Outlandish Mini Figure Guys! (OMFG!) Series 1 by October Toys

Posted by Scopedog 
I'm surprised no one is talking about these. October Toys totally nailed it with these.

[www.kickstarter.com]
[www.octobertoys.com]

The submission thread for Series 2:
[www.octobertoys.com]

The original thread for Series 1:
[www.octobertoys.com]

--------------------------
I want YOU for Moé Sucks Army

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2011 08:57PM by Scopedog.
Attachments:
open | download - OMFG-flesh.jpg (83.3 KB)
Did these actually come out?
They have to get $11,000.00 worth of pledges by August 10th. They're at $6,496.00 after four days.

I may displaying a blinding ignorance, here (wouldn't be the first time), but isn't $11,000 quite a bit to produce a line of MUSCLE figures?

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2011 02:03PM by hillsy.
The minimum pledge to receive a flesh-colored set of five is $10.00. Higher pledges include other incentives. Details are here:

[www.kickstarter.com]

I'd do the $10 level, but I'd sure like to know what material these would be made of. I'd really prefer to see them made out of the same old type of PVC you used to see in MUSCLE or Battle Beast figs.

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd do the $10 level, but I'd sure like to know
> what material these would be made of. I'd really
> prefer to see them made out of the same old type
> of PVC you used to see in MUSCLE or Battle Beast
> figs.

According to a post on 4chan by Monsterforge (one of the sculptors) they're going to be made of injection-molded PVC. A post at Littlerubberguys says the consistency will be like Glyos, so a little harder than M.U.S.C.L.E.

Also, they reached their goal yesterday, courtesy of a generous contribution by Matt Doughty (according to George Gaspar):
[www.kickstarter.com]

Apparently, the project doesn't go forward until August 10th, but any additional funds will be put toward Series 2. These toys strike all the right chords with me and I'm really excited about them.

George Gaspar posted this on Octobertoys forum yesterday in response to a 4chan complaint about overcharging for these toys:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2011 12:43PM by Scopedog.
Attachments:
open | download - omfg-comp.jpg (173.9 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
I totally don't get the "overpriced" argument. $10 for five MUSCLE figures. What's wrong with that? I mean, I guess you could argue that the project shouldn't cost $11 g's in the first place...it could be a case of gouging...but who knows...

Anyway, I'm not a fan of this whole thing. I understand it's all a very subjective grey area, but the project just does not sit right with me.

First of all, I personally don't really like the sculpts. I'm not criticizing for the sake of hate--they just don't do much for me. I'm glad that others dig them, though...heh...afterall, *I'm* trying to make MUSCLE figures, too!

I think the skull dude is the most interesting because he has the nicest proportions...but at the same time, I'm SO fucking sick of skulls in designer fucking toys. The castle guy's definitely interesting--great concept--but the execution doesn't really thrill me. I have no idea what the clampy-hands guy is supposed to be. And the other two are lame (but keep in mind: I've never liked Monster in My Pocket...or whatever these things are trying to ape).

But besides the sculpts, themselves, I'm just not a fan of the SCALE of this project, and the way it's being run/marketed. I mean, it's advertised ALL OVER the fucking universe and they've raised a ton of cash to mass produce these things. But they're still bootlegs. I know, I know: *I'M* a bootlegger, too...so I'm feeling a lot of ambivalence about this shit. But there IS an objective difference between doing some low-run "garage"-produced toys versus MASS-PRODUCING BOOTLEGS IN CHINA. I've heard that the creator of the Kinnikuman manga isn't too happy about custom MUSCLEs in general...I shudder to think what he says about these...

I guess the fact that it's such a brazenly publicized project--that's clearly backed by a crowd (October Toys) that allows ZERO dissent--is what rubs me the wrong way. And the people who *run* October Toys aren't exactly at the top of my favorites list after the fucking TAG resin shitshow...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> ...I've heard that the creator of
> the Kinnikuman manga isn't too happy about custom
> MUSCLEs in general...I shudder to think what he
> says about these...

I don't get this. Kinnikuman are just fantasy/sci-fi/monster/gross wrestler mini-figures. As long as nobody is copying his characters, what's his problem with people making their own fantasy/sci-fi/monster/gross wrestler mini-figures?

> I guess the fact that it's such a brazenly
> publicized project--that's clearly backed by a
> crowd (October Toys) that allows ZERO dissent--is
> what rubs me the wrong way. And the people who
> *run* October Toys aren't exactly at the top of my
> favorites list after the fucking TAG resin
> shitshow...

Although I had seen a couple of Toybreak videos, I had never read the Octobertoys forum prior to learning about these OMFG! toys. The OMFG! topics seem pretty lively and diverse. What happened with the TAG resin show?

Sanjeev (Admin)
Scopedog Wrote:
> I don't get this. Kinnikuman are just
> fantasy/sci-fi/monster/gross wrestler
> mini-figures. As long as nobody is copying his
> characters, what's his problem with people making
> their own fantasy/sci-fi/monster/gross wrestler
> mini-figures?

Well...c'mon...1-3/4" tall pink PVC dudes? Haha...I know you can't copyright a format, but on an artistic (and common sense!) level, it's obviously no different from Kinkeshi! I dunno...personally, I still see it as being "different enough". To me, they're "homage", not necessarily "bootleg"...BUT the mass-marketing and -production of it all is what's sketchy.

Like, what if my foe gokin Gin Gin were plastered all over the internet and mass-produced in China? It would certainly be a lot cheaper to the consumer...but I kinda feel like it would be crossing the line (since it's unlicensed). Plus...mass-produced in China...as opposed to being developed, hand-cast, hand-painted, and packaged...ALL in Massachusetts. I mean, that shit's important to me, and if I end up doing my MUSCLE dudes, I wouldn't want that to change.

> Although I had seen a couple of Toybreak videos, I
> had never read the Octobertoys forum prior to
> learning about these OMFG! toys. The OMFG! topics
> seem pretty lively and diverse.

October Toys is aiight. I mean, there are a LOT of cool people over there that I respect. But I think part of the problem is that--ironically--there are TOO many people on there. And just a few bad seeds fuck things up. The board used to be small and people could say what they thought without fear of hurting anyone's fucking feelings. But now, dick-riders have sorta taken over, and much like some other toy websites we know of, dissenting opinions and critical discussion are met with "haters gonna hate" and other mindless drivel. I feel that the resulting group-think is mostly what fuels stuff like OMFG...rather than the toys' actual merits.

> What happened
> with the TAG resin show?

Where's Ben? He can probably provide a MUCH better background than I can. But be prepared: if you hate hipsters and the very worst aspects of designer toy bullshit, you may puke a little in your mouth...

Aiight...so basically, Toy Art Gallery (TAG) put on this "open call, juried" resin show. I guess "open call" means everyone's invited...but "juried" means the pieces will be judged. Already a problem right fucking there. And, naturally, THIS is your diverse panel of judges. Please shoot me in the face. Two of those people, incidentally, run October Toys and are making these OMFG figures.

The results? Paul Kaiju won...most everyone else lost. Duh. But the real mess was just how ridiculously ill-conceived the whole thing was and how poorly the aftermath was handled. Here's the most popular reaction that polarized most fans of this stuff. And here's another...from one of the judges, even! I guess the judges generally shitted on everything (unless they were friends with the artists), and when some of the less-popular artists actually requested feedback, a couple judges snubbed them (the people that happen to run October Toys...).

Anyway, whatever...all this has done is set off a fuckload of bitter arguments in the custom/art toy world. On one hand, you have the dick-riders who think that EVERY piece of shit is a great and wonderful example of artistic expression...while, of course, only giving props to the artists they're friends with (or the artists they *want* to be friends with). The anti-crowd sees this liberal attitude as being the downfall of the hobby because you now have ridiculous over-saturation and a complete lack of critical thought.

I'm personally somewhere in the middle, because I think any art can be great to *someone*...and if you have the money (or can raise it via kickstarter) to make your toy, go ahead. BUT at the same time, there should be complete freedom for anyone to criticize what's produced without fear of the dick-riders sticking their fingers in their ears and singing, "LA-LA-LA-LA". If you want to make a fucking toy, it has to stand on its own merits...and thus, you need to be open to criticism without countering every negative comment with "haters gonna hate". My stance on this is pretty strong and consistent--and I don't care if that means I sell fewer of my toys. I'm not interested in ingratiating myself to a mob. Sadly, this doesn't seem to be the case at October Toys...
Are only white people allowed in that toy show or what? Those pictures seems really weird to me.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Oh, the TAG show... where to begin.

I guess I'll start off with the way I approached things, since I did participate. I was sent an email a month or two back from one of the guys who works at TAG that I have dealt with before letting me know there was an open call resin show coming up soon and that it would be awesome if I were to contribute. He sent me the poster... I saw open call, something about judges, toys must be resin, yadda yadda. I said 'oh cool, I'll totally enter'. I whipped up a set of my figures as a test round of the way I would like to present my next batch of regular release figs, was quite happy with them, and sent them on their way. I was looking forward to seeing my toys amongst some of my peers that I talk to, and to get some eyes on the Battle Pack 2-pack setup I am planning for the future.

As the show draws closer and closer, there was very little promotion of this show outside of Jeremyriad tweeting about being a judge and whatnot... we had a thread among the resin heads on Skullbrain, but discussion of the show was elsewhere almost nonexistent. Oh well, sometimes these things slip through the crack. The night of the show comes around, and it's almost radio silence. Very little coverage until that Sunday, when the Toypinionated article Sanjeev linked showed up. The article discussed who won the competition aspect, and then said that there were a number of sub-par entries that should be embarrassed for having ever breathed, let along cast something in resin and had the audacity to mail it off. The article is written for shock value as much as anything, so I wondered what really happened on Friday. A little more coverage came out, all focusing on the winners of the competition and saying that many entries sucked, leading to some outcry over the lack of tact or professionalism most of the coverage was missing. This lead to a work week of name-calling and sniping, with everyone who hadn't made the winners list OR the shitlist wondering what the heck was going on. Somehow the people who ran the show and attended the show were 100% swept up in the competition aspect, while most of the people who actually made figures for the show didn't seem to notice or care.

A couple days of post-mortem have passed, and we are now starting to get a little more appreciation for just how fucked up this whole affair was. Many participants (myself included) voiced opinions that if the whole show really was about the competition (rather than the OPEN CALL aspect), we who had not won a prize or been slammed would really love to hear some feedback from this grand panel of judges. Jeremyriad, ever one to self-appoint himself for tasks, said that he would talk to the other judges about the idea of critiques. Way too much of this hemming and hawing was done publicly over Twitter. I myself emailed SpankyStokes, basically the only one of the judges besides Jeremyriad that I can even tolerate, asking him what he thought, and he told me. I got some useful feedback that made sense to me.

Jeremyriad came back on Twitter and said that unnamed parties among the judges had said the idea of artists asking for direct feedback from them was 'rude and ridiculous'. In a vacuum, this seems peculiar, to say the least. Based on the fact that I have gotten feedback from SpankyStokes and Jeremy, I know they're both on board with the idea. That leaves three judges (George and Ayleen of October Toys, and some other toy bloggist I've never heard of) that have been deafeningly silent about judging both before and after the show opened. Apparently at least one of those three, and I assume more than one, feel that their opinions are so valuable that they do not give them out for free, but are somehow supremely qualified to have made their grand ruling over this show that half the people entering didn't know was being judged. Now we're into some murky fucking waters.

Cut to today, with Jeremy's article going up, and most of the coverage being up now... we see lots of pictures of a very select group of the toys entered, and many pictures of the judges looking coolly disinterested and oh-so hip. Ginrai, you were asking if only white people were allowed to the show, and I'm willing to say it goes one farther. To say that this was the most one-sided single-view judging panel ever assembled might not be unreasonable. Every one of the five people (even the two I kind of like/consider human) are Western 'art toy' fans. Looking at Jeremy's article explains it all... the judges approached this as critiquing ART, while most of the people who entered submitted hobby items or TOYS. Big difference, completely unrepresented.

Add in all the mentions, Jeremy's included, of the last-minute and lack of planning on TAG's part for this show, and you begin to assemble of a picture. A picture of a show run by people who don't care and presided over by the most homogeneous group of hippy-hip hipsters to ever hip. Case in point, I haven't seen one photo from the show where the blond blogger judge isn't giving the camera the finger, probably because she's so 'edgy' and 'street'. Meaning that: A) I have no value for her opinion, not that she's willing to give it to 'teh masses', and B)She was undoubtedly looking for a completely different kind of product that more than half the figures submitted were trying to be. No two aspects of this show were on the same page.

The real tragedy of this is that the people who suffered the most were the little or brand new guys for whom this was their first show, or even showing of their stuff. All they got was hit by a bus of misguided hate, and firsthand experience of someone bigger than them setting down their opinion as law, with all the indifference and disinterest they could muster. Do I think all of the figures entered were good? No. But I think far worse than some of the quality entered was the way in which letting them know was handled.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yikes.

Ginrai Wrote:
> Are only white people allowed in that toy show or
> what? Those pictures seems really weird to me.

I'm saying, man. I think it's more that only that kind of white people were allowed to *judge* the show. I know some of the other entrants in the contest (yes, white males) that are definitely cool motherfuckers--not hipster trash at all...and TOTALLY not part of that whole "gallery" scene...

Oh, not really related to the TAG show, but someone called Brian Flynn showing up personally on October Toys, attempting to raise dialog about (dare I say "criticize") the $11k mark for making these toys, a "bitch move". Cult mentality of course, so naturally, no one censured him. Even George jumped in on counter-criticizing Super7 toys. Pretty fucking disgusting.

But whatever.

I guess at the end of the day, all this bullshit ultimately makes me not want to have anything to do with these toys...
Hahaha! This is priceless.

MSW
That TAG show sounds like its par for the course...Its not just judged ART shows. I've been a judge at a car show that erupted in fist fight when a participant felt he was somehow wronged. :P
Sanjeev (Admin)
Scopedog Wrote:
> Hahaha! This is priceless.

Aren't you glad you asked? ;)
I'm actually offended by all this hate on white people. What did they ever do to you? Are you saying its racist to have an all white event? If the KKK can do it, why can't toy/art collectors? I thought we lived in an era that past all this bigoted and unjustified prejudice against whites. Shame on you! They're people too!
OK serious time. I saw the project. Was interested in the designs. I love castles. And then I started reading the thread on October toys. Now I want nothing to do with it. Thanks Sanjeev. :P
Sanjeev (Admin)
servbot30 Wrote:
> If
> the KKK can do it, why can't toy/art collectors?

For real, I think I might feel less uncomfortable at a Klan rally than having a beer with these people:

But y'know...I'll bet a lot of y'all would too!

:P
I love this thread because it totally defeats the purpose of toys.
Remember when you were 7, and you took your kikiader sofubi,
Your jumbo raydeen, even your Joes and stormtroopers...off the shelf and into the backyard? You dug a space in the grass, added some water, and added the dialogue.
You panicked for a minute when Maz's pileder got lost in the mud...but you found it.
You freaked when Keyop's visor (BOTP) broke off, but mom superglued it back on.
Toys didn't sit on well lit columns, critiqued for its originality, color scheme, and validity. I'm sorry I missed the show. The first words out of my mouth would have been, 'get the hose and let's dig a hole. Time to get messy and play!'
Little things like MUSCLE type figs, generally "should" give folks the irresistible urge to play with them, even if that's just to waddle-walk them across your desktop in a threatening manner, so hopefully these OMFG figs will do just that, so sure, have at it. The only thing similar, but on a smaller scale, were the FruitFighter figs, by HalfBadToyz , but those are still just small batch, soft resin made,not factory PVC.

My spirit for this stuff, is, of course, helped by scoring some big ZipLoc baggies full of old MUSCLE, and BatttleBeasts at a flea market recently. =o)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...I'm with Mike! Then again, I *did* try to keep the few delicate Diakron/Kronoform toys I had in good shape. Didn't always work: I remember snapping off one of Gats Blocker's horns when I dumped a bunch of pebbles on him! :P

I think the OMFG figures will make for fun toys simply because they'll be the same as original MUSCLEs. I just can't deal with all the bullshit surrounding the fandom. I know it's kinda sad to let *what others* say and do influence what you're into...but that's just where I'm at. The shit kinda makes my stomach turn.

And to be clear, there are a LOT of people making their own custom MUSCLEs. Halfbad's Fruit Fighters are definitely cool, but people like Marty "The Godbeast" Hansen have been rocking MUSCLEs for a long time now. Sure, his are pricey, but he offers them in clear, glitter, color-change in heat, color-change IN THE SUN(!), glow, and all sorts of other effects. I know "toys as art" SUCKS...but Marty is, like, the MOST unassuming dude ever. Totally chill, down to Earth, and absolutely *unlike* the hipsters above. The dude casts these toys by hand...IN the US. So with that, I don't mind paying more for his work.

And Marty's just the tip of the iceberg. Obviously, we've talked a little about Overkill Creations' ill-conceived plot to unite ALL the MUSCLE customizers. Great idea--on paper--but not in practice, apparently. But even more various customs are discussed on Little Rubber Guys, University of MUSCLE, and other sites like that.

So...October Toys are hardly the first guys doing this...
Wank, wank, wank. None of the bs should be a surprise for anyone.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2011 03:26PM by hillsy.
You guys keep throwing around hippy-hip-hip-hipster as an apparent derogatory term. I guess I agree that the people in those pictures could be described that way, but I've seen pictures of some of you on this website, and it seems as though many of you have a very similar taste in clothing and body art (not naming any names). Visually speaking, and absent their association with the TAG Resin show, what particular features distinguish them as deserving of derision more than those of you who, to me, seem superficially similar to them?

I'm also curious who organized the TAG Resin show. Who decided to display every entry indiscriminantly? Is it possible that the other judges found the event just as embarassing and awkward but chose not to say anything? After all, if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all.

This is totally from the outside looking in. The whole idea of Toy Art Culture and Art Culture in general is incomprehensible to me. I find great joy and diversion in the playthings of children, not something like a useless canvas with blotches of paint on it meant to convey some deep profound meaning, unless its maybe a painting of a childs plaything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2011 03:45PM by Scopedog.
Sanjeev (Admin)
hillsy Wrote:
> Wank, wank, wank. None of the bs should be a
> surprise for anyone.

Granted, the resin show wasn't a surprise.

I've never been a fan of Toy Break, but I started posting on OT years ago, around the time they added the Glyos forum. I almost never have the time to go there nowadays...but whenever I pop in now, I see how much it's changed. And not for the better. The OMFG thing has kinda soured me to the whole site now. :(

So, yeah, a surprise...for me, at least. And not a pleasant one.

Scope, I assume you're at least half-kidding. I didn't type all this crap about these toys because I like the sound of my own voice. I did so because you asked and I wanted to let you know how I saw this whole thing. Perhaps I assumed incorrectly that you actually were curious and/or gave a shit what I thought.

But for the record, I really don't care that much about these toys. Sure, I want nothing to do with them and I feel bitter about how the culture in that community has done a 180...but I hardly lose sleep over this stuff. If they're successful, great! More MUSCLE enthusiasm in the toy world is a good thing!

But I feel a LOT stronger about the "baggage" behind hipsterism. It's classism. The clothes they wear or the music they listen to--even if it's the same as what someone else around here rocks--is just a superficial characteristic. You can call it whatever you like: elitism, exclusion, fanboyism...whatever. It's still classism...and it's still the deep-rooted emotional distress that keeps poor people poor. Sure, it's "just toys" with these people...but it's the same disgusting attitude. If you're not part of the "right" clique, dick-ride the "right" artist, pander to the "right" audience with obscure references to the "right" music, movies, clothes, tv, etc., etc....

I mean, fuck dude, really? You saw the Summit announcement. We're a bunch of working-class cunts who want nothing more than to have EVERYBODY come by. You think WE'RE classist or exclusive or that we value "the scene" and keeping it "pure" over the relationships we work hard on or the love for stoopid toys that we share? C'mon dude...you know us better than that.

Scopedog Wrote:
> The
> whole idea of Toy Art Culture and Art Culture in
> general is incomprehensible to me. I find great
> joy and diversion in the playthings of children,
> not something like a useless canvas with blotches
> of paint on it meant to convey some deep profound
> meaning, unless its maybe a painting of a childs
> plaything.

I know. I know that about you. It's alien and anathema to me too. That's why I took the time to answer you as best and honestly as I could. I don't have the luxury of being on the outside, looking in. If you want to make toys, THIS is what you MUST deal with...at least at some point...on some level.

So...feel free to tell me that you're just fucking around and wasting time and that you don't REALLY give a shit about what I have to say...and I'll gladly stop wasting my time on this thread. Or...if you really ARE curious about this disgusting phenomenon, stop fronting on this "devil's advocate" bullshit just to get a rise out of some of us.
Heh, this whole deal sounds much too serious.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
It's true. I'm not actually as pissy at Scope as I came off in my last post, but it IS frustrating to have to deal with the classism slathered all over the independent toy world...and then to come here and actually be accused of it.

Classism is all about creating artificial divisions among people. "Artificial", because they're not real...completely arbitrary. But the goal is to compartmentalize everything and everyone in order to create an "us" and a "them" (where, ostensibly, the "us" is superior to "them").

Everything I try to create has the expressed goal of trying to put people BACK together...dissolve barriers and open possibilities for people to who wouldn't normally share their love for this crap!
Well, I DO love crap!

None of what I'm reading here surprises me. I grew up in a super-artsy community, and there was always a prevailing attitude of superiority among those who dressed the right way or listened to the right music. My friends and I used to call it the "Counter-culture Uniform." I still see evidence of this at virtually every independent coffee shop or music store. The art toy world seems no different. Funny, though, that the independent toy-maker should get lumped in with the art toy people somehow rather than with just the normal toy world.

More serious than thou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2011 08:23AM by fujikuro.
The total shift away from viewing these 'independent' toys as playthings enjoyed is what's been really bumming me out to the whole shtick lately. There's always been an appreciable 'artsiness' to these hand-crafted with love toys (I'm speaking of vinyl and resin), but to call them 'art' as if they were designed with the intent of conveying meaning and feeling is laughable to me. Yet, here we are with mucky-mucks telling us that is how it is, and to be presenting 'just playthings' is something so beneath them that they don't even consider it. So I'm looking at Ultraman vinyls lately.

Are these OMFG figures by nature being taken as 'art' and not toys? No, I don't think so. It's hard to call a MUSCLE-like figure anything but a fun little plaything. It sours one's view of a project, though, to see such gross viewpoints from the person/people in charge of a project. The enthusiastic rumblings around the guys leading this effort are already thinking about things like custom shows and gallery settings, which seems completely anathema to toys of this nature. The fascination with needing to 'put your mark' one very toy that comes your way, to the point of forcing it for the sake of not leaving a toy untouched is a whole separate discussion, though. I do paint toys, as well as make them, but when I paint them, it's to make them look good so that one would enjoy playing with it. Never an attempt at striking some higher meaning. Just fun. The resin show just served as something of an awakening for many contributors over just how 'us and them' it had become, which sucks.

[prometheusrising.net]
I'm too lazy to read through all these posts. So can someone tell me if there was a budget justification for the $11K production number?
Gcrush Wrote:
> I'm too lazy to read through all these posts. So
> can someone tell me if there was a budget
> justification for the $11K production number?

Not really, no. That's the beauty of Kickstarter: no accountability.

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> Not really, no. That's the beauty of Kickstarter:
> no accountability.

Brilliant. Score one for crowd-funding.

So, can anyone with actual experience in this type of production comment of the $11K figure?
Gcrush Wrote:
> Prometheum5 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Not really, no. That's the beauty of
> Kickstarter:
> > no accountability.
>
> Brilliant. Score one for crowd-funding.
>
> So, can anyone with actual experience in this type
> of production comment of the $11K figure?

Yeah, Brian Flynn told them they were on drugs. TL;DR of above, Brian tweeted his surprise at the number, and then went over the OT and asked how they got to that number. From having priced out similar projects in the past, Flynn said the number was fully twice what it ought to be. Lemmings proceeded to flame Flynn and called him a bitch, and George and Ayleen of OT used all of the condescending they could muster from having made two toys previously to tell Flynn they knew better.

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> Yeah, Brian Flynn told them they were on drugs.

Hmm. This is why the budget justification is so important.

How can anyone take a business seriously that isn't transparent on how their going to allocate the funds they're seeking? Is this where the hipster-bullshit argument comes in?
Gcrush Wrote:
> Prometheum5 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yeah, Brian Flynn told them they were on drugs.
>
>
> Hmm. This is why the budget justification is so
> important.
>
> How can anyone take a business seriously that
> isn't transparent on how their going to allocate
> the funds they're seeking? Is this where the
> hipster-bullshit argument comes in?

See: Hype and Dickriding. Gotta maintain that clique cred. Putting money into a black hole is so street.

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> See: Hype and Dickriding. Gotta maintain that
> clique cred. Putting money into a black hole is
> so street.

Haw. I gotta remember this.
Sanjeev:

You know I hold you in the highest respect, but what is your basis for this statement?

You can call it whatever you like: elitism, exclusion, fanboyism...whatever. It's still classism...and it's still the deep-rooted emotional distress that keeps poor people poor.

Best, Ken-A
On a purely superficial level, I'm fairly disdainful of most sub-cultures, including hipsters, but I don't see how dressing like a hipster necessarily means anything Sanjeev said (and for the record, I never meant to imply you were a hipster, Sanjeev. The people I had in mind aren't posting in this thread which is why I'm not mentioning their names). I don't think hipsters keep poor people poor any more than people who dress like a gangsta or balla or emo or goth or kicker or whatever.

I guess I really struck a nerve, but I truly meant no offense.

I also don't think I'm playing devil's advocate, in fact I'm seeking clarification. I think my questions are valid.

The discussion on Octobertoys forum regarding the OMFG! toys reminds of sitting in the lunchroom at school with my friends inventing Megaman villains, truly believing that if we made a cool enough villian, we could send it to Nintendo Power and have it appear in a Megaman game.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2011 12:38PM by Scopedog.
cae
> For real, I think I might feel less uncomfortable at a Klan rally than having a beer with these people:

What?!? Holy hyperbole, Batman! I think we're going off the deep end!

hassenpfeffer
cae Wrote:
> > For real, I think I might feel less
> uncomfortable at a Klan rally than having a beer
> with these people:
>
> What?!? Holy hyperbole, Batman! I think we're
> going off the deep end!

No joke, I met Sanjeev at a Klan rally. We hit it off because we were the only two people drinking 40s while everyone else had a PBR in their hand. Under those sheets, you really can't tell what anyone looks like. But what they're drinking says a lot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer