Nuttin' but Busou Shinki here

Posted by Vincent Z. 
If the way the artists draws is anything like the icons you used on 4chan, Vince, then DO. NOT. WANT.

(for the record, those icons are all underage girls with extremely exagerated and bulging breasts, ass and crotch....ewwwww.)
thomas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> (for the record, those icons are all underage
> girls with extremely exagerated and bulging
> breasts, ass and crotch....ewwwww.)

Icky for sure. Are they supposed to be blown up like a balloon or something?

More serious than thou
You think Busou Shinki are skinny?

Now THIS is skinny.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Attachments:
open | download - Black rock anorexic.jpg (40.9 KB)
So, actually it turns out that the Busou Shinki line is compatible with all sorts of crazy things. Their peg size is not quite as common in toys as the reliable Transformers 6mm peg, but it still shows up once in a while.

For example, here's a couple pictures of the 'Rabbit' shinki, Waffebunny, equipped with the weapon 'Boomix' - which hails from the Bakugan line of magnetic toys, of all places.

The ports used on the battle gear from that toy line match shinki peg sizes, so any of the bakugan weapons are usable, albeit that most of them are in primary colors that look very garish next to the detailed Busou Shinki look. Thankfully, this one came in tasteful black.

You'll have to forgive the awkward leotard/sukumizu she's wearing; Unfortunately I don't own a 'full bodysuit' body version for Waffebunny to wear. I'll have to pick one up some time so I can complete her proper 'special forces' look.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2011 08:02PM by MaidenLili.
Attachments:
open | download - Waffebunny-Boomix quarter.JPG (215.4 KB)
open | download - Waffebunny-Boomix facing.JPG (200.5 KB)
Haha, wow. That's exceptional. I have a bunch of recent Bakugan, but hadn't found anything yet that the weapons/jetpacks/etc really worked with.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
A combination with Amdriver and a custom.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Attachments:
open | download - 1312337106692.jpg (104.9 KB)
open | download - 1312337147626.jpg (110.9 KB)
open | download - 1312054442883.jpg (88.5 KB)
Erik Sjoen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RainBot Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sanjeev gurgled:
> >
> > "Of course race is an artificial (purely
> > sociological--not genetic) construct"
> >
> > Said by a fella with a genetically superior
> method
> > of dealing with UV rays... ;)
>
>
> Classic!! Sanjeev and I are like Ying and Yang,
> huh buddy?


We ain't the same "race", chum, at least I don't *think* so.
I ain't an expert on race, but it seems not many people are, despite the amount of smart people everywhere who claim with absurd certainty that "race" IS purely a social construct and others who claim that it is entirely genetic. I'm not sure which side of that argument will be considered the most dangerous when they got power. We'll have to wait for future historians to figure that out. I'm hoping and betting on the former example being the worst it gets. I really hope we don't go down that path again.

While I think that there are large aspects of "race" that are socially constructed and reinforced, they are based on arbitrary terms, such as your understandable assumption of skin colour.

I wonder how closely related we are genetically? When you are talking genetics, you have to talk on infinitesimal levels, but levels that certainly make a difference, such as yours and Sanjeev's melanin levels being better than mine at dealing with the sun. It is only important because people here are throwing around rash assumptions that need to be challenged.

Genetically, I'm a mash-up of of pasty-pinkish "Germanic" and British" folk, with a traceable, measureable history of sun avoidance. The above terms are in quotes because they are convenient for me to give you a general location of my genetic history. Large chunks of my father's early ancestry was saracen/italian!

You go suck up your rays, chum! I'll hide in the shade nursing my jealousy! :)
Anyhoo, I gotta get back to the safety of my darkened sun-free studio. I've been promising Sanjeev something for a looooooong time and I am way overdue.



Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2011 11:35AM by RainBot.
Vincent Z. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You think Busou Shinki are skinny?
>
> Now THIS is skinny.

Wow, that looks like a good base body for custom FSS Fatimas.

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> [toyboxdx.com]

YES!!!!


RainBot Wrote:
>
> [www.cbc.ca]

what the FUCK. I don't understand this at all. I have absolutely no idea how people could think that way.

> While I think that there are large aspects of
> "race" that are socially constructed and
> reinforced, they are based on arbitrary terms,
> such as your understandable assumption of skin
> colour.
>
> I wonder how closely related we are genetically?
> When you are talking genetics, you have to talk on
> infinitesimal levels, but levels that certainly
> make a difference, such as yours and Sanjeev's
> melanin levels being better than mine at dealing
> with the sun. It is only important because people
> here are throwing around rash assumptions that
> need to be challenged.

I think the point is that the socially constructed aspects of race are felt strongly by the majority of people of any race, consciously or unconsciously - whereas the people most strongly affected by the genetic aspects of race, such as disorders that one race happens to be more susceptible to, wouldn't generally see a distinction between this and the effect of a race-independent genetic disorder.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
I guess I missed how stereotypes of women in pop culture turned into race-based genetic diseases...but I'll say this: female Bludgeon FTW!!
Well, the problem with your melanin thing is I am half and half and my sister has dark skin and I have light skin. We have the same parents yet because we appear differently we're a different race? That's an excellent example of why race is ridiculous and a social construction.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I guess I missed how stereotypes of women in pop
> culture turned into race-based genetic
> diseases...

It snowballed from Dan Harmon's weird statement that the fundamental differences between men and women are bigger than the fundamental differences between races, and your point that the socially constructed differences between races are big enough that racially diverse viewpoints are as important as gender-diverse viewpoints.

And that absolutely bizarre CBC article. Seriously, did you read that?? What the hell!

> but I'll say this: female Bludgeon FTW!!

You should really check out the regular Busou Shinki Benio figure. She may not have Bludgeon's funky 70s color scheme (seriously, he looks like a disco-era shag carpeted living room) but she IS a female samurai in a skull mask.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
RainBot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
<snip>
> > > "Of course race is an artificial (purely
> > > sociological--not genetic) construct"
> > >
> > > Said by a fella with a genetically superior
> > method
> > > of dealing with UV rays... ;)
> >
This actually is a classical misconception that shows how far stereotypes can go. Sunburn is actually a major problem for people with dark skin, because it is less visible and people tend to notice how badly they are burned way too late.

[www.google.com]

The problem is so bad that in some African countries aid agencies apparently distribute sun milk for free...
Ginrai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, the problem with your melanin thing is I am
> half and half and my sister has dark skin and I
> have light skin. We have the same parents yet
> because we appear differently we're a different
> race? That's an excellent example of why race is
> ridiculous and a social construction.

Right. Which is exactly what I was saying in response to Erik's comment. I think you may be having a problem with word-rotting. Everybody hates the word "retarded" because it has been popularized as an insult. It was actually a very useful word, like "race" kind-of was.
The problem is that folks are saying that it is a social thing, as if making it a "social" thing transforms it into a quasi-mysitcal undefinable trait. That's about as useful as a blessing is to cancer.

The science behind all this needs to rely on facts. Melanin is one of a gazillion factors.
But you're right - previous and current views on race, its emotional baggage and the crazy definitions of it in the past are hampering much understanding.

But why is it so difficult to conceive of being a different "race" than your sister? Are you not a different "race" than your parents? If you are looking at genetic markers as a basis, you are certainly different. Culturally you are whatever you say you are.

Thomas said:

>"This actually is a classical misconception that shows how far stereotypes can go. Sunburn is actually a major problem for people with dark skin, because it is less visible and people tend to notice how badly they are burned way too late. "

I regret that you read into what I said so incorrectly. Perhaps I wasn't clear. Erik Sjoen is probably as pale as I am and can handle UV rays much better. It is a fact that there are skin types able to deal with sun exposure better. I said, above, that Erik's "race" is probably different from mine to illustrate the point you just brought up... but seriously, who *knows* what the heck race is? Skin colour is but one billionth of a part of determining what we are. So long as people are going to jumble a whole bunch of different people together under dubious terms such as "white" and "black" and "South Asian" one has to question it.

And that was my intent: it is ludicrous to say that race is PURELY a social thing. It is ludicrous to say that the old concepts of race is PURELY a geneteic thing.

It even becomes gray when you get to gender. The binary view of it is full of holes.

Now... my responses to the initial derailing statements are complete... back to Busou Shinki... I love the Benio figure. I haven't unpacked it yet from a move a few years back... and to find that the thing is compatible with the AMDrivers is amazing.

One thing that tends to Grind my Gears, as mentioned by others previously, is the continuous addition of "pop-feminine" traits, like high heels (the bane of female figure design) and in Benio's case, garters. I honestly didn't notice them at first or I might have passed on the figure.

Not because I reject these traits - they are just as valid as, say, having Wonder Woman running around in a bathing suit and go-go boots.

I just like the Hot Toys Deunan Knute figure as a competent realistic fighter, and her uniform is the same as the other two male figures, only conforming to her body. High Heel shoes or garters or any other kind of overt intended "fetishization" would totally change that appeal for me.
Sanjeev (Admin)
RainBot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And that was my intent: it is ludicrous to say
> that race is PURELY a social thing. It is
> ludicrous to say that the old concepts of race is
> PURELY a geneteic thing.

But I thought that was the point of a lot of the debate right now. Some biological scientists say that there is no genetic (thus, physiological in any way) basis for race simply because the average "black" man has as much in common, genetically, with the average "white" man as he does with another (unrelated) black man. Stuff like skin color, hair texture, shape of facial features, etc., are all just superficial traits with as much weight to one's whole genome as whether the bottom of your ear lobe is detached or free, whether your "index finger" toe is longer than your big toe, whether you have hair on the middle segment of your fingers, and other traits not associated with "race".

On the other hand, some biological scientists disagree. Until further mapping of the genome takes place, it's gonna be tough to prove it either way. But when that *does* happen, the answer will be pretty obvious.

But finally, I think the main point is that most social scientists don't give a fuck. Genetics = semantics. Clearly, there's a historical reality to "race", whether it's a physiological construct or a social one. Once the genome gets mapped further and the question of race's biological reality is put to rest, on way or another, I don't think it's gonna mean shit to anyone.


> High Heel shoes or garters
> or any other kind of overt intended
> "fetishization" would totally change that appeal
> for me.

Amen.
Can we have the feminism analysis a separate thread from actually talk about Busou Shinki? I'd like to enjoy a thread about AN AWESOME FUN TOYLINE without seeing WALLS OF TEXT of psychoanalytical babbling. Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RainBot Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And that was my intent: it is ludicrous to say
> > that race is PURELY a social thing. It is
> > ludicrous to say that the old concepts of race
> is
> > PURELY a geneteic thing.
>
> But I thought that was the point of a lot of the
> debate right now. Some biological scientists say
> that there is no genetic (thus, physiological in
> any way) basis for race simply because the average
> "black" man has as much in common, genetically,
> with the average "white" man as he does with
> another (unrelated) black man. Stuff like skin
> color, hair texture, shape of facial features,
> etc., are all just superficial traits with as much
> weight to one's whole genome as whether the bottom
> of your ear lobe is detached or free, whether your
> "index finger" toe is longer than your big toe,
> whether you have hair on the middle segment of
> your fingers, and other traits not associated with
> "race".
>
> On the other hand, some biological scientists
> disagree. Until further mapping of the genome
> takes place, it's gonna be tough to prove it
> either way. But when that *does* happen, the
> answer will be pretty obvious.
>
The thing is, behaviour (and phenotype and genotype...well anything that involves living creatures) is usually a mash-up that has both genetical and environmental causes, and it's really hard, if not impossible to determine how they interact, simply because there are way too many factors that could be important. So yeah, that puts me, as a biologist, in the first class of scientists.

The second class...annoys me. They usually are the same people that, in a paper on how a certain genetic or physiological mechanism works and how it is very similar to or the same as in pigs/labrats/monkeys, put in a claim that there should be something special that is yet undiscovered that makes the human variant different ("one of a kind") from the non-human variant. Science is supposed to be as unbiased as possible, people should not add their own crooked beliefs or prejudices to it just because the results they get are offending them on a certain level.
Or perhaps they ought to have chosen another profession...

> But finally, I think the main point is that most
> social scientists don't give a fuck. Genetics =
> semantics. Clearly, there's a historical reality
> to "race", whether it's a physiological construct
> or a social one. Once the genome gets mapped
> further and the question of race's biological
> reality is put to rest, on way or another, I don't
> think it's gonna mean shit to anyone.
>
I think "race" is a construct aiming at setting apart people because certain aspects of their culture are not appreciated. So people think certain cultures are backwards and then try to find biological causes that are unique to a certain group of people.
The main problem is that they usually only focus their research on the groups they dislike, and ignore evidence that contradicts them, or actively act against any attempt of researching the same subject in their own population.

That said, there are certain diseases that mostly only occur in particular cultures (e.g. Kuru: [en.wikipedia.org]), but those can usually be tracked to certain genetic factors that evolved over a long time under influence of environmental factors, like (the lack of) certain food types. However, they are not enough to make something a "race".


@Vincent: No. It is an interesting discussion.
> High Heel shoes or garters or any other kind of overt intended
> "fetishization" would totally change that appeal for me.

You know, ironically I actually tolerate, and sometimes even appreciate, that sort of thing in figures, particularly in very clearly fantasy-themed lines like Busou Shinki. I agree that it would be out of whack for a practical, military-type gal like Deunan to be sporting the sort of 'boob-shaped plate armour' that seems to plague so many female character designs in otherwise fairly serious franchises these days, but for figure lines and franchises that are clearly at least partially about cute girls with nice bodies? Why shouldn't they have some rather suggestive elements?

A while ago there was a thread around here entitled something like 'Girls and Food', featuring an array of pictures ranging from (sometimes rather cute) pictures of women eating, to women in various states of undress and suggestiveness with some kind of edible material on/in/near their bodies. If anything, I found the content of that thread more awkward and creepy than fetishization in fantasy characters, although I think I'll need to think more and make a second post to coherently formulate exactly why that is.

> Can we have the feminism analysis a separate thread from actually talk about Busou Shinki?

I'm enjoying this discussion as well, but there is a certain logic to splitting the thread up. There seems to be around three overall topics (Busou Shinki toys, depictions of women, and race/gender/etc. as social constructs vs. as biological or natural categories), and while all three are definitely related it's getting hard to follow the thread sometimes. I don't think it's clearly a necessity to split it up since the toys as a topic do provide nice example pieces and references, but on the other hand I have begun to feel a bit 'out of place' posting up pics to show off shinki toy features and such.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2011 09:23PM by MaidenLili.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Okay, I'm not gonna hack apart this thread and merge the fragments back together...'cause that will LITERALLY take all day!

I'll start a new thread about the Myth of the Female Action Hero. We can keep this thread purely Busou Shinki. And if someone else wants to start up the race/gender as social constructs vs. biological discussion as a separate topic, they can do so.
Thanks Sanjeev!

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Not going to split off a new race and gender thread for this, because I just have one brief comment and then I'm done.

RainBot Wrote:
>
> But why is it so difficult to conceive of being a
> different "race" than your sister? Are you not a
> different "race" than your parents? If you are
> looking at genetic markers as a basis, you are
> certainly different. Culturally you are whatever
> you say you are.

Actually, I think that more commonly you're whatever race OTHER people say you are.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2011 02:28PM by asterphage.
Seems a shame to let this thread eat it after going to the trouble of splitting it off. That, and I'm still happy I can now post my shinki to this board.

After seeing that Bisar combination that Vincent posted, I got the itch to go and finish figuring out how to get the Storm Bisar that I've got onto one of my girls. The results are attached, making fairly extensive use of the generic connector pieces that every set comes with and also bringing in some weapons from the 'Firearm-type' Zelnograd in addition the Waffebunny base from my previous pics.

It's not perfect, but I'm pleased that it worked at all and preserved the almost-two-modes thing that Bisars often seem to have. Maybe with a couple more connectors I can get those smaller wing attachments to function as the 'second arm' things that many Busou Shinki backpacks seem to feature.
Attachments:
open | download - Storm Bisar - Jetpack.JPG (239.7 KB)
open | download - Storm Bisar - Armour.JPG (220.6 KB)
Nice custom design MaidenLili.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
[www.youtube.com]

the shinki anime episode 1

arnval gets a hole shot in her boob

some crows try to eat her

life is pain
They did the same setup in Heroman where the main boy is unable to afford the toy everyone wants and find one broken.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
By adding one letter, the title of this thread becomes "Nuttin' 'bout Busou Shinki here"

I think that pretty much says it all.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
VF5SS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> the shinki anime episode 1
>
> arnval gets a hole shot in her boob
>
> some crows try to eat her
>
she gets molested by a teenage boy trying to grab her

> life is pain
[www.fg-site.net]

custom Skywarp and Thundercracker shinkis

[www.fg-site.net]

Ingram shinki

register for fg-site and find many wonders
I think this custom was made using a Macross F kit.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Attachments:
open | download - 1313844726096.jpg (223.9 KB)
open | download - 1313844928844.jpg (203.6 KB)
open | download - 1313845294080.jpg (232.8 KB)
open | download - 1313845634472.jpg (205.3 KB)
Mobilesuit girl Gundam figures.

[myfigurecollection.net]

[myfigurecollection.net]

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2011 04:19PM by Vincent Z..
I really like most of the Busou Shinki stuff, though I only own a couple. I follow the Flickr community in particular and love some of the posts there. There's certainly some interesting overlap with doll fans and I see a few female collectors there including at least one who makes and sells doll clothing specifically for Shinki.

The series launched right after Amdriver and made no secret from the start it was using the same parts system...I've seen some great builds over the years, and previously picked up a couple of Amdriver sets to try it out myself some.

Busou Shinki was an easy sell to me (if generally outside my current wallet and shelf space budget constraints), not only for its interchangeable parts and 1/1 scale (as a Microman and Angelic Layer fan) but also as I'm a longtime fan of Mika Akitaka (whom I've had the pleasure to meet twice--the second time by coincidence at 1999 Winter WonderFest, where he recognized me first, surprisingly), whose early MS Girls appeared during his work on ZZ Gundam (interestingly casting Kei and Yuri from the Dirty Pair in these), likely following in the "tradition" of the Valkyrie girls that recently had made the rounds in the early 80's while Macross was at its first peak of popularity. The Shinki series is clearly a successor to Akitaka's early mecha musume designs (and there have been articles and interviews on the subject).

The new Mika Akitaka Vic Viper Shinki sets are probably a must-have for me (well, at least one of them, I'm kind of broke right now), they are quite evocative of both his old MS Girl work as well as Galaxy Fraulein Yuna, a series of PC Engine games (and later Saturn/Playstation) in the mid-90's with a pair of OVA tie-ins.
Are we still allowed to talk about this

Here are some Shinkis opening Kinder Surprise candy eggs and playing with the toys inside

[imgur.com]

[www.flickr.com]

[ghostlysubstance.swgbex.com]

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Hm, I'll have to keep my Shinkis and Micros away from those Kinder Eggs. Actually there's some vintage ones that have some Microman knock-off figures in them (but much smaller) that are very cool. :D Fun mini-meme!

Personally in terms of Shinki photography, I usually am in awe with the works of photographer Sasaki2092: [www.flickr.com] If you go back through his archive, I think you'll understand why. There's something really compelling and even poetic about a lot of his shots, and the "character" of his customized Shinki really comes through over time. Seriously, this is one talented fan, and some of his work's inspired some of my own more recent outdoor toy photos. :)
Just...wow. Naoki Sasaki, who I mentioned above, has scratchbuilt a FUNCTIONAL old-timey accordian-lensed camera in slightly cheated (it looks a bit oversized to me) 1/12 scale for his shinki "companion" Sigure-chan to use. His pictures of it in action are pretty impressive so far. He hasn't used it yet to expose any miniature photos, but given he has his own darkroom setup, it's probably a matter of time. Check it out (look at some of the pictures in his photostream adjoining this one)!

[www.flickr.com]
INCREDIBLE! Forwarding this to all my friends who are into modeling or just love tiny things.

If you go back to June 15-19 in his photostream there are in-progress shots: showing a pinhole-camera effect in the scale bellows, testing the lens, and assembling the unpainted styrene frame with his Busou Shinki companion.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer