Super Robots on the Big Screen?

Posted by Supersentai 
Was wondering if anyone has heard anything credible regarding any big screen treatment of any of the big name Super Robots, namely Maziner Z?

I've heard over the years that vaious projects with big name producers and directors have been in the works, but here we are in 2011 with bupkis???

I thorougly enjoyed the UFO Robo Grendizer live-action teasers that were produced, but I'm talking about a full-blown $200 million plus production with international release.

Can't see how either a Mazinger or Grendizer movie wouldn't have maximum international earning potential, more than most properties that are already out there making big bucks with substandard films.

I know that "Voltron" is supposed to be coming along, but it looks a bit video-gamey to me and has thrown the source materials out the window from what I had read.
nothing will ever top Grendizer, Getter Robot G, Great Mazinger: Kessen! Daikaijuu

never
I guess I should clarify that I was looking for info primarily on live action versions.

I'm still not impressed by CGI animation, saw clips of the upcoming Gatchaman and can't differentiate it from the opening sequence from a video game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2011 12:31PM by Supersentai.
there's a live action tetsujin 28 movie you could check out
Did that live action Gaiking ever make it out? The trailer looked interesting.

But yeah....Grendizer, Getter Robot G, Great Mazinger: Kessen! Daikaijuu is tits.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
So far:

GAIKING movie still in the works? Haven't heard anything about it since that little teaser clip 2 years ago?

Voltron movie still in development (each time a Transformer movie breaks records, this gets talked about getting fast tracked).

Robotech movie still in development (see Voltron).

Mazinger Movie? (Remember 10-12 years ago, there was talk that James Cameron wanted to do this?)

Gatchaman CGI movie - DEAD

Star Blazers/Yamato movie - Japanese live action movie was successful - can an American version by on its way?
Oh, and LA T-28...pretty terrible.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Weren't there talks of a Micronauts movie?

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
you forgot there's a Rock Em Sock Em robots movie with Hugh Jackman
josh fraser (Moderator)
There is also a Rocklords movie directed by Del Toro ( since Mountains of madness got canned) staring Henry Rollins and Ozzy in 2014.
Bupkis?? I though this was a Yiddish free site...what next? No postings on yontif?
MSW
Back in the middle part of the 1980's I read an interview with some guy at ILM (must have been in Starlog). He stated that one of their jobs was to do SFX for a live-action version of ORGUSS! ...And that's the last I heard of it.
Some of the mechs in that Jackman movie looked a little G-Gundam-ish, one even had the semblance of Big-Fau.

Remember in the late 80's watching Liveman the first time around, then talking a buddy into seeing Robot Jox (Jocks were the pilots I guess) because there was no way it wouldn't at LEAST be as cool as a tv show's effects.

Soooooo wrooooonnngggggg...almost as bad as R.O.T.O.R.(not quite Robocop)...almost...
shut up Robot Jox is awesome

it has Alien Nation's Gary Graham
I cried into the popcorn...still ate it, but it was BITTER! That's the legacy of Robot Jox in a nutshell.
VF5SS just notified me that Guillermo del Toro's upcoming film "Pacific Rim" is totally just a faux super robot anime:
[www.slashfilm.com]

When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity’s resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes-a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi)-who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer