[COMICS][PREORDERS] Is this what's happening to our toys?

Posted by asterphage 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Dougram's Desert Gunner is one of my all-time favorite mecha (even back in the Revell "Robotech" model era). What does that say about me?

you're secretly a shady Mexican mercenary named Garcia?
Sanjeev (Admin)
I do love a good cigar...
I think it says you like spiders.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, but a syringe is not really all that scary
> compared to its weird anonymous prongs and
> protrusions. What the hell are those things for?!

I always thought those bits were speculums...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Dougram's Desert Gunner is one of my all-time
> favorite mecha (even back in the Revell "Robotech"
> model era). What does that say about me?
>
> [farm5.staticflickr.com]
> cccd96_z.jpg

It says your alien hive mind is programmed to detect the form of your fellow insects in any six legged frosted tanks you see.

Aside from being wildly impractical, it's a novel design. I've always liked it, too. I could see it and the Macross Defender sharing cocktails at a Robot Holiday Party while casting furitive glances at the sexy Phalanx who showed up drunk and without her husband.
Sora no Woto has this spider tank in it
Attachments:
open | download - soranospidertank.jpg (61.2 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush Wrote:
> It says your alien hive mind is programmed to
> detect the form of your fellow insects in any six
> legged frosted tanks you see.

Mmmm...Frosted Tanks. If only...too much refined sugar.

VF5SS Wrote:
> Sora no Woto has this spider tank in it

Love it! I'm also partial to the Type 98 from Patlabor 2:

So...are spider tanks really that impractical?? They seem like the most practical form of hard scifi mecha I can think of...
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> I always thought those bits were speculums...

THANKS A LOT. Now Star Wars will be gross forever.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Spider-tanks have a distinctly different appeal than humanoid mecha. In most cases, they're mere vehicles - they're not a "character" any more than a treaded tank is, or an airplane. The only standout case I can think of where spider-tanks are characters is Stand Alone Complex, in which they're not "heroes". Despite their time in the spotlight and impressive deeds, they're still portrayed more like a sidekick, a child, a pet than like a heroic main character. In contrast, humanoid robots, even giant, piloted ones, generally have that heroic, anthropomorphic slant to their portrayal. It's hard to get away from the idea of cool giant robots behaving like cool giant humans. Spider-tanks never get the hero's role because they can't do that.

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev Wrote:
> So...are spider tanks really that impractical??
> They seem like the most practical form of hard
> scifi mecha I can think of...

Should we count Kaneda's bike? Or the various ships in 2001?

The tank from Aliens was fairly realistic. And, as much as it pains me to say this, so was the power loader - but only as an exaggerated forklift.

asterphage Wrote:
> Spider-tanks have a distinctly different appeal
> than humanoid mecha. In most cases, they're mere
> vehicles - they're not a "character" any more than
> a treaded tank is, or an airplane.
> It's hard to get away from the
> idea of cool giant robots behaving like cool giant
> humans. Spider-tanks never get the hero's role
> because they can't do that.

Paul is absolutely right.

Hey, here's one that just occurred to me. Do you know how impossibly difficult it would be to program a terminator to kill people and not indiscriminately attack everything around it, let alone even specific people? Imagine teaching that type of machine to differentiate between objects, animals, mannequins, dead people, and living people. And then how to identify people standing behind objects, people in costumes, people dressed like animals, people with paper bags on their heads, people inside objects, people behind thermal blankets... And on and on and on. Hell, a little funky dada is enough to fool facial recognition software. So I'm pretty sure that dressing like Lady Gaga would be enough to put you in god-mode during the robot uprising.
Sanjeev (Admin)
When my spider-alien brethren march, you two will be the first to di--oh wait...
Gcrush Wrote:
<snip>
> Hey, here's one that just occurred to me. Do you
> know how impossibly difficult it would be to
> program a terminator to kill people and not
> indiscriminately attack everything around it, let
> alone even specific people? Imagine teaching that
> type of machine to differentiate between objects,
> animals, mannequins, dead people, and living
> people. And then how to identify people standing
> behind objects, people in costumes, people dressed
> like animals, people with paper bags on their
> heads, people inside objects, people behind
> thermal blankets... And on and on and on. Hell,
> a little funky dada is enough to fool facial
> recognition software. So I'm pretty sure that
> dressing like Lady Gaga would be enough to put you
> in god-mode during the robot uprising.

A lot of biometric identification systems also have a truly horrible false positive rate, which is usually conveniently ignored by law enforcement and other military personel (well, untill they manage to kill <insert well known person here>).

You just don't want a situation like "Hey, let's use our KillBots(tm) to hunt down the terrorists that planted those bombs" and when the day is over half of the terrorists are still at large and half of the citizens of local town are dead or dying.
On the other hand, the terrorists might just be very willing to buy your KillBot(tm), so you can always try to frame the dumber ones by offering FakeKillBots for sale.
link via VF5SS:
[www.macrossworld.com]
so is Bandai just playin' us with artificial scarcity? or are they really having production problems?

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
Ouch.
Well, we don't have all the data, really.

Could it be that the retailer didn't meet whatever unrealistic order criteria ("Buy this crap you know you can't sell if you want the good stuff!!") they set to assure 100% order fulfillment? Could it be Bandai made a mistake in solicitation resulting in a pile of late orders after they already set production? Could it be that some of their bigger customers upped their orders and Bandai just said "too bad, suckers" to the smaller customers?

I have heard that sometimes, for some stupid reason, Bandai will underproduce and then play catchup a couple of months later. Might be this retailer has a very tight 'open to buy' cycle and can't afford to wait for resupply.
SteveH Wrote:
>
> I have heard that sometimes, for some stupid
> reason, Bandai will underproduce and then play
> catchup a couple of months later.

This is the repro. The original release was almost a year ago.

On the other hand, I hear that Bandai has finally reached the point where the Tiger & Bunny Figuarts are readily available in many places. So that's pretty sweet.

-Paul Segal

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer