in either context. I stayed away from it as I was heading into government work, and fortunately beer has served my fix quite reliably over the long haul.

If someone told me that my bottle of Tecate was in any way tied ,even peripherally, to the blood letting carnage in Mexico (especially the brutal village purgings of those caught in the crossfire), my conscience would have to wrestle deep and dirty every time I brought a six pack home. For anyone in the States to believe for one minute, lest you have a friend with an elaborate basement hydroponics setup, that at least some of your dope doen't come from across the border, I think you're kidding yourself. It's a tough situation, because this wasn't always tied to dope so stringently, of course here in Chicago, we've had hundreds of gang murders this year, and a good number of those are also tied to domestic distribution of the same.
A clarification: Washington State is working next on setting up licensed farms and retail stores. But that's not expected to be ready until about a year from now.

I've never touched the stuff--not on moral grounds, just for health reasons (bad lung trouble=non-smoker) and concerns over mandatory drug tests. Now I'd be tempted to try some brownies someday, at least. ;)
You better get moving on that before Michelle and the FDA make brownies illegal, with the obesity epidemic and all. Can't imagine legalizing pot will decrease anyone's appetite out there either, at least in the short term.

When I was looking at rings for my wife when we got engaged, I was educated as to the attrocities related to the diamond trade, including cooperative village members, including children, having half of their arms hacked off on an eerily regular basis. Still bought a diamond though.

Back to the CK complaint I had back years ago. Nothing bothers me more than weathly kids who spend big bucks on their clothes to look like they're poor. The whole embracing of distressed, torn, ravaged clothing begot the whole heroine addicted runaway child prostitue image which was popular among that set for so long. What is more repugnant in a society such as ours where well-to-do teens who live in abject safety and conformt feel a need to emulate those lost, abused by, or who have fallen through the cracks of that same society? (This all reinforces the notion of voting with your dollars, in that, no matter how nice the shirt, or how well it fit before I looked at the collar-ugh-I haven't purchased anything CK since, and I'm sure my boycotting them will bring them to their knees any time now).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2012 12:31PM by Supersentai.
Mike Parisi
I'd recommend buying the largest quanitity you can afford and then eating the whole thing at once. For shits and giggles, literally.

Is it illegal to import weed-derived products into the USA as a gift? I understand there's places in my country where you can buy cake laced with weed...
Can you roll a hemp handbag up and smoke it...?
MSW
Oh man, the stories I could tell! So, I guess I'm the bad boy of the group. I've tried LSD, ecstasy and my share of pot (yes, I inhaled... multiple times). I did them all in social situations (in the late 80's till early 90's, I was into what became known as the rave scene). The film Human Traffic could almost be a picture of my life from 1988 until about 1992, when I was 18 to 22 years old. Luckily I didn't get addicted to those drugs like I got addicted to caffeine and cigarettes.
Kind of strange that none of the illegal stuff you mentioned has addictive properties like tobacco and coffee, huh? ;p
My biggest concern about ever trying anything like acid was the people who actually make it in their homes...some of these folks would have a hard time following the directions for chocolate chip cookies, let along a psychotropic drug that can put you in the ground if not proportioned correctly.
MSW
Roger
Kind of strange that none of the illegal stuff you mentioned has addictive properties like tobacco and coffee, huh? ;p

LOL! True, but that was over 20 years ago, when many of you guys where developing your first memories. Back then we didn't have easy access to the scientific research into those drugs. Back then what we had was a bunch of "Say No to drugs!" propaganda lumping the dangers of those, comparatively less harmful drugs, to cocaine and heroin. Back then I was young and stupid, though I can still be stupid, I'm not young anymore.

What I meant to imply was that my addiction to caffeine and cigarettes was a contributing factor in my stroke last year. Not the illegal drugs I took two decades ago.

Supersentai
My biggest concern about ever trying anything like acid was the people who actually make it in their homes...some of these folks would have a hard time following the directions for chocolate chip cookies, let along a psychotropic drug that can put you in the ground if not proportioned correctly.

That was always a risk...for any illegal drug. Drug dealers could literally live or die by their reputation...just like any business in a capitalist economy. If some brand named product that you have been buying for years, suddenly caused customers to die...It would be doubtful that you will continue buying that particular brand named product. Same kinda thing apply to drug dealers.
cae
> My biggest concern about ever trying anything like acid was the people who actually make it in their homes...some of these folks would have a hard time following the directions for chocolate chip cookies, let along a psychotropic drug that can put you in the ground if not proportioned correctly.

That's the great thing about the difference between non-addictive and addictive drugs.

With something like meth, the fact that Little Barry Fundip, your toothless neighbor who can't tie his shoes without a manual, has some meth on the stove can be a real thrill to the meth addict while, if the same sputtering gumster came to your door hawking homemade LSD, your typical LSD fan might not be so eager to accept it - acause yer nawt aaaaachin' fer it.

Not that the divide between acid-devotee and meth-addict is necessarily such a gulf ... I've known some really fabulously dippy acid eaters, but for someone like yourself who is discerning enough to *care* about the source, you can usually establish a healthy provenance on the chemicals you hope to ingest. I would never take psychotropics that I can get no trusted history or character profile on (more so psilocybin than LSD, actually) . That's just stoopit.

hassenpfeffer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2012 09:21AM by cae.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Y'know what's funny about this direction of the conversation is that it TOTALLY reminds me of the GMO-labeling debacle going on in this country right now...

[www.youtube.com]
cae
I was thinking the same connection as I wrote my last reply - and almost tied it in with going to the grocery store but, you know what? I'm a lot pickier about my .... substances than I am my groceries.

Speaking of stoopit ...

hassenpfeffer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer