Outer Space Men at Futuretro!

Posted by microbry 
Incredible showing for the Outer-Space Men by Four Horsemen at Toypocalypse 2: Futuretro!

OSM display with prototypes for the upcoming releases:
[16bit.com]

Custom OSM figures (including a show exclusive set from Mel Birnkrant himself, Matt Doughty, Sucklord, and many others, self included):
[www.16bit.com]

Man I wish I could be there...!
"Man I wish I could be there...!"

You ain't kiddin'!

Try to keep check on random toy happening news, but get real busy for just a week or so and not keep up, and *BAM!* something cool like this is here! *grumblesauce#*

Thanks for sharing the pics. Some beautiful stuff. Nice blog!
They're really getting it with the design of this line, and it's packaging/advertising/photos.

I'll have to check Onell's blog for more. [onelldesign.blogspot.com]

It was pretty easy to keep up with getting all the releases up till now, by just showing up at NYCC each year, and the occaisonal pop-in to ToyTokyo.

Now, with customs getting into the mix, it's like the now expanded Onell & Rawshark collab figure lineup in getting vast real quick. The customs are cool, and are nice occaisonal pickups to keep a contact with the personal side of the toy biz, as you meet and yap it up with customizers, but glad I don't feel compelled to find and catch 'em all! That path seems to lead some collectors to madness.

EDIT: hmmmm, blog says the show will continue from last night, thru the week? *ka-PWING!!>>>>>* I'm off down to NYC this weekend!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2012 12:09PM by repairtechjon.
Anonymous User
Nice to see Mel B so closely involved in it all.

I hope that damn cool group painting gets a poster or print!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 10:48PM by AcroRay.
Is it this poster that comes with the special 4pc set you're looking at Ray? ;0)
[www.toytokyo.com]
Anonymous User
I guess so. Nice package of stuff. Outta my price range, though. Oh, well.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Is Wave 2 out yet?

I'm waiting for a giftset with the entire lineup!
Sanjeev: Yes, it is out. I own a set and it is unbelievably cool. The black parts on Mystron have to be seen in person to be believed. I think they used the same black as the Disaster Area ship described in Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. ;)

They also were previously released as three translucent exclusive sets for us clear space figure fans. :D

Ray, there's been some interest in the poster print being offered separately, so we'll see...
Does anybody out there have a lead on a set of 2.0 Re-relase Wave 1 & 2 figures? By the time I was ready to throw in whole-hog, they were sold out at Storehorsemen...
Sanjeev (Admin)
From what I've heard about these toys, they've been a bit of a nightmare for people to get ahold of unless they lurked on the Horsemen's website daily for up-to-the-second release info and threw down as soon as shit became available.

Sorry for the lack of *actually* useful info... :/
Naw, speaking as a buyer of most of the OSM releases, the main releases never sold out immediately, and even a lot of the exclusives lingered for quite some time. The rerelease was around for months. It wasn't anything like the Glyos drops.

Slowed down sales means there's less impetus for them to do a third release, but they have said on the forum they would like to do a full series re-release at some point in the future if able to do so. As it is, one of the Outer-Space Women Mel had designed was shelved along with his plans for further new figures (at least they got four new ones made).

Frankly I wasn't very impressed with the OSW and didn't buy the painted ones yet or Jack Asteroid. I have all four of those in the clear release and felt that the humans were kind of boring and that the women do not stand very well.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Huh...that's funny because I heard these toys were hard to get FROM Glyos collectors! :P

I think the point is more that these *are* more high-profile mass-marketed action figures (than Glyos), so one would expect their "standard editions" to be readily available.

Anyway, yeah, the human woman was kind of a let-down for me. I mean, you had all these wild, interesting alien designs...and then this plain white chick with proportions even more ludicrous than a Barbie doll. I am disappoint.
I think that was maybe true for the very first releases, but things calmed down after that. However they later had a clearance sale that made a lot of stuff go *poof*.

I was nearly first in line for most of the first various releases though, so that may also be my own perspective. "What took you guys so long?" lol That said, I was mostly after the clear variants, so I'm pretty much done now. The alien women are kind of cool in clear, but I thought the painted ones didn't really live up to the other aliens, either. Oh well.
Sanjeev
Anyway, yeah, the human woman was kind of a let-down for me. I mean, you had all these wild, interesting alien designs...and then this plain white chick with proportions even more ludicrous than a Barbie doll. I am disappoint.

Actually, as I understand it, the human female in the line is supposed to be aping the style of Erich Sokol (NSFW) or his contemporary illustrators who specialized in "the human female form" during the 1960s. Those guys were seriously some of the best in the business and their work was easily as "mainstream" as the works that inspired the aliens in TOSM. That is, the outlandishly stylized and sexy curves of the character are supposed to match the goofball space alien aesthetic of the same era (late 50s, early 60s). I think they nailed it. She looks like a Playboy cartoon come to life. Which, to me, is cool because it's clearly an unobtainable body image from a fantasy context as compared to Barbie which, by its very nature as an avatar for female identity and gender roles, warps young girls irrepairably.

microbry
I think that was maybe true for the very first releases, but things calmed down after that. However they later had a clearance sale that made a lot of stuff go *poof*.

I was nearly first in line for most of the first various releases though, so that may also be my own perspective. "What took you guys so long?" lol That said, I was mostly after the clear variants, so I'm pretty much done now. The alien women are kind of cool in clear, but I thought the painted ones didn't really live up to the other aliens, either. Oh well.

Any chance you've got a line on the second run of the first four painted figures?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, I know what they were going for when they designed the female character. I just need to be able to look my girlfriend in the eye and NOT cower like a ronrey toy nerd.

Anyway, I'm just grumpy because instead of getting bendies with modern metal wires that won't break from fatigue, we got basic action figures with some of the loosest joints on any Glyos-family toy ever...

Non-bendy OSMs is like a Transformer that doesn't transform, a Zoid that isn't motorized, etc...
I've completely passed on these so far. Not that I've not thought about buying some, because when I was a kid these were some of the things I lusted after. Still, the fact that they weren't bendies did put me off and kept me from buying in. Now, I have purchased a couple of the Power Lords guys which should be on their way soon. I'm hoping those won't be loose as you mentioned. I finally grabbed a few Glyos figures after holding off forever, and they are really well made. I just have to pick and choose on the ones I actually like the design on. It would be a disappointment if toys from the 4H can't manage to be made to the same standards as a company that does tiny little runs of their releases...

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
fujikuro
I've completely passed on these so far. Not that I've not thought about buying some, because when I was a kid these were some of the things I lusted after. Still, the fact that they weren't bendies did put me off and kept me from buying in. Now, I have purchased a couple of the Power Lords guys which should be on their way soon. I'm hoping those won't be loose as you mentioned. I finally grabbed a few Glyos figures after holding off forever, and they are really well made. I just have to pick and choose on the ones I actually like the design on. It would be a disappointment if toys from the 4H can't manage to be made to the same standards as a company that does tiny little runs of their releases...

So the Power Lord figures are almost a whole different animal. They're VERY solid and far more like traditional action figures than any previous Glyos fam product. They probably will make for shitty building toys because everything is designed in a very purpose-built manner, but as a result, their sculpting and articulation are superb. The joint quality will not disappoint either--they're definitely Glyos joints, but the PVC is a much higher durometer. So if you want a nice, higher-end action figure, these are great.

Unless, of course, you're completely put off by the fact that Adam and Lord Power are now TWO SEPARATE FIGURES. But whatever...

The OSM figures are quite a bit more basic than the Power Lords and the PVC is a *way* lower durometer (even lower than your average Glyos figure), which is kinda what I don't like about them. Lower durometer makes for more fun building...but I'm not really a builder. I'll bash together a "powered-up" action figure, but that's about it. The OSMs are a little janky-feeling because the joints tend to be a little looser and stuff gets knocked outta alignment pretty easily when fiddling with them. Not a deal-breaker, but just my two cents.

The core Glyos figures are nice because they're not so big that heavy limbs overpower the joints. That allows for lower durometer...and a better building experience. And because their aesthetic is more basic, you don't really pick one up expecting amazing articulation, y'know? When I pick up an OSM, I kinda expect them to move more than they do...
Agreed on the Power Lords. My only complaint left on them is the t-crotch and I hear that may get addressed later, too. They are remarkably well made and an amazing refinement of mixing articulation with interchangeability. I've always wanted Glyos-based stuff with working joints, the axis and swing joints nonwithstanding.

Sorry Gcrush, no leads on that release, but if I see them somewhere I will update here. I gave it a pass myself as I've already gone over my budget collecting these. They are nicer than the first versions, but not enough to make me buy them again.

For my own collecting and play purposes, the OSM series was fantastic. I do collect some bendy type figures, but for OSM, I had once only watched the series from afar because of price point and scale (being mostly a 1:18 centric fan). That 4HM not only made them affordable, 1:18, but also interchangeable with Glyos and in clear, Microman-like color variants turned me into a pretty dedicated fan for quite some time.

You can't do this with bendies...

[www.flickr.com]

Let alone these unbelievable customs NiStuff did...
[www.flickr.com]

And more random fun here:
[www.flickr.com]

Can you tell I dig these guys? :)
Well, I've thrown down on a bunch of different Glyos-based stuff recently. I ordered the red Power Lords soldier dude (he's a bit Crimson Guard, isn't he?) and one of the two green/black Gryyptogg-ish guys. That and the three pack of the two weird girls and Collossus Rex. Those, and few actual Glyos figs and a couple of the Ni Stuff Outlanders. Got a bunch of glowy guys right now, and may get a few more if some b-day money rolls in. I'm looking forward to some upcoming drops from the other Glyos-based guys as well that are happening in about a week. I finally joined the crowd, and am pretty happy to have done so. The Glyos stuff is really hitting its stride right now, so it was time.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'd also recommend picking up some of Toyfinity's Robo Force figures. They're pretty damn fun. Their releases so far have been really sparse, but I think that's because they're still just getting started...
They supposedly have a drop coming up on the 23rd!

More serious than thou
Some of thems clear OSM mashups are glorious. I love it.

I'm waiting for the Robo Force drops with figures painted like the old toys. Is that ever going to happen?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush
I'm waiting for the Robo Force drops with figures painted like the old toys. Is that ever going to happen?

You're not alone. Not by a long shot.

And yes, that's the plan...but I'm not sure if it's simply a matter of time or if they need to sell a certain number of plain figures first...
Thanks, Gcrush!

Yes, they will happen. John is being pretty clever on cost management for this series. The final versions will require a heck of a lot of paint-ops and be a bit pricier, so each subsequent new release has been adding more paint ops over time to build up to that end result. The first release had one paint op, the second had a couple (and looked amazing in the Giant Acroyear colors), and I expect we should see more paint ops on the release in the next drop. I forget when he expects to reach the end goal, but I know it is in sight and doable. :) I was very thrilled in any case to see a Micronauts/Microman colorway along the way!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush

This just in: vintage-colored Robo Force doods coming this summer! Confirmed with Doc Kent yesterday. I gotta say, though, his recent "ultra silver" ones are magical in person! For $16, ya kinda can't beat how much fun these lil fuckers are.

Kent also told me that all the simplified non-vintage color schemes he's been doing so far are actually part of the retconned fiction. I had no idea they were doing a comic until he told me, so I'm looking forward to reading it...
Looking forward to all that. I ordered one each of the latest releases - GITD and silver. The Godbeast Kabuto Mushiis were so much fun, I can't wait to see how these ones come out.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
I keep stalling on jumping on a Kabuto Mushi run. And I don't know why. I guess it's cause I lean way-heavily more towards robitts, as opposed to organic designs. But the Kabuto Mushi feels like a zoanoid from Guyver, which I absolutely loved! We'll see which side wins out...

Anyway, here's a good review of Wrecker and Sentinel:
[www.collectiondx.com]

Wonder why Wrecker's GID...I guess the comic will tell us!
Sanjeev
This just in: vintage-colored Robo Force doods coming this summer!

This is exciting. I can't wait to see pics.
I'm still waiting for the current crop of Robo Force to arrive. Can't wait to get my mitts on those!

If only there was some way someone could do Starriors this way. But Tomy still exists and the license would probably be a small fortune.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, Kent has inquired about Starriors...and weirdly, Mantech...and both are too expensive. (Really? Fucking Mantech, Robot Warriors??? Yeah, I don't get it...)
Sanjeev
Yeah, Kent has inquired about Starriors...and weirdly, Mantech...and both are too expensive. (Really? Fucking Mantech, Robot Warriors??? Yeah, I don't get it...)

Holy shit. Mantech? Even if the license were cheap enough that's still scraping the bottom of the 1980s barrel of toy nostalgia. Yikes.

Starriors though? That'd be cool. And, really, if companies can pop out tidal wave after tidal wave of not-Transformers so easily what's to stop a not-Starriors line? Just call it Robot Freaks or something. With multiple color ways it'd be easy enought to sell combinations that could recreate the originals without deliberately infringing unpon legally actionable territory...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Aww...I actually liked Mantech! LOL

And if you think about it, they'd make a MUCH more logical transition to Glyos....than Manglors.

I also tend to agree about Starriors, but I think Kent's MO is to do licensed stuff only. It doesn't seem he's terribly interested in coming out with "designer" characters like the other Glyos fam members.
Wasn't Starriors some joint venture between Tomy and Marvel or something? Or is it solely owned by one or the other. I'd think the IP is way too close to Zoids for Tomy to want to part it out for cheap.
Don't think it was a joint venture, but there were Marvel comics. It's a natural given the modular nature of the toys, but it would be an incredible longshot for such a thing to happen.

How about Glyos compatible dino-riders (Four Horsemen, please)?

More serious than thou
OK, got some of the Robo Force guys. Made up a few custom configs. It's really cool what you can do with these guys. The thing I love about the Robo Force figs is the self-contained nature of what you can do with them. No need to buy a bunch of different figs in order to get enough parts to truly build something new and interesting.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
That elephant's terrific!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer