New York Comic-Con [Updated with convention report]

Posted by asterphage 
I saw Ted T mention NYCC in the resin toy thread. I'm going too, three days. Who else is going?

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2011 10:41PM by asterphage.
I'll be there Friday. May still have energy to bring some friends for the Kaiju Big Battel that night over in Brook-a-lyn, at the Warsaw.

This reminds me, I gotta get on with working up a list of booth #s to hit. The show is getting more huge each year, and seems to be taking over the whole Javits Center.
Ah, I'm going all weekend, but I'll only be around in the evening on Friday, because I'm working during the day.

So, no one else going? Anyone? Vincent?

I need someone to take pictures of me in front of the twenty foot tall Optimus Prime statue!!

-Paul Segal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2011 06:52PM by asterphage.
>So, no one else going? Anyone? Vincent?

Just Saturday.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Okay, so here's my Comic-Con report:
[plus.google.com]

I'll be updating later with brief sorta-reviews of the new Makoto Shinkai film, and the new Tekken 3d animated movie.

Here are some pictures of me hanging out with various giant toys:
[picasaweb.google.com]
[picasaweb.google.com]
[picasaweb.google.com]

Here are some pictures of the Bandai Gundam model contest and other various items:
[picasaweb.google.com]

I took a bunch of pics of costumers, but of specific interest to you guys may be...
this Rev Raptor from Zoids:
[picasaweb.google.com]
back view:
[www.flickr.com]
and this Wild Tiger from Tiger & Bunny:
[picasaweb.google.com]
Do any of you guys watch that show? It seems like it would be right up many TBDXers' alleys.

I can't believe I missed this guy!

EDIT: Oh, and this guy dressed as Bat Commander of the Aquabats. Someone on this board must appreciate that.
[picasaweb.google.com]

-Paul Segal

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2011 11:02PM by asterphage.
Nice coverage Paul. I wish I'd seen that Gun Cannon guy too.
Sadly, with only being there Friday, I never made it upstairs to the Anime section. Didn't realize David White was up there with his new MechaZone books.
Going for the weekend pass next time, to be able to actually sit down! at some of the showings.

Seeing the prototype Voltron combined, and seperate Lions, at the Mattel cases was pretty cool. It's more impressive in person.

One of the few show specials I picked up was at the Hasbro camp. They had a waters-testing comic called "Unit:E" focused on a Micronaut Acroyear character rocketing to earth, to seek out the help of various heroes, who just happen to be a bunch of unrelated properties Hasbro holds ;o) (Jem& The Holograms, MASK, STretch Armstrong, CandyLand,TheActionMan, Battleship Galaxies, Primordia, etc,) . I'll have to hear Acroray's, and the other Micro crazie's thoughts on it. Was hoping another sort of Mironaut toy revival might be tested, but not one thing on display.
Nice write up and pics. A new Acroyear toy would be awesome. I just used my iphone for pics so they aren't that great but I did a write up with some pics. Got a shot of the Voltron display.

[rivetwar.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, isn't 3A supposed to be doing a new Acroyer toy? And isn't he supposed to be a bad guy!? There's no way Stretch Armstrong would side with a fiend like him! :P

Anyway, cool pics, Ted. Glad you got a chance to meet Matt Doughty. Yeah, he's a machine!
repairtechjon Wrote:
>
> Seeing the prototype Voltron combined, and
> seperate Lions, at the Mattel cases was pretty
> cool. It's more impressive in person.

Y'know, it is really big, and it's packed with action features, but the sculpt seems soft and lacking in detail given its size. My reaction when I saw it was that it would look pretty sharp at half the size, but it seemed insufficiently refined for such a big piece.

-Paul Segal

In the old Marvel Micronauts comics, the Acroyears were sorta like Klingons, a warrior race. One of them sided with Rann (Space Glider) and friends against the rest of the Acroyears, who were associated with the evil Baron Karza (Jeeg, but black and pointy).

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ah....thanks for clearing that up, Jeremy! I should probably get me those comics...
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ah....thanks for clearing that up, Jeremy! I
> should probably get me those comics...

The Micronauts run is SO cheap, and at least the first half is so fun!

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Yeah, there are even books that collect several comics in one book which is how I read the early stuff. Definitely fun and really nice Michael Golden art for a while.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Anonymous User
I posted some comments about the comic at my blog (Thanks, Jon!):

[acroray.blogspot.com]

If you want to read the entire comic, look here:

[www.megaupload.com]

Ginrai is generally correct about the Acroyears in the original Marvel comic. They were compelled to work for Karza. Their ruler (Price Acroyear) was then exiled and forced to fight in Karza's arenas, where he met Rann. Eventually, the Acroyears freed themselves from Karza and joined in the rebellion that brought Karza down the first time ...

Marvel's Micronauts comics can be had for pennies. There are nice glossy collected editions of the first Mantalo/Golden story arc which are a little more challenging to locate as cheaply. The Devil's Due comic was OK but died on the vine. Their KARZA mini-series, however, was outstanding IMO - in both story and artwork.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Thanks for the info, Ray. I never got into Micronauts growing up, so I'm just not sure how I feel about looking at Acroyers as heroes! :P

Anyway, I just read the comic...and I think "love letter" might be a bit of an exaggeration. I mean, it was nice to have a page featuring each property...but it wasn't like there was any interaction or anything...

But whatever...I didn't have any expectations. So it is what it is. There was supposed to be a Centurions easter egg in there...but I didn't catch it. Also, is "Primordia" supposed to be their revival of Battle Beasts?? That could be hot...
AcroRay Wrote:
> I posted some comments about the comic at my blog
> (Thanks, Jon!):
>
> [acroray.blogspot.com]
>
> If you want to read the entire comic, look here:
>
> [www.megaupload.com]
>
> Ginrai is generally correct about the Acroyears in
> the original Marvel comic. They were compelled to
> work for Karza. Their ruler (Price Acroyear) was
> then exiled and forced to fight in Karza's arenas,
> where he met Rann. Eventually, the Acroyears freed
> themselves from Karza and joined in the rebellion
> that brought Karza down the first time ...
>
> Marvel's Micronauts comics can be had for pennies.
> There are nice glossy collected editions of the
> first Mantalo/Golden story arc which are a little
> more challenging to locate as cheaply. The
> Devil's Due comic was OK but died on the vine.
> Their KARZA mini-series, however, was outstanding
> IMO - in both story and artwork.

Thanks Ray! I'm still chuckling about "Mari" Celeste. :)

Best, Ken-A
Anonymous User
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I just read the comic...and I think "love
> letter" might be a bit of an exaggeration.

Their words, not mine. I think that must just be marketing speak for "Proof of trade".
I guess the Centurions easter egg is nothing more than the space station nammed Skybolt. In centurions the space station is named Sky Vault but there is some kind of jet pack known as Skybolt. In fact I think that the "Unit/e" is a revival of the old Centurions line.

Primordia looks like more to be a Inhumanoids revival than a Battle Beasts one. But you can clearly see a Battle Beast rhino in one page.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ah, good call. Yeah, I figured the space station had to be something Centurions related (by process of elimination!), but the background they gave for Unit/e and the nature of Skybolt is SO fucking different from the Centurions base... Eh well.

And Primordia totally looks like Inhumanoids, now that you mention it. Maybe they ARE trying to blend it with Battle Beasts somehow...
Cool to hear thoughts on the Hasbro comic.

Have to admit, my first thoughs on reading it, were also to the tune of: "Huh? Acroyears = baddies. right?
But good to know more backstory info. The basic old Mego toy line was all I knew or paid attention to.

Also, Biotron. Wasn't expecting him to be sentient (let alone sarcastic) or drawn so small. The proportions of the big old toys, with the cockpit for a standard Micronaut, made me expect hugeness.

What they do with a stretchy toy, for Stretch Armstrong? Corn syrup revival ahoy!?

Besides all the new TF, and StarWars stuffages, the only vintage display presentation at the Hasbro camp, was "JEM And The Holograms" case. It was kinda cool to see a few ladies, who normally are the toy widows tagging along, get a kick out of seeing something for them. (NO Ben, not for you!) ;0p

As for MASK, to me it seems there are, and have been, a bunch of other toy lines with such similar, changeable vehicle ideas, that I wonder would bringing those toys back get much attention now?

Oh, and Forgotten realms toys? I don't remember toys before of Drizzit, and Guenhwyvar. Clint the Gordian panther could do a stand-in huh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2011 10:40PM by repairtechjon.
repairtechjon Wrote:
> Cool to hear thoughts on the Hasbro comic.
>
> Have to admit, my first thoughs on reading it,
> were also to the tune of: "Huh? Acroyears =
> baddies. right?
> But good to know more backstory info. The basic
> old Mego toy line was all I knew or paid attention
> to.
>
> Also, Biotron. Wasn't expecting him to be sentient
> (let alone sarcastic) or drawn so small. The
> proportions of the big old toys, with the cockpit
> for a standard Micronaut, made me expect
> hugeness.
>

Yeah, Biotron is kinda a twat in the old comic. I love him.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer