[When movies get remade...] Robocop

Posted by gingaio 
Man.

Seriously?

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2012 03:12AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - robocop-lot.jpg (56 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
I coulda sworn we were bitching about the new design in one of the other threads (superhero movies suck?)..? Oh well. There's always room for more bitching!

Yeah, it's freakin' terrible. GI Joe "accelerator suit". Nolan Batman. Iron Man...painted black. Just SO horribly derivative. I'm not saying I need the original suit untouched...but that original suit was so unique and iconic. For the time, it was pretty ground-breaking. This shit? Not so much...
Whoops. Sorry about that. But yeah, they made him a teched-out ninja and made him muscular. It's so...dumb.
mcfitch (Admin)
Please make sure his two remaining organic parts (hand and chin) are exposed. Good design choice.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
I'm waiting for the moment they remake a blockbuster that was released last year, or a remake of a remake of a remake.

Lately it seems people are really uninspired...

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
It's nice to see that they're making either a Borgman or Guyver film, but seriously, where are the Robocop pix?

Seriously, if this was a Borgman flick, that wouldn't be a bad modernterpretation, but if all that survived of poor Murphey was his hand and chin, they could have attached those to a pole, given him a whistle, and he could have just worked directing traffic.
MattAlt (Admin)
The first thing I thought upon seeing the pics was Raiden from the last Metal Gear game.
Richard Dean Anderson as the mcGUYVER?

Groan...?
Well, does anyone really want to see Robocop remade using the original, or near original, suit? I mean, why not just watch the original then? Yeah, the black suit isn't exactly thrilling, but at least its different. And the original, while certainly iconic in its own way, is a silly pastiche of bad sci-fi visuals.

Also, there was some concept art that showed the same suit with silver highlights. It looked a lot better. Not what I would have made, but better. At least it looks better than the redesigned ED-209 mess.

I also read that there might be multiple Robocoppers or costume changes, so there's that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 10:26PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - robocop11.jpg (46.9 KB)
open | download - A3D6EIJCMAAHa3h.jpg (43.8 KB)
Gcrush
Well, does anyone really want to see Robocop remade using the original, or near original, suit? I mean, why not just watch the original then? Yeah, the black suit isn't exactly thrilling, but at least its different. And the original, while certainly iconic in its own way, is a silly pastiche of bad sci-fi visuals.

I don't think that's what people here were asking for (or maybe some of them were, who knows?). But as the Reverend mentioned, the problem is that the black suit isn't really all that different--in fact, it feels very derivative of various techy/ninja/armored suits used in a bunch of recent movies. Now if that's just one of many different kinds of suits that'll be in the movie, that's fine.

The original suit was pretty original to me when I first saw it back in the day, even though the designers were influenced by "Japanese comics 'The 8 Man' and the first Tokusatsu Metal Hero 'Uchuu Keiji Gavan (Space Sheriff Gavan)' from Toei" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoboCop#RoboCop_design). The end product was still a nice visual surprise.

So personally, I wouldn't want to see the original suit again, but I don't want to see something that I've seen over and over recently either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2012 01:41AM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Agreed. That silver and black "concept art" version is mostly fine by me because even though the geometry is still essentially derivative, the color scheme is reminiscent enough of the original to keep me happy. I mean, this is a remake, NOT a sequel...that implies that it's probably not a good idea to alienate existing fans. Otherwise, why bother even calling it "Robocop"? Just make something 100% original.

Another example: that live-action Yamato movie. They kept the ship more or less the same as the original--to the delight of existing fans--but the way they did Analyzer? Holy shit. I've never seen so much FAIL on one screen at one time...and I'm certainly not alone in that opinion.

Oh...before I forget--what was the deal with the "redesigned ED-209 mess"??
MSW
Sanjeev

Maybe because so far it looks like this:
[www.geekosystem.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, uh, I hate to say it...but I kinda like the new ED-209. I mean, what's wrong with it? How would folks prefer it looked in an updated movie like this? I looks...updated. Generic mecha, sure...but so was the original, really...
gingaio
But as the Reverend mentioned, the problem is that the black suit isn't really all that different--in fact, it feels very derivative of various techy/ninja/armored suits used in a bunch of recent movies.

So personally, I wouldn't want to see the original suit again, but I don't want to see something that I've seen over and over recently either.

Personally, I'd like to see a Robocop redesign that takes the "pieces of leftover meat that used to be a cop" thing to an extreme conclusion. But I doubt most people would like what I'm picturing because it wouldn't be Robocop enough. There's a sweet spot that redesigns need to hit where they both invoke the images of a recognizable source while modifying it enough to be newish. In this case, that's probably why the chin and mouth are still exposed (though dozens of masked heroes have needlessly exposed jawlines, too).

As for the suit itself looking too derivative... To me, it looks like motorcycle gear with plate armor hung on it. And I think that’s why so many modern techy suits look so similar – they’re incorporating more realistic ergonomics. The original design (which I love in its entire campy splendor and yet took very seriously as a kid) looks like a fat guy that got wrapped in a cross between a 1950s Testa Rossa and an inside-out washing machine. It was amazing, but totally ridiculous from a design standpoint. (How is Robocop supposed to pass something from one hand to the other with shoulders like that?) So to translate the concept of an armored robot cop to a less metaphorical and more realistic level, the costume has to look, well, more realistic. Which it does.*

My point is that as these reboots strive for greater realism they’re going to produce designs that are more serious and less iconic.

Until weird, experimental, fantastical , or absurd make a return to cinematic reboots we should probably expect more of the same tacticool crap that looks uninspired and derivative because it might actually be feasible in the real world. Because when's the last time anyone saw a practical, real-world design and said, "Holy shit, that's inspiring?" There's a reason why fashion shows feature shit that could never, ever be worn on a bus. Goofball clothes get our attention while off-the-rack is boring.

Anyway, as long as the design fits with the tone of the film I don’t have any fault with it. Besides, it’s not like it takes away anything from the first Robocop.

Sanjeev
Agreed. That silver and black "concept art" version is mostly fine by me because even though the geometry is still essentially derivative, the color scheme is reminiscent enough of the original to keep me happy. I mean, this is a remake, NOT a sequel...that implies that it's probably not a good idea to alienate existing fans. Otherwise, why bother even calling it "Robocop"? Just make something 100% original.

I agree that the silver highlights look more interesting. At least it breaks up that morass of solid black.

As for it nothing being a sequel… I read something along the lines of it hedging the concept in the same way that Prometheus wasn’t exactly a prequel to Alien. Who knows though? I’m not sweating it. Verhoeven’s was such an excellent satire that I don’t see how anything Robocopish could top it. The choice to slap “Robocop” on the title instead of something original probably has much to do with marketing and maybe even copyright.

As for the new ED-209 design… While Robocop’s new duds at least look relatively ergonomic, ED-209 looks like a half-transformed design nightmare. As robots improve they have fewer acute angles and exposed parts, not more. While the old ED-209 looked like the front half of a Buick balanced on some chicken legs, at least most of it was well paneled. New ED looks like you could embed a led pipe in the frame at a few dozen points with fatal results. An improved design would be smaller with a more concealed frame.

Sanjeev
Another example: that live-action Yamato movie. They kept the ship more or less the same as the original--to the delight of existing fans--but the way they did Analyzer? Holy shit. I've never seen so much FAIL on one screen at one time...and I'm certainly not alone in that opinion.

I never saw it, but if it’s anything like this, I’m in.

* Much like how Nolan took Batman’s typical “bodybuilder in a spandex suit with underwear on the outside” look and turned it into “motorcycle ninja jammies” that might actually be wearable in real life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2012 09:04PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - analyze me.png (461.7 KB)
Why does Robocop need to carry a gun? Why not just give him gun arms or gun hands?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2012 09:07PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - Robert-Cop-T-Shirt.jpg (108.4 KB)
Seriously though, I love RoboCop and I thought these anatomical illustrations were badass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2012 09:10PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - 092410_rg_RobocopAnatomy_01.jpg (109.1 KB)
open | download - 092410_rg_RobocopAnatomy_02.jpg (47.4 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush
Sanjeev

I never saw it, but if it’s anything like this, I’m in.

It's nothing like that. NOTHING.

Anyway, I just think that "-cool" ultimately trumps "tacti-"...so while the new Robocop, Bat-Nolan-man, and other such designs appear more realistic than their respective predecessors, they also happen to be the "in" thing. Once tacticool is "out", I'm sure movie scifi designs will move onto something else (not necessarily realistic).

Then again, who knows??? As long as risk-averse film studios continue catering to the 25-40 year-old male focus groups, we might just see less and less diversity in scifi in the future! :P
MSW
Sanjeev
As long as risk-averse film studios continue catering to the 15-25 year-old male focus groups, we might just see less and less diversity in scifi in the future! :P

Fixed.

In a 1968 survey Hollywood found that 48% of movie theatergoers where between the ages of 17 and 24...That was 1968, a year before I was born. Now it's more like 75% of filmgoers are between those ages. That's why it's so critical for a film to be rated PG-13 these days, instead of R.
Sanjeev

It's nothing like that. NOTHING.

Then I'm never, ever going to go see it.

Sanjeev
Anyway, I just think that "-cool" ultimately trumps "tacti-"...so while the new Robocop, Bat-Nolan-man, and other such designs appear more realistic than their respective predecessors, they also happen to be the "in" thing. Once tacticool is "out", I'm sure movie scifi designs will move onto something else (not necessarily realistic).

Then again, who knows??? As long as risk-averse film studios continue catering to the 25-40 year-old male focus groups, we might just see less and less diversity in scifi in the future! :P

Yeah, "tactical" is more certainly "cool" right now. Can we blame the Matrix for this? I'm also getting tired of the basketball-skin approach to costumes, too. It confuses me and makes me jealous. I resent the fact that my clothing is so un-dimpled. Why are my only choices: A) smooth, or B) wrinkled? I'm angry at the garment industry for this horrible oversight. Fuck the Jetsons and their flying cars. I want skin tight body suits made out of b-balls and I want them now!

As for the lack of diversity... Yeah, I'd say that about 90% of modern sci-fi looks like it could inhabit the same universe. That gets to be boring after awhile. It makes me yearn for the mind-blowing absurdity of sci-fi designs like those in Fantastic Planet. Hell, I even liked Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes for the fresh costumes and visuals. Teenages have notoriously poor taste and the HALO generation is dooming us to a future of derivative Mastuh Cheef cloneage.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Y'know, it's kinda funny that while responding to this thread, I was totally thinking about Fantastic Planet.

Another thought: the reason I think "cool" ultimately trumps "tactical" is how thoroughly UNrealistic so many elements of these scifi movies are. Batman doesn't carry guns. That's cool. Oh, but his utterly ludicrous flying...kajigger...is equipped with rotary cannons. Cool...but asinine. Matrix not-Power Loaders look cool and high tech...but afford the pilot nearly ZERO protection. I mean, it goes on and on...

But whatever. Whether you like the new Robocop design is purely opinion. The first thing I think of is "plastic"--not "realistic"--when I see it...whereas I think "heavy" when I see the original (which, I feel is more appropriate...and cool).

But who knows--even though I hate it now, if the movie ends up actually being dope (yeah...when pigs sprout wings and fly), I'd be down to pick up a toy rendition of it.
Sanjeev
Another thought: the reason I think "cool" ultimately trumps "tactical" is how thoroughly UNrealistic so many elements of these scifi movies are. Batman doesn't carry guns. That's cool. Oh, but his utterly ludicrous flying...kajigger...is equipped with rotary cannons. Cool...but asinine. Matrix not-Power Loaders look cool and high tech...but afford the pilot nearly ZERO protection. I mean, it goes on and on...

But whatever. Whether you like the new Robocop design is purely opinion. The first thing I think of is "plastic"--not "realistic"--when I see it...whereas I think "heavy" when I see the original (which, I feel is more appropriate...and cool).

I was thinking a similar thing, actually. The sexy plasticky battle-suits were also done in Dune, I believe, complete with personal fluid recyclers. Suits like these always struck me as super-hot (uncomfortable) and hard to move in (not that bulky metal armor is much better).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2012 02:43PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Holy shit.

[www.sideshowtoy.com]

Do want.
Sanjeev
Holy shit.

[www.sideshowtoy.com]

Do want.

Apparently there will be an honest-to-glob Peter Weller head under there.

I fucking adore the gooch-face mouth parts, too. Now you can re-enact the Robo-Wet-Dream scenes on your shelf:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2013 12:30AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - Robo Gooch Face.jpg (228.6 KB)
"Is that what you hugh-mans call love?"

Sanjeev
Holy shit.

[www.sideshowtoy.com]

Do want.

I don't know if you own any HotToys stuff, but their hit to miss ratio of figures is outstanding. The Marvel stuff is amazing. I am looking forward to the Diecast Ironman...Yeah I know cheesy movie, but a frigging 12" tall diecast Ironman is a little too tempting to pass up...And now this...He does indeed look badass...
Sanjeev (Admin)
I don't. I've handled a few of their figures, but I've never purchased one. I came close with the most recent (diecast?) War Machine...but could never quite pull the trigger.

Ben tells me I should just preorder from Sideshow because of their great service, but I was wondering if there were any cheaper alternatives...perhaps overseas...?
Sanjeev
I don't. I've handled a few of their figures, but I've never purchased one. I came close with the most recent (diecast?) War Machine...but could never quite pull the trigger.

Ben tells me I should just preorder from Sideshow because of their great service, but I was wondering if there were any cheaper alternatives...perhaps overseas...?

To be honest Sideshow runs a pretty tight ship. I have seen prices lower, but their customer service is excellent. In the rare case that I had something go wrong they fixed it (usually with expidited shipping). Try that with most of the overseas folks. They are especially nice if you can manage to catch one of their free shipping coupons that they e-mail out. The other thing to think about is that a large number of online retailers use Sideshow as a commercial vendor so their prices aren't any better. The other thing that SS does is they will do flex payments. If you preorder something you want (like robocop there) they will split up your payments while you wait for the fig to release...Not really my bag but some like it...Pretty solid operation overall...You could find a better price probably, but will pay more in shipping.
Sanjeev (Admin)
^^Yeah, most everyone I've talked to has said pretty much that.

Well, I just placed my preorder with Sideshow. Can't wait!
Am I the only one who thinks it's not fair that Hot Toys can pull off all these high end super cool perfectly rendered DIECAST Iron Mans, Robocops and ED-209's that most of us can never afford? Bandai doing a DX Mazinger SOC is one thing... there will always be other Mazingers gokins, affordable ones. But when will we ever come across a great diecast Robocop or ED-209 ever again?
This is pretty much you shot at a large scale diecast robocop...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Harv, do you mean that you'd like to see Robocop and other roboty Western characters done in diecast by more companies at other size/price points?
NECA is coming out with what looks like a detailed, articulated ED-209 at a much lower price point ($50-80 range) so it's not just that... it's that all of a sudden, these um... "upstart" companies like Hot Toys are finally doing stuff that we only dreamed of 10-15-20 years ago with such high quality (and DIECAST too) and I'm kind of past my peak and ability to even keep up or afford this stuff (que Jackie Chan "mind blown" meme). Just my own personal grumblings. Love to live vicariously through whoever picks them up and does nice detail review though!
Sanjeev (Admin)
You just described this whole "adult collectibles" market, man! ;)
"I can see your ED-209."

The NECA ED-209 looks awesome. I read that they're doing a single production run on it, so if you don't pre-order it you might not get one later...
Gcrush

The NECA ED-209 looks awesome. I read that they're doing a single production run on it, so if you don't pre-order it you might not get one later...

Dagnabbit.... (cx'ling my "Pacific Rim" pre-order and ordering "ED After 209" with BBTS right now....)
I'm just loving that Fantastic Planet is getting referenced here. One of my favorite all-time movies right there.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
The first time I saw that movie, I was baked outta my gourd. It was magical.

We were watching the English dub...which I dare say makes the movie even more surreal.
Sanjeev
The first time I saw that movie, I was baked outta my gourd. It was magical.

We were watching the English dub...which I dare say makes the movie even more surreal.

That's how I saw the movie first - when I was maybe 10 years old. It was a very memorable experience for sure. I'm not sure how many people think of Fantastic Planet as a nostalgic childhood memory, but it is for me.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
[www.youtube.com]

I'll go see it.

But my expectations are low.
Yeah, it doesn't look as .... bad... as I thought it would be. But still expectations are way way low. Interesting that they start with the silver robo-suit (which doesn't look half bad) but then change it to the black suit (which still looks cheesy).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer