Outlandish Mini Figure Guys! (OMFG!) Series 1 by October Toys

Posted by Scopedog 
There's NO way you *couldn't* tell that fro was under the sheet. Just sayin'.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I blame all of this on VINYL.
Stupid rubber dinosaurs.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Prometheum5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The total shift away from viewing these
> 'independent' toys as playthings enjoyed is what's
> been really bumming me out to the whole shtick
> lately.

This. Makes me wanna quit making toys. Dealing with this shit isn't any sort of "creativity" I was after...

> I'm looking at Ultraman vinyls lately.

Yup. It's why I still see TFs as such a vacation from all this bs.

G, despite Ben's humorous post about money blackholes being "street", this isn't where the hipsterism comes in. At least, not the way I define it. As for the budget, $11k is for PERMANENT HEAVY STEEL MOLDS in China. Okay, that's a lot, but I guess it's somewhat reasonable for permanent, heavy steel molds. But these are the types of molds one would use for a Glyos figure--something that will be reproduced a million times in a million different colors and versions...over the course of a decade or more. You can have non-permanent injection molds made for a fraction of that...but you'd only be able to get, say, 800 units instead of tens of thousands before the mold dies. What boggles my mind is that they seem to think that they're really going to sell 10,000 units, not 800.

Eh well...whatever. Again, it's less the budget issue than the non-transparency and the cultish defense of the project from the more rabid OT members that bothers me.

cae Wrote:
> What?!? Holy hyperbole, Batman! I think we're
> going off the deep end!

Not even remotely. Remember, I've worked with uneducated, rural, openly-racist farmers and what-have-you from the South. Yes, their bigotry can be disturbing, but as individuals, they seem FAR more willing to confront their racism than privileged/educated whites from the North. And just because Northerners' racism is mostly unaware doesn't make it any less virulent, damaging, and disgusting. Yeah, I've had to work on my own rage a TON to be able to work with openly-racist conservative whites...but at least for the most part they are actually willing to talk about it. They look you in the eye, with no shame in their game, and *try*...for something. That is, of course, if you come correct: you start preaching with the typical Northern arrogance (read: classism), it's all over.

So at the end of the day, I prefer the devil that lets me know where he stands to the one who...presumes I care what he thinks of my toys.

Scopedog Wrote:
> I guess I really struck a nerve, but I truly meant
> no offense...I think my
> questions are valid.

Your questions ARE valid. But I guess the way I read them, it felt like you weren't really paying attention or whatever (and thus didn't really give a shit about any of this).

It's cool.

> On a purely superficial level, I'm fairly
> disdainful of most sub-cultures, including
> hipsters, but I don't see how dressing like a
> hipster necessarily means anything Sanjeev said...

Right, so I'll try to address this and Ken's question.

To be clear, all my disappointment has been aimed squarely at the particular individuals who ran the TAG show and who run this OMFG project. Clothes, music...taste in beer...don't mean shit to me. When I say "hipster", I'm referring to this particular group of people who exhibit this particular brand of classism. "WE" are good enough to tell "YOU" whose toys are better than whose. I don't care HOW they dressed...they're still classist for all the reasons we've already talked about. Just the presumption of the whole event speaks volumes. That's what makes them hipsters to me--not their clothing or all those other superficial things.

So why is this such a bad thing? Well, the nice white lady who clutches her purse and crosses the street when she sees me walking down the sidewalk towards her is likely not about to go burn down a baptist church. The white guy outraged that Michelle Obama invited Common to talk about poetry at the White House is probably not going to start a corporation selling malt liquor in poor, urban communities (har!). But you can see SO often how simple everyday feelings and behaviors reflect how confused people are about race. On a macroscopic, societal level, these feelings aggregate and resonate into...well...y'know.

The same thing is true about class. The very concept that children's playthings can--and even OUGHT TO BE judged is based on the same sort of confusions that tell people that it's okay that there are poor people in the world. That suffering for so many is somehow acceptable...it even makes sense. Because that's THEM...not US.

Why should one toy be "better" than another? Why is one person somehow qualified to judge toys, while other aren't? And why does it seem that the winners just happen to be the most popular makers? No, I'm not saying that the TAG judges are going to start an oil war or send US jobs overseas...but this drive to separate and compartmentalize humans and to enforce totally irrational hierarchies is the core of what keeps people from being able to address the REAL problem in society: why so many control so little.
Sanjeev (Admin)
OH...I didn't have my 'fro back then. What actually gave us away was when I kept asking G to repeat his big, ejumucated words.

:P
Sanjeev Wrote:
> OH...I didn't have my 'fro back then. What
> actually gave us away was when I kept asking G to
> repeat his big, ejumucated words.

It's true. At the time I thought he was just trying to get me to touch his boobies.

Well, turns out that Sanjeev was not the eager Brown Suger I assumed him to be. He wasn't even Sugar. But our sexual innuendo turned out to be a hilarious comedy of errors and we've been friends ever since.

Also, fuck Hipsters. And the shitty beer they rode in on.
Gcrush Wrote:

> Also, fuck Hipsters. And the shitty beer they
> rode in on.

A million times this. Only swill to ever make me sick.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
cae
Gee, I dunno, Sanjeev. What *I think* you're accusing "privileged/educated whites from the North" of sounds like typical behavior of everyone I've ever met, to one degree or another: black, white, male, female, hipster, dipshit, mutherfucker, bro.

On the other hand, the Klan would likely lynch you, if they had their druthers (me, too: mommy was a kike).

And, even if the attitude you so easily accuse "privileged/educated whites from the North" of is rightfully restricted to but a certain class, I'd still rather have someone surreptitiously oppressing and/or looking down their nose at me as opposed to openly murderous.

Hell, I've lived with the former all my life.

hassenpfeffer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2011 05:38PM by cae.
I can't speak for Sanjeev, but I'll try to toss out a purty word that might help explain what he's rallying against.
If I saw Sanjeev walking down the street (with or without 'fro), I'd probably clutch my purse and walk to the other sidewalk too. It's called survival of the fittest. Then again, if it were Corey I saw, I'd probably just try and steal his purse....and DeutscheHushpuppy vinyls to boot (pun intended)...not classism...just survival of the fittest, again...
cae
I stand by my statements. I'll take plutocracy over brute idiocy any day - good thing, too: you'll never escape the former as long as perception of power and/or wealth exists.

hassenpfeffer
Thank you for your illuminating response, Sanjeev, but it does raise a few more questions for me:

Why should one toy be "better" than another? Why is one person somehow qualified to judge toys, while other aren't? And why does it seem that the winners just happen to be the most popular makers? No, I'm not saying that the TAG judges are going to start an oil war or send US jobs overseas...but this drive to separate and compartmentalize humans and to enforce totally irrational hierarchies is the core of what keeps people from being able to address the REAL problem in society: why so many control so little.

I'm just not seeing the linkage here. How do you get from toy judging to, if Gcrush has accurately described your argument, plutocracy? And if this tendency is truly seen at all levels of society, as you suggest, by what standards are you judging it as bad?

Also, what makes the fact that "so many control so little" (if true) constitute the "real" (primary?) "problem in society," and how would you begin to fix it?

Best, Ken-A
Ken-A Wrote:
> Thank you for your illuminating response, Sanjeev,
> but it does raise a few more questions for me:
>
> Why should one toy be "better" than another? Why
> is one person somehow qualified to judge toys,
> while other aren't? And why does it seem that the
> winners just happen to be the most popular makers?
> No, I'm not saying that the TAG judges are going
> to start an oil war or send US jobs overseas...but
> this drive to separate and compartmentalize humans
> and to enforce totally irrational hierarchies is
> the core of what keeps people from being able to
> address the REAL problem in society: why so many
> control so little.
>
> I'm just not seeing the linkage here. How do you
> get from toy judging to, if Gcrush has accurately
> described your argument, plutocracy? And if this
> tendency is truly seen at all levels of society,
> as you suggest, by what standards are you judging
> it as bad?
>
> Also, what makes the fact that "so many control so
> little" (if true) constitute the "real" (primary?)
> "problem in society," and how would you begin to
> fix it?
>
> Best, Ken-A

I believe the issue here is part #3 of the definition G linked. We have reached the point where the 'ruling elite' of toys feels it can cast down its supreme judgment upon the plebes and have that matter. Problem is, all of the butt-riders follow their every word as law, and go to bat defending it blindly.

[prometheusrising.net]
I'd like to point out that I am that southern racist that Sanjeev has worked with. Not a conversation has gone by that I didn't call him a sand nigger or a towel head. But with much work I've moved on to camel jockey. I am quite grateful for his persistence against my racist nature. I think in time I might be able to even look at a darky and not spit at it.

But in all seriousness...

[www.youtube.com]

The ONLY possible outcome from all this is a very obvious one. TBDX. Needs to make toys. LETS DO IT BITCHES! For reals! We got talented guys. Lets do a kickstarter for 100,000$ and fuck shit up! We got artists and sculptors on here. Make it happen. Just saying.

OMFGTFA: Series 1. Oh Muh Fucking Gawd That's Awesome.
I'm down if we decide to make minivinyls of animals wearing penny loafers or hitops. For that I could be fanboyish...
They need beards too.
Prometheum5 Wrote:
>
> I believe the issue here is part #3 of the
> definition G linked. We have reached the point
> where the 'ruling elite' of toys feels it can cast
> down its supreme judgment upon the plebes and have
> that matter. Problem is, all of the butt-riders
> follow their every word as law, and go to bat
> defending it blindly.

I have a well-documented problem with authority, so it's hard for me to find fault with this. OTOH, I'd never even heard of this self-appointed elite or its capricious judgments before reading this thread.

Best, Ken-A
Sanjeev (Admin)
cae Wrote:
> On the other hand, the Klan would likely lynch
> you...I'll take plutocracy over brute idiocy any day

Heh...prolly. Honestly, I don't see the Klan doing much lynching these days...but I'm sure they're not about to serve me punch! The rural whites from the South we've worked with (y'know...servbot30! :P ) may have held fast to openly racist views and whatnot, but they obviously weren't straight-up Klan. They had to have SOMETHING going on upstairs to prompt them to want to work with our organization. Anyhoo...I was just funnin' about the actual ACTUAL Klan! But *being* a Northern educated (sorta-)liberal, I can see the anti-Southern sentiments everywhere I go. And the funniest ways it sticks out to me is when I see Northern educated liberal *whites* shit on rural Southerners as though they are somehow more racist than Northerners. Just because I'm less likely to get lynched up here (thank the gods!) doesn't mean people are less racist here.

If I saw kurukuru crossing the street away from me...and towards Corey to rob him...I think I would too paralyzed with bewilderment to react. Actually, Corey, just yell something like "JEW DOWN!!" to snap me out of it! That'll be our safety-word. Huh?

Anyway, sorry I'm not explaining classism all that well, Ken. It's honestly a REALLY difficult thing to put into words simply because our language isn't well-suited to describe such a complex--yet pervasive--concept. I could drop a ton of counseling jargon to explain it, but no one would likely follow it. Hell, I'm sure Gcrush can drop something academically rigorous, but *I* would probably have trouble following it! :P But once you start doing the actual research and listening to people at all strata of society, it becomes a lot more clear (even if still hard to verbalize without repurposing some terms!).

See, it's all about the root distress. I use the nice white lady clutching her purse to avoid me and my boys because we see that ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Does it ruin my night? Nah. We just laugh about it and move on. But while we're shaking our heads, we know what it is: it's her racism. So the root distress is racism...and racism sucks...but whatever. No one got shot. Same thing with the TAG show. It's a self-appointed elite attempting to establish a hierarchy of "cool" and "uncool"...where it's not wanted. This hierarchy is utterly devoid of rationality--it's completely arbitrary and it only serves them and others in their clique.

That desire to stratify the independent toy world isn't actually resulting in any deaths. No one got shot. But it's the same root distress that makes back-packers (the "hipsters" of the hip hop world) look down on the rest of us, thinking they're the "superior" fans because they ONLY listen to underground emcees (whereas the rest of us ostensibly NON-classist hip hop heads don't give a fuck and don't draw artificial/superficial distinctions among the music and/or fans). Or...it's the same distress that makes vintage Japanese robot toy collectors look down on Transformer collectors...because TFs are so common...and if *any* person can find/afford/collect them, well, then what's the point? Etc...etc...

I mean, arbitrary hierarchies enforced by self-appointed elites is just ONE example of classism, of course, but it's a common one among hobbies/fandoms. Hence, "fanboyism":
Classist statement: "I'm a bigger/better fan than you because of ___."
Non-classist response" "Umm...who cares?"
And it's not a coincidence that those who act/think this way tend to be the ones who come from more privileged backgrounds.
I appreciate your further explication, Sanjeev. I'm feeling your argument, but I don't think I'm understanding it, if you will. If what you're saying, at its core, is that all art is a matter of taste, then we agree completely. I think it's absurd to talk about hierarchies of art as if there was some sort of universal standard(s) by which art could be judged.

But this is not true of all hierarchies. We can stipulate that some "hierarchies" are evil, wrongheaded, and baseless, like racism. Others are harder to so judge: ability, education, influence. The problem is that all of these hierarchies are so wrapped up in our cultural norms that it's extremely difficult for us to fully separate out reason from bias in evaluating them. Still, just because it's hard doesn't mean it's impossible.

Also, if you are so opposed to hierarchical categorization, how can you characterize people as "Northerners" or "Southerners" and ascribe characteristics you personally have seen in members of those groups to all the individuals in the groups?

Best, Ken-A
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, I never said all hierarchies are bad: just the ones arbitrarily-defined by "elites" to stratify subjective/creative things like art, scifi or music fandom, hobbies, etc., artificially.

Most actual hierarchies or classifications are based on objective criteria and measurable quantities. That's cool.

But a common distress you see in many people of privileged-class backgrounds is that they almost instinctively (and unconsciously) divide people up so that they can dismiss the "other". This is a symptom of the problem we're discussing.

Again, I'm not at all opposed to categorizing people from the North as "Northerners" and people from the South as "Southerners". That's pretty basic! The characteristics of oppressive behavior I ascribe to groups like these are based on societal trends. But this conversation is shifting rapidly from hierarchical classification to the fundamental nature of oppressive societies...which is a totally different--but related--topic.
Thanks for your candor; it's cool to be able to discuss these issues from time to time. Out of curiosity, Sanjeev, do you consider yourself to have a "critical studies" outlook on society?

Best, Ken-A
Sanjeev (Admin)
Man...I had to google that one! I found this, which I assume is what you mean. TL;DR, but I skimmed the first paragraph...and I guess it sounds kinda like how I think.

I've read a little Marx before--his doctrine was doo-doo, but his theory was somewhat sound. But I'm a LOT less academic as this muckity-muck stuff sounds. I mean, I've been to jail...not grad school! ;)

What I *will* admit I'm good at, though, is listening to people. ALL different kinds. And I've done a LOT of it.
Hey guys, I totally missed out on this thread and I have nothing (at the moment) to add to the discussion on hipsters and classism.

My question is this:

Is it possible to buy those Fruit Fighters??

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev (Admin)
Probably, since they're made to order. Unless the molds are burnt out... :/

I'd just drop them a line. I really want a set now too!
Ah, cool, I'll see about contacting the creator.

I never keep up with designer toy news, so every time I read anything about designer toys, I find out about small, really cool, fairly reasonably priced items that I have no chance of getting anymore :3

Like, from one of those articles linked in this thread about that disastrous competition show, I just learned about these:
[eccentrina.blogspot.com]
Which are gorgeous, and really exemplify the idea of mass-produced art.

(I also noticed the Rose Vampire from Super 7 about a year after it came out, and I despair of ever finding one in the exquisite "Green Hell" color scheme)

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
That Puddlehead thing's pretty neat. Not really a "toy", but definitely cool to have as a decoration on the coffee table or something!

Not interested in that Rose Vampire, but I'd seen it (far too often). If you wait a little while, I'm sure you'll be able to get one for below retail. That's the story with most designer vinyl these days...

asterphage Wrote:
> I never keep up with designer toy news, so every
> time I read anything about designer toys, I find
> out about small, really cool, fairly reasonably
> priced items that I have no chance of getting
> anymore :3

No doubt. I love the idea of "made to order". That way, everyone gets what the fuck they want. Fuck exclusivity.

That said, however, their new "Custom Keshi Madness" figures are all one of a kind kit-bashes, so they're obviously you-snooze-you-lose. But they're so fucking cool...

BTW, for anyone else interested in Fruit Fighters, the creator is currently retooling the molds but if you email the address listed on the Halfbad Toyz site, he'll put you on a list to be notified when they're produced again.

I love the idea of putting a Madball head on a M.U.S.C.L.E. body, but I would never, ever own something so intentionally hideous :D

Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> Not interested in that Rose Vampire, but I'd seen
> it (far too often). If you wait a little while,
> I'm sure you'll be able to get one for below
> retail. That's the story with most designer vinyl
> these days...

Yeah, I just need to keep an eye out. The one that I never see for sale is that "Green Hell" color scheme, with the red head and green body - it's not nearly as attractive in any other color as it is in that "natural" breakdown.

-Paul Segal

Get ready to touch your toes if you want a Green Hell RV. It's one of the rare toys that shot up in value and was basically never seen from again.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
asterphage Wrote:
> BTW, for anyone else interested in Fruit Fighters,
> the creator is currently retooling the molds...

Wow, I totally called it! Good to know they're bringing 'em back.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Where've you been, pal???

:P
SO glad I read this thread last week and emailed Halfbad. I just found out via his Google Plus feed that he's putting out some special editions before retiring the molds:
[halfbadtoys.bigcartel.com]

I LOVE that gummy candy look on these "crystal neon" ones, so I snapped them up immediately:

and there are two glow sets left:

-Paul Segal

Outlandish Mini Figure Guys! (OMFG!) are the product of a collaboration by members of an elitist hipster scumbag toy discussion board called octobertoys.com. One of the collaborators and promoters of the project is a vile hipster named Matt Doughty of onelldesign.com widely reviled for his awful Glyos toy line. The painted Multiskull I have here was painted by a particularly repulsive hipster minion who goes by the name Monsterforge (monsterforge.blogspot.com).

The original price for a pack of five in Kinniku-style flesh color was $10 including shipping until August 10, 2011 via "donation" at kickstarter.com. I opted to "donate" $60 and registered to receive one hand painted OMFG!, one set of five flesh colored OMFG!s, and a sticker. I ended up getting not only that but also a black Phantom Shithouse and several stickers, cards, and a mini-poster. Maybe there was a scam or some kind of untowardness in this deal somewhere but the toys themselves seem alright to me. Moreover, these toys don't seem particularly pretentious or overpriced particularly compared to the profound pieces of uncompromising vision and avante garde creative treasure produced by unelitist unhipster unscumbag "artists" in most of the garage toy scene.

I give this hipster shit thumbs up.

--------------------------
I want YOU for Moé Sucks Army

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 11:11PM by Scopedog.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG02198-20120113-1915b.JPG (310.6 KB)
open | download - IMG02200-20120113-1917b.JPG (348.8 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
The pile of skulls dude does look kinda okay. ;)
Green:
[www.littlerubberguys.com]

Blue:
[www.rotofugi.com]

Yellow:
[uofmuscle.bigcartel.com]

Flesh:
[octobertoys.com]

Dang, looks like the greyish-blue Onell exclusive version is already sold out?
I got my Onell set already, still waiting for my flesh and black sets from Kickstarter. The molding is nice, the designs are cool, I like 'em, worth what I paid. Considering buying the variant colors too.

-Paul Segal

I'm looking for an Onell Pheyden Blue set if anybody wants to sell. I'll pay $25 + shipping.

Found this picture on Octobertoys and it totally reminds me of why these toys resonate so well with me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 04:55PM by Scopedog.
Attachments:
open | download - imageotl.jpg (199.7 KB)
Yeah, but the MUSCLE logo and card deco are so much more appealing.

[prometheusrising.net]
I think they're both appealing and they pull on my nostalgia strings almost equally.

Meh... the Rolling Stones tongue seems totally out of place.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer