Prometheus Rising Heavy Industries debuts 3D printed bots at FOE in February!

Posted by Prometheum5 

I know I’ve been quiet for the summer, but I finally have new things to show, but I think you guys are going to like them. In the first Adventures in Shapeways post on my site, I showed off some basic modeling and print tests that were just a way for me to get a handle on making something on screen and having it show up at my doorstep. Now we’re into real designs, starting with the PBT-0XX Bounce Tortoise prototype. Power armor in the Starship Troopers, Dorvack, and Machinen Krieger tradition is one of my favorite things. With the infinite possibilities afforded by CAD, I decided to start with a power suit.

The PBT-0XX Bounce Tortoise was inspired by Dorvack and more Western power designs. The sculpt was also intended as a way to gain more practice with certain features in Pro/E, and with some toy design goals in mind. This first print was intended as a sizing test, and has a couple of issues that have since been ironed out. This print is in Shapeways’ White Strong Flexible Polished, and is actually pretty good looking. The issues I experienced with the prints from my earlier post did not come up here, and the polished finish looked better than I expected. I’ve been working on and off on the design since April, and finally getting a plastic figure in my hand was a surreal experience.

More pics and more developments will be going up at PRS over the next few weeks!
[prometheusrising.net]

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2013 04:12PM by Prometheum5.
MSW
Looking good! How big is it?
Thanks. This one's just an oddball size around 2.5"... I have some pretty specific plans for sizing that I'll get into in later posts :)

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I likes.

The wee toes are cute!
B00
It looks fantastic man. I love all the details around the hips and elbows.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Bounce Tortoise...the name in itself is a winner. Nice job with the design!

- Mike

Deep in the Hasbro Jungle
Mr. Ginrai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bounce Tortoise...the name in itself is a winner.
> Nice job with the design!

Thanks! I couldn't decide if I wanted to go Western or Okawara style with the naming, but Veef helped me work through the possibilities.

[prometheusrising.net]
Hahaha, well, that name is literally half western and half okawara...

-Paul Segal

MattAlt (Admin)
Nice!

A new shipment came earlier this week with much more exciting prints.

The middle print from the first photo is a WSF Polished print of the PBT-000 Bounce Tortoise near final version in 1/60 scale. Standing the Bounce Tortoise next to the ubiquitous Scopedog in 1/60 scale and a 1/60 scale human reveals a bit more about the size of the design. 1/60 is such a common and important mecha toy scale that I knew I had to make a figure in that scale. Now I have a Bounce Tortoise that can interact with Scopedogs, Destroids, Valkyries, Patlabor mecha, Gundam, and so much more.

More pics and news on my site!

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
>
> The middle print from the first photo is a WSF
> Polished print of the PBT-000 Bounce Tortoise near
> final version in 1/60 scale. Standing the Bounce
> Tortoise next to the ubiquitous Scopedog in 1/60
> scale and a 1/60 scale human reveals a bit more
> about the size of the design. 1/60 is such a
> common and important mecha toy scale that I knew I
> had to make a figure in that scale. Now I have a
> Bounce Tortoise that can interact with Scopedogs,
> Destroids, Valkyries, Patlabor mecha, Gundam, and
> so much more.

Scaaaaale Paaaaaarty

That's gotta be tiny, though. Personally, I'd love a 1/18 scale one.

-Paul Segal

1/18 would be be mighty expensive from Shapeways, but you can always dream. I'd rather go to 1/24 to go alongside the Dorvack, Mak, and VOTOMS figures and kits first. Once you get to GIJoe scale and larger, I think more articulation and detail would be needed.

The 1/60 version is pretty small, but I love it for throwing in my pocket. It's similar to the Dorvack trading figure suits that CMs released alongside the Brave Gokin Calibur, which was very much an inspiration ;)

[prometheusrising.net]

Today I'm showing off the larger, more Deluxe Bounce Tortoise in 1/35 scale, again shown next to a 1/35 scale Scopedog, and a 1/35 scale Maschinen Krieger suit.

The 1/35 scale Bounce Tortoise is articulated at the shoulders. That in and off itself is not all that earth-shattering, but how I accomplished that is something I am pretty proud of:

Polycaps! The shoulder is designed to accept a Kotobukiya aftermarket polycap from a set that also comes with hard plastic rods that fit into the arm itself. The movement is smooth and the parts are rugged, so the Bounce Tortoise can be handled without fear of damage!

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
You should post the pic of the one you painted up.

Also, post some closeups of the stainless steel one you printed! I think I'm gonna try printing a "baby" (MUSCLE-style) Gin Gin in stainless steel...

Glorious stainless steel.
[prometheusrising.net]

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
^^ Totally awesome. Looks like a statue carved in stone...and the surface pitting really isn't THAT bad given the size of the print. I digs it.

I’ve been showing off blazing white prints for the last few posts, and I thought it was time to finally show off the detail of the Bounce Tortoise design. The WSF Polished prints have some surface texture to them, and the detail is not razor sharp, but I could not wait any longer to try painting one of these guys. This is a PBT-0xx print as shown in Adventures in Shapeways Part 2, before some changes and tweaks were made to the detail and size. It was still a blast to paint.

The surface texture is especially apparent on the shiny Monster Kolored helmet bubble, but overall it’s actually better than I was expecting. This is only a two inch print, so up close the texture is extra apparent. All these surface texture issues will be eliminated eventually anyway…
More pics on my site! Let me know what you guys think so far.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Very nice. I'm not a huge fan of the palette, but paint, in general, goes a long way in bringing the thing to life.

So is the physical design (the sculpt) frozen at this point? Like, are you don't making changes in CAD, or will you be tweaking it further at some point?
MSW
Fantastic work! Shame about the surface texture, but the paint work looks exceptional.
MSW
Fantastic work! Shame about the surface texture, but the paint work looks exceptional.

It's alright, these are all just tests anyway.

Sanjeev, what's wrong with the colors?

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, no big: while I respect the "real type" palettes, this one's just downright depressing. :P

Ultimately, I'd just love to see this guy in a variety of different color schemes.
Very nice work so far. Very encouraging to me as I'm just putting my first Shapeways orders in for some tests. How do you plan to eliminate the surface texture issue down the road, may I ask?

Painted, it reminds me a little of the real type Microman BioSuits.
microbry
Very nice work so far. Very encouraging to me as I'm just putting my first Shapeways orders in for some tests. How do you plan to eliminate the surface texture issue down the road, may I ask?

Painted, it reminds me a little of the real type Microman BioSuits.

Thanks! The Biosuits are awesome, so being compared to them can only be a good thing.

The texture issue goes away because in order to resin cast these, I''ll use a Frosted Ultra Detail print as a master, and that material comes out just about perfect from the machine. Any lingering texture can easily be removed from the master with some fine grit sandpaper before molding.

[prometheusrising.net]
Good to know! I'm first printing some parts right now for Austin Richards' upcoming figure casts (and will attempt to make some WSF replacement hinge pieces for Micropolis-based construction sets--both old and Laser Mego's new ones), but for testing purposes I'm trying WSF and Alumnite first, since FUD is a bit pricier. It sounds like the texture would be an issue on those for molding though. If the prints come out otherwise okay, I'll do FUD next for the castable parts.

The test samples I have so far of other stuff is all WSF or WSF polished. The polished is fantastic in texture, but I am concerned about size reduction, as it definitely impacted some bits of the Glyos jointed parts I printed out from someone else's store.
So, something amazing arrived yesterday.

This is a solid brass print from i.materialise. Wax is 3D printed, and then used to make a lost wax brass casting that is then polished and plated. It's incredible. Too expensive to make a bunch or anything, but an incredible experiment that came out better than I could have imagined.

More pics and words on my site!
[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Incredible! The only thing that concerns me is how the top surfaces of the vents (above the shoulders) seem to sag inwards...unlike the stainless steel and polyamide prints. Well, either way, I just threw down: I ordered the same MUSCLE Gin Gin I just got in steel (shown at the bottom here) from Shapeways in brass from i.m.

Just to put things into perspective, in terms of price, that Gin Gin is $20 in 3D Systems' SLA from Shapeways, $40 in stainless steel from Shapeways, and $103 in brass from i.m.
"Starship Trooper, go sailing on by...catch the light of my eager eye..."

That is glorious. I look forward to trying it out myself someday.

My initial Shapeways results are pretty encouraging. I made a couple of small errors on my models that I'm fixing and will be doing some broader experiments on the second order, but I am quite satisfied with the accuracy of the prints so far.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Whatchu making, Bry?
I know I haven't been around here in a whole, but shit's been buuuuuuuusy. That said, there's still things to show.

I haven't gotten any new models into the computer yet, but the Bounce Tortoise has taken an interesting turn. Even though I've been happy with my prints from both Shapeways and i.materalise, I hate waiting. Instead, I decided it was time to own the means of production, and this is the first trial result.

After being blown away by all of the incredible tech at MakerFaire NYC, I finally took the plunge and purchased an UP! Mini from UP3D USA using a coupon I received at MakerFaire. It showed up yesterday and worked like a charm right out of the box. I'll do a proper blog post about the printer and my experiences so far when I get some time in the near future...

[prometheusrising.net]
BIIIGGG step up Ben! Cool you've got the means and space, to set something up.
I'd love to hear your experience getting the machine and setting up.
You say "out of the box". Does that mean it ships fully assembled and calibrated?
What does the stock material look like?
I would've loved to go to that Maker Fair, in NY. I've been to woodshop and heavy industry machine trade shows, and there is always some really cool demos to see in action.
Sanjeev (Admin)
This is awesome news indeed...can't wait to see how things evolve. How fucking sick would it be if print services became a thing of the past? ;)
That's great. I hope to get a 3D printer in the next year or two and a good friend of mine is in the meantime too. Fun times ahead!

In answer to Sanjeev's question I missed earlier...at the moment, I've got a few things cooking up. Some I can't talk about just yet, but otherwise I'm doing a 3 3/4" size "Sultan" (Baron Karza) head for Austin (Gold Dober) Richards for the shadier counterpart to his Flight Commander figure, a batch of various Micronaut/man missile makeovers, and some other minor Microman and Micronaut replacement bits including the Micropolis hinge connectors and some other stuff I won't go into just yet... (don't want to get hopes up too high before testing stuff!)

Also a new head-missile for my two mini Death Cross falcons, which are both missing them.

Also some initial Glyos-to-5mm (and one 3mm female for reasons that will become clear later) adapters in various forms (male/female, male/male female/female and such) to see how they work out. Just doing groundlaying work on these parts before I move on to more ambitious and crazier stuff. :)

9 hours later, testing of the printer's upper size limit went exceedingly well.

There is clearly a future in larger figures, but there are some obvious model changes that need to happen first. I'll print this guy some arms tomorrow and add him to this weekend's painting queue, and then get working on some 'v2' separate legs with some proper freakin' feet.

[prometheusrising.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2012 11:42PM by Prometheum5.
Oh wow...is that some 1:18 scale I see there? Drool....

The print resolution is looking quite good too. I'll definitely be looking forward to investing in something similar to this or the Formlabs deal once I have some more budget to do so... :)
I could not wait, and spent the weekend getting the big Bounce Tortoise painted up ASAP.

At this scale, I could even paint up the pilot status display in the chest!

Here's the lineup with a couple Micromangs and the Bio-suit kit I built earlier this year. I see the Tortoise as a mid-range infantry suit, so it's a bit smaller than the heavy duty Bio-suit.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think of the finish of the figure. I sanded the biggest ridges first, then used a thick-ish automotive primer to fill in some of the grooves. Then I did a little more sanding, but there's still plenty of texture on the figure, especially around the depressions and detail. More lines could be removed with significantly more work, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. Do the ridges really detract from the finished figure? I'm all about fully painted toys, so I probably wouldn't end up offering any kind of blank or single color prints. The next step is to re-tool most of the model for larger scale printing, since I really like the feel of the figure at this size.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
The first thing that struck me was the interesting look of the print layers on the shoulders, then again on the back. I personally don't think it detracts from the look of the fully-painted figure...BUT I can see how it could for some. I mean, the finished item looks *quality*, straight up and down. The care gone into it is pretty clear, and I just can't see how a potential customer could be disappointed from an artistic or quality control perspective. However, visible print layers are a "reminder", I guess, of how the item was made. Some may see them as unfinished (read: lazy?) aspects of the figure. I don't simply because 3D printing tech is so damn cool to me...but I get the point of view that a finished, highly-rendered product should ideally not betray how it was manufactured, y'knowmsayin?
That's sort of what I was thinking. I think the texture adds to the mechanical areas, and I like the idea of leaving a trace of the figure's origin. Makes it feel more 'mine'. Plus, the texture reminds you that the toy was basically made by magic. Even owning a printer the technology is still completely amazing.

[prometheusrising.net]
I...I'll take it! :D

I've got a kit a friend made at a lower print resolution and I felt the layers detracted from it. I don't see that an issue on this one though. If anything, it gives it a nice "machined metal" look to its surfaces once painted.

I'm pretty excited to see where you take this! It would be cool to see one that could actually sit a figure in it or such, maybe some 5mm compatibility... okay, I'll shut up! XD
Got a big post about the printer:
[prometheusrising.net]

And a big post with studio photos of the 1:18 Bounce Tortoise.
[prometheusrising.net]

[prometheusrising.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer