Music that Ben will hate

Posted by servbot30 
Thinking of a past thread with Ben hating on Slayer made me think... what other bands will Ben hate if it isn't Teagen and Sarah? Round 1. FIGHT!

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
josh fraser (Moderator)
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Three of my favorite of all time.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha, woke up to this thread... So, starting from the top.

Joshb- Number 1 started out good until they started singing. Then it sounded like everything else, and bad. Number 2 wasn't as offensive sounding, but it was incredibly dull, and the video made me want to punch infants.

Fraser- The recording on your first one is just so bad that I can't make a call... that track could be good live, but fuck if I can tell. Number 2 was again, just incredibly boring. Number 3 is actually tolerable. Doesn't do anything to stand out for me, but I didn't turn it off halfway.

Sanjeev- Your two examples have swung so far into the message delivery side and forgot to be music that I cannot fathom how people would listen to those tracks recreationally.

For a sampling of what I've been listening to lately:

Mindless Self Indulgence- [www.youtube.com]
Don't hold me to the content of the music video on this one... I don't watch music videos because they are usually stupid like this one.

Jefferson Aiplane-[www.youtube.com]

Sucker Punch cover of Jefferson Airplane- [www.youtube.com]

Black Sabbath- Wizard. Second track on their first album, one of their best ever- [www.youtube.com]

My friend introduced me to this EP... just incredible- [www.youtube.com]

And, to round it out: Meat fucking Loaf- [www.youtube.com]

Take all that as you will. For further research, consult this: [www.last.fm]

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
josh fraser (Moderator)
Fraser- The recording on your first one is just so bad that I can't make a call... that track could be good live, but fuck if I can tell. Number 2 was again, just incredibly boring. Number 3 is actually tolerable. Doesn't do anything to stand out for me, but I didn't turn it off halfway.

Not surprised in the least.

Track 1: Ha, You are obviously not a fan of the purposely Post Punk fuzzy grit magic of Steve Albini. One of the most respected analog producers out there. Most of those emo bands you like, all love him like a god.

I bet you hate the Pixies too.

Track 2: If you actually liked the Swans I would have been shocked. Loudest band outside of My Bloody Valentine.

Track 3: He is French. I assumed you would have dug it more than the others.
In Ben's defense, I love Mindless Self Indulgence. But I also love Big Black so you know, whatever!

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Fraser- No, I don't need music to sound intentionally poorly made. Makes no sense to me. If bands I listen to are influenced by it, then that's fine, but it doesn't make any difference for me. I think I tend to get hooked on kinda narrow vertical slices of music evolution. I love Zeppelin and Sabbath, and even appreciate earlier pioneers like Creedence Clearwater Revival, but I'm not necessarily a far of many bands that would develop out of those evolutions. Rock? Yes, Metal? No. I'll jam out to Guns'N'Roses and Twisted Sister, but once you get into the 90's hard rock and 'metal' really slips for me. At the same time, I like modern 'alternative' bands like Alkaline Trio or MCR, but really don't get into their forefathers like The Ramones, or The Cure, or Moss Icon. Maybe a song here or there, but not overall.

I do like the Pixies' track from the end of Fight Club, but am not really familiar with any more of their work than that. I can't fault them though, because through trying to look them up and thinking of the wrong band, I discovered Muse, who has some really incredible stuff among some really boring and lousy stuff.

Today I grabbed the Best of Van Halen. My car speakers don't get much louder than when Panama or You Really Got Me come on.

[prometheusrising.net]
josh fraser (Moderator)
Here is more Albini Ben. His project ( the commercially names) Rapeman.

I am 100% positive Ben, you will hate it. ;-)

[www.youtube.com]

In all seriousness. Give these a try Ben. 10 examples of music I like.

1. [www.youtube.com]

Fever Ray cover of Mercy street.

2. [www.youtube.com]

Off the New Killing joke album.

3. [www.youtube.com]

Grinderman ( Nick cave) Remixed by UNKLE

4. [www.youtube.com]

PJ Harvey's new album.

5. [www.youtube.com]

Low.

6. [www.youtube.com]

Does it Offend you yeah.

7. [www.youtube.com]

Ladytron

8. [www.youtube.com]

My favorite Wilco song.

9. [www.youtube.com]

EL-P with Reznor

10. [www.youtube.com]

And of course anything by My Bloody Valentine.
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

pick your poison.....

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
1. HA!

2. That song gets bitches wet, sir. Get down wit it!

Also. EW Guns n roses.

---

[www.youtube.com]

A place to bury strangers - Ego death. I will incredibly surprised if Fraser hasn't heard these guys. The single loudest band I've ever seen.

[www.youtube.com]

Who doesn't like Rainbow in the dark?

[www.youtube.com]

Speaking of getting bitches wet..

Type O Negative - In praise of bacchus. One of my fave bands from when I first heard em 300 years ago in high school

[www.youtube.com]

Murder by death - Rum Brave. Evil country music.
josh fraser (Moderator)
servbot30 Wrote:

>
> A place to bury strangers - Ego death. I will
> incredibly surprised if Fraser hasn't heard these
> guys. The single loudest band I've ever seen.
>
> [www.youtube.com]
>

Ha...SECOND loudest band. I have seen them play in NY...but My Bloody Valentine is still the loudest.

Though I will admit the Swans show I saw recently was very close to being the same intensity and would be at the same level as A place to bury strangers.
josh fraser (Moderator)
[www.youtube.com]

they played SXSW a couple weeks ago. I was told it was loud to the point of passing out.

to compare to these "oldtimers"

[www.youtube.com]
Killing Joke was decent... a little lethargic, but OK. Grinderman's pretty dull to me, too. PJ Harvey was tolerable, but the pretension dripping out of the video turned me right off. Low was similarly bland, with a shockingly bad video. Does if offend you sounded pretty good... a little too much background sampling crap in parts, but this one I'm actually enjoying. Most of the rest of this is just dull...

The A Place to Bury Strangers track is actually pretty fun... might have to investigate them further. And no, I cannot argue with anyone liking Dio. I don't know much about his solo career, but Heaven and Hell is one of my favorite Sabbath albums.

Overall, you people disappoint.

[prometheusrising.net]
josh fraser (Moderator)
Hmm, maybe it is a generational gap? Or maybe I suck...

If you find this dull, lethargic, bland or pretnetious... then I got nothing.

[www.youtube.com]
Nah, that's fine. Better than the others at least.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Prometheum5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Overall, you people disappoint.

I thought that was the point.

If you liked something I was into...I'd likely be frightened...
Hillsy, the Cock Sparrer track is... good? I actually really dug that. Fun.

[prometheusrising.net]
C'mon....if there was one word I'd use to describe GG Allin, it would HAVE to be "fun"!

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
I'm not lucky enough to have seen MBV live so Strangers are the loudest I've seen. :P But since we're talking loud.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
servbot30 Wrote:
> I'm not lucky enough to have seen MBV live so
> Strangers are the loudest I've seen. :P But since
> we're talking loud.
>
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> [www.youtube.com]

Kill yourself.

[prometheusrising.net]
josh fraser (Moderator)
I have a few Empire/Merzbow albums. I LOVE Alec. The poor man's Reznor, but angrier.

Atari Teenage Riot got me through college.

Don't make me break out the Zeni Geva Josh b.
DO IT.
> servbot30 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm not lucky enough to have seen MBV live so
> > Strangers are the loudest I've seen. :P But
> since
> > we're talking loud.
> >
> > [www.youtube.com]
> >
> > [www.youtube.com]
> >
> > [www.youtube.com]

I see your Merzbow and raise you a Dissecting Table

[youtu.be]

ANYWAY, I honestly have no respect for MSI since an ex toured with them and was able to recite Jimmy's clever crowd banter verbatim because it was the same in every city.

Here's some stuff:

Birthday Massacre (not a fan myself but I think you may like them based on other interests)
[www.youtube.com]

more Killing Joke (oh hey, that melody sounds familiar)
[youtu.be]

Coil (you're going to hate this...but I guess that was the point of this?)
[www.youtube.com]

Meat Beat Manifesto
[www.youtube.com]

Faith No More (from their best album)
[www.youtube.com]

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (maybe more accessible than Grinderman?)
[www.youtube.com]

The Pixies (the song from Fight Club is Where Is Your Mind?...here are others)
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Front 242
[www.youtube.com]

The Knife (The song is pretty fun and catchy but I'm pretty sure it's about rape)
[www.youtube.com]

"she walks softly but carries a big gun"
I forgot Shiny Toy Guns! I think you would like them

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

"she walks softly but carries a big gun"
Haven't gotten to the other links yet, but yeah, I really like this Birthday Massacre stuff. Worth further perusing, for sure. Totally unnerving videos, too, but with a great aesthetic. Dig it.

Edit: Shiny Toy Guns seem to hold promise as well.

[prometheusrising.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2011 12:03AM by Prometheum5.
If you liked Birthday Massacre you might like Collide.

[www.youtube.com]
There's the Ramones and Sloppy Seconds... then everyone else. If all other music were to disappear tomorrow, bummer but life goes on. Erase either of these bands though and I wanna go with'em.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

After that, Hillsy's right, Cock Sparrer.
[www.youtube.com]

The Residents
[www.youtube.com]

Ween
[www.youtube.com]

The World/Inferno Friendship Society
[www.youtube.com]

The Mountain Goats
[www.youtube.com]

Neutral Milk Hotel
[www.youtube.com]

Paul Simon
[www.youtube.com]

James
[www.youtube.com]

Obviously, I could do this all day, but these are the artists I find myself most drawn to. Although I like much of what Fraser and Regan are into as well, I offer these as I think they are mostly in a much different vein.

Oh, and when I'm angry, nothing beats some Blood For Blood.
[www.youtube.com]

"There's no Bigfoot in The Awakening." -James Bickert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2011 12:48AM by Nekrodave.
The Damned:
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
(they also do more epic rock songs, and most of their clips are awesome)

Hawkwind:
[www.youtube.com]

Sigue Sigue Sputnik:
[www.youtube.com]
(for added laughs, they sold their first record by effectively trolling EMI)

Sirenia:
[www.youtube.com] (no video)

Kula Shaker:
[www.youtube.com]

Monster Magnet:
[www.youtube.com]

I've skipped stuff like Motorhead, since you already mentioned it.
Iwrestledabearonce:
[www.youtube.com]

The Ocean:
[www.youtube.com]

The Damned Things:
[www.youtube.com]

Every Time I Die:
[www.youtube.com]

Emmure:
[www.youtube.com]

Harold Budd:
[www.youtube.com]

Biosphere:
[www.youtube.com]

Boards of Canada:
[www.youtube.com]

Protest the Hero:
[www.youtube.com]

Shiina Ringo:
[www.youtube.com]

FC Kahuna
[www.youtube.com]
josh fraser (Moderator)
JoshB Wrote:
> Iwrestledabearonce:
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> The Ocean:
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> The Damned Things:
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> Every Time I Die:
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> Emmure:
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> Harold Budd:
> [www.youtube.com]
> =related
>
> Biosphere:
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> Boards of Canada:
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> Protest the Hero:
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> Shiina Ringo:
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> FC Kahuna
> [www.youtube.com]

You always have the best taste in music. I still have your mix cds from years ago.
Saw Emmure live with Suicide Silence like 2 years ago. BROOOOOOTAL

Suicide Silence - [www.youtube.com]

Arsonists Get All The Girls - [www.youtube.com]

Under The Scythe - [www.youtube.com]

Heaven Shall Burn - [www.youtube.com]

King Conquer - [www.youtube.com]

Gojira - [www.youtube.com]

Crotchduster - [www.youtube.com]

KYPCK - [www.youtube.com]

want more?
I haven't checked the last couple of posts worth of tracks because I am now thoroughly entrenched in Birthday Massacre, so I'd say this thread did not turn out entirely as you intended, Josh ;)

[prometheusrising.net]
josh fraser (Moderator)
Although I have to admit Ben, I am trying to comprehend what was pretentious about the PJ Harvey video, and not so with the Birthday Massacre one.

The first one, may be accused of being boring, and not compelling visually, but at least it is not a Twighlight meets Evil Dead doll circle jerk.

;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2011 08:40PM by josh fraser.
I dunno where the other half of your post went, but I suppose it may be something of a generational gap and shift in expectations from music. I like to think that I have some vestige of an attention span, but I won't deny that I do look for things that very quickly hook me when checking out new music. That's not to say that I don't have an appreciation for a more nuanced performance, but in general I am looking for music that quickly and actively engages me in some fashion when first exploring a new band. I think I tend to enjoy stuff that is almost sing-along melodic, or anthemic, and suitably 'rock-ey' (Note: Sanjeev calls this 'insipid'). The first music I really remember past like, Sesame Street songs is listening to Bat our of Hell I and II in the car with my mom. That's 'active' music with meaningful lyrics that you can follow, ups and downs, dynamic tempos, all sorts of crescendos and pacing. It doesn't try and take you lying down, and instead demands that you get up and into it.

As for videos, I rarely watch any at all because, besides from videos of the bands just performing a song, I think they're generally crap. That said, the PJ Harvey one dripped with obnoxiousness to me with all its seeming attempts at 'deep' images or whatever horseshit they were trying to sell. The Massacre videos have an aesthetic I like, and are otherwise just silly, like you mentioned, but they still don't make me want to hit anyone. They aren't trying to be anything more than shots of the band performing and some silly costumes and themes. They're still dumb, but they're engaging. No obtuse, naval-gazing shots of museums or old ladies or ducks in a pond.

[prometheusrising.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2011 12:54AM by Prometheum5.
josh fraser (Moderator)
Eh, I was getting too wordy. But you get the gist of it.

I think your reading too much into that video Ben. Compared to most others PJ does, it is pretty banal and non descript. I get no reaction out of watching it. Not trying to harp, but I am struggling with finding enough emotion to hate something that boring. I don't think it was deep images , if anything just matter of fact, mundane ones that had something to do with her, or the film maker's snippets of memory. So it felt obtuse and sentimental, but meaningless to almost anyone else viewing it.

I also tend to disagree and think there are some genuinely good videos out there. You just have to not look for songs you like as the catalyst for watching them, and look at the work objectively from a visual standpoint.

from a PURE visual perspective here are a few videos that I think are pretty rich. Of course it helps I like all these bands.

[www.youtube.com] Jay Z

[www.youtube.com] Massive Attack

[www.youtube.com] Butterfly Caught ( love this video)

[www.youtube.com] Bjork

[www.youtube.com] NIN

[www.youtube.com] Sigor Ros

[www.youtube.com] Jihae

[www.youtube.com] The Knife
josh fraser (Moderator)
Then of course I kinda Love Die Antwoord. Haha,

[www.youtube.com] ( NWS)
josh fraser (Moderator)
You must Like these Ben.

[www.youtube.com]

And pretty much ANYTHING by the Gorillaz:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

This is still my favorite vide of theirs.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2011 09:15AM by josh fraser.
Yeah, I mean, the videos in that last post are certainly better than the others. I have heard that first track by the Gorillaz before, but they're never really impressed me either. A friend of mine was way into them in high school.

I just really have no use for videos and never seek them out. When I am just straight listening to music, I usually just lean back in my chair and close my eyes and let myself get sucked in.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> ... When I am just straight listening
> to music, I usually just lean back in my chair and
> close my eyes and let myself get sucked in.

You do not. You lean back, close your eyes, and let the white-noise-of-the-day shout down the constant white noise in your own brain. I've got you figured out, kid! ;)

This thread deeply disappoints me. All this intellectualizing. The goal is to post shit Ben would hate...not post silly theories why or why not! And certainly not to find common ground. 'Cause where would the humor in that be!? :P

Incidentally, I can't stand Jay, but that "On to the Next One" video IS tight, Josh. Also, big ups to Hill for the Deep Cover tracks. Fucking Pun, man...jesus...when we lost him and Big L, I was hurt so much more than when we lost Pac and Biggie. Just saying.

Anyway, since Ben's never met a black person (har!), I'ma stick to the rap tip:
Casualties of War
Bust Yo Shit
Headbanger
Louder Than a Bomb (Greatest Misses ver)
Ghetto Bastard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer