[ETIQUETTE] An Ebay Question

Posted by Gcrush 
I usually write about shitty buyers on Evilbay. This time I'm writing about a shitty seller. Don't let the switch-up fool you. I'm still just as pissed.

The Problem: I bought a loose figure at an aftermarket mark-up and paid around $10 shipping for it. When the box arrived, I was disappointed to see that it had been sent parcel post for $3 and the seller had shoved the figure inside a narrow package without any padding or protection at all. The figure and its parts were just floating around loose inside. Nothing was broken, but there are some paint rubs on it and it ain't really as minty-mint as the seller indicated. Looking at the relative value of the item and the cost of shipping, I think this was a shitty move by the seller. There's no excuse for not packing things better.

Mitigating Factors: I can't tell if the few paint rubs on the figure are from shelf-wear or shipping. I bought from this same dood about a year ago and things went off without a hitch (and that purchase was for an boxed item). The communication and service were so vastly different I wasn't even sure it was the same seller until I checked. And, as a regular seller myself, I hate it when buyers start bitching about a minor details in a transaction since Evilbay holds a gun to your wallet when it comes to making them happy again.

Damning Factors: But that's the reason why I go the distance to pack things well or at least spell out how sloppily I am going to ship them. New item? It goes in a well-packed box, often the same one it was originally shipped in. Loose figure? It might get wrapped up and put in a bubble mailer and if that's the case I spell it out in the auction. I usually give buyers a chance to upgrade shipping if they want, too.

The Question: I'm thinking I should write the seller and ask for a refund on shipping as writ below. Cool, or not cool?

"Hi! I received the item yesterday, but there's a problem. The item arrived without any packing material in a smooshed box that was way too narrow for it. While the figure is unbroken, it does have some paint rubs on it that might be the result of getting scuffed in shipping. Considering the level of service, the $10 shipping charge was unreasonable. I'd feel a lot better about the transaction if you'd refund the cost of shipping. Thanks for your consideration."
Sanjeev (Admin)
Definitely cool. As long as you're happy with the overall condition of the toy and are good with keeping it, your request for a partial refund is totally legit.

Anyway...sucks...
Complaining about being over-charged for shipping on a sloppily packed item seems perfectly reasonanble. If he refuses to refund at least $7.00 give him negative feedback. I don't understand what you're conflicted about.

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army
Unfortunately, EBay has evolved to the point where a buyer (or potential buyer) has to ask what $10 entitles him to in terms of shipping. I've taken to adding a specific note with payment via PayPal. Something like: 'can you please wrap item in bubble wrap or foam peanuts to prevent damage. If it's an item of significant value...hell, lay down the law. Provide step by step details for precision delivery.
As for requesting a shipping refund, Do It. A decent seller will note the $7 discrepancy and come clean. A good seller would'nt charge more than a buck or two over in the first place. Get your money back: it's called shipping AND handling for a reason.
I agree that asking for a refund is totally legit. It might actually help the seller to know what is going on with the shipping...Case in point. I once bought an item from a seller on the ebay (as my very southern Granddaddy calls it) who also happened to own a comic and collectible shop. I win the item send the $ and instructions on how to ship, he then hands off the responsibility of packing and shipping to one of his teenage employees (you know the kind that is about 35). The shipping was going to be expensive but I didn't care if he packed it the way I wanted. Apparently the seller hands the employee the cash to take the item down to the local UPS store and ship it. Employee throws item into a box (no wrapping or peanuts or anything), pays for the cheapest shipping available, and pockets the extra cash. Needless to say the seller wouldn't have know if I hadn't contacted him to ask what was up. The employee looses his job (apparently this had happened before), I get a refund on the shipping and a little for the difference in condition of item, and the seller (in addition to learning a lesson) didn't get negative feedback...Just don't be a jerk about anything and it should be all cool...
Scopedog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand what you're conflicted about.

It's the karma. I wanted to ensure that I wasn't overreacting or being unreasonable in my expectations. I've had buyers complain about things that were totally out of my control and it frustrated me to no end.

fel9 Wrote:
> I agree that asking for a refund is totally legit.
> It might actually help the seller to know what is
> going on with the shipping...

It's interesting you mention this. So I sent the seller my complaint pretty much exactly was worded above. He made good with a speedy refund on the shipping charge AND alluded to someone else having packed and shipped the item for him. I replied with appropriate thanks and told him he might want to follow-up on the person shipping his stuff since they didn't use any packing materials or protection in an undersized box.
Gcrush: I wonder if it is the same seller....Hmmm interesting indeed...pm me his name if you don't mind...

Hey at least you got your money back...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Shitty seller du jour...

I go to eBay to buy a superhero toy that ostensibly sucks. I can't be bothered, so I BIN the cheapest MOC I find...as there are billions available, only varying by a couple bucks. The seller writes back later in the day:

"THE ORIGINAL BUYER OF THIS ITEM LEFT ME A NEGATIVE FEEDBACK BECAUSE I WOULDN'T SHIP IT TO HAWAII.IT STATED ON THE AUCTION I ONLY SHIP INSIDE THE UNITED SATES BUT EVEN WITH THAT SAID EBAY WILL NOT REMOVE THE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK WHICH CLEARLY STATES THAT I WAS IN THE RIGHT.I AM GOING TO SEND THE ITEM TO THEM AND THEN THEY WILL REMOVE THE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK ON MY ACCOUNT.I ONLY HAVE 1 OF THESE FIGURES FOR SALE SO I CAN OFFER YOU A FULL REFUND OR I CAN TRY TO GET ANOTHER FOR YOU,I WILL LET YOU DECIDE.I AM SORRY ABOUT ALL THIS BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO."

(Absolutely no modification on my part...those CAPS are all his.)

I reply with:

"1) Hawaii is in the United States.

2) Stop typing in ALL CAPS.

3) Please refund my money."

Certainly not a huge deal, but it's just kinda funny having to deal with stuff like this. Figured it was worth a chuckle.
Well, clearly, Hawaii isn't within the UNITED SATES, which are delicious by the way:

Duh, Reverend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2012 11:35PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - sate-padang.jpg (92.3 KB)
I dunno. That clearly looks like an island with charred rocks from which a hot, sticky and potentially dangerous fluid is gushing. It even has some plant bits sticking out of it.

Exactly like Hawaii.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Mmmmmm...

UNITED SATES
Is it poor etiquette to dog your wife in a listing (first paragraph of description)?

[www.ebay.com]

And yeah, that true 1:18-scale Tomcat is gorgeous, if you have the room to put it somewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2012 02:37PM by gingaio.
gingaio Wrote:
> Is it poor etiquette to dog your wife in a listing
> (first paragraph of description)?
>
> [www.ebay.com]
> 84-Jolly-Rogers-1978-/221028539910?pt=UK_ToysGames
> _DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item33765
> 3de06

LOL.

>
> And yeah, that true 1:18-scale Tomcat is gorgeous,
> if you have the room to put it somewhere.

Just hang it from your ceiling.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer