Noboru Ishiguro passes away at age 73

Posted by VF5SS 
[www.animenewsnetwork.com]

he was not stung to death by bees, Paul

He's crossing that bridge of light ( ;w;)7
MattAlt (Admin)
Yeah. Sad news.
I was just about to post this, but yes sad news indeed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Just...SHIT. Ya know? I just want to scream and punch something and cry and stuff.

So, OK, big deal, just an old Japanese dude I've never met, so what. fuck that. FUCK THAT SHIT. He worked on so many things I enjoy, even things I don't enjoy but the skill was there. And the world is a little darker and a little smaller and a little more dumb for his passing.

Dammit all.
Jeez if that happened each time some cool guy died, the human race would be pretty pants on head retarded by this point.
VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jeez if that happened each time some cool guy
> died, the human race would be pretty pants on head
> retarded by this point.

Too many replies come to mind.
I know what you're saying is just some nerdy shit, but honestly it's like you wished that doctors still operated with scalpels and sewed your patients up with catgut like their great-great-great-great-grandfathers used to
Well, I'm going to go ahead and jam both feet in my mouth in advance because what I'm angry about is, I'll wager Ishiguro died from something treatable by an operation, something simple by American standards that's handled on a regular basis and has a high success rate, but in Japan, for reasons that make no sense to Westerners, Japanese just don't have these things done.

I'm sure it's tied to Shinto and a desire to keep the body pure by not cutting things out, the whole cultural issue of no longer being human if something is missing, and this is where Matt calls me a buffoon for thinking this, but it's so frustrating.

(see also Cyborg 009, Kamen Rider, even in Gen of Hiroshima, and likely tons of other manga and anime)

rage!
In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?
MattAlt (Admin)
It'd be less frustrating if you realized that you're living in some odd fantasy of Japan you seem to have constructed in your mind.
A thousand Roman Albums isn't worth a single robot series~
Uhm the dude was 73. I love his work. But he was really old. He lived a good long and very productive life. He leaves behind an awesome legacy. But he was also really fucking old. You can have someone swim in antibiotics and die anyway at 73.

Anyway, I hope that he went out without too much pain and my thoughts are with his family and the badass cartoons he made.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2012 06:10PM by Ginrai.
MattAlt (Admin)
He had plans to travel abroad and be the guest of honor at an American convention, so I gather this was sudden/unexpected. Very sad in any event.
[www.mangauk.com]

" However, he also has many followers of his work, as evinced by his last days in a Kawasaki hospital. Remaining spry and good-humoured to the very last, Ishiguro was a hit with the nurses, who refused to give him a standard name-tag like the other patients. Instead, he was identified with two cartoon images: Mikan the cat, and Lynn Minmei, from Super Dimensional Fortress Macross."

It appears he passed away with a smile.
MattAlt (Admin)
Thanks for the link!
73 is not "really old". For a first world country, 73 should be simply "old", not "really old". "Really old" is when you approach or pass 3 digits, these days.

If you've ever met or heard Ishiguro tell stories, you'll know just how profound a loss this is. Like the tale of when he had Artland donate animation desks to that one studio that burnt down, or the story of trying to teach realistic space physics to animators on Yamato so the explosions would look right, or him good-naturedly heckling the Studio Nue guys during their own panel. He was one of the most amazing and likable industry people I've ever met.

It's a shame Artland had seen better days by now. Tytania, his last series, didn't really live up to his or their reputation, in my most humble opinion, as much as I'd wish I could say otherwise.
Oh give me a break. There is no way you are going to convince me 73 is young. #firstworldproblems

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
MattAlt (Admin)
Spoken like a true young guy!
I have to guess that Gin is right around thirty, or even younger. When you cross the rubicon of forty, tell me how OLD 70 sounds. That's when my RETIREMENT is likely to start, not looking forward to wiffing out right after the stroke of seven on the big clock of life.
SteveH Wrote:
> Well, I'm going to go ahead and jam both feet in
> my mouth in advance because what I'm angry about
> is, I'll wager Ishiguro died from something
> treatable by an operation, something simple by
> American standards that's handled on a regular
> basis and has a high success rate, but in Japan,
> for reasons that make no sense to Westerners,
> Japanese just don't have these things done.
>
> I'm sure it's tied to Shinto and a desire to keep
> the body pure by not cutting things out, the whole
> cultural issue of no longer being human if
> something is missing, and this is where Matt calls
> me a buffoon for thinking this, but it's so
> frustrating.
>
> (see also Cyborg 009, Kamen Rider, even in Gen of
> Hiroshima, and likely tons of other manga and
> anime)
>
> rage!

I'm impressed at how succinctly you managed to display your racism and ignorance. Bravo.

This is a real shame. Always too bad when someone so talented passes.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
You are accurate, but a friend of mine died at 17. Another friend died at 24. This man died at 73. It is very sad and he will be missed, but it's not like "young man struck down in his prime by the crooked Japanese culture!" is a remotely accurate interpretation of Ishiguro's death.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 01:58PM by Ginrai.
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> SteveH Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well, I'm going to go ahead and jam both feet
> in
> > my mouth in advance because what I'm angry
> about
> > is, I'll wager Ishiguro died from something
> > treatable by an operation, something simple by
> > American standards that's handled on a regular
> > basis and has a high success rate, but in
> Japan,
> > for reasons that make no sense to Westerners,
> > Japanese just don't have these things done.
> >
> > I'm sure it's tied to Shinto and a desire to
> keep
> > the body pure by not cutting things out, the
> whole
> > cultural issue of no longer being human if
> > something is missing, and this is where Matt
> calls
> > me a buffoon for thinking this, but it's so
> > frustrating.
> >
> > (see also Cyborg 009, Kamen Rider, even in Gen
> of
> > Hiroshima, and likely tons of other manga and
> > anime)
> >
> > rage!
>
>
> I'm impressed at how succinctly you managed to
> display your racism and ignorance. Bravo.
>
>
> This is a real shame. Always too bad when someone
> so talented passes.

I'm not sure how that's racist, as how else does one discuss something observed about a people/culture? Granted, maybe it's a carryover from those born during or just after the war, I don't know, but Ishinomori managed to make a living trading on the 'body horror' of missing parts=inhuman and no longer fit to live in normal society in much of his work.

Good lord, just read Cyborg 009! Kidnapped, changed, they generally figure that they're 'out of the gene pool' and are doomed to die, so fight the evil that changed them as long as they can. They are outside of society's rules so they can act in ways most can't (akin to the ronin of chambara films).

So translate that to what I've observed over the long years. Many times I see obits list the illness that is credited with killing people and usually it's something that here in the U.S. is something commonly detected and an operation cures it.

Of course there's the other side where something kills a person and you just wonder how that happened, like pneumonia taking out both Stanly Kubrick and Jim Henson, and the heart attack that took my best friend.

ah well, believe what you will.
Eh, bad shit happens to people unexpectedly all the time. Stuff that you think ought not to happen in today's world and in a modern technically able society. Still, the shit happens. 73 sounds like a pretty decently long time to live to me.

More serious than thou
(Note: I think I misremembered the fire story, and it was Artland that had the fire, actually, with Ishiguro finding help donated from other studios. Doh. Someone please feel free to set me straight on that one.)

Hey, I never said he "wasn't old", I actually said he *was* old. I just don't think early 70's is "*REALLY* old" (and I even stated "for a first world country", sheesh), that's all. Really old implies that one has lived well past normal expectations. Ishiguro lived to a decent age, sure he was no spring chicken anymore, but not an age yet that can be considered long-yeared yet either.

Anyway, I was more put out though by some of the tone in this thread. I mean seriously, this guy was one of the greats, arguably one of the greatest in the industry, and deserves better than that, whether you thought he was getting on in his years or not.
I'm seriously not harping on Ginrai for making the comment "but he was really old", just making the point that relativism does play a great part in who or what seems old or dated.

I knew a kid who died at 17 in high school, another in his mid-20's, my uncle at 42, father at 50, etc. The I can point to a guy I know who is 93, very vibrant, and even still has his pilot's license!

73 isn't a bad age to make it to, especially given the success he enjoyed in the industry, but he seemed to have plans that extended outward and it's always a shame when we run out of time in that context.

I remember back in the late 80's when Markalan Joplin died, he was a writer on Robotech and Star Blazers comics, think he died around the age of 32. I guess that you never know how much time you have, which is the point in the end.
SteveH Wrote:

> ah well, believe what you will.

thank you for fucking up this thread with the same bullshit speculation that you use to argue japanese robot toys

and now it's all ageism bullshit

sheesh
Sanjeev (Admin)
SteveH Wrote:
> I'm not sure how that's racist...

Watch this.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> SteveH Wrote:
> -----
> > I'm not sure how that's racist...
>
> Watch this.

Yes indeed, I see clear racism in action there. A room filled with what seems to be 98% white folks being lectured to by an African woman from what sure sounds like a privileged family about the danger of the single story. I've sure they all felt very proud they were part of that event and how open minded they all were, then they all went to the after party and praised each other for how much they've learned as they graze at the buffet where more food will be thrown away after than many families just a half mile away even see in a month.

Oh, sorry, did I miss the point?
As I keep saying repeatedly, Ishiguro Noboru was amazing and made so many things I love. Can we please leave out the weird conspiracy theories? His fantastic work will be missed. Let's all go watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes in his honor!
The point is

there is no reason for you to assume that Ishiguro died of a treatable illness or there was some reason for his death outside of natural causes just because he's Japanese.

I know you like to broadly generalize about everything you have some nugget of knowledge about whether it is appropriate or not.

What is even the point of bringing this up?

Like yeah freedom of speech on the internets whatevs

but seriously

stop it

he's dead and all you can do is be the same dirt digging jackass

stop already

sheesh
SteveH Wrote:
>
> I'm not sure how that's racist, as how else does
> one discuss something observed about a
> people/culture?

Lol I dunno, by GETTING IT RIGHT?

Are you seriously citing themes in anime and manga and your own random sampling of obituaries of famous Japanese people as evidence that Japan's shinto heritage prevents them from using surgery to treat illness? That's not really meeting empirical standards. The only way the information you cited justifies your claims about Japanese attitudes towards medicine is via absurd cultural stereotyping.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 02:34PM by asterphage.
Never mind that Japan has one of the highest life expectancies of the world: [en.wikipedia.org].

Although one could make the argument that Noboru Ishiguro died about a decade too early...

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
I think that my be a conspicous part of the argument that he "died too early" given the average expectancy of the Japanese people. Not much to be done about it at this point though.

It always amazes me how threads evolve into something so separate in intent than the original poster proffered, but have equal validity in the value of the ensuing discussion.

Whitney Houston dies, YOUNG, and the conversation immediately focuses on the "from what" aspect. Turns out it was due, in part, to cardiological complications resulting from years of cocaine (crack? Thanks Bobby!) use. It doesn't take anything away from the value of the work she left behind, it's just a shame, that's all.
Supersentai Wrote:
> I think that my be a conspicous part of the
> argument that he "died too early" given the
> average expectancy of the Japanese people. Not
> much to be done about it at this point though.
>
> It always amazes me how threads evolve into
> something so separate in intent than the original
> poster proffered, but have equal validity in the
> value of the ensuing discussion.
>
> Whitney Houston dies, YOUNG, and the conversation
> immediately focuses on the "from what" aspect.
> Turns out it was due, in part, to cardiological
> complications resulting from years of cocaine
> (crack? Thanks Bobby!) use. It doesn't take
> anything away from the value of the work she left
> behind, it's just a shame, that's all.

Well, either Houston or Ishiguro, the work survives. We can celebrate that forever.

I haven't read just what Ishiguro died from, it doesn't seem he was in declining health all things considered.

I think the different focus on Houston's passing is both a function of her fame and youth. It's its own stereotype, the roller coaster of fame, abuse, self image issues and being surrounded by hangers-on who are naught but enablers who would never say "no' lest the ride they were on ends. See also any famous type who has ever died. My amazement continues that Charlie Sheen isn't dead yet.
[en.wikipedia.org]

"Ishiguro Noboru died on 20 March 2012 in Kawasaki City Hospital. He died of a lung infection which was the result of a followup surgery procedure to the aneurysm surgery he underwent two years prior.[1][2]"

and this is why you're a huge dick, Steve
VF5SS Wrote:
> SteveH Wrote:
> -----
>
> > ah well, believe what you will.
>
>
> thank you for fucking up this thread with the same
> bullshit speculation that you use to argue
> japanese robot toys
>
> and now it's all ageism bullshit
>
> sheesh

The Suncoast shell-game killed Noboru Ishiguro.

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army
josh fraser (Moderator)
Very sad news indeed. A great loss for sure.

Interesting twist this thread has taken though. Just a parting thought Steve.

I am 37, and have been type 1 diabetic since age 5. I have lived a fairly decent life, but like anyone with a chronic condition can only hope for a longish "normal" length life. This is relative of course. But 73 is neither "really old" or "really young" It is an average...perhaps low for Japan in general, but he also did not go out in the horrible way Mitsuteru Yokoyama did at 69, by being burned alive in his own bed from smoking.

Why I am bringing this unfortunate event up, is despite what anyone does, what technology and medicine is available, people die regardless. I have been rushed to hospitals in Japan, and to be quite frank, it was one the the best experiences of my life. I am in Vietnam right now as I type this at 5am. My last trip I was rushed for the same health issue I was back in 2002 in Tokyo...and the experience was the same. This surprised the hell out of me... as I had visions of Vietnam health care based on my knowledge from popular media, and the sights and sounds of the surrounding city, which I must say I frequent 4 times a year for weeks at a time. I got it wrong..I would rather be sick here in a "third world" country that back in Boston, which as I say it, sounds crazy, but it is true.

Anway, I am rambling... but 10 years apart , one in a first world nation, one in one, growing slowly to get there. Both foreign cultures I had preconceived ideas about from the comfort of my home.

My point is, until you have experiences to justify your claims of understanding a culture, it is hard to simply make statements about them, if your only measuring device is filtered through selective elements. Sanjeev's video, (though long) did bring up a few interesting points. We are all susceptible to this filtration based on what we have been presented and have access too.

I certainly learned two things from this. One is don't assume anything, and I would be happy with the way my health is to make it to 73.

;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 06:25PM by josh fraser.
It's a true testament to the diversity of our species that at the same time you can have the parents of a child who refuse to provide proven treatments on the basis of thier faith, while you have parents who are unable to obtain long-proven dependable drugs for thier children (for example, the current lukemia drug shortage) based upon the games played by pharmaceutical companies.

Go figure.
VF5SS Wrote:
> [en.wikipedia.org]
>
> "Ishiguro Noboru died on 20 March 2012 in Kawasaki
> City Hospital. He died of a lung infection which
> was the result of a followup surgery procedure to
> the aneurysm surgery he underwent two years
> prior.[1][2]"
>
>
> and this is why you're a huge dick, Steve

Is THAT why? I thought it was genetics, because men in my family tend to..

Oh, you mean 'dick' as in 'jerk'.

When was that written? It wasn't information listed in any of the notices on the different anime news sites, nor was it referenced by any of the posts to various mailing lists I'm on.

Hence the danger of being an 'internet expert', right? Reality is only as real as your internet searching.
josh fraser Wrote:
> Very sad news indeed. A great loss for sure.
>
>
> Interesting twist this thread has taken though.
> Just a parting thought Steve.
>
> I am 37, and have been type 1 diabetic since age
> 5. I have lived a fairly decent life, but like
> anyone with a chronic condition can only hope for
> a longish "normal" length life. This is relative
> of course. But 73 is neither "really old" or
> "really young" It is an average...perhaps low for
> Japan in general, but he also did not go out in
> the horrible way Mitsuteru Yokoyama did at 69, by
> being burned alive in his own bed from smoking.
>
> Why I am bringing this unfortunate event up, is
> despite what anyone does, what technology and
> medicine is available, people die regardless. I
> have been rushed to hospitals in Japan, and to be
> quite frank, it was one the the best experiences
> of my life. I am in Vietnam right now as I type
> this at 5am. My last trip I was rushed for the
> same health issue I was back in 2002 in
> Tokyo...and the experience was the same. This
> surprised the hell out of me... as I had visions
> of Vietnam health care based on my knowledge from
> popular media, and the sights and sounds of the
> surrounding city, which I must say I frequent 4
> times a year for weeks at a time. I got it
> wrong..I would rather be sick here in a "third
> world" country that back in Boston, which as I say
> it, sounds crazy, but it is true.
>
> Anway, I am rambling... but 10 years apart , one
> in a first world nation, one in one, growing
> slowly to get there. Both foreign cultures I had
> preconceived ideas about from the comfort of my
> home.
>
>
> My point is, until you have experiences to justify
> your claims of understanding a culture, it is hard
> to simply make statements about them, if your only
> measuring device is filtered through selective
> elements. Sanjeev's video, (though long) did bring
> up a few interesting points. We are all
> susceptible to this filtration based on what we
> have been presented and have access too.
>
> I certainly learned two things from this. One is
> don't assume anything, and I would be happy with
> the way my health is to make it to 73.
>
>
> ;-)

Well, I'm glad you're still well and that when you had your issue while in Vietnam you were able to get proper care. I will make the assumption, however, you were in a major city, and I'm sure that makes some difference, just as it would here in the U.S.

Me, I'm not so keen on health care here because it seems that while many things have made huge improvements, other, surprising things seem almost backwards. My Stepdad died last year from pneumonia caught in the hospital, but they listed cause of death as the cancer he was undergoing treatment for. I caught a very nasty bronchitis at the same time and had a close call, given my weakened immune system.

He was supposed to have had a shot that got forgotten. he died unable to breathe, which is pretty horrible. No real effort was made past palliative care because he was written off. I mean, he had cancer, was probably only going to live a year or so more, why bother, I guess. Much as I disliked the man, I'm still angry over this happening to him.

But, that's my experience. He was in his '80s. He likely expected to have been dead years ago.

I look at much more than popular culture, it's just that it's more easy for others to tap into that so I don't have to 'writ more' as some attempt to belittle me for doing. Like now. :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer