Yamato 2199

Posted by VF5SS 
[mecha-guy.blogspot.com]

Vanilla and Suigintou are part of the cast

and Yuki isn't the only girl this time

yay
Sadly, the dread specter of MOE has been introduced. I can handle most of it, I mean, two formerly male characters are now hot chicks, but the nurse, the nurse...

There's really no reason to modify the new uniform to be more a fetish-tastic design to pander to the hugpillow crowd, was there?

And the twin-ponytail girl? She's psychic. She can see invisible things.

man. first time this project bummed me out. I just have to hope it all works out.
[www.youtube.com]

i learned it from watching you



ignoring the fact that these girls have their magic animu ages set above 16, does adding pink and a little zettai ryouki incite the burning moe passion more so than the classic skintight jumpsuit that leaves nothing to the imagination?

Maybe they should have more modest female uniforms for our modern enlightened times. 'Course that would probably make the diehards mad that they changed something from the source material ( ^w^);



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 09:21AM by VF5SS.
Sanjeev (Admin)
SteveH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sadly, the dread specter of MOE has been
> introduced...

Really? I don't quite see it. The show could very well turn out to be a pile of shit for a variety of reasons (moe-related or not), but I don't really see the moe influence here.

The new Battlestar Galactica turned several dudes into attractive women. I mean, the nearly-all-male cast was always mad dumb. But unlike BSG, Yamato was always a dumb space opera for young nerds. Apparently, that hasn't changed. It's just a new (read: different) generation of young nerds.
VF5SS Wrote:
>
> ignoring the fact that these girls have their
> magic animu ages set above 16, does adding pink
> and a little zettai ryouki incite the burning moe
> passion more so than the classic skintight
> jumpsuit that leaves nothing to the imagination?

nope it's because THREE of them have hair antennae

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
AHOGE
I have sophisticated equipment and training to detect moe and this doesn't register on my sensors at all. The ship looks CG though so this will quite definitely be a horrible terrible bad or a terrible horrible bad, one or the other.

--------------------------
I want YOU for Moé Sucks Army



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 05:34PM by Scopedog.
THE KING HAS SPOKEN
I was born a God and made myself a king which means I downgraded to a human being.

--------------------------
I want YOU for Moé Sucks Army
No man can be your E-QUAL!
I mean I guess the new uniforms are more plugsuit-esque with more lines and visible invisible bra support cups

but whatever

pick another nationalistic power fantasy to enjoy

I only watch the first two Yamato movies so I don't really recall the people who these girls are replacing

did they do anything special?

and hey if the new Kodai gets popular he'll get a hug pillow just like Tiger and Bunny and Akagi
>Sadly, the dread specter of MOE has been introduced. I can handle most of it, I >mean, two formerly male characters are now hot chicks, but the nurse, the nurse...

>There's really no reason to modify the new uniform to be more a fetish-tastic >design to pander to the hugpillow crowd, was there?

There's THAT word again, pander. I'd be a billionaire for every damn time someone in the western fanbase uses that word to describe something that isn't pleasing to their specific tastes.

It's not pandering, it's just the character design aesthetics of now.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Vincent Z. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
<snip>
> There's THAT word again, pander. I'd be a
> billionaire for every damn time someone in the
> western fanbase uses that word to describe
> something that isn't pleasing to their specific
> tastes.
>
> It's not pandering, it's just the character design
> aesthetics of now.

Yeah, that will explain why there are still many series that don't feature that kind of character design...</sarcasm>

Also, I fail to understand why it would only be the Western fanbase that complains about this, considering what Matt writes about the subject now an then.
Yeah but what's MOE about this? A nurse who wears pink and has thigh highs? Skin tight outfits and uncomfortable undertones of misogyny were already part of the basic franchise :3

I guess my question is, where's the threshold between pandering and doing what was done before?

I trust Izubuchi as a director not to deviate too far from the formula into shameless exploitation. He'd rather have pornographically drawn scenes of guns being oiled to perfection.
Pandering is when you do something because you can, regardless if you should.

Let's see. The smart but quiet one. The hard charging fighter. The one who tries SO HARD but makes mistakes and is so very clumsy but has a good heart, and the young but level headed gal.

three antenna bangs, one twin-ponytail, one half-rim glasses.

And everyone says "what MOE?" huh? OK.

Look, there is a calm, reasoned explanation for my objection over and above my fear of the pandering aspect.

It's established that the Yamato crew uniform can serve as a pressure suit. Adding a helmet and gloves, and long top boots for the men, quickly protects the crew member from pressure loss or other issues. Medics often are called upon to move quickly into dangerous situations to save lives.

So what does this nurse do? She can't just clamp on a helmet and slip on some gloves. She's seemingly the ONLY crew member that has this potential problem. Sanada's girl could easily been given the same kind of outfit but they didn't do that, did they? Yuki doesn't wear mock thigh-highs either.

"Well, well, you naysayer, Mr. Negative you. Maybe that's transparent fabric! Maybe she IS sealed up. What about that, huh?"

So, she's wearing a transparent skintight pressure suit from the thigh to the waist (assumed) because she likes to flash her panties? Yeah, that's REAL Yamato, that is.
are you serious

like really

You're objecting to anime girl design styles that have existed for a good long time

you know I can break down character descriptions into moe-tastic bite sized bits too

I think anyone can when it comes to these SF shows.

So your calm, reasoned explanation is pedantic nerdy nitpicking based on something they can easily change? She's wearing shorts it looks like

and if they want, she can wear a real space suits like a big girl because they can do whatever the fuck they want. it's fiction.

let's talk about Yuki though

so aside from that video of panty shots and molestation I posted

I mean really guy

(incoming SEXAY PIC)



Was there any reason for this? ps sexy shoes added for sexy time~


also that guy drew sexy fanart of Canary from Dougram


Ben and I know how sexy Dougram is

especially when the reporter asks Daisy to strip for him

it's ok though, she keeps her moe purity because the guy was just trying to prove a point








What the hell, Mr Wizard? You're in way too old of a show for this shit.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
poor Daisy suffers just to find Crinn

she tries so hard enough though she is a frail girl from Earth

it makes you want to protect her

and then Rita joins the cast and Shigeru Chiba's character really wants to bone her

oh that Dougram

Honestly at this point it time you don't need a character design to incite the burning lust

May Greenfield from Armored Core For Answer literally has no character design whatsoever but the fact that she's a female who pilots a robot and has dialog makes her the subject of tons of fanart as a green-haired titty monster
SteveH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pandering is when you do something because you
> can, regardless if you should.
>
> Let's see. The smart but quiet one. The hard
> charging fighter. The one who tries SO HARD but
> makes mistakes and is so very clumsy but has a
> good heart, and the young but level headed gal.
>
> three antenna bangs, one twin-ponytail, one
> half-rim glasses.
>
> And everyone says "what MOE?" huh? OK.
>
> Look, there is a calm, reasoned explanation for my
> objection over and above my fear of the pandering
> aspect.
> <snip>

Let's have a look at the guys:

- Fat, nice guy who drinks a lot of sake in a position where alcohol poisoning could be dangerous to others
- Cool looking rough & tough guy.

Nah, no stereotypes there at all.

Also, since I've been watching Galvion the whole day yesterday, that (1984) has:
- Hot-blooded yet socially clumsy guy
- Delicate and smart pretty boy who can still hold his own in a fight
- Bubbly & sexy younger female
- Fembot
- Mysterious possibly alien waif
- Hot-headed tomboy who is good in martial arts and can pilot a mech as well (better?) than the male leads
- Very sexy billionaire lady whose love interest was killed early on
- Stereotype bikers/street racers
- Burger-devouring, cowboy-hat-wearing sheriff who serves as comic relief
- Mostly ugly villains that look evil/corrupt/whatever
- Pretty boy very intelligent charismatic main villain with paranormal powers and fairly okay henchmen

Three main male characters types: the clumsy yet hot-blooded guy, the smart one, the bad playboy. Five main girls: the bubbly go-lucky one, the advanced robot one, the tomboy, the retracted yet interesting one, the rich and sexy one. If we count the female villains, we also have the corrupt yet redeemable ones

Doesn't that sound suspiciously like the cast of a visual novel?
Oh I got one

"Mysterious young woman who was born inside a pod finds the young man she was programmed before birth to love. And has huge lips."

Who could that be :3
VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh I got one
>
> "Mysterious young woman who was born inside a pod
> finds the young man she was programmed before
> birth to love. And has huge lips."
>
> Who could that be :3


Angelina Jolie?
The new trailer kind of suggest the the female cast may actually wear more than just the sexy space suits at all times.

[www.amazon.co.jp]

Oh that throwback soundtrack and blistering space battles.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 04:43PM by Kwesi K..
[www.youtube.com]

youtube mirror of the trailer
I saw poor TV's Patrick Macias being grumpy on FB because there's a male character that totally looks like him :3

I dunno guys



You just can't take this back



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 11:53PM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - yukiperv.jpg (70.1 KB)
/thread

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
So in regards to that new trailer for Yamato 2199, I saw Alto-san's twitter post but I don't tweet so I'm writing this here

ok so Paul-kun explained what a herbivorous man is to me and why they're attracted to entertainment

how does the term relate to that trailer?

it's the same as that youtube trailer I linked right?

That trailer is like the cliff notes version of the first few episodes of the old show

you barely see tits

you see a giant phallus rising up and firing cannons

and ships firing cannons in space

and men with space suits

and a due with a huge white beard

herbivorous men aren't going to watch it because it's so fucking gay!

i just don't understand anymore

Guys used to say that shit like Dougram and Votoms was so fucking hardcore and shit

and how old anime wasn't like the new stuff

You can't lie to me anymore

We can watch these shows now and all I see is the same shit in a different decade.
MattAlt (Admin)
Exhibit A:



Exhibit B:



Matsumoto didn't have a lot of range in his female character designs but you know they represented HIS take on the ideal woman. (You could say the same for Nagai Go's characters.)

These look a little too much like they represent the current CONSENSUS on what young guys imagine their ideal women to be: ditzy, klutzy, underage, innocent, un-frightening. In other words, just the kind of gal Japan's current crop of young shut-ins loves to fantasize about taking care of (no hanky-panky, of course. Perish the thought.)

That said I'm actually reserving judgement on the show! The battle scenes look decent.
I watched the trailer and it looked like, well, Yamato. The character changes don't really bother me that much. Heck, it is a total sausagefest for 99.9% of the trailer so what's the big deal....and I'm with Matt, the space battles look pretty cool, especially that shot of the laser cannon cutting a ship in half from the inside...nifty...
There's already rule34 for the nurse on pixiv.

I think Steve ands many others here suffer from culture shock because they expected intellectuals to be the audience for these shows they grew up on.

As VF5SS already stated, perverted otaku existed then just as they do now.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
<<So your calm, reasoned explanation is pedantic nerdy nitpicking>>

You just described 90% of the fucking threads on here, most of which you're involved in.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I don't even know who I am anymore.

--------------------------
I want YOU for Moé Sucks Army
You know I don't care really what the show looks like if it means we get some toys out of this....heck the live action film garnered nothing, so hopefully we will get some cool stuff this time round....
MattAlt Wrote:
>
> Matsumoto didn't have a lot of range in his female
> character designs but you know they represented
> HIS take on the ideal woman. (You could say the
> same for Nagai Go's characters.)
>
> These look a little too much like they represent
> the current CONSENSUS on what young guys imagine
> their ideal women to be: ditzy, klutzy, underage,
> innocent, un-frightening. In other words, just the
> kind of gal Japan's current crop of young shut-ins
> loves to fantasize about taking care of (no
> hanky-panky, of course. Perish the thought.)

Man, you know what really frustrates me? That creators take their "ideal" woman, and make that concept into not just the lead character, but every female character in a story. And that this is basically the accepted status quo for so many genres. Like, really, you can't have three sexy young pilots/helmswomen/sidekicks/whatever and then make the nurse a stern mother figure? Eureka 7 did that and it worked out okay.

I guess the herbivorous men are also afraid of mother figures, but, whatever, the point is, idealizing EVERYTHING is bad for fiction in general. It makes it bland and textureless.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
>I guess the herbivorous men are also afraid of mother figures

WHAT? Many Otaku LOVE MILF characters. There's entire doujins and real life porn dedicated to the MILF fetish.

You know who the most popular Queen's Blade character is based on fan art and merchandise? Cattleya, the mother character.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 02:44PM by Vincent Z..
Oh you think Eureka 7 did everything better, Paul-kun :3

You know what was great? After Matsumoto created Harlock, he kept shoving Harlock into everything he could because he thought his space pirate was most bodacious.
MattAlt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Exhibit A:
>
> [yamato2199.net]
> a.jpg
>
> Exhibit B:
>
> [yamato2199.net]
> to.jpg
>
> Matsumoto didn't have a lot of range in his female
> character designs but you know they represented
> HIS take on the ideal woman. (You could say the
> same for Nagai Go's characters.)
>
> These look a little too much like they represent
> the current CONSENSUS on what young guys imagine
> their ideal women to be: ditzy, klutzy, underage,
> innocent, un-frightening. In other words, just the
> kind of gal Japan's current crop of young shut-ins
> loves to fantasize about taking care of (no
> hanky-panky, of course. Perish the thought.)
>
> That said I'm actually reserving judgement on the
> show! The battle scenes look decent.



And Matsumoto did love him both the skintight cat suit and dresses cut open from neck to belly button, not to mention the rape and the blowjobs (well, that was his manga).

I think it's funny, Matt, how you can say what I've said and you don't get the s**t over it.

And nobody is busting a nut over prettyboy Alberto Dessler (seriously? Alberto? ah well) or the ambiguous Black Tiger pilot Sinohara [yamato2199.net] altho I've heard that Patrick Macias is somewhat pissed over Yabu. [yamato2199.net]

Well, no surprise, we're not fujoshi, nor is that as much a problem as often the prettyboys can still do manly things. Unlike the weak simpering males of the current popular rom-com anime.

Given the production staff and what we see so far, I have a strong faith that those MOE stereotype imagery character designs are there for 'bait and switch' marketing in hopes of grabbing those herbivore men, but as others have said it ain't gonna work, Yamato is too f'ing manly for them to deal with. Still and all, someone puts those girls on hugpillows and pervert PVC statues, they'll sell.

Still think the Nurse's uniform is wrong from a practical, technical and 'internal logic' point of view.
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> > I guess the herbivorous men are also afraid of
> > mother figures
>
> WHAT?

Ah, the ever-reliable moment where you ignore the rest of a post and pull out the one thing that you consider a personal affront.

Never change, Vincent.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 03:13PM by asterphage.
<<There's entire doujins and real life porn dedicated to the MILF fetish.>>

He forgot to add "on my hard drive". Share the wealth, Vinnie. (don't)

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
SteveH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> And Matsumoto did love him both the skintight cat
> suit and dresses cut open from neck to belly
> button, not to mention the rape and the blowjobs
> (well, that was his manga).

tell me more~

> I think it's funny, Matt, how you can say what
> I've said and you don't get the s**t over it.
>

It's all about the (just wild beat) communication. You scream MOE MOE MOE like Daryl Surat and use the phrase he uses. I think Colony Drop does that too. I find a lot of the same people repeat the same opinions (like I do). Like the whole Colony Drop crew is just one giant circlejerk these days.

Even Mike Toole got egg on his face for saying untrue things about Macross just because he borrowed a joke from Colony Drop and Daryl Surat.


> Well, no surprise, we're not fujoshi, nor is that
> as much a problem as often the prettyboys can
> still do manly things. Unlike the weak simpering
> males of the current popular rom-com anime.
>

Men are only worth anything if they do manly things in my SF. Sensitivity and love triangles are so moe.


> Given the production staff and what we see so far,
> I have a strong faith that those MOE stereotype
> imagery character designs are there for 'bait and
> switch' marketing in hopes of grabbing those
> herbivore men, but as others have said it ain't
> gonna work, Yamato is too f'ing manly for them to
> deal with. Still and all, someone puts those girls
> on hugpillows and pervert PVC statues, they'll
> sell.

You keep using the word moe, I do not think it means what you think it means. Or perhaps it is so broad it is loosing all meaning.

So how many Yuki GKs have been made over the years? I guess those don't count. It doesn't count if the girls in the show are done how you like it.

>
> Still think the Nurse's uniform is wrong from a
> practical, technical and 'internal logic' point of
> view.

So just because you say so.


I feel like if someone's entire view on anime these days is just waiting for the one reason not to check out a series then maybe you've outgrown the whole medium.




With regards to the fujoshi, I think they are discovering they like Yamato just fine as it is.

source: [www.pixiv.net]



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 05:25PM by VF5SS.
Attachments:
open | download - kodaibl.jpg (130.5 KB)
<<I feel like if someone's entire view on anime these days is just waiting for the one reason not to check out a series then maybe you've outgrown the whole medium.>>

I don't necessarily disagree with this statement, but think the Yamato case is different. You're dealing with a property that a lot of folks grew up with and have a lot of attachment to, so ANY updates or changes are going to infuriate some. I understand that they updated character designs to contemporize it but it honestly loses a lot of charm, to me.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 05:16PM by hillsy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer