[BOOTLEG] what the heck?

Posted by asterphage 
one Errolson Hugh of military-inspired fashion design group Acronym just tweeted this photo:
[pic.twitter.com]
In which he appears to be standing between two rows of man-sized, Grendizer-headed, bootleg Wing Gundams (with their shoulder armors folded down inaccurately). I have no idea what this is about.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 06:22PM by asterphage.
Attachments:
open | download - AcylarICEAExdv0_large.jpg (161.9 KB)
asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (with their shoulder armors folded down
> inaccurately).

this is important
Cool. It looks like they have waist joints.
Wasn't a painted one of these somewhere in the Fugly thread?

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Yes, oh my yes, the one on the right has two left fists. Wonder if they came packaged that way? Reminds me of when I got my Diaclone King Dam back at Kay Bee Toys at the MALL back in the mid-80's...or was it Rizzi Toys? They were sort of the same store, but both in the same mall, kind of an 80's redundancy thing I guess. Kind of like Rainbow and Arcadia, which both sold girly stuff like Duran Duran calendars and day-glow thingies. Anyway, when I got him home, he had two left fists...it's not like I was planning on starting some sort of homegrown mecha army to take over the world like the guy in the picture is OBVIOUSLY planning. But I just wanted a toy with the right hands, correct hands that it, although both were lefties...you know what I mean. Anyhoo...flash-forward to 2005 when I stumble upon a cheapie auction for a boxed King Dam, which (dramatic pause) irony of all cosmic ironies, came with two RIGHT fists...needless to say...ended up with two King Dam robots with right and left fists in thier respective firing prongs in the end.

Case closed...or is it?
VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> asterphage Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > (with their shoulder armors folded down
> > inaccurately).
>
> this is important

I never noticed until now, but Wing Gundam's shoulders could pass for Gundam feet.

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army
Apparantly one wasn't enough
Supersentai Wrote:
> Anyhoo...flash-forward to 2005 when I stumble upon
> a cheapie auction for a boxed King Dam, which
> (dramatic pause) irony of all cosmic ironies, came
> with two RIGHT fists...needless to say...ended up
> with two King Dam robots with right and left fists
> in thier respective firing prongs in the end.

That's beautiful, man. *wipes away tear*

Scopedog Wrote:
>
> I never noticed until now, but Wing Gundam's
> shoulders could pass for Gundam feet.

Totally! It kinda prefigures how the main 5 Gundam Seed machines mirror various shapes all over their bodies.

-Paul Segal

I'm not sure what photo you guys are looking at, but it does not have two left fists. Look for the raised part for the thumbs - each has a right and left.

Anyway, these are a few years old now. We talked about these on RJ several years ago, but I doubt I could find the thread now. They were created for some kind of exhibit or art show, and there was a whole army of them made (I recall seeing a photos with about 40 or more on a rooftop). They were later sold off through various websites for a hefty sum.
OH...I see it now, sort of a raised finger guard on the outside of the hand (I was looking at the grey guy on the right)...still suffering from King Dam Identical Hand Reaction Syndrome...will try to be more careful next time.
Kingboy D Wrote:
>
> Anyway, these are a few years old now. We talked
> about these on RJ several years ago, but I doubt I
> could find the thread now. They were created for
> some kind of exhibit or art show, and there was a
> whole army of them made (I recall seeing a photos
> with about 40 or more on a rooftop). They were
> later sold off through various websites for a
> hefty sum.

Weird! I wonder if it's based on some actual bootleg robot toy, or if the creators chose that combination of head and body for their own reasons.

-Paul Segal

He's been trying to sell one on Ebay. 2k I think?
Here's a totally different kind of pseudo-bootleg - the Mall of America's Lego display features this Lego robot that's pretty much just a Gundam with an open rollcage over the cockpit.

[www.flickr.com]
[www.flickr.com]

-Paul Segal

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2011 03:05PM by asterphage.
Attachments:
open | download - 6326484835_060dbaeec7_b.jpg (467 KB)
HAHA, I just noticed it also has a Lego man in the head! I wonder if it's a two man crew, or if that guy's just up there cleaning out the face-hole.

-Paul Segal

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer