[worry] Should I be worried about this?

Posted by leMel42 
Part I

NASA/JPL has a pretty cool site that calcs and digrams the orbits of solar system bodies.

Looking at the orbit diagram for (apollo, neo) 2005 YU55, one gets a rather disturbing result when setting the date to Nov 8, 2011.

Should I be worried about this?

[ssd.jpl.nasa.gov]
[neo.jpl.nasa.gov]

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army
crap!

animation of Nov 8 pass: [neo.jpl.nasa.gov]

Well, this guy's even closer (6/24/2028) 0.6 LD compared to 0.8 LD, though it pierces the equatorial plane a ways past.

[ssd.jpl.nasa.gov]

end Part I
MSW
Nothing to worry about. 0.8LD and even 0.6LD is still massive distance.

[www.youtube.com]
From that point of view I'd rather be worried about some idiots (read: the Chinese) wanting to move asteroids into Earth's orbit by nudging them in our direction so they can mine them.

[www.google.com]

Now really, what could possibly go wrong?!? /sarcasm

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From that point of view I'd rather be worried
> about some idiots (read: the Chinese) wanting to
> move asteroids into Earth's orbit by nudging them
> in our direction so they can mine them.
>
> [www.google.com]
> roid+mining&&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
>
> Now really, what could possibly go wrong?!?
> /sarcasm

Yeah, when I read about that I thought that for the first time recklessness on the part of others' non-military space ambitions could seriously harm us all. The Russian plan a few years back to unfold a giant mirror in space comes to mind. Something I bet we (Americans) thought we'd never have to consider. There was an SF story described to me about prisoners sent to mine the moon and send back payloads of minerals, and then they figured out how to aim the payloads at cities and held Earth hostage.

Oh, and regarding the Chinese plan, I expect full credit for not making the easy joke about [REDACTED].
Also, to be fair, European Space Agency has talked of similar ... [www.technologyreview.com]
LeMel: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer