Robot God Akamatsu: So this monster attacks Boston...

Posted by repairtechjon 
Saw comic artist Frankie B Washington post this up. Seems kinda cool.
[www.killingthegrizzly.com]

You Boston goofballs now have a super robot hero in tribute to the ForceFive gang, Voltron , etc.

Some moichundizing going on this page: [www.zazzle.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2011 04:49PM by repairtechjon.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Kinda odd how that introductory blog post doesn't actually say that this is a comic book. And a tad annoying that, while I can buy an RGA i-fucking-Pod cover, I can't buy the comic.

But anyway, this looks like it could be worth following...
"Kinda odd how that introductory blog post doesn't actually say that this is a comic book."

From what I'm reading, the creators definitely do NOT want this to just be a comicbook property, though, yeah, that's where it's at for now. They're putting it out there for development in all media.

As to the purchasing, hopefully some details follow soon, cuz I'd like to check it out.

Some may know already , but Frankie B Washington contributed some really cool work to the compilation artbook "Voltron- United & Drawn" [store.voltron.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2011 12:16AM by repairtechjon.
Sanjeev (Admin)
So...this is like a kickstarter pitch? :P

Nah, I gotchu...I guess. I'm still holding out for an actual comic book I can buy and read. As for Frankie Washington, anyone from the Bean and drawing shit like this is more than OK in my book!

mcfitch (Admin)
Who is this guy and why don't we know him?
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
That's kinda what I was thinking. He's got similar drawings of all the Force Five and Shogun Warriors robots. Might be worth a little cyber-stalking... ;)
One of us... one of us...

(Or, 'one of you...' as the case may be. Massholes.)

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Well hello thread I'm really loving the fact that Jonathan started this thread. I'll have to get James over here as well. Because the comments are awesome and your questions are valid.

The RGA comic book - We are being represented by the Killing The Grizzly, me and James originally were looking to sign a deal with a comic book company last year called Isaki - Out of Maine and things seemed great, until the owner flaked on us. It was a huge blow to us but we decided to get agents to do the running around and we focus on making the material.

I'm a freelance Illustrator and James is an art director at a large ad agency in Boston and 2011 has been an insanely busy year for the both of us. If your a sketch card collector you know that I just did a ton of cards for Upper Decks Marvel card line and also worked on a comic book for Penny Dreadful.

Me and James have decided to put RGA up on line but on our own website, which James is working on. Our reps are currently shopping the overall concept as a animated series/film and we had to do a ton of materials for the package.

We're really working hard to bring RGA out to everyone and the Zazzle Store is a away to keep the fascination for it alive and provoke talk for the property. Once the website is live you guys will definitely here about - no doubt.

If your interested in seeing more of my artwork you can view my galleries here :
[www.frankiebwashington.com] and here : [picasaweb.google.com]

i just emailed James and told him to get his butt over here as well ;)

[www.facebook.com]
[www.zazzle.com]
[www.frankiebwashington.com]
[www.joggingwithllamas.blogspot.com]
josh fraser (Moderator)
Think you guys should come to the toy Summit on Aug 20 if you can make it. ;-)
Here's a Robot God Akamatsu sketch card I just did for the 5Finity : March Of Dimes charity event. I'll post when my cards come up on EBAY- I only did this one of RGA so it's the only official card (for now) ;)

[www.facebook.com]
[www.zazzle.com]
Attachments:
open | download - RGABeASuperheroForBabies_CharityCards.jpg (83.9 KB)
Do you have stories/episode pitches? How many?
Yes, I'm actually up to Issue #4 with illustration duties. We've recently found a letterer and hope to have the story online very soon. Our reps have a pitch package for the animated version and currently shopping it around ;)

[www.facebook.com]
[www.zazzle.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Cool. I'm definitely looking forward to checking this book out when it becomes available.

And Frankie, not to keep plugging the Summit, but since you guys are looking to productize RGA in different ways, one little bit of food for thought is that there are gonna be a bunch of independent toy makers attending. Could be interesting to see what RGA toy opportunities are available! ;)
We're definitely planning to be there ;)
What's this Penny Dreadful comic? For Shilling Shockers? I'd be down for checking that out if you've got some you can bring.

"There's no Bigfoot in The Awakening." -James Bickert
Penny Dreadful is going to be released this fall- so I don't have any copies of the book yet. I'm very happy on how the artwork came out and James is really helping me out with lettering the pages. James also did the covers for Transformers : Bots Of Honor : [www.facebook.com]
I also did the artwork on the BotCon exclusive ShatteredGlass Ravage trading card :[picasaweb.google.com] Only available at the con.
We are two very busy guys and loving it ;)
Well someone was kind enough to take a photo of himself with 2 of the Robot God Posters he ordered from our zazzle store : [www.zazzle.com]
Here's the images : [www.facebook.com]
Nice interview article there. I've only recently started picking up a few sketch cards at toy shows/cons from guest artists, and didn't realize it got to be such a big thing. Nice way to collect some affordable art.

As to RGA, I'm content to wait for story details in the comic, but..if not a spoiler, are those robo-reptile/seacreature components I'm seeing on the robot itself? And roughly what's the size of this bot? Standard-ish 50-90ft. super robot size?
Yep sketch cards are pretty big and some cards have sold for over a grand- I kid you not. There was a Transformer set that came out but I missed that train but I did work on a botcon exclusive card that was done by Fun Publication. I really hope some decides to do a new set of Transformer cards or better yet Super Robot Set ;)

RGA in a rough estimate is about 350-400 feet tall closer to the height of Godzilla in Godzilla 2000. Though I will admit that I tend to take artistic liberty with it for (ahem) dramatic effect LOL

His components are called :

1) Sky Bird One
2) Sea Serpent Two
3) Land Cat Three

I wanted them to have some animalistic qualities to the mechs but not as apparent like GoLion/Voltron.

[www.facebook.com]
[www.zazzle.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I just read that interview, as well...good shit, man. Did you actually grow up here in the Bean? I think that (and age) make a big difference on what influences people in their adulthood.

I'ma have to spend more time on blacksci-fi.com...some of us have been having good offline conversations about Neal Stephenson, Octavia Butler, and others who's been trying to create futures where stuff ain't so lily. ;)

Anyway, keep thinking RGA toys, man!
Yep, I'm a Boston boy- I grew up in JP and have lived in most of the areas of the city in some point of my life. The greatest memory I have is mom taking me to Mr. Big Toy Land on Moody Street, Waltham. I of course wanted the Godaikins but that was too much money at the time so my first die-cast robot was Daitarn and I was pissed because he wasn't a bot on Force Five - LOL
Marvels Shogun Warriors & Godzilla series are a huge influence on how I want RGA to come across. James is the Transformer addict (I love the G1 and Beast Wars) but I'm not as knowledgeable as he is. His writing brings a lot of that feel to the story- so it's an interesting collaboration ;)
Hey everyone we've just uploaded our new promo vid for Robot God Akamatsu - check it out : [www.youtube.com]

We look forward to seeing many of you at the East Coast Summit -tomorrow :)

[www.facebook.com]
[www.zazzle.com]
Sketch Card Back :

James Puzzle Card :

If your interested in a commission- my rates for sketch cards are here :

[www.facebook.com]
[www.zazzle.com]
fbwash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
<snip>
> James Puzzle Card :
> [lh5.googleusercontent.com]
>

Great. Thanks to Prometheum5's MLP thread I read "Bryphon" as "Brypony"... >_<

Although Bryphon does look slightly pony-like in your art (4 legs, horribly mutated pony...).

How big can these things be?

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
mcfitch (Admin)
These are about baseball/trading card sized. Frankie was generous enough to give me the leviatrion card. Thanks again man, it looks great.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt &quot;I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!&quot;
thomas Wrote:
> fbwash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > James Puzzle Card :
> >
> [lh5.googleusercontent.com]
> gbYlGghI/AAAAAAAAAWk/m5xwx_G75qA/s720/GemALonvsBry
> phonCard.jpg
> >
>
> Great. Thanks to Prometheum5's MLP thread I read
> "Bryphon" as "Brypony"... >_<
>
> Although Bryphon does look slightly pony-like in
> your art (4 legs, horribly mutated pony...).
>
> How big can these things be?

LMAO Brypony - I love it!!! Yeah I've never been a good calligrapher, so I passed on sign painting. But the name was a twist on the Gryphon and is actually a Dai- Kaiju, I created on the spur for James cards. I might play around with the character some more and you never know. He/She might make it into the series in some form of fashion.

I think that I mentioned above that RGA is about 300-400 feet tall - so most of the Dai-Kaiju's and Mech's will either range in height from 25 feet - 500 feet in height or length :)
mcfitch Wrote:
> These are about baseball/trading card sized.
> Frankie was generous enough to give me the
> leviatrion card. Thanks again man, it looks
> great.
> -Mason

Thanks Mason and your correct- sketch cards measure 2.5 x 3.5 original artwork. I've been working since 2009 with various card companies doing sketch cards which are inserted into the trading card packs. I did work on Upper Decks : Thor & Captain America Movie Card Sets/ Marvel Beginnings & Avengers Kree/Skrull War Card Sets. I also just did work on the King Kong Skull Island Set :
Dean Yeagle's Manga Mandy :

Concept Designs :
This is a March Of Dimes Charity Set that I did cards for :

I also worked on the Voltron card set that came out in 2010 and the Artbook that came out early this year...

And to top it off Fun Publication hired me to do some cards for their Shattered Glass Transformers set 2012 - They actually released one of my chase cards at Botcon 2011 (please note : I didn't color the card)

[www.facebook.com]
[www.zazzle.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
That super-deformed Ravage is pretty hot, Frankie!

Like Mason, I was hooked up with daikaiju Gorugon above. Heh, I was gonna take a pic and post it here, but Frankie already has. These are REALLY nice...and was an unexpected and generous gift!
You'll never guess who got the "Necrobeast" card. ;) Thanks, Frankie! Oh and I LOVE that Kong on the bottom left, with his face behind Skull Island.

"There's no Bigfoot in The Awakening." -James Bickert
Hey guys thanks and I'm so so happy you dug the sketch cards. I wish i was able to pump them out super fast but my cyborg arms have been back-ordered for years :)
I really want to get back to some commissions in September- so I hope to have new stuff to show.
If you haven't checked out the RGA page on Facebook then shame on you- Check it out and show some love for our mighty mecha ;)

[www.facebook.com]
[www.zazzle.com]
Heads up everyone : World Of Strange is selling Robot God Akamatsu t-shirt :

[worldofstrange.com]

[www.facebook.com]
[www.zazzle.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 10:22AM by fbwash.
Hey everyone, I did the artwork for the Shattered Glass Ravage and I have a few blank cards that I plan to do commission auctions for next week.

Here's some samples of my work on two of the cards - I used :)

This was given to my bud James Biggie :

This is my personal card to myself :D

Here's the Chase Card - I did.

The auction is up and running - check it out and bid
[cgi.ebay.com]

[www.facebook.com]
[www.zazzle.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Definitely need me an RGA shirt...

I know I should have grabbed all of them, but the one RGA poster I grabbed from the Summit was that one used in the shirt. SO good!
Well Sanjeev the shirts are only available thru World Of Strange online store - Maybe one day they'll hit the big time like Walmart LOL

Here's the Links

RGA merchandise is available now here : [www.zazzle.com]
World Of Strange : [worldofstrange.com]

If your a Transformer fan, I've started my auction for a commissioned Botcon sketch card (Super Rare) - They were only given out at the show and to artist who worked on the trading cards. I have a few, and really mean few so my auctions are one at a time. I really want to devote the time to the winning bidders card and my art table is already loaded with projects :)

Here's the auction : [www.ebay.com]

[www.facebook.com]
[www.zazzle.com]
Hey everyone, it's been almost 2 months since I've been in the forum. A lot of stuff has happened personally in my life. My wife's daughter whose eleven is now living with us. She decided that she wanted to and her mom and dad agreed. So I'm the stepdad now and learning the art of parenting to a tween girl...
And 2012 isn't even here yet. LOL

Me and James were invited as guest for 2012 Wizard World Philly as TEAM RGA : [www.wizardworldcomiccon.com]
We're both excited by this and hope that the show doesn't get cancelled.

We were also contacted by SavCon : [www.savcon.net] to attend yet we had to decline because of Philly. We did offer to do some artwork to help promote the show. I'm currently working a 12x18 poster print that will only be exclusive to the show :

Robot God Akamatsu vs Unicron

Prelim Sketch

Final Ink

Here's the next step as I apply colors :

Our RGA website is under development now and the web series is being edited and lettered even now.
We are both so happy to see that all our hard work is slowly bearing fruit and we feel strongly that RGA will make some form of impact when it drops in 2012.

The Facebook page is up and running and a great way to connect with us and see updates.

Here's to making things happen.

peace

Frankie B

[www.facebook.com]
[www.zazzle.com]
Looks pretty cool, Frankie!

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Thanks Ginrai- I'm happy how it came out and I look forward to wrapping this baby up :)

[www.facebook.com]
[www.zazzle.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
That is definitely hot! I love the way Unicron looks there. Honestly, I think the black and white final ink sketch is better than the color draft you posted...but that's just me. Anyway, thanks for the updates...definitely looking forward to more RGA!
He may go for the B/W and Colored version - fingers crossed.

I just wanted to let everyone know that new auctions are up :

Crystal has just listed auctions for the super rare "BotCon" sketch cards :
[www.ebay.com]

ARCEE - Not For Sale

THE FINAL BATTLE - Listed

GALVATRON - Listed

OPTIMUS PRIMAL : Puzzle Card 1 - Listed

MEGATRON : Puzzle Card 2 - Listed

[www.facebook.com]
[www.zazzle.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer