Nuttin' but Busou Shinki here

Posted by Vincent Z. 
gingaio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey, Mr. Crush, would you mind buying me a Burger
> Pussy for my birfday, or a Gundam Rx-105 Chicken
> Fried Cooter?

I already wrapped your Cone Snatcher and put it in the Male Box.
"It's like slapping tits on a Gundam"

VF5SS Wrote:
> "It's like slapping tits on a Gundam"
>
> [img.photobucket.com]
> nagundam.jpg

I knew this was coming.
Case in point: big tits.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Who here wants to see this mashed up with a B2 bomber?

Now that'd be HAWT. C'mon, Japan! Make it happen!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 09:41PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - monster9.jpg (29.1 KB)
>It's not about tits anyway, because they look like children ;)

>Can't they at least merge the planes with some 34DDDs?

Uh....

[www.hlj.com]

[www.hlj.com]

Also Busou Shinki was stared by Shimada Humikane (aka, the guy who designed Strike Witches and Sky Girls).

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 09:50PM by Vincent Z..
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> Uh....
>
> [www.hlj.com]
>
> [www.hlj.com]

Vince, teenage girls with big boobies are still teenage girls. Their enormous heads/eyes, stick limbs, and scrawny hips are still dead giveaways. Neoteny is not sexy.
all that hate is not moe, vince
Mika Akitaka. Started Mobile Suit girls back in the 80's. Still doing it today.

[www.hlj.com]

>Did some of the pervier elements in fandom maybe take something from the 80s and run with it? Yeah, but what we have now is not what existed in the 80s.

Different cultural value systems. Japan said no Jeebus here please.

Vincent Z. Wrote:
> Mika Akitaka. Started Mobile Suit girls back in
> the 80's. Still doing it today.
>
As I said, pervier elements. This book wasn't published until the mid-90s, and the toys that you're into weren't really popular back in the 80s (if they even existed at all).
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> Different cultural value systems.

You should really shut-the-fuck-up about cultural value systems. You're barely qualified to talk about the culture in which you live, let alone one on the other side of the planet and in a space you've never actually occupied. Listening to you talk about culture is like listening to Helen Keller read the daily sports recap off of CNN.com.

Stick with what you know and stop grasping for straws about morality. It says more about you than it does about the Moe Resistance.
[www.harkavagrant.com]

This is sort of relevant.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
Paul, I think that in trying to take a step back and be objective, you're missing some relevant detail in your logic. The basis of your argument seems to be a bit too liberal: it misses the grander ramifications of the entire topic existing within the context of sexist (anti-female) cultures.

Male action heroes, sexualized or not, exist to thrill parts of men's personalities (we kinda want to *be* these dudes). By dropping in a (suitably hot) female into such roles, the story-teller isn't trying to appeal to women in the same way...it's just MORE male fantasy.

Anyway, that said, I'm not all that bothered by the BS line. Then again, I've likely only seen a fraction of it. BUT...from what I *have* seen...there seems to be a LOT more diversity in the physical appearance of the female inside the armor bits than the physical appearance of your typical moe/loli characters these days.

They seem to run the gamut of "anime chick" tropes (including moe/loli types), but also different ages (though generally young) and different physical traits. That seems less pander-ific to me.

Still not interested in getting one, though. I'm a dude...and my toys are generally avatars through which my ego interacts with fictional worlds in ways I can't in real life. Or something like that. Tell 'em, G! ;)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Tell 'em, G! ;)

We might be on the same page, man. Things I like:

A) Naked Ladies.

B) Monsters.

C) Aliens.

D) Robots.

E) KA-BOOM!

Everything else is more or less superfluous. Mostly more.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Paul, I think that in trying to take a step back
> and be objective, you're missing some relevant
> detail in your logic. The basis of your argument
> seems to be a bit too liberal: it misses the
> grander ramifications of the entire topic existing
> within the context of sexist (anti-female)
> cultures.
>
> Male action heroes, sexualized or not, exist to
> thrill parts of men's personalities (we kinda want
> to *be* these dudes). By dropping in a (suitably
> hot) female into such roles, the story-teller
> isn't trying to appeal to women in the same
> way...it's just MORE male fantasy.

Oh, I agree it's male fantasy. Like I said, it's essentially a method of creating superficial appeal, not something that yields a more interesting character or a proper female role model. I just think there's a stratification of contemporary popular fiction, separating out female characters where the sexualization is subordinate to what the character actually does. You guys seem to disagree, in that you feel the sexuality is still overwhelming in the portrayal of almost all female heroes.

> BUT...from what I *have*
> seen...there seems to be a LOT more diversity in
> the physical appearance of the female inside the
> armor bits than the physical appearance of your
> typical moe/loli characters these days.
>
> They seem to run the gamut of "anime chick" tropes
> (including moe/loli types), but also different
> ages (though generally young) and different
> physical traits. That seems less pander-ific to
> me.

This statement is fascinating and shocking to me. As far as I recall, Busou Shinkis only have two different body types, which are different heights but all extremely skinny. The only unique parts on each figure (aside from removable armor, "clothing" and equipment) are the breasts and the head. They very much represent the character iconically, as opposed to something like Figmas which uniquely represent each character's physique - so it's really interesting that you read them as so diverse.

Gcrush Wrote:
>
> I meant the way her preternatural seductiveness
> was an essential part of her character. Everyone
> in the film is practically taken with her the
> moment they meet her. It's so overwhelming that
> we're even served up lesbian overtones.

This is interesting, but how would you distinguish between sexual attraction to the character and simply attraction to her behavior and identity? For instance, the parents of the family she meets are fascinated by her because she's a preteen living on her own. While I can accept reading a seductive component to her other interactions, I can't see one in her interaction with the parents - I take their reaction at face value.

Gcrush Wrote:
> Vincent Z. Wrote:
> >
> > [www.hlj.com]
> >
> > [www.hlj.com]
>
> Now THOSE toys are much closer to a de-sexualized
> ideal of women as warriors. Which probably
> explains their failure in the marketplace.

Damn, I forgot to mention this! Those are sort of an offshoot of a separate otaku fascination, the one that gave us all those trading figure lines of cute, innocently portrayed anime-style women in JSDF uniforms, and the illustrations in the back of Hobby Japan of anime-style woman soldiers training at the firing range and stuff like that. Some of this stuff is all about "cuteness" as opposed to "sexiness", but in my opinion other elements of it definitely express the appeal of the IDEA of a woman soldier.

gingaio Wrote:
>
> What I mean is it occurred to me toward the end of
> posting yesterday that what Paul was really asking
> for was a female equivalent to to the one-note
> male action hero archetype--an underdeveloped
> female action character figure who could be
> appreciated on the basis of being an action badass
> alone (without being pretty or sexual or
> whatever).
>
> That archetype doesn't really exist yet in our
> culture.

I think right now our mass culture is looking for it! It seems like the entertainment industry is reaching for something like that, seeing some appeal in the idea of a "pure" female action hero, as opposed to a sexy action lady.

Hey, what about Doomsday? Did any of y'all see that? The portrayal of the lead character was essentially Motoko Kusanagi with her clothes on.

-Paul Segal

>Vince, teenage girls with big boobies are still teenage girls. Their enormous heads/eyes, stick limbs, and scrawny hips are still dead giveaways. Neoteny is not sexy.

Em, fair enough.

These look more mature. Using the same type of joints as Busou Shinki but were a separate line.

[www.hlj.com]

[www.hlj.com]

Vincent Z. Wrote:
> These look more mature. Using the same type of
> joints as Busou Shinki but were a separate line.
>
> [www.hlj.com]
>
> [www.hlj.com]

Now THOSE toys are much closer to a de-sexualized ideal of women as warriors. Which probably explains their failure in the marketplace.

Paul - it occurred to me that the first Resident Evil did have a relatively uncharged female lead. What's-her-name, the character actress who always plays the borderline butch roles. Except, you know, they killed her off before the end and the subsequent films just added more sexpots to backup the main Alice character.
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> Now THOSE toys are much closer to a de-sexualized
> ideal of women as warriors. Which probably
> explains their failure in the marketplace.
>

Funny. I see those and think "Now if I saw real women dressed like that, I'd think they were pretty attractive. I don't need my girls to be wearing skin-tight or highly revealing clothing. Sometimes being covered up just shows off a body more than if explicitly revealed.

More serious than thou
we don't need male busou shinkis we already have saint seiya and microman

gender equality maintained~
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh man...Finishing the Game. I guess I *do* see an indy film every now and then!

Anyway, how about Ripley from the Alien(s) movies?
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Oh man...Finishing the Game. I guess I *do* see an
> indy film every now and then!
>
> Anyway, how about Ripley from the Alien(s) movies?

Aside from that glorious panty scene at the end of the first film, Ripley is very much de-sexualized. She's a maternal figure in many ways, but she's hardly ever a desirable object as a character. Not that I wouldn't jump on that, but that's more because of Ghostbusters ;)

[prometheusrising.net]
Rodriguez and Bassett were both supporting characters, though, weren't they? If our criteria is an action lead, then I got nothing. Well, except I haven't seen Burton's Alice. That said, I think there are examples of female lead characters in action films who are interesting characters--The Coens' version of True Grit featured a really cool female lead, in fact.

But Paul said "superficial" female action lead, and there really is no female equivalent to a schlocky b-movie stock male action hero, if that's what he was asking for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2011 01:36PM by gingaio.
Once could argue that the schlocky one note male action hero doesn't even exist anymore...

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
>Once could argue that the schlocky one note male action hero doesn't even exist anymore...

What about The Expendables? Also there's a Conan remake (why?).

> >Once could argue that the schlocky one note male
> action hero doesn't even exist anymore...
>
> What about The Expendables? Also there's a Conan
> remake (why?).

I could kiss you, Vinnie. A sound, reasoned response! I would toss in Machete, Clive Owen's sociopathic action stud in Shoot 'Em Up, any movie starring Jason Statham, the Rock (I'm a huge fan, sue me) in the GLORIOUS flick Rundown, etc., etc.

>I just think there's a stratification of contemporary popular fiction,
>separating out female characters where the sexualization is subordinate to what
>the character actually does. You guys seem to disagree, in that you feel the
>sexuality is still overwhelming in the portrayal of almost all female heroes.

It's not about "subordinate," Paul. I think the word we have in mind is "prerequisite." That is, for any popular action flick of video game, being attractive is a prerequisite for the leading lady, even if it's not emphasized or explicit or the dominant trait. This alone, as 'Jeev and Mr. Crush have pointed out, is inherently sexist. Or put rather simply, how well do you think a video game or movie starring Cyborg Santos would do?

This notion of a pure female action hero cannot exist until the lens through which we see the character is itself radically redefined. The subject's not the problem. The camera's broken. And the camera is your perspective, it's mine, it's everybody else's. It's gender norming. I mean, would you populate your shelf with BS toys featuring Cyborg Santos? But I'm sure you've had dog-faced male figures, right?

Or as Mr. Crush said, there are different values of attractiveness for men (rugged, action-ready, good at their jobs, wealthy and powerful) and for women (pretty).

Anyway, I'm reminded of what happened with Terry Gilliam's The Brothers Grimm. Samantha Morton was originally the female lead, but Harvey Weinstein overruled the director and actors by replacing her with Lena Headey, the reasoning being that Matt Damon and the Joker would never fuck someone like Samantha Morton.

The camera's broken.

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Linda Hamilton in T2. That's as close as we've gotten to a pure action heroine, with the problem being that she's defined by being a mother. Same goes for Ripley in Aliens, which, at its core, is basically a quest for a lost child. It begins with Ripley discovering her daughter is dead, and proceeds with her working feverishly for the remainder of the story to recover that loss through the Newt proxy (this is way more explicit in the director's cut).

As badass as Ripley is, the audience is soothed and reminded of her femininity by the fact that she's, yes, a mother first.

Anyway, I wasn't that surprised when Lena Headey was cast as Sarah Connor in the Terminator series. She is immensely fuckable, I guess.
gingaio Wrote:

> I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Linda
> Hamilton in T2. That's as close as we've gotten to
> a pure action heroine, with the problem being that
> she's defined by being a mother.

I was just thinking this same thing.

Samantha Morton is supposedly NOT attractive enough? In what way? She looks like pretty much every other Hollywood starlet to me.

More serious than thou
Expendables was a tongue in cheek homage to the schlock era....and it knew it was. The new Conan isn't supposed to be schlock. And why is it being made? Because the character deserves better than Arnie.

We need this shit split off from this thread

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2011 04:16PM by hillsy.
This seems oddly appropriate...

[blog.collegehumor.com]

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
That seriously sucked. Disentangling threads takes, like, half an hour...and a good 3 or 4 years off your lifespan. I'm sure the posts are all out of order, but unfortunately, there's no real way to fix that.

I blame hillsy for this. I have carpool tunnel(sp?) syndrome. And the Red Sox lost.

Anyway...have at it.
For Busou Shinki stop motion fun.

[www.youtube.com]

Also PSP game opening.

[www.youtube.com]

Strong work, Sanjeev. You weren't going to use those 3 or 4 years, anyways, were you?

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev Wrote:
> That seriously sucked. Disentangling threads
> takes, like, half an hour

Nice work! I blame myself for causing this problem in the first place, though of course I'm happy with threads that are permanently derailed as long as they're still interesting.

> I blame hillsy for this. I have carpool
> tunnel(sp?) syndrome.

A friend of mine once had a coworker who would complain about his "corporal tunnels".

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
No sweat, Paul. Good conversations are definitely worth having.

hillsy Wrote:
> Strong work, Sanjeev. You weren't going to use
> those 3 or 4 years, anyways, were you?

I was gonna spend them ruing the day I met you.

:P
If you haven't started by now, my friend, you ain't never catchin' up!

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
gingaio Wrote:

> --The Coens' version of True Grit
> featured a really cool female lead, in fact.

It also contained a spanking scene of said character, and a ...um..."interestingly framed" night horseback rescue near the end.
Yeah, but Damon's character (who did the spanking) was portrayed as a kind of pompous meathead who was stopped mid-spank by the Dude pointing a gun at his head. Don't think the scene was played to titillate, disempower Mattie, or endorse the actions of Damon's character. If anything, it put her more in the right and him more in the wrong.

Don't remember what was so interesting about the scene at the end...my brain was pretty fried by the end of the movie. I was likely dozing off.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2011 08:02PM by gingaio.
The actual point demonstrated by Maddie, though, as well as Ree from Winter's Bone and, I'm told, the lead character from Meek's Cutoff (which I haven't seen yet), is this: they are NOT "action girls". Their strength is depicted by making difficult decisions, and refusing to back down, even in situations in which they are essentially unable to physically defend themselves.

-Paul Segal

This thread is boring. Let's consider the realm of female action hero ponies.

[prometheusrising.net]
Hrm, hrm.

I'll admit that I kinda glossed most of the posts on this topic, so I might be missing some important points that were already made, but I figured I might as well toss in my two cents.

I'm a girl, and I happily collect busou shinki. If you have the patience for fiddling with the armor and posing the figures, they have lovely play-value. The pieces are also all interchangeable between sets, so you can build all sorts of robots and equipment for the girls if you have a mind for it. I've personally put together a couple nice larger mecha for mine.

As to the sexualization... <*shrug*> It's definitely there, IMHO. Many of the shinki girls show a lot of skin, especially just on the base figure without their armor. Doesn't bother me much, but I could see how it might get to some people given that these are supposed to be 1:1 scale figures of teensy little girl-shaped robots. All I'll say is that as a female collector of (fighting) robot toys, I actually kind of like having some figures of attractive females that still fall more into the sci-fi weaponry category than fashion dolls or similar.

Seriously, I've actually been waffling for a while on ever posting some of my collection on this board for fear that the whole 'moe' clause will apply and I'll get immediately walked on 'cos my powered battle armor happens to be on a cute girl.

Then again, I also don't have much complaint about fanservice / sexualization in general, so maybe I'm the wrong kind of girl to have this discussion with.
josh fraser (Moderator)
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> [prometheusrising.files.wordpress.com]
> 7/1310863355144.jpg
>
> This thread is boring. Let's consider the realm
> of female action hero ponies.

GiantblueBenbot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer