Music that Ben will hate

Posted by servbot30 
josh fraser (Moderator)
Sanjeev your going to complain about over intellectualizing a thread about something silly and meaningless?

Please... Ha.
Sanjeev (Admin)
What!?

Take your racist action figures and get the he---oh wait...what??

;)
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Prometheum5 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ... When I am just straight listening
> > to music, I usually just lean back in my chair
> and
> > close my eyes and let myself get sucked in.
>
>
> You do not. You lean back, close your eyes, and
> let the white-noise-of-the-day shout down the
> constant white noise in your own brain. I've got
> you figured out, kid! ;)
>

Damn, you really do. Your music selections continue to satisfy the original intend of this thread. So boring, they barely sound like music at all. The one with the Sax at first had promise, but then fully disappointed.

To keep with Fraser's idea, I just want to say that I generally consider Trent Reznor to be the true master of making boring music. Perfect Drug and Head Like a Hole are mildly glimmering exceptions, but man, I can't for the life of me understand why people would listen to a NIN album the whole way through. The best thing I can say about them is that I actually like the AFI cover of head Like a Hole.

And man, Joshb really brought the shit in his last post. Eight tracks and not a person that knows how to sing, compose a melody, or play an instrument among them. Christ.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
josh fraser (Moderator)
"The best thing I can say about them is that I actually like the AFI cover of head Like a Hole. "

I can't even fathom that statement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2011 05:26PM by josh fraser.
I find this thread to satisfy my hunger for teh lulz.
Didn't think you'd get away without some gi'tar, Southern twang, and kazoo stuff did ya?

Beat Farmers: Happy Boy , aka The Hubba hubba hubba song.
[www.youtube.com]

Is this vid Ben's post graduate beer-pong-ing lifesyle? I HOPE not, =oS
[www.youtube.com]

OT,..
Not helping any with teh hate, as you probably already have The Roots stuff
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2011 12:26AM by repairtechjon.
josh fraser (Moderator)
Sanjeev Wrote:

> Anyway, since Ben's never met a black person
> (har!), I'ma stick to the rap tip:
> Casualties of War
> Bust Yo Shit
> Headbanger
> Louder Than a Bomb (Greatest Misses ver)
> Ghetto Bastard

Great selections.

A few of my own

[www.youtube.com] PE

[www.youtube.com] Tribe called quest.

[www.youtube.com] Fishbone

[www.youtube.com] Tricky

[www.youtube.com] U-GOD Feat. Method Man - Wu-Tang

[www.youtube.com] Mos Def

[www.youtube.com] Jay

[www.youtube.com] Biggie

[www.youtube.com] Slick Rick

[www.youtube.com] KRS 0ne

[www.youtube.com] NWA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2011 07:09PM by josh fraser.
josh fraser (Moderator)
"To keep with Fraser's idea, I just want to say that I generally consider Trent Reznor to be the true master of making boring music"

I don't know man, even if you don't like Reznor or his music, "King of Boring"? ( Soundtrack stuff doesn't count)

Been to a dozen NIN shows since 91' and they never feel anything short of chaotic.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2011 07:44PM by josh fraser.
Erik Sjoen (Admin)
Wow.. This thread....

First, I would like to thank all the guys for dropping some great tracks. Really brought me back and got me totally stoked.

Ben, as you didn't grow up with any interesting music, you get a pass from me. You stroking off to Tegan and Sarah makes me laugh so hard my 35 year old ass just almost had a stroke. BUT, I'm glad to see you listening to things like surrealistic pillow and the like. Doesn't matter to me how you found it (suck cock punch) at all, as long as you found it.

Other than this example, I feel your musical tastes are "wicked" terrible and you should be more open minded as just about EVERYTHING you point out has roots in many of the examples presented to you, and you still disregard them.. Hmmmm... My two cents.

Erik
josh fraser (Moderator)
Back on topic...

Positive you will hate these tracks Ben. ;-)

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
Rap battle!

Kool Keith - [www.youtube.com]

Busta Rhymes - [www.youtube.com]

Army of the Pharaohs - [www.youtube.com]

Busdriver - [www.youtube.com]

Fat Boys - [www.youtube.com]

De La Soul - [www.youtube.com]

Wu-Tang Clan - [www.youtube.com]
> And man, Joshb really brought the shit in his last
> post. Eight tracks and not a person that knows
> how to sing, compose a melody, or play an
> instrument among them. Christ.

Haha, ben, you sound like me when I was in college. Now I consider this high praise!

[www.youtube.com]

And now, music I like that I think Ben might actually like:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com] - brilliant video

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

And Finally...

[www.youtube.com]
This is totally Ben

[www.youtube.com]
repairtechjon Wrote:
> Didn't think you'd get away without some gi'tar,
> Southern twang, and kazoo stuff did ya?
>
> Beat Farmers: Happy Boy , aka The Hubba hubba
> hubba song.
> [www.youtube.com]
> =related
>
> Is this vid Ben's post graduate beer-pong-ing
> lifesyle? I HOPE not, =oS
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> OT,..
> Not helping any with teh hate, as you probably
> already have The Roots stuff
> [www.youtube.com]

If I drank beer, the Billy Currington video would be downright eerie. Spectacularly fun song and video as it is.

Josh- The Cream cover is actually pretty awesome, and the Nerf Herder track is downright adorable. OK Go is always also a good time, and I think you know how I feel about Zebrahead. Glorious. It's really too bad that when the first lead singer left he went and formed I Hate Kate, which is really unspectacular. The MSI video was good, too. While I would never be so audacious as to call them GOOD, they sure are fun.

Fraser- I'll catch the most flak yet for this, but I honestly cannot even see or hear The Smiths and take them seriously. I hate to just genuinely dismiss a band with such a devoted following, but seeing that video just made me giggle. As for The Clash, London Calling is fine, but I'll take Should I Stay over that any day. The Fugazi track I can actually appreciate and enjoy some of what it did for what came next.

[prometheusrising.net]
No Nerf Herder mention is complete without this one. [www.youtube.com] "Girl at the Video Game Store"

(sorry I"m not playing the hate game good enough. I'll dig something up.

and lil' Joshb, where's Positive-K in your "rap battle" list, huh? Totally hardcore, ....heeehee
[www.youtube.com]
MSW
This thread needs Psychostick...

[www.youtube.com]
replicantgirl Wrote:
> Faith No More (from their best album)
> [www.youtube.com]
>
Whoa. Instant flashback. Still remember the day this album came out, because my friend picked it up and we listened to this particular track, like, 30 times in a row.

josh fraser:
>And pretty much ANYTHING by the Gorillaz:

Been digging this track lately:

[www.youtube.com]
The outfits in the Positive-K video make me so giddy.

[prometheusrising.net]
I'll see your Positive-K and raise you a Biz Markie.
[www.youtube.com]
josh fraser (Moderator)
"Fraser- I'll catch the most flak yet for this, but I honestly cannot even see or hear The Smiths and take them seriously. I hate to just genuinely dismiss a band with such a devoted following, but seeing that video just made me giggle".

Ben, you realize thats sort of the point? That song is very tongue and cheek. It is overwrought for a reason. I think it helps to not always take a song at face value. Music is still an art form, regardless of how throw away much of it has become in the past decade or two. I feel to really get as much out of it as you can, I try to pay attention to the nuances and lyrics before you make too many sweeping judgements. There are bands I initially did not like, that once I actually sat down and tried to look at without personal bias, started to make more sense. Not with every band, but the ones that culturally seem to matter.

Of course listen to what you want, and enjoy what moves you, who the hell is anyone to judge you at the end of the day. But also try to give music the same open minded respect you give your personal art. Otherwise you just become a rigid philistine.

Just because you don't see its appeal, does not negate its value. I guess I am a bit of a snob about being aware of influences and the history behind genres and how music has evolved. I try to have as wide an interest as possible. I was in a band for 8 years and lived and breathed many kinds of sound when playing with others. The more I learn the less I realize I know, and it makes me want to see more.

Anyway less seriousness monologues , more fun now.

Here are some more you might hate: ( But I think there might be some you don't) Something a little more chill and pop, wish some retro New wave ( because you seem to like the Erythmics)

[www.youtube.com] M83

[www.youtube.com] Jarvis Cocker and Kid Loco cover Sergio Gansbourg.

[www.youtube.com] Stereolab

[www.youtube.com] ( I sincerely hope you don't hate this as it is fucking beautiful) Arcade fire with Bowie

[www.youtube.com] Cat Power

[www.youtube.com] Bill Rieflen

[www.youtube.com] ( I bet you actually would like Throwing muses)

[www.youtube.com] Souxsie

(Many female post punk/ pop stars owe this women.) Bands like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs would not exist without her.

[www.youtube.com] Jesus and mary Chain

[www.youtube.com]
I am still going to try a Smith song with you. A pretty universally beloved and commercial one. ;-)

[www.youtube.com] Love and Rockets

[www.youtube.com] The way Erik is with the Smiths..I am with Depeche Mode.

[www.youtube.com] XTC ( early)

[www.youtube.com] Joy Division. (Can't fuck with this band.)
josh fraser (Moderator)
My secret guilty pleasure. I still love this video.Remember the first time I saw it on MTV when it came out. Went out and bought the tape single and wore it out.

[www.youtube.com]
josh fraser Wrote:
> My secret guilty pleasure. I still love this
> video.Remember the first time I saw it on MTV when
> it came out. Went out and bought the tape single
> and wore it out.
>
>
>
> [www.youtube.com]

I really like LL Cool J in NCIS:LA.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I generally can't stand LL, but on the strength, I always loved his verse on EPMD's Rampage. Shit's fire...

(oh, he was kinda great in that shark movie!)
This is for the two higher level Joshes.

[www.youtube.com]
mcfitch (Admin)
"Black Sabbath- Wizard. Second track on their first album, one of their best ever"

If you like Sabbath at all you MUST love this song and band. [www.youtube.com]

Hillsy, thanks so much for posting Cocksparrer. I just got back from London last night and was craving them the entire time I was there. I had "England Belongs To Me" stuck in my head the whole week.

Ben, Sheer Terror? Just Can't hate Enough [www.youtube.com]
or my favorite of theirs Love Song for the Unloved (turn this one up really fucking loud to appreciate) [www.youtube.com]
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
josh fraser (Moderator)
Some sweet tracks from Maynard for you Ben. I personally feel Tool and Perfect Circle are still some of the most technical and dynamic, and smart rock bands out there.

Some songs can be really drawn out and long, but it holds up even after all these years. In chronological order ( sort of)

This is the first Tool song I was into in around 92'. At the time in HS I was into bands like Helmet, Ministry, and a lot of hardcore. Tool sort of combined a lot of the elements from different rock bands and did it in a really direct and smart way.

[www.youtube.com] Opiate

[www.youtube.com] Sober ( probably one of their most commercially successful songs.. along with Prison Sex)

[www.youtube.com] Judith

[www.youtube.com] ( The Nurse who loved me) Pretty slow track.

From their album emotive ( covers) Tough to cover songs this epic and not have it suck.

[www.youtube.com]

Also along with his work on Pucifer, I REALLY like this track

[www.youtube.com]

king crimson maynard together make me happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2011 03:21PM by josh fraser.
Never heard of The Sword before, but they sound like Sabbath, so that's fine by me. The Sheer Terror track was totally not for me, though.

[prometheusrising.net]
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

(I have no idea if Ben will hate these...I just felt like posting them)

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
servbot30 Wrote:
> This is for the two higher level Joshes.
>
> [www.youtube.com]

YES. thank you!
josh fraser (Moderator)
hillsy Wrote:
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> (I have no idea if Ben will hate these...I just
> felt like posting them)

All killer tracks. I love the Streets. That album was big when I was living in Japan in 02'. I remember listening to it a lot.
Thanks to Regan, this is where we're at:

[www.youtube.com]

Summer demands upbeat.

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> Thanks to Regan, this is where we're at:
>
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> Summer demands upbeat.

Maybe this ought to be the Music that Matt will Hate thread. For newer light stuff I'd much rather hear:

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

And when it's time for some energy:

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com] (yes I like cheesy old stuff)
[www.youtube.com] (heh, same here)
[www.youtube.com] (yes, pretty obvious)
[www.youtube.com] (gave up my tendency to listen to Industrial a while ago, but I always like this this one - so over the top and cheesy, and it's got tympanis and brass solos in it, fer christsake!)

I wanted to throw Digital Underground's "No Nose Jobs" in here somewhere, but there's no good Youtube version of it. Shame.

Eh, my memory for songs is incredibly poor. I always need to sort through my collection to pull out the really good stuff, but I left my MP3 player at home today. Some awfully good songs in the above list, and I wouldn't have expected to see someone post a Young Gods song in here... :)

More serious than thou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2011 11:56AM by fujikuro.
Sanjeev (Admin)
doe-dee oh-doe, there'll be no nose jobs
said, doe-dee oh-doe, no nose jobs.

haven't thought about that song (or album) in ages...fucking classic
I had three albums I primarily listened too all that Summer - "Sons of the P," PIL's "That What is Not" and Sade's "Love Deluxe."

More serious than thou
You only get what you give away

[youtu.be]
mcfitch (Admin)
I've seen that video before and it's fucking incredible! It make me wonder what my friends and I would have done at that age with the currently available technology.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
josh fraser (Moderator)
I actually think Ben would like these if he likes hot female vocalists with edgy hooks. I have not given up...yet. Babysteps.

A good old stand by about Shirley Manon's hatred of Christina Agulerra.

[www.youtube.com]

A few from SRC, which in my humble opinion is a very under rated band that sort of vanished...

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Then there was Curve with my teenage crush Toni Halliday.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Ok and as a last songs, are slower and more shoe gazey... from my favorite girl fronted band in the 90s. Mainly because Hope Sandoval was ( is still) so damn hot. Two of the best songs of that era in my opinion. The best beginning of a relationship and end of relationship songs..in order.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

(live when Mtv mattered)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 10:46AM by josh fraser.
Round 73! Now with more evil!

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be] (girl singer!!)

[youtu.be]
I clicked on just one of them, and it was the worst thing ever. Fuck.

[prometheusrising.net]
I love you, Ben. You're so much fun.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer