[OKAWARA] Anyone know what this robot design is?

Posted by asterphage 
Obviously this is a Kunio Okawara illustration, but is it from an anime, or just one of the miscellaneous futuristic industrial designs that occasionally turn up in his art books?

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2011 07:27PM by asterphage.
Attachments:
open | download - 1315410219211.jpg (163.1 KB)
I have no idea where that pic is from, nor do I have anything to say about that dick sensor. But don't they teach mecha designers anything about basic cockpit safety? A well-placed cup of hot coffee from McDonalds would be enough to bring that thing down. Damn.

Something about the sensor on the hood, the lower legs, and fatty hips makes me think of Votoms. Did Okawara design anything for that franchise?
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> Did Okawara design anything for that franchise?

Yeah, most of it.

And Okawara even did some quite similar designs to this one, in the "Generation of AT" magazine feature, meant to be the earliest robot prototypes from the Votoms universe:
[www.mahq.net]
[www.mahq.net]
[www.mahq.net]
but that ain't one of them, unfortunately.

-Paul Segal

I'm thinking one of the recent Votoms offshoots. While I know the guy re-uses design elements all over the place check out the headrest and the control grips. That's a real VOTOMS vibe there.
The websites for Finder and Case Irvine just show the original two designs that we were shown for each series... the websites for Phantom Arc and Alone Again have a bunch of CG models of older designs, plus a new Berserga and some Erdspinne variants... but nothing like this. So unless you can actually connect it to one of the new Votoms projects, I'm gonna say it's probably not from them.

-Paul Segal

MSW
Maybe it's one of the early concept sketches for the Junior Mobile Suit from Zeta Gundam.
MSW Wrote:
> Maybe it's one of the early concept sketches for
> the Junior Mobile Suit from Zeta Gundam.

Maybe. Any idea what book those would be in?

-Paul Segal

MSW
asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Maybe. Any idea what book those would be in?

I have both volumes of Zeta Gundam Mechanical Editions art books, however they don't cover conceptual designs.

But they had this image in one of the books corners.

I assume its depicting Kamille atop his winning Jr. Mobile Suit design.
Attachments:
open | download - Other-JMS.jpg (244 KB)
Yeah, that's in the old editions of MS Encyclopedia, too, I believe. It's a great design, but a very different style - certainly fitting in with Fujita's designs from Zeta Gundam (and probably designed by him), rather than using any of the classic Okawara elements we see on that mystery robot.

I'm just gonna post some other civilian/"work" mobile suits here, 'cuz I have the pics and I like 'em.

from Gundam 0080, a "forklift"-armed variant of the Draken space colony civilian government mobile suit:
[www.recognizer.net]
Presumably designed by Yutaka Izubuchi.

from Gundam Wing, the "Industrial Work Use Mobile Suit",
[www.recognizer.net]
I have no idea who designed this, but my best guess is Junya Ishigaki. Could've been Katoki, though. The multi-jointed wrists/forearms look like a very Katoki touch, similar to the Gundam GP03S's unfolding arms or the block that hinges out of the V Gundam's arm.

and from Gundam Seed, the "power loader". Gotta love forklift arms:

This one could be by Okawara, or it may be by Junya Ishigaki.

-Paul Segal

Let's continue to celebrate Kunio Okawara. This Japanese blog provides several posts analyzing and comparing his designs for the original Mobile Suit Gundam, and the unused early production designs:
[ameblo.jp]
[ameblo.jp]
[ameblo.jp]

One of the highlights in that first post, in which the blogger seems to be inferring an influence on Okawara from Boris Vallejo's classic poster art for Barbarella, is this photo of Okawara, in classic 70s style, looking at the Vallejo art in a book:
[ameblo.jp]

All his posts on Mobile Suit Gundam can be found here:
[ameblo.jp]

And a shorter series of posts about specific mobile suit designs can be found with this search:
[search.ameba.jp]

-Paul Segal

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 08:44PM by asterphage.
[ameblo.jp]

dude's wicked chill
Another highlight is this mysterious variant of the Agguy from First Gundam.
[ameblo.jp]
I think this MIGHT be the Agguy redesign from Okawara's "Mobile Suit NEW" design project, which is featured in his Iron Works artbook, but I haven't got my copy of Iron Works on hand to check right now.

And this, which I believe is Yoshiyuki Tomino's sketch of the Big Zam:
[ameblo.jp]

rough design for the Z'gok:
[ameblo.jp]

lovely scan of one of the earliest Guncannon designs:
[ameblo.jp]

the 08th MS Team version of the F-type Zaku:
[ameblo.jp]
I've been looking for a high quality version of this art for years (the only place I've seen it before is a half-inch-tall thumbnail in the manual for the 1/144 RX-79[G] vs. MS-06J model kit two-pack) and by examining how happy it makes me that I've finally found this image, one could measure just how out of line my priorities are in comparison to a normal human.

-Paul Segal

That Acguy 'redesign' is like, just enough to justify selling you a new model kit, but hardly reinventing the wheel.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Well, yeah. Pretty typical of the period that gave us Okawara's "MS Collection" / "M-MSV", which is packed with minor augmentations of familiar machines. It's not the design itself that's interesting to me, it's that I have no idea where it's from.

-Paul Segal

Did someone order a DICKGUY?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 08:17PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - DICKRAMP.jpg (195.2 KB)
That's not a robot dick, you dick. That's just the cockpit access. It's necessary for easy access to the cockpit. Which is in the crotch.

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's not a robot dick, you dick. That's just the
> cockpit access. It's necessary for easy access to
> the cockpit. Which is in the crotch.

So... Does that make it a COCKGUY or an AKCROTCH?
[gundamguy.blogspot.com]

Okawara is at it again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer