Rock Em' Sock Em' Robots The Movie

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
I could have sworn we had a thread about this, but I can't find it. SOO excited for this. 3A is making toys, it's got Wolverine, and the robot designs aren't totally awful.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Prometheum5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could have sworn we had a thread about this, but
> I can't find it. SOO excited for this. 3A is
> making toys, it's got Wolverine, and the robot
> designs aren't totally awful.

Really...I haven't really paid much attention to the design work, but what I have seen has been very bright and shiny (and not in that Firefly sort of way...). As for the plot I like the original story from the twilight zone, but I am afraid that this version will have a disturbingly happy ending...

As for toys...the Jakks Pacific people have the action figure license. Their range has the obligatory two scales, the larger of which has swappable limbs. When I first saw these I thought they might be magnemo in function, (like the excellent megablock ironman figures), but alas this is not the case....As for the high end collector market 3A does in fact have the license and I have no doubt that what they come up with will be good...I just have doubts about the source material...

Anyway, here is a shot of some of the component pieces for the 3A version of one of the Rock'em Sock'em robots...
Attachments:
open | download - rs.jpg (222.9 KB)
MSW
Its based on a 1956 short story "Steel" by science fiction author Richard Matheson (who wrote I am Legend, among others).
The Twilight Zone episode is one of my favorites. It's basically the American sci-fi equivalent of hot-blooded determination :3 Lee Marvin really nails it with his performance. Plus the little effects they used on the boxers to make them look robotic is kind of neat.

This new movie looks really silly. Unless Hugh Jackman is screaming 90% of the time it won't be that great.
This movie holds no interest for me. Can't get behind anything in relation to their robots designs. They look pretty damn amateurish to my eye. Nothing in the trailer says "must watch" to me in terms of the story either. I'm a bad match for this kind of movie in the first place as I just don't enjoy too many "action" flicks since most of the time the stories are so lousy. Even so, this looks extra bad.

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
> This movie holds no interest for me. Can't get
> behind anything in relation to their robots
> designs. They look pretty damn amateurish to my
> eye.

I agree. The main robot, the "sparring bot" that they upgrade, has a likeable junky look to him, but the various adversary bots look stereotypical, like Samurai Jack monsters of the week. To some degree they make sense in terms of the sort of look competition robots would actually have - taking influence from Nascar, and 80s WWF costumes - but there's really not much to the designs beyond that.

I'm hoping the film will give some sense of what the rules are for robot fighting - the criteria for winning, the restrictions on building robots - because that seems necessary for us to actually believe they can build this 'bot into a champion through superior know-how alone.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
THE RULES FOR ROBOT FIGHTING ARE THAT ROBOTS MUST PUNCH AND KICK EACH OTHER! Why do you have to try and tart it up with all these questions??

[prometheusrising.net]
The first rule of Robot Fight Club is.....
The law is no jumping.
Years ago my friends and I spent an entire summer working on a robot to be on Robot Wars. We came up with "Toaster-Shock"...pretty much a toaster on wheels that had some bare wiring sticking out front which pumped electricity into the other bots, short-circuiting them.

It was going so well until we met up with HAMMERTRON 2000, which was pretty much a blatent rip-off of our rolling toaster design, with the exception of a large Ball-Pein hammer which jetted out further than our "shock web"...needless to say

WE GOT HAMMERED! LITERALLY...THEN FIGURATEVELY AS WELL.

3A toys has been busy...

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5: I saw those in the 3AVOX weekly newsletter, and like I said earlier I have no doubt that their toys will be nice. The question is who will buy them. Though I will admit that in all grey he looks pretty nice...
Depending on price, and how cheezy fun the movie turns out to be, I'd pick them up. Those are two big 'ifs', though.

[prometheusrising.net]
It appears to be a robot called Ambush although I wish it was an ABC Warrior.

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 03:41PM by Scopedog.
Attachments:
open | download - Real-Steel-Poster-Ambush.jpg (144.5 KB)
open | download - e-ambush-full-front-view-at-fan-expo-2011.JPG (128.7 KB)
open | download - h-ambush-full-back-view-at-fan-expo-2011.JPG (140.4 KB)
B00
Its all fun and games until the robots evolve to feel pain.....

Finally took a look at the cheap Real Steel toys in person. The larger ones kind of look like crap. The small figures are about as detailed, they have interchangeable limbs, a light-up gimmick and use of nicely contrasting translucent plastic even beyond the area their LEDs can illuminate. Not really sure what advantage the bigger figures are supposed to have, aside from size.

But here's what I'm really interested in, which I'm hoping one of you guys will know more about:
I saw a Real Steel "Build 'N' Battle Set" at Target, which comes with a carry case containing Atom, three extra sets of arms and one extra set of legs. What intrigued me was one set of arms in olive drab green with white stars. Are these from a whole military-styled robot design? And, is there a figure of that robot on the way?

Mediocre photos of the packaging here:
[www.toyark.com]

-Paul Segal

I really want to check out the little figs, but we're clogged up with TF DOTM Deluxes and Captain America here.

[prometheusrising.net]
It looks bad, but I know I'll watch it anyway.

It's hard to get excited about watching two robots "boxing"... It's like watching two guys ram bulldozers into each other.
Robaato D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It looks bad, but I know I'll watch it anyway.
>
> It's hard to get excited about watching two robots
> "boxing"... It's like watching two guys ram
> bulldozers into each other.

I would watch the hell out of a bulldozer demolition derby movie. Ask me how many times I've seen the remake Deathrace.

[prometheusrising.net]
Mel Brooks' "Life Stinks" culminates in a stop-motion duel between two construction cranes.

-Paul Segal

Ambush painted prototype by 3A. Looks incredible.

[prometheusrising.net]
So, just got back from Real Steel, and of man. Far better than it had any right to be, and I loved it. It's predictable, but oh so competent. In an industry dominated by AAA titles, you want to root for it as much as the main characters. Everyone involved really gave it their all, and the result is more than the sum of its parts. The writing has heart and is OK, and the action is great. Anyone who likes robots and solid films should enjoy it.

[prometheusrising.net]
My brother-in-law and I took the nephews to see this and, in agreement with Prometheum5's assessment, was indeed way better than it had any right to be. Was it high cinema...nope...was it robots hitting each other? Yep, and they were indeed pretty to look at, and isn't that what we all need sometime? I mean what can your truly hate about Robot on Robot Violence...well, other than Hugh Jackman...
So, for the naysayers who think this is just Rock'em Sock'em Robots the movie, it was just pointed out to me that it is actually based on the short story 'Steel' by Richard Matheson, author of such stories as 'I am Legend'. There's actually a 'Steel' Twighlight Zone episode, which I will have to track down. Actually, I should educate myself on TZ in general.

[prometheusrising.net]
Saw for the second time today, this time in cinema digital IMAX. The digital super-sound made it really pop, and pumped up the adrenaline in the action sequences. In a second viewing, the kid's acting falls a little short, but the whole package holds together really well. Going to watch the 'Steel' episode of Twilight Zone tomorrow, and am curious to see how that compares, as a closer adaptation of the original short story.

[prometheusrising.net]
Finally saw this tonight. What going out for a robot movie should be. Beautifully shot, not too complicated, or over-pixelated, and enjoyable.

The events of the original short story, you have to look at from the eye of the atomic age, mid 50s mind. In that story, the robawts are supposed to be super close to human, (fleshy)appearance, as to almost fool people.

Only a passing reference to "the old days" of the book event's time period, gets mentioned in the movie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer