Naoyuki Kato and The Forever War

Posted by asterphage 
So I was looking for a high-res image of Naoyuki Kato's classic cover for the Japanese edition of Starship Troopers, when I ran across Kato's blog, which I hadn't previously been aware of:
[naokatoh.cocolog-nifty.com]

He posts a lot of art, and the best thing I've seen on his site so far is these articles:

in which he posts art of his powered suit design from his cover illustration for the Japanese edition of The Forever War, including a turnaround, a shot of how it opens up, and various details.

Apparently these designs were done for a resin kit of the powered suit, which we can see in the second link... It looks like Kato tells us that the five copies are going to himself, Forever War author Joe Haldeman, Mr. Asahina at Wave (who was in charge of developing the 1/12 Starship Troopers Powered Suit kit), a translator from Kichijoji named Matt, and an American fan named Roger.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>, a translator from Kichijoji
> named Matt, and an American fan named Roger.

this is a mystery
MattAlt (Admin)
Doppelgangers, I swear.
MattAlt (Admin)
"Build up... dan, dan, dan, dan, build Up...."

Here is a pic I shot of the kit that Asahina built up specially for Joe.
Attachments:
open | download - suit.jpg (184 KB)
Awesome, thanks for the pic.

The work itself is awesome, but what's really great is the confluence of this group of creators, all so accomplished - Kato and Asahina paying tribute to Haldeman through their art. It's enough to make one shed a single dramatic anime tear.

Also, I can finally see where the heat-radiating fins are on Kato's Forever War design!! I had been wondering about that! Realistically, though, it should look more like a computer processor's heat sink :3

-Paul Segal

Anonymous User
Mysterious Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2011 09:50PM by Anavel.
Attachments:
open | download - rog.jpg (247.8 KB)
Thanks to the design magic of Ted Terranova, this finally came to fruition. See:

[sites.google.com]

[www.shapeways.com]

[www.thingiverse.com]

[www.flickr.com]
FRIGGIN AWESOME. There's probably some guy out there with carefully conceived Forever War miniatures rules who's been waiting for this for years.

-Paul Segal

Bronze and gold, for the holidays:

[www.flickr.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer