Prometheus Rising Heavy Industries debuts 3D printed bots at FOE in February!

Posted by Prometheum5 
Sanjeev (Admin)
The printer output definitely shows promise. Hey, you don't recall seeing any SLS printers for the consumer market, do ya? It seems like FDM and slowly SLA are the only real options for everyday folks...
Sanjeev
The printer output definitely shows promise. Hey, you don't recall seeing any SLS printers for the consumer market, do ya? It seems like FDM and slowly SLA are the only real options for everyday folks...

I have not. The laser part doesn't seem to be the problem, but I don't think anybody's come up with a cheap and easy way to lay the powder layers.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Makes sense.

It's just so funny that polyamide is usually one of the cheapest materials offered by most print services...you'd think the actual printers were affordable...
I made a new friend this week.

The Allaround stands about five inches tall in 1/18ish scale. The design is heavily inspired from the Allover Wear Puppet from Vifam, with a few tweaks.

It's articulated with ball joints at the shoulders, hips, and ankles. The final version will also feature a swivel waist.

You can read all about the printing process that brought the Allaround to life on my site, with video!
[prometheusrising.net]

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Fucking awesome. I love the write-up on your blog. The video's nice, too...but it's be cooler if you could just mount the camera on a tripod and video the *whole process* from the get. Then, in some video editing software, just speed it up several times and throw in some funny background music. But I'm getting greedy here...

Your CAD skills are coming along nicely and I like seeing a nearly-finished product.
I'll have to look into how much video my iPod can record. The Tested.com guys do some wonderful Makerbot printing videos that it would be fun to mimic. The Makerbot is much easier to shoot, though, with its open build area.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah...but open build area is dangerous. I wonder if you can hack a plexiglass replacement door or something like that...

Eh well, whatever. Forget all that dumb shit--focus on making us some toys.
Nice work dude!
Last night during HLJ's Black Friday sale I ordered enough joint parts to make some Allovers... now I just need to order some more plastic filament, preferably in a more photogenic color!

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I hope you really cleaned out their stock, man...you're gonna need them!

And, yes, MOAR COLORS.
So, the two primed Allover prototypes are still sitting waiting to be painted and I haven't had time to work on them... the nice thing about having a printer and being busy, though, is that you can start a print in the morning and come home from work in the evening to finished parts. Thus, I decided to go big: [prometheusrising.net]

Six inch scale (1/12) Bounce Tortoise v.2 reporting for duty!

With fine filament printing, the bigger the print, the sharper the detail. Huge print = great detail.

The new Bounce Tortoise features ball jointed shoulders and hips, and articulated knees and elbows made entirely from printed parts! Plus, a sweet new waldo arm.

More pics and a bit more explanation on my site... This version feels awesome in hand, and I am working hard on figuring out where the Bounce Tortoise project is going and what kind/size of figure I want to release. This one has a lot of promise, and the selection of joints used is pretty manageable.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gods. That fucking back view is sex in my eyes. Love the highly refined techy detail. Now, was your intention to make a human-sized Omega Supreme??? :P

Anyway, how are the all-printed joints working out? Are they retaining their friction after a lot of use? I would imagine the ABS would hold up pretty good. Certainly better than other 3D printed materials...

Also, at this scale, would you happen to have a rough idea of how much it costs to print?
Ha, I totally did not see the Omega Supreme thing until you pointed it out... I think once I start working on backpack mounted heavy weapons he will look a little less like Omega..

The plastic cost is not a big deal... you don't realize how far a kilogram of plastic filament will go until you start cranking out huge parts. The biggest cost for these guys is time. After seeing an entire office full of Replicator 1s and 2s chugging away, I have come to the realization that my printer is sloooow. A plate with say, a foot, a lower leg, and the leg booster bit will take around five or six hours. The Torso and the upper arms took eight. It's not a big deal since I'm not sitting there watching the printer go most of the time, but it also means I can't bang out a whole new figure in a day.

As for the joints, the ABS holds up better than the polycaps. I have some more experimenting to do, but I would love to eventually have the figure be 100% printed and get away from using any polycaps. I spend more time fighting with lousy tolerances and flimsy design on the polycap to polycap interactions than I do printing figures.

[prometheusrising.net]
Hey all,

People have been asking me for a while when all this 3D printed stuff I've been posting would actually go somewhere and be released. I am happy to report that we have finally reached that point. I will be debuting the fruit of my mecha labors under the sub-label Prometheus Rising Heavy Industries at the Rise of the Robots show at FOE Gallery opening on February 8th!

[blog.shopfoe.com]

If you follow me on Twitter or are my real-life friend on Facebook, then your feed has been filled with work in progress shots for the last couple of weeks. If not, here's some highlights:

There will be completed figures for sale, and some not-for-sale items showing off what's still in the pipeline. I have been working like mad to get stuff done for the show and have a lot of things planned for the future, so be sure to check out the figures at the show and keep your eyes peeled for news of what's next. Once these guys are out the door I can start planning for a regular release and more designs!

[prometheusrising.net]
Woo! Looks really cool! Congrats!

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Good to see this going strong Ben.
I plan to check this out at FOE and will bring my latest balloon-tying robot interpretations to trade! *kidding of course*
See ya there. Maybe the mysterious Anavel, Sanjeev, Jake,and Veef team will be there!
Sanjeev (Admin)
repairtechjon
Maybe the mysterious Anavel, Sanjeev, Jake,and Veef team will be there!

Working on it!

;)
Dunno if there's much anyone left here, but I'll keep posting these out of habit for now:

FOE Gallery’s Rise of the Robot Show is just five days away now, so I wanted to give people a taste of what Prometheus Rising Heavy Industries has to offer in full studio photography glory. The Jungle colored Bounce Tortoise prototype has already been shown, but these are the official studio pics as opposed to the work in progress shots I’ve already posted. I have full galleries for everything appearing at the show, but will wait to post the rest until after the show opens. For now, bask in some green and brown real robot goodness…

The PBT-002 Bounce Tortoise is a flexible mainline combat power suit platform capable of fulfilling multiple roles depending on configuration. The standard rank and file loadout is equipped with one heavy waldo claw and one beam cannon. For the first prototype six inch scale Bounce Tortoise I went with a two-tone jungle type color scheme to show off the detail. This guy is not for sale but will be in display at FOE.

The first 1/12 scale Bounce Tortoise revealed a few things that needed to be tweaked in the design before production, but was a successful proof of concept for the size and articulation. I cleaned up the print texture with a little sanding and Liquid Green Stuff, but did not go crazy removing every trace of print layering. I like the effect of a little layering. It adds an interesting texture to the heavy armor chunks, while picking out curved surfaces and upper panels for more thorough smoothing gives them a more refined feel. The big Tortoise is articulated at the shoulders and hips with aftermarket ball joints, and the elbows and knees are fully printed hing parts.

More details shots on my site:
[prometheusrising.net]

Details about the Rise of Robots show at FOE Gallery:
[blog.shopfoe.com]

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Seeing the visible print layers sort of reminds me of comic book-style shading. The effect's pretty neat!

Looking forward to seeing (and handling) these toys at FOE. But just curious: why not for sale?
Sanjeev
Seeing the visible print layers sort of reminds me of comic book-style shading. The effect's pretty neat!

Looking forward to seeing (and handling) these toys at FOE. But just curious: why not for sale?

This particular one's not for sale because he's a few tweaks short of the final 1/12 BT geometry. There will be other big guys there that are for sale ;)

[prometheusrising.net]
Rise of the Robots had a bit of a soft launch due to the weather, but I've got pics of all the PRHI figures appearing there!

Three 1/12 scale Bounce Tortoises are in attendance. The Desert model and the Ostrich model are for sale, and will be listed on FOE's site if they are still available.

Two 1/24 scale Bounce Tortoises are available at the show.

Two 1/18 scale Allarounds are at the show for display but are not for sale yet. These guys went through one more round of tweaks, but will have a regular release soon.

Lots more pics of all the figures here on my site!

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Very nice!

So what's the story with the opening at FOE? Like, is there gonna be a reception party this weekend?
There is going to be a reception with some of the artists this Saturday, Feb 16th from 2-5 to make up for missing the opening last weekend due to the snow. I'll be there, and hopefully other people will be able to make it!

[prometheusrising.net]
Two cool things:

I made an appearance on this week's Moderately Geeky Podcast talking about 3D printing, my process, and my inspirations for Prometheus Rising Heavy Industries. You can check it out there:
[moderatelygeeky.podbean.com]

Second, I built a test of a new Tortoise variant, the Striking Tortoise:

When I redesigned the Bounce Tortoise, I made the leg bosters and backpack separate parts, allowing me to design other loadout modules for different Tortoise variants. After doing the highly mobile Bounce Tortoise, I knew I wanted to do something heavier. The Striking Tortoise was designed around a shoulder weapon mount backpack and shock-absorbing outriggers for the legs. The first heavy weapon I designed was the Saber Missile Pod. I have plenty of ideas for other artillery type weapons and a couple crazy things, but the clean geometry of a missile pod seemed like a great place to start. I kept the colors simple on this guy to keep the focus on the new accessories, but I could see some variation of these colors becoming a production scheme down the line.

Listen to the podcast for some insight into my future plans... I am still tweaking some ideas before gearing up for a production run, but there are figures coming :) For now, there are still two figures left on FOE's site from the Rise of the Robots show:

[www.shopfoe.com]

[prometheusrising.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer