Leaving TBDX (for real).

Posted by Vincent Z. 
".this is how he always planned the evolution of his advocacy for turning Toybox into "let's talk naughtly pre-pubescent girly anime.com"."

And you wonder why I don't want to talk here anymore with comments like this.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
The fact is your non-robot interests and those of the majority of the folks here don't mesh. You should have been willing to just accept it and not proselytize. If you had been satisfied with actually talking about robot toys, you wouldn't have had people making snarky comments. It's not rocket science. People do go overboard in mocking you, but still, to a certain extent you bring it on yourself. OVer, and over, and over...

I'd hate to see you leave myself - you have a particular sensibility in regards to the actual board topics here that is worthwhile. When you stick to the topic, your posts are taken seriously (usually) and you do contribute something. I guess I just don't get the need to tweak other people's sensibilities. I don't go posting on classical music boards about my favorite death metal bands for example.

More serious than thou
True but really as I said, not much has really been happening here anyway.

I'll still lurk of course.

Yup. No doubt. The TF forum generally has the most activity. I wonder if part of it is the economy. People have less money for toys, so less discussion of same because it's just a reminder of what you can't afford anymore?

More serious than thou
I'm only kidding...if I'm wrong "MaidenLili" ("ha").

The thing that gets me after all of this time is that the site goes out of its way to point out that "moe" is a prohibited topic, but it seems that every time Vince comes up with a new way to skirt the topic, it results in all of this drama.

If I was the administrator of a football site, and laid out ground rules which included forbidding postings about cheerleaders, and someone kept insisting on bringing up "knee high boots", "tassels", "pom-poms", etc. as a way to introduce cheerleaders into the conversation, then I'd boot the poster. Hence, no drama.

What has gone on here over a LONG period of time is an unwillingess in enforcement of rules that are clearly set out for everyone to understand. I'm all for "freedom of speech", but this isn't a democracy, it's a toy robot website that I'd imagine involves a significant expense and effort to maintain, as well as being a private venture to boot.

I've said it a million times, it's just a shame to me that folks around here lose perspective of the big picture and realize that in a world of SEVEN BILLION people, you might have only around a thousand or less people nuts enought about this stuff to get involved in sites like this. And for the site to serve as a mechanism for exlusivity, elitism, and in so many other ways to make fellow robot toy fans feel unwelcome or to become the targets of hostility, is just baffling to me. But just me apparently.

Of course, since there actually is a cheerleader named "Raydeen", she's more than welcome on this site...right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2012 11:28PM by Supersentai.
>I wonder if part of it is the economy. People have less money for toys, so less discussion of same because it's just a reminder of what you can't afford anymore?

I think there;s some truth to this. Plus I think we've all be more focusing on specific lines or characters rather than grab bag whatever just because it's cool.

For me I've just been generally getting figma or the odd crane prize PVC statue . I did get my Souchaku Henshin Sharivan today (HLJ had a brief restock of it and was on sale), along with figma Sayaka from Madoka Magica. I have both Tekkaman on PO.

But anyway, take care everyone. As I said, I'll still be here lurking and might even post time to time.

Vincent Z. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> But anyway, take care everyone. As I said, I'll
> still be here lurking and might even post time to
> time.

Why don't you just quit entirely? Sheeeeeeesh

Also supersentai, can I call you SS?

Ok your cheerleader thing doesn't work because it's a big part of how the game is presented and marketed across the world. Also maybe it keeps some people from feeling funny watching big men tackle each other for two hours :d

There are an even greater number of things with robot anime and anime in general that shape their presentation and have done so since the dawn of the medium. These things flow so freely in and out you can never fully separate them.

It was over since the first breast missile was fired in anger.
>Why don't you just quit entirely?

Because some want me here still and if I have something TOY related to say, I'll say it. Why do you act like you have control where I'm allowed to post. Excuse me if we share some of the same interests and frequent some of the same places.

"When Vinnie watches it and then buys a figma of submissive cat girl so he can posts pics of him feeding it strawberries on his DA account nestled between his pregnant anime girl art,"

So?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 09:43AM by Vincent Z..
Dude at any other BBS you'd be gone for this John Kerry flip flopping.
Man, this place is just full of never-ending socially-disabled nerd rage. Sheesh. The snarkiness used to be vaguely tongue-in-cheek once upon a time.

More serious than thou
I wish I knew how to quit you.
The first one is free....
Attachments:
open | download - mmmmmm.jpg (24.7 KB)
VZ, show us your tits!

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army
VF5SS Wrote:
>
> It was over since the first breast missile was
> fired in anger.

aaaaahahahahaha
an elegant metaphor

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Hey lili you wanna friend some of us on FB cuz we have lots of robot talk there.

We even discuss leg delivery panels :3
Veef stop trying to kill this messageboard with your insidious suggestions that we all talk about robots on social networks instead

-Paul Segal

Struggling for relevance in the face of progress

Kinda like Battletech in a way...
If classic BBSes are the Inner Sphere, does that make phpBB boards the Clans?

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
This is a little embarrassing given my otherwise net-oriented existence... but I kinda make a point of not existing much on Facebook. Social networks kinda make me sad. Pretty much I'm on LinkedIn and use the others for communication if necessary, but I don't do much posting.

That said, I suppose if it let me actually chat with you guys rather than being stuck over the BBS, it might be worth logging on once in a while. PM me some names?

Er, for that matter... I just realized that I don't even know most of your actual names, even though I see some of them floating about the threads from time to time.
Well both Paul and Ben there just put names I their sigs lol

And Joshb puts my name in the videos I appear in :v
I don't do the Facebook. I have friends actually ridicule me in public for this. "Haw haw, you backward idiot" is the least of it. I contend that Facebook and Twitter contribute to the bizarre ADD thin skinned butthurt world we've become. People can't converse and agree to disagree anymore. Extreme emotion is the rule of the day because in the end WHATEVER gets one attention is good because it validates one's self. And don't even get me started on passive/aggressive.

I don't care about any of that.

I don't post that much anymore because so little is of interest to me. Some seem to make it a career to try and slam me when I do post just for the sake of some odd form of 'counting coup'. I don't care. Not gonna drive me off. I have too much love and respect for this place, and yes, the people. Most of them.

And that's my real name up there. :)
Dude Facebook and twitter are just as rife with nasty lulz and Internet drama as any forum. No one here is retreating to a sanctum, but when your forum is becoming 70% reposting blog posts it's a bad sign.

I just don't like it when respected members of the toy and anime community do the same shifting of goal posts and back peddling of any other Internet newbie

Microbry can tell you about the shenanigans in the Votoms FB group :v

All while I'm trying to post comics of moe Fyana trying to stop Chirico dancing like a weirdo while Gotho is being awesome
Steve, here's what it's about. People use Facebook and Twitter because their friends use them. If a significant number of people use a social network, and the people you want to talk to check it regularly, then it automatically becomes the most reliable and convenient method of communication. It's not inherently different from email or messageboards or instant messaging - it's a tool that's roughly equivocal to any of those.

I think your comments about Facebook might make sense if they came from some personal experience. If your friends had cajoled you into joining FB, and then you found that kind of atmosphere that you describe among them, or something like that. But you don't seem to be saying that. You seem to be saying that you BELIEVE that social networking websites foster an inherently skewed or damaged form of interpersonal interaction, and I don't see any basis for that claim.`

Personally, I've rarely found that someone I get along with in real life was impossible to deal with online. In the few cases that I've struck up an online friendship with someone who turned out to be prickly and dramatic to the point of intolerability, I unfriended them, or stopped replying to their posts, or ignored their replies to me. It's just as easy as dealing with other human beings in real life... if not easier, because you've got all these mechanisms that enable you to step away from a problematic interaction.

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
VF5SS Wrote:
> ...but when your
> forum is becoming 70% reposting blog posts it's a
> bad sign.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I simply don't have the time or desire to sift through dozens of blogs and other news sites, so I come here as my default JP toy news aggregator (and soapbox!).

I'm not necessarily saying it's better or worse than facebook, but it has it's place, and I definitely see a great deal of value in it. As for Facebook itself, I have ZERO desire at this time to use that crap. My social life needs no enriching, I make time for my friends and loved ones just fine, and in fact, I can't count the number of times I've heard friends complain about dumb Facebook shenanigans.

For those who get real value out of it (that they could not have gotten as efficiently or at all otherwise), great. That's cool. But it's just not for me. At this time. (Hey, shit changes--a few years ago, I said I'd never text message or buy a smartphone...yet here I am, on the shitter, Swyping from my Android!)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> VF5SS Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ...but when your
> > forum is becoming 70% reposting blog posts it's
> a
> > bad sign.
>
> I'm not sure I agree with this. I simply don't
> have the time or desire to sift through dozens of
> blogs and other news sites, so I come here as my
> default JP toy news aggregator (and soapbox!).
>
> I'm not necessarily saying it's better or worse
> than facebook, but it has it's place, and I
> definitely see a great deal of value in it. As for
> Facebook itself, I have ZERO desire at this time
> to use that crap. My social life needs no
> enriching, I make time for my friends and loved
> ones just fine, and in fact, I can't count the
> number of times I've heard friends complain about
> dumb Facebook shenanigans.
>
> For those who get real value out of it (that they
> could not have gotten as efficiently or at all
> otherwise), great. That's cool. But it's just not
> for me. At this time. (Hey, shit changes--a few
> years ago, I said I'd never text message or buy a
> smartphone...yet here I am, on the shitter,
> Swyping from my Android!)

I do all my best smartphoning on the shitter as well. It is probably the single greatest thing to happen to my social productivity.

[prometheusrising.net]
so

you just like TBDX more out of habit amirite

Cuz I could set up your FB page to allow maximum hermittude without losing functionality
Andrew has a point... at this point, FB does all of the things TBDX does in an easier and more streamlined fashion. Post pics and links, discuss each pic/link. Quicker interface, mobile support, and increased levels of security/customizability if need be.

[prometheusrising.net]
A large point of value for Facebook and Twitter to me is that I don't necessarily KNOW which of my friends will be interested in something. I can post some thoughts about something I read or watched, a photo of something I bought, etc, and see if anyone cares. With topics that I would like to discuss with someone, but which are relatively unimportant in general, it's a lot more sensible to just post about them than chatting up several friends sequentially to see if anyone cares. I don't know all of my friends well enough to judge their interest in any given arbitrary topic, and this goes double for acquaintances, who I might like a lot, but who I'm not close enough with that I feel at liberty to pester them about any little thing that strikes my fancy.

The "open" nature of social-network-site interactions is something I find very helpful in keeping up with a wider variety of people. There are certainly many friends, even family members, who I interact with on Facebook frequently, who I'd otherwise only see or talk to once or twice a year. Without this kind of arbitrary connection, we'd probably lose touch more easily - it would be incumbent upon us to call, email or instant message on a regular basis to keep up - and that can be an imposition, when one person is busier than the other. But with Facebook, we can just check at any time what the other is up to, and jump in whenever it's something of interest. The communication can be asymmetric or inconstant, but it's efficient - when used sensibly, it can really ease the burden of not having time for everyone you'd like to keep up with.

-Paul Segal

I find it funny that a thread about leaving has drummed up more discussion than any other thread in weeks. It's also interesting to note that more TBDXers post on FB consistently than here. Like Ben said, smart phones make the difference. There is absolutely no reason why TBDX doesn't have a FB group. Making it easier for members to post while on the go will guarantee more traffic.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, there *was* that ning site Alen set up a while back that we tried out for a bit. Guess that didn't last very long...

But anyway, I certainly recognize the value of something like facebook--and like I said, someday you may see my ass on there (very likely literally as well as figuratively--I'm a scandalous motherfucker). I'm just not there yet.

That said, a number of my friends have actually quit facebook and deleted their accounts. And agree or disagree, it's essentially because of the things SteveH mentioned above: some people just get netballs as big as SUVs and like to pop shit about whatever the fuck they feel like...with absolutely no sense of accountability.

You think discussions on TBDX can get heated/whiny/self-absorbed/whatever? Sure, no place is perfect. But you've probably noticed that TBDX is comparatively a scholarly haven compared to many other, more popular forums online. Why is that? Netballs. In bigger spaces, you often see a diffusion of responsibility...so not only will there be more of a "vocal minority" (read: jackasses) due to the greater population, but the mid-level folks will be less apt to self-moderate as they do here. Less responsibility means less accountability...which means lower quality discussions. Now, apply that logic to facebook, the biggest space around. Yikes.

Whether you agree or not, it is what it is, and some of my friends who'd complain to me offline about annoying arguments they've gotten into on facebook have ultimately quit because of it. That's real.

Either way, I really find it fascinating how advances in technology affect culture and human interaction...
Agreed on the Facebook stuff in both directions. I've seen it foster relationships that otherwise flounder. I've also seen it be a place where nutters decide to spout off and start flame wars that divide friends. It's a tool like any other and must be used wisely. I don't, for example, say I will never use a hammer because of their occasional uses as murder weapons.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> someday you may see my ass on there (very likely
> literally as well as figuratively

I LOOK FORWARD TO IT.

> In bigger spaces, you often see a diffusion of
> responsibility...so not only will there be more of a
> "vocal minority" (read: jackasses) due to the greater
> population, but the mid-level folks will be less apt
> to self-moderate as they do here. Less responsibility
> means less accountability...which means lower quality
> discussions. Now, apply that logic to facebook,
> the biggest space around. Yikes.

But the pool of users a single Facebook user interacts with isn't the complete pool of users - it's largely self-selected. If your friends aren't assholes, and your friends' friends mostly aren't assholes, then all you really have to do is block any friend-of-a-friend who you absolutely can't stand. The worst result of that is "ghost arguments", where the asshole is starting shit on a friend's post and all you can see is the exasperated reactions of non-assholes.

> Whether you agree or not, it is what it is, and
> some of my friends who'd complain to me offline
> about annoying arguments they've gotten into on
> facebook have ultimately quit because of it.
> That's real.

It seems more to do with the person than the community. Some people would rather stop using Facebook than unfriend family members who hate their guts but who would still be offended if they weren't "friends" anymore. Some people can't resist a good argument and need to detach from anyplace that gives them too many opportunities to get caught up in one. The settings FB has for what kind of posts you see and who you interact with are sophisticated enough now that the site really can be what you make it. Like any internet venue, you need to do a little work to filter out the shit.

-Paul Segal

By the way, I think it's strange and funny that Steve and Sanjeev largely object to Facebook because they think it's poor as a community, and that its methods of interaction make people into jerks or expose them to too many jerks... as opposed to more common complaints, like Facebook's frustrating interface, its obfuscated terms and inconvenient privacy options, and the fact that it's all just a big machine to make you look at advertisements (like most everything on the internet is now). The latter complaints are about things that are inherent to what Facebook is... the complaints we're discussing in this thread pertain more to a specific sample of FB users.

-Paul Segal

Yes, fb is a wonderful place....where else would I see the "incomprehensible banter to anyone not named Andrew or Paul" between Andrew and Paul and Ben talking about poop and models. Oh, wait....

And to all you twats (I use that term endearingly) who only seem to hear the death rattle of TBDX...fuck off (I use that endearingly, as well). As long as I draw breath (and I'm healthier now, fuckers, so I may be around a while), this site must exist in some form (even though it's not my site and I really have no control over keeping it up).

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
(and while I haven't put much thought into the details on how to do it, I keep thinking that I'd like a TBDX iPhone app.)

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
asterphage Wrote:
> ...then all you really have to do is block
> any friend-of-a-friend who you absolutely can't
> stand.

I really wish it were truly as simple as this...but I'm just not convinced.

Amazing coincidence: LITERALLY just minutes ago, I got into an argument with my girlfriend who'd just sent me some scathing remarks someone had posted on her..."wall"?...about how a few cunt Bruins fans called the Capitals player who scored the winning goal last night a n*gger. And that, according to the remarks, somehow made Boston more racist than New York City (though I'm not sure why NYC was involved AT ALL, seeing as how this was Boston versus Washington DC).

There I was...just minding my own fucking business--trying to get work done at my job--and NOT thinking about who's calling whom a n*gger now... Didn't even know the assclown who made the fucking post. Yet, here I am...pissed off because of irresponsible use of the internet. Surprise, surprise.

> It seems more to do with the person than the
> community.

Of course. But if there are just so many people using the shit irresponsibly, then why bother?? Matt's hammer analogy then seems too timid: it's more like a gun. Sure, in the right hands, a gun can be used effectively to defend oneself...but more often than not, they're used to kill people and commit crimes.

So at the end of the day, is the value I'm getting out of this tool worth the hassle of these proxy arguments that I'm inevitably bound to get dragged into? Hehe...and I realize that many existing facebook users complain about the ever-changing UI, cryptic privacy settings, deceptive advertising, and all that other shit...but I think for non users like me and SteveH, these broader, glaring social issues take precedence.

[Good gods, Steve and I are in agreement--someone get a fucking Polaroid!]
<<[Good gods, Steve and I are in agreement--someone get a fucking Polaroid!]>>

Because we know it wouldn't be instagram. ;)

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I must do something wrong, because I have never gotten into a 'Facebook argument'. I just post my personal brand of nonsense and interact with people I don't get to see any more from Jew camp and school and toy people. And talk about poop. I see the occasional baffling thing posted by some supposed peer of mine in whatever institution I currently reside that social norms deem I should be 'Friends' with because I see regularly, but those are transient events, and once the requisite period of niceness is up, I remove or curtail their access and then only get to see things I like or want to see.

[prometheusrising.net]
Well, really, THE most annoying thing for me on Facebook are the people who use FB mainly to just complain about FB. We have someone like that in the family, so while I can't "unfriend" him, I CAN block all his posts from showing up. It helps me not want to go off on him about how he uses FB to blast anything related to technology, how lousy our city is, how it would be best if everyone was a hunter-gatherer and wouldn't it be great if civilization just collapsed "finally." Others may share his sentiments, but I do not, and therefore he's blocked. I don't have to get into fights with him, and I don't have to deal with any of the drama.

More serious than thou
hillsy Wrote:
> Yes, fb is a wonderful place....where else would I
> see the "incomprehensible banter to anyone not
> named Andrew or Paul" between Andrew and Paul and
> Ben talking about poop and models. Oh, wait....

Hey it's not my fault that Andrew posts public posts and tags me in them instead of posting to my wall or just sending them to me in an IM or something.

Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> Amazing coincidence: LITERALLY just minutes ago, I
> got into an argument with my girlfriend who'd just
> sent me some scathing remarks someone had posted
> on her..."wall"?...

Truly an amazing coincidence that the guy who hates Facebook has a girlfriend who sends him Facebook drama while he's at work :3

I mean, does your GF need to be friends with that dude? Does he need to post incendiary shit on her wall? Does she need to notify you about it immediately?

None of this seems to have anything to do with Facebook, it's got everything to do with how specific people behave...

I'm with Ben on this. It's not a problem if you take a few simple steps that don't allow it to become a problem.

-Paul Segal

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer