-------------------------------------------------------
> Truly an amazing coincidence that the guy who
> hates Facebook has a girlfriend who sends him
> Facebook drama while he's at work :3

Don't I know it, brother!? LOL

> None of this seems to have anything to do with
> Facebook, it's got everything to do with how
> specific people behave...

Again, I don't disagree [though I WOULD change that "specific people" to "most people"]. But again, I'm not particularly interested in TRAINING the people around me not to be fucking idiots on the internet. Hence the argument. :P And I'm pretty damn confident this lovely social phenomenon is only going to get worse for me if I *actually join* facebook!
Maybe that says more about you.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
MattAlt (Admin)
I'm a regular FB user but one reason I haven't pushed for a FB group is because I prefer the BBS format for stuff like this. There are also already a bunch of fragmented groups there for vinyls, JMs, etc., etc.

Speaking personally I haven't been posting much because the things I've been buying are of limited interest to most readers here (translucent stuff, etc.) I haven't been buying many "mainstream" toys; the stuff I do want is getting super expensive (Daioger SOC is 25,000 yen, right?) and I simply don't have the financial wherewithal or the display space to keep up with the flood of merchandise. But I quietly hang out here as do (I suspect) a lot of people, and don't really feel like the sky is falling or anything. We're just in a quiet period now.
I agree with Matt. FB just doesn't cut it for group discussions, really. Just my opinion. I like this environment better as well. And, well, all the people I like to talk about toys with are here. I've never met a single one of you guys in person, but I get a greater sense of community here than I do anywhere else online.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> Maybe that says more about you.

It says "I'm a good listener". :P

Anyway, I don't really feel like the sky's falling either. Hell, I haven't really noticed any lull either. Maybe there are just fewer toys coming out these days that cater to *our* demographic?
MattAlt (Admin)
The ironic thing is, if this amount of Macross merchandise and super robot chogokin had come out back when I was in full collecting mode, I would've gone crazy for it. Yamato and Bandai are churning out some amazingly high-end Macross stuff and the recent SOCs have all been pretty amazing.

Yet I haven't actually bought any in several years!

The bottom line is this site's been around for close to 15 years now (!) and a lot of us are simply in a different place than we were in our mid-twenties. That rubs some young'uns (like the one who started this thread) the wrong way, but it's just a fact. I like it around here, I read your guys' and gals' stuff, and post when I feel like it.
Teehee. For the record, I'm in my mid twenties, and I still buy toys <3

... I also happen to like the BBS format more than Facebook, myself. I'm honestly a little more partial to chat even than forum, but I am also preferential to one-on-one conversation. I'm glad this place is still alive for the group interaction.
Sanjeev (Admin)
There used to be a semi-regular Friday slack chat hosted here...

I guess we've just been lazy about making that happen. Heh...lazy about slack chatting!

Anyway, to Matt's point, I think it's true that some of us are at different points in our lives...but also for the more vintage-oriented folks, many of us either 1) have already filled the staples and bigger-ticket items on our want lists over the years, or 2) have been priced out of the market due to some of the crazy-high prices we've been seeing.

Well, either way, I still enjoy the social interaction here and offline. If I weren't so busy in my "real" life, I'd probably post more geeky, luvy-duvy brogs about the toys that happen to be tickling my fancy that week...but the comparatively low-overhead, near-real-time banter of the bbs throughout the work day gives me a nice fix!
Today's Thought Catalog video by Ryan O'Connel is oddly apropos:
[thoughtcatalog.com]

It's only four minutes... and totally on point for some of the complaints here.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Another place I go to:

[myfigurecollection.net]

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sanjeev Wrote:
...but also for the more vintage-oriented
> folks, many of us either 1) have already filled
> the staples and bigger-ticket items on our want
> lists over the years, or 2) have been priced out
> of the market due to some of the crazy-high prices
> we've been seeing.

Makes sense. About the furthest back I go in terms of toys I want is the early 90's, and I mainly go for fairly current releases, so I guess that doesn't affect me as much.

One of these days one of you will have to show me what's so cool about the vintage stuffs.
= ^ w ^ =

Er, not that I need yet another group of toys to collect. When I think about it, maybe y'all should just let me be happy *without* knowing the joys of vintage.
<<One of these days one of you will have to show me what's so cool about the vintage stuffs.>>

If the brogs and datafiles aren't convincing enough for you, nothing we can say will do it. :)

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
True. We tend to get a little verbose when waxing poetic about how we lovingly sip cognac by the fireplace while fondling these toys we always wanted as kids!

I look at it this way: just browse through the pics on the Fugly Challenge thread. If the shit makes you laugh at its utter absurdity, then there's real potential that you'll "get" vintage. If it just makes you roll your eyes and think how stupid this crap is...then vintage may not be for you!
I think you may need to hold some old school toys in your hands to truly get the love, MaidenLili.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Even I "get" oldschool toys, although I love what's out now.

Old toys do have a tactile difference. Even if many robot toys from back then were simpler and relied on stickers (I hate those), I love things like copious amounts of metal and chrome (love chrome). You don't see chrome on robots toys anymore except on highend stuff.

My history isn't as old as many here. I learned the joys of Japanese robots through Transformers and Gobots.

Today I got to handle and actual DX Voltron for the first time at a comic shop (were there DX Voltrons without those little wings on the red and green lion? Other wise it could have been a Godaikin Golion).

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. Glorious modernization - posts here should be limited to 140 characters. Don't you see? That's the genius - that will bring us completely up to speed. Or are you afraid of the REVOLUTION? Chogo spring. Let a thousands schools of thought post photos from the party last night to your timeline, stopping employers from hiring you. We're just Kubrick's monkey, throwing the bone a little bit further each eon.
Sanjeev (Admin)
LOL "Chogo Spring"!

Genius!
Ahaha, I actually thoroughly enjoy the fugly challenge. I own one of the silly dinosaur-combiner boots that showed up on there a while ago, and I love him very much for his, uh... general disregard of good design principles. Well, and because I'm a sucker for gattai even when it's a little dumb.

I think it's true that I might not really 'get it' until I've seen or held some in person. I finally acquired an old re-release Soundwave from a friend a while ago, and despite the limited articulation and general awkwardness I have to admit that the cold, solid metal is actually very appealing.
Sanjeev (Admin)
...Aaaaand the seeds have been sewn.

;)
Ginrai Wrote:
> I think you may need to hold some old school toys
> in your hands to truly get the love, MaidenLili.

That is the WORST pick-up line I have ever heard!

};)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2012 02:36PM by SteveH.
This is entire thread speaks to exactly why I don't have a Facebook or go on The Twitter.
I have to say, Facebook has really completely revitalized the western Microman/Micronauts community, particular after an enforced group format change that I didn't like but was really effective at increasing membership and productive chatter. Our old forums had been really starting to dry up (admittedly the Yahoo group, our prior core "spot", was turning into a dinosaur long ago), but I'm happy to say that there's been interesting photos and posts shared daily on our little corner of the social network, and more discussion than we've had in years, and a lot of both returned old-timers as well as plenty of new blood, and some from parts of the world we'd never been much in touch with before.

So your mileage *will* vary. I see some great Jumbo Machinder and Yamato stuff there, and for those into it, I do know there's a vibrant looking Figma community there that I just stumbled on, not sure about Busou Shinki (which I think the best stuff I've seen has been on Flickr so far) yet, need to look around more...

And the Glyos community is a nice complement to the October Toys forum.

That said, I can't really find a lot of personal use for Twitter yet, though. Sometimes I'll find some interesting stuff there, but for the most part it just hurts my head to look at it and sort through it. But then, I don't have a net-enabled phone still (shakes cane angrily), so maybe that's part of it. :/
MaidenLili Wrote:
> I finally acquired an old re-release Soundwave from
> a friend a while ago, and despite the limited
> articulation and general awkwardness I have to admit
> that the cold, solid metal is actually very appealing.

Soundwave is pretty well articulated for a Diaclone/Microchange design!

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
leMel42 Wrote:
> Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. Glorious
> modernization - posts here should be limited to
> 140 characters. Don't you see? That's the genius -
> that will bring us completely up to speed. Or are
> you afraid of the REVOLUTION? Chogo spring. Let a
> thousands schools of thought post photos from the
> party last night to your timeline, stopping
> employers from hiring you. We're just Kubrick's
> monkey, throwing the bone a little bit further
> each eon.

I know you're being sarcastic, but unfortunately reality is already worse than what you're suggesting here.
There's people who advocate you can have "deep scientific discussions" over Twitter, in messages not exceeding 140 characters. When you see these so-called "deep" discussions, they turn out to be the scientific equivalent of a bar chat mixed with l33t-speak, with about the same intellectual level as the bar chat, i.e. an endless repetition of the same points that usually are of the "X would be awesome/cool/whatever, especially if you change Y"-variety. :(

As for the TBDX forum, why isn't it possible to post on here from a SmartPhone? There's many other forums where it is possible!

MaidenLili wrote:
"...and despite the limited articulation and general awkwardness I have to admit that the..."

G1 Soundwave? Limited articulation? ARghlablablablobblaaargh! You, dear lady, are in need of holding a true G1 Transformer from around 1987, which has only two points of articulation and is a brightly colored brick.
Just saiyan guys

I know dudes who know phpbbs stuff

and how to make websites

I know asking to make something more accessible ruins the old boy's club feel here

usenet 4 life

I guess asking to make a facebook group means Steve might have to deal with peer review :v
thomas Wrote:
>
> As for the TBDX forum, why isn't it possible to
> post on here from a SmartPhone? There's many other
> forums where it is possible!

The site works on my phone, which is three years old and not particularly smart.

-Paul Segal

Veef....did you *actually* ask Alen if you could make a fb group? Or is it easier to just passively bitch about it? ;)

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
thomas Wrote:
> As for the TBDX forum, why isn't it possible to
> post on here from a SmartPhone? There's many other
> forums where it is possible!

It works fine on my Blackberry. Maybe you need to update the OS or something?

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army
Oh, sorry, I was just replying to some comments in this thread that said it didn't work. I haven't tried it myself (besides, considering the shitty quality of my Nokia's screen, reading the phorum would be painful...)
hillsy Wrote:
> Veef....did you *actually* ask Alen if you could
> make a fb group? Or is it easier to just passively
> bitch about it? ;)

i'm trying to root out the fun people
In about 10 minutes, after I finish my eggs benedict, I'm going to leave this cafe I'm at (for real). I appreciate being allowed to get some work done here, but for real, it's almost time to leave.

Back on topic please, people.
The fun is under Alt's pants.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Veef started a secret Facebook group to talk about robots. You have to send him an application essay to join.

-Paul Segal

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

shush

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2012 07:35AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - facebook small.jpg (188.8 KB)
MattAlt (Admin)
I'm leaving ToyboxDX until the next time I check the site.

Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop.
MattAlt Wrote:
> I'm leaving ToyboxDX until the next time I check
> the site.
>
> Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop.

Could you post that on Facebook?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2012 10:42PM by Gcrush.
Gcrush Wrote:
> [toyboxdx.com]

I thought that face was the hand from Vampire Hunter D, and so I went Googling pics of the hand from Vampire Hunter D and found this:

Oh, and I'll be leaving TBDX in a few minutes, after I make a post about some stuff I've been excited over lately.

Stay on topic, please, people. This thread is for departures only. Arrivals are on another floor.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2012 11:33PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Vampire_Hunter_D__s_Left_Hand_by_aimeekitty.jpg (79.9 KB)
gingaio Wrote:
>
> I thought that face was the hand from Vampire
> Hunter D,

Did you figure out what face it actually was eventually? I got it, but I'm curious if you're still in suspense.

-Paul Segal

Nope. Enlighten me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer