[SPORTS] Gentlemen, start your bitching...

Posted by Sanjeev 
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey, man, at least Stern didn't, in a totally
> whack and unprecedented move, nullify a done-deal
> trade that would have given your team a shot at
> some titles in the immediate future.

Oh yeah.

Funny how that subject doesn't come up in the sensationalistic, trigger-happy media anymore...

So what's scarier: how utterly corrupt/arbitrary/fucked something like that is...or that no one seems to want to talk about it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2012 04:50PM by Sanjeev.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Oh yeah.
>
> Funny how that subject doesn't come up in the
> sensationalistic, trigger-happy media anymore...
>
> So what's scarier: how utterly
> corrupt/arbitrary/fucked something like that
> is...or that no one seems to want to talk about
> it?

Part of it is that non-Lakers fans (which is a wide segement of the population) don't give a shit and were probably schadenfreuding off of the whole thing, laughing the whole time. But even non-Lakers fans should care because this kind of interference from the top really is not good. It doesn't make financial sense to cripple one of the league's most marketable teams, first of all, so if Stern was bowing to pressure from Dan Gilbert and Mark Cuban to make like he's being 'fair,' that's completely illogical, too. There was never anything fair about the league to begin with. One person shouldn't decide the way power shifts in the league.

And 'Jeev, if you think the sports-entertainment industry is messed up, consider college sports and how that actually impacts education and the opportunities for kids out there. It's only furthering the corporatization of higher education. Thank god our school doesn't have a football team.

Oh, yeah, superhero toys. I'm undecided at the moment. I saw "the Bat" (the flying vehicle from Dark Knight Rises) and was interested at first--until I noticed the stoopid handle on top and the ridiculous propellers on the bottom. Seriously? Then I looked at the actual figures. They are some of the ugliest figures, from a design perspective, I've seen in a while. Besides the bootleg Joe-styled military figures, what other decent action figure still employs those kinds of hip joints?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2012 03:49PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
'Bout time we stopped polluting everyone else's threads and started one just for ogling sweaty, silly-dressed men. [Sorry, Chieh, you're gonna have to repost your thoughts on "the Bat" in the superhero toy thread.]

gingaio Wrote:
> Part of it is that non-Lakers fans (which is a
> wide segement of the population) don't give a shit
> and were probably schadenfreuding off of the whole
> thing, laughing the whole time.

I'm part of that segment, as are the vast majority of my cohorts...but we weren't laughing at all. It was more like "damn, that's fucked up"...followed by silence where we were privately thanking our various gods.

> But even
> non-Lakers fans should care because this kind of
> interference from the top really is not good.

Agreed--and "really is not good" is putting it pretty fucking mildly--but I don't agree for the reasons you stated. It DOES make financial sense for Stern to put the kibosh on the Paul deal: such a deal would help the LA market tremendously, but people across the nation would avoid watching those inevitable playoff blow-outs in droves. Over-powered, "superstar"-heavy teams most often only help the *local* franchise...while garnering hate from everyone else.

Oh, and I can imagine the madness that is college sports. I don't follow any, but it's not exactly tough to imagine...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Agreed--and "really is not good" is putting it
> pretty fucking mildly--but I don't agree for the
> reasons you stated. It DOES make financial sense
> for Stern to put the kibosh on the Paul deal: such
> a deal would help the LA market tremendously, but
> people across the nation would avoid watching
> those inevitable playoff blow-outs in droves.
> Over-powered, "superstar"-heavy teams most often
> only help the *local* franchise...while garnering
> hate from everyone else.
>
The ratings for Spurs/OKC were really good (which may support your point), though I haven't seen enough trending data to show one way or the other whether having big- or small-market teams in the playoffs is a good thing.

What is a bad thing, certainly, is a total mismatch of a series resulting in a blowout. The best thing for the league, I would assume, would be a hotly contested series between established teams--like that recent glorious Lakers/Celtics finals ;).

One thing we can't discount is the fact that teams like the Lakers, Bulls, and Celtics have national, and in some cases, international followings (the NBA has a greater reach than a lot of other leagues), so there's always going to be a built-in interest in those teams that isn't there with an upstart.

> Oh, and I can imagine the madness that is college
> sports. I don't follow any, but it's not exactly
> tough to imagine...

Yeah, the thing with college sports is that like the professional leagues, there's a split between the powerhouse franchises and the non. But the split opens into a crapload of ethical/economic issues: "These [non-powerhouse] schools are the real financial crisis in college sports. They're taking resources from academics to pay for football, and the taxpayer is often getting stuck with the bill."

[www.theatlantic.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2012 07:37PM by gingaio.
IMHO:

College athletics are a c r o c k! At one time they may have been something better than what they have devolved into, that being one of the financial boosting cornerstones for the alumni association.

I went to an NCAA school, and administered tests for athletes when they returned from a week on "the road", where they were given a ten question (either all true or all false) test to cover material which the rank and file were measured through a five page fifty multiple choice question exam.

Giving away "Communications" degrees to the few kids who actually can finish a program, with no educational foundation to base the award on, just sets the student-athlete up for failure and derision on the outside.

Hey, maybe five or ten kids out of the entire system might make the big leagues every year, often without completing school, but that in no way justifies the illegitimacy of the current system and the rampant victimzation and lowering of integrity of higher education as a whole.

I also have an opinion on the "pop vs soda" debate if that comes into play.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, looks like the old guard is out. Make room for the young'uns. Guess I just became an Oklahoma fan. Funny how that works!

Anyway, in the NBA, I think it's more complicated than just big-market teams and small-market teams in the Finals. Viewers hate blow-outs, obviously, but when it comes to truly "hated" teams (usually the over-powered superstar-heavy ones), people either tune right out...or watch in the hopes of seeing them lose. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how this years Finals do (I predict very well because people hate Lebron, love Kevin, and want to see a repeat of last year's Heat loss).

All comments about college sports make sense. Definitely in-line with what I understood about the industry. Pretty fucked...
It's interesting...I have no horse in this race (Bucks, playoffs? Right.), but it's interesting seeing the vitriol normally reserved for the Lakers being directed at OKC, here in Seattle. OKC's current team is basically the team that left Seattle. If I was a Sonics fan, I'd probably be pissed, too.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
No attachment to the Sonics, but I thought it was pretty messed up when the team left. It had some good runs back in the day, and the line-up with Kemp, Payton, and Schrempf was fun to watch. I felt bad for the fans and I totally understand their rooting against OKC.
Was just wondering, when the Jordan Bulls were whistling the Globetrotter theme song up and down the court for the good part of the 90's when they dominated as they did, were they "hated" across the league, or was Jordan an exception where you didn't mind losing to poetry in motion/a living legend?
Not with the people I knew. We hated them when they beat the Lakers in the Finals, but otherwise, there was admiration for the monster that was that team.

That's why we can't really generalize about hate/love for certain powerhouse teams/players, because I'm sure there were lots of Lakers fans who hated Jordan's Bulls, too. Bottom line is that someone like LeBoner, as hated as he seemingly is, still generates a lot revenue/attention outside of basketball, and it's his presence outside of the NBA (along with the presence of other hyped personalities) that brings attention to the league.

The hardcore NBA fans are going to watch the playoffs regardless. It's the fair-weather fans and the ones who don't really know basketball that the NBA/Stern is probably working hard to draw in and retain, and that's based in part on marketable personalities like LeBoner.
I've always hated them, but I'm a bit biased being from Milwaukee; I despise pretty much everything from Chicago. ;)

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
C'mon hillsy...Chicago deep dish is a thing of beauty!

Anyway, as odd as it sounds, in the early 90's, I was a big Knicks fan...simply because I wanted to see Ewing get a ring. But time and time again, Jordan and the Bulls prevented that. So in that sense, I hated Jordan...but it was out of obligation. He WAS magnificent. And even though he could get dickish on the court, I never really developed any animosity towards his personality.

Lebumblefuck, on the other hand, used to drive me fucking bonkers. His post-game interviews (back in Cleveland) utterly blew my mind. It's not that he's not an amazing player--it's just that completely out-of-touch with reality bit that makes me want to strangle him. And then of course...The Decision.

Never saw such fucking brain dead idiocy coming outta Jordan. Not even when he tried to play baseball.
Tha's why I said "pretty much everything"....foodstuffs get a pass. ;)

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
The NBA's rigged.

But anyway, I LOLed at this:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2012 11:28AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - tumblr_m4umyik6gl1rxrl6jo1_400.jpg (35.3 KB)
Somebody forgot to put Laimbeer on the team, you'd still need a guy who get into the heads of the other team and drive them bonkers!
Sanjeev (Admin)
He never fouled, y'know...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer