Ultra Seven Complete Series on DVD!

Posted by H-man 
Wow... never thought I'd see this coming!

[www.amazon.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yup! Crazy, huh? Someone (August?) announced it on skullbrain a couple weeks back...and the fansubs promptly stopped! I still hope they (the fansubbers) release episode 12...'cause you know that shit's not gonna be in the commercialized set!

Anyway, I have no hard facts that say whether the Ultraman set did well or not, but since the disks are getting blown out of every e-tailer for dirt-ass cheap, I assumed it didn't do well. But here we have Seven! Episode 12 or not, that's pretty fantastic news.

Maybe there IS hope of getting Ultra Q...
Sanjeev
Maybe there IS hope of getting Ultra Q...

My heart is a-flutter at the very thought.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
cae
Yup - pre-ordered it a while back. Totally thrilled. Not expecting any more thereafter but ... I'd take 'em!

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
There's a lot of talk among die-hards that this is licensed from Chaiyo because of that whole rights debacle, so I'm a little torn on getting the release... but Ultra Seven domestically, man.
cae
Provenance isn't entirely clear (unless more news has appeared that I'm unaware of) but, according to August Ragone, it's a legal release:

"ULTRA SEVEN was licensed by Shout! Factory through Golden Media Group. Shout! Factory recently licensed TIME OF THE APES, MIGHTY JACK, FUGITIVE ALIEN, and STAR FORCE through Tsuburaya, and asked about the Ultra Series. Tsuburaya said that they could only license the newer shows — not the older shows. So, Shout had to license ULTRA SEVEN through Golden Media Group, not Chaiyo."

and

"... at this time, Tsuburaya Productions isn't allowed to distribute ULTRA Q through ULTRAMAN TARO outside of Asia. Golden Media Group, which distributes a number of Japanese properties, apparently has some of these titles. Not sure how Golden acquired them, but it's legitimate and legal at this time — unless Tsuburaya is able to overturn the court's decision at some point in the future.

From their founder's bio: "Golden Media Group Inc. a California corporation owned by Mr. Aki Komine commenced business in 2002, mainly to handle the films of Japanese clients which include all the major Japanese studios such as: Kadokawa Pictures, Nikkatsu Corporation, Shochiku Co, Ltd., Toei Co.Ltd. and Toho Co., Ltd."

"From 1985- 1989 Mr. Komine served in executive positions with Daiei Studios in Tokyo Japan. In particular he was in charge of the company's Video distribution."

So, they aren't some fly-by-night company."

quoted from [www.blogger.com]

hassenpfeffer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2012 09:08AM by cae.
Sanjeev (Admin)
So...does that sorta imply that an "Ultra Q" release by Golden Media is within the realm of possibility?
cae
August responded to a similar question on Facebook. His take was along the lines that Ultra Q was unrelated and, thus, the question unanswerable with any degree of validity.

hassenpfeffer
Sanjeev (Admin)
That means there's hope, damnit! ;)
cae
Not if you keep spelling "dammit" with an 'n' there isn't! :D

hassenpfeffer
Sanjeev (Admin)
Har! Get a few beers in me and you'll *really* see some butchery of the English language!
cae
just as long as you don't spell "whoa" "woah," we're okay.

hassenpfeffer
Sanjeev (Admin)
Nah, I spell it "keanu".

;)
cae
I clicked the report button on that one. You're goin' down, buddy. And I don't mean on me.

hassenpfeffer
But Golden Media Group most likely licensed it from Chaiyo...

See:
[www.tohokingdom.com]

I agree that Golden Media Group is not a fly by night company by any means (I think they did Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, for instance), and I don't blame them for going with the company who the Japanese courts (for now) say have the rights.

Also, no episode 12.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2012 07:02PM by fujishig.
cae
Ah! Interesting. (still on pre-order)

hassenpfeffer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2012 06:57PM by cae.
What's the deal with episode 12?
cae
"Episode 12 was later banned from broadcast in Japan due to concerns that the episode's featured aliens, portrayed as disfigured creatures afflicted with radiation sickness and burns, would be offensive to survivors of the atomic bomb drops in Japan during World War II. Officially, Tsuburaya Productions refuses to acknowledge this episode's existence. However, the episode has been aired and/or dubbed in overseas adaptations of the series."

hassenpfeffer
Huh. Interesting. Has an English language version of this episode ever come out?

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
cae
according to someone's entry on Wikipedia, TNT ran all 49 episodes ... including #12 [en.wikipedia.org]

hassenpfeffer
Wait... there was a Zarborgar movie made recently and it's available here, on Blu-ray no less?

[www.amazon.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I have a copy of episode 12 (the English dub from TNT)...but the quality's pretty crummy.
cae
DId it lose it's power of offense in the transfer or do you still rise to your feet in fist-shaking outrage when you watch it?

hassenpfeffer
Sanjeev (Admin)
I could definitely sense some potential for face-palming...but at no point did I flip over the dinner table.

Then again, I've never had a nuclear bomb dropped on me (or my parents/grand-parents) with no apology.

Then again again, I was more than half in the bag when I watched it; I'll have to check it out again sober.

Edit: Shoulda probably looked earlier, but I just checked the download link I used before to get it. It's been taken down. :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2012 03:01PM by Sanjeev.
cae
I'm kinda bummed it's not included -but not really. Since I've never seen it and don't own any related toys from it, if I pretend I don't know it's supposed to be there, I bet I wont miss it. :D

hassenpfeffer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2012 03:47PM by cae.
Sanjeev (Admin)
There ya go, man.

I think Siccaluna made a Spiru ("Spell"?)-seijin toy...and I guess Zollmen made an omake packed in with other full-size figures of theirs. So says Ro-jya...moar here. Anyway, besides the controversy, it's mostly forgettable.
Sanjeev (Admin)
So...

Rumor I just heard over on skullbrain...

Shout! Factory will be dropping Ultra Q.

=)
cae
OMFG - let it be true!

hassenpfeffer
I would so buy Ultra Q in English in a heartbeat.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
But the show is all in Black and White!
Sanjeev (Admin)
H-man
But the show is all in Black and White!

Maybe they'll colorize it! :P

For real, though--when I heard the rumor on skullbrain (remember guys, it's just a rumor for now!), someone mentioned wanting colorized versions. I facepalmed. Hard.
What's wrong with B&W?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Beats me.

I chock it up to "kids these days". :P
I was just being facetious... no problems with B&W, except it makes everything look OLD and like WWII or something...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh I know...

But what absolutely weirds me out is how many of my coworkers (who're all in their early 20's) really just CANNOT watch movies from the 80's or before. It's just something about the clarity, pop art colors, and eye-melting contrast in modern films that has them programmed to accept nothing else...

Masterpieces like (Carpenter's) The Thing or Alien are totally unwatchable to them (or they can *try* to watch, but they just tune out to some degree).

Frustrating...and a bit scary...
Sanjeev
But what absolutely weirds me out is how many of my coworkers (who're all in their early 20's) really just CANNOT watch movies from the 80's or before. It's just something about the clarity, pop art colors, and eye-melting contrast in modern films that has them programmed to accept nothing else...

It's interesting. I find most black & white films, and most mid-century color films, to be perfectly acceptable in every technical aspect, in terms of how the picture "hits my eye" so to speak, irrespective of the quality of the movie itself.
But there's a point in the 70s and 80s where about half of the movies I've seen have something that feels subtly visually wrong to me... I think it's a combination of the film stock they used then and the way some directors lit and shot their films, but the *space* looks wrong. The sense of the picture as a 2d representation of a 3d space resolves wrong in my brain. Everything looks cheap and small, like a shadowbox with actors in it, or a flat composition with actors in front of it. This has nothing to do with the use of cheap sets or backdrops... it even hits me sometimes in outdoor shots. I don't know enough about how film works to really figure it out, though it's different from the cheap look of old TV series that were poorly shot on videotape.

And this isn't even something that I've been gradually outgrowing - back when I was young, and saw all my movies on a crappy old TV, everything looked the same to me. Because of how a poor display device can flatten everything out anyway, I couldn't even catch on to things like the difference in visual space between how most TV sitcoms are shot and how a good movie is shot. It's only today, with the HD era, that I've really been able to look at something like less-than-exemplary 70s movie, and say, "this looks old and crappy to me, while its better contemporaries look like they could've been shot yesterday on old film stock".

I suspect if we got a bunch of people who dislike the look of older films and forced them to take the time to really look at those films, and investigate what's causing their problems, we could learn something about what they can become accustomed to and learn to appreciate, and what may have been a technical misstep in how the moving image was recorded.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
cae
To be sure, the show is incredibly lame - far more plodding, formulaic, and (if possible) even *dumber* than its predecessor, Ultraman - but I still love seeing all the crazy monsters.

by the by Sanjeev, speaking of the modern erasing the past for our youth "I chock it up to "kids these days". :P"

It's "chalk" - as in to keep score with blackboard chalk - a substance used for drawing on rough surfaces, as it readily crumbles leaving particles that stick loosely to these surfaces. Although traditionally composed of natural chalk, modern blackboard chalk is generally made from the mineral gypsum (calcium sulfate), often supplied in sticks of compressed powder about 4 in (10 cm) long.

I'm assuming you went to schools that only had "whiteboards"? :D

hassenpfeffer
Sanjeev (Admin)
So true, regarding Ultraseven being quite even more gloriously awful than Ultraman! But those kaiju...

And where were you when I was writing my philosophy thesis in college!?

Damnit. ;)
Paul, I think what you're seeing (and I'm seeing as well) is a mix of the film stock, the kind of lenses used and a misguided effort on the cameraman's and director's part to want 'reality', using lots of natural light.

Take the film 'The Omega Man'. It was a Big Deal picture back in the day, a major studio effort (at a time when the studios were self-destructing and being taken over by money men) yet to my eyes, it looks EXACTLY like an ABC Movie of the Week. Not any significalty different than 'The Last Dinosaur'.

Or, in a different post-apocalypse film, Yul Brenner's 'The Ultimate Warrior'. Which, on reflection, may well have been shot on the same backlot set as The Omega Man.

(and I LIKE The Last Dinosaur. I'll cut anyone who disses it. :) )

The amazing music by Ron Grainer even sounds like 'movie of the week' in many ways, and it wasn't until I got the soundtrack CD I twigged onto how awesome it is.

But these things you and I notice, that's not what's keeping such films from 'those kids' today. I have theories about it but it'll seem insane.

OK, try this. It's all peer pressure. There's nobody within their social circle telling them what's cool. Nobody wants to take the risk of liking something that isn't 'approved'.

Some things have been 'approved' by some outside pop culture element, such as Family Guy, so it can be liked but only in an ironic, deconstructive way.

Or so it seems to me.
Sanjeev (Admin)
The Last Dinosaur was great!

Wait...what were we talking about? Oh yeah: Ultraman!

Well, since this is sorta the de facto thread for Ultra-talk (and correcting my English! :P ), I wanted to cross-post this from Mark Nagata's blog:
[youtu.be]

It's the first part in this year's Monsterpalooza Q&A session, featuring Kurobe Susumu (Hayata), Sakurai Hiroko (Fuji), and Furuya Bin (the guy who played Ultraman in the actual suit). Very enjoyable!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer