Major Quake

Posted by MattAlt 
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Giant...green...slice of life cartoon?

A colleague does research on the social/economic effects of disasters. He mentioned that despite the horrific loss of life and property, disasters are usually beneficial to society in terms of economic growth via redevelopment. He suggested that this might actually pull Japan out of its economic doldrums once the event has concluded.

He did not mention anything about the long term effects of populating a city with gamma irradiated beings preoccupied with the daily life of ditsy teenage girls. I'm should check in on that with him...
Sanjeev wrote:
>Inner cities, on the other hand, are subjected to vast amounts of particulate pollution (as has been stated before) from fossil fuel burning...and their populations have statistically shown higher incidences of a variety of health problems from asthma to cancer. Their...often browner...populations. Funny how that works.

So... you're saying the often browner populations are polluting the cities? You racist. ;)

Seriously though, we got a one line message on the news feed, and it's getting around our local media that the Pickering Power Plant had a leak of demineralized water into Lake Ontario! But don't worry... it's negligible...
I love spin.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Giant...green...slice of life cartoon?
>
> The horror...the horror...

UGUUUU...HIKARI SMASH!!!! After a bath and some milk tea with a parfait from the cafe, of course....
Sanjeev (Admin)
RainBot Wrote:
> So... you're saying the often browner populations
> are polluting the cities? You racist. ;)

LOL...you get that anthrax I sent you in the mail yet, punk???

KWESI, NOOOOOO!!!

Incidentally, on the way home from work today, I heard a little of Katie Couric's CBS Evening News show. They had someone on, no lie, saying that TWO Fukushima reactors' RPVs had been breached. I almost crashed my fucking car.

It's fascinating to me...

You could argue that I'm fairly socially liberal (though I'd likely beat your ass). What some humans call "Fox News" drives me up a fucking wall with their insidious conservative indoctrination. Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh are two piles of human filth I'd take rapturous joy in pushing, directly by hand, into a giant meat grinder.

But as soon as nuke comes up, the script gets completely flipped. I have absolutely no love for CNN to begin with, but they and other liberal news outlets turn into rabid vermin whenever this fucking topic arises. Why? 'Cause conservatives are traditionally pro-nuke. George W can suck a dick with AIDS...but he actually pushed pretty hard for new nuclear plants in the US. And that's despite his obvious oil ties. [Well...that doesn't mean he did JACK SHIT for fusion research...]

They can all burn in hell, but I just thought that lil tidbit was worth ranting about...
That nice blond lady has her own news show. You collect stupid rubber space-bug dollies. Who do think we're gonna listen to? Sheesh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2011 12:51AM by repairtechjon.
RainBot Wrote:
> Seriously though, we got a one line message on the
> news feed, and it's getting around our local media
> that the Pickering Power Plant had a leak of
> demineralized water into Lake Ontario! But don't
> worry... it's negligible...
> I love spin.

People ought to know that dihydrogen monoxide is a very dangerous chemical that unfortunatedly occurs in great quantities in the natural environment! Government action is obviously required against this great danger!

73,000 liters in a body of water 1,640 cubic kilometers of water (1,640,000,000,000,000 liters) is negligible, and likely below what occurs naturally therein (not to mention other polutants).

This made me think of another horror-scenario: people are buying up bottled water, but let's hope they won't start buying up demineralized water once the bottled water is finished. Demineralized water is not fit for human consumption due to the lack of minerals. It will screw up your osmotic balance and be worth a trip to hospital (or worse). On the other hand, 'too dumb to live' would be at play...

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
thomas Wrote:

> People ought to know that dihydrogen monoxide is a
> very dangerous chemical

Bullshit is one of my favourite shows.
Their tap water/bottles water ep is classic.
Look at what Kunio Okawara drew.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Attachments:
open | download - 1300373658260.jpg (105.5 KB)
josh fraser (Moderator)
It just bums me out that everyone is so focussed on the power plants that the rest of the destruction and lives lost seem to have taken a back seat.
Josh has a point, but unfortunatedly the media are also massively focussed on the power plants, except when they keep showing pictures of the same locations again and again (Yes, I know Sendai Airport has been flooded and partially destroyed, I don't need to see it from yet another angle - what about the other cities that were reportedly destroyed?)... :(

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
The lack of food and resources (gasoline, water, electricity) around the devastated areas have made lives at the shelters difficult. As the traffic network being repaired, people in need of medical help have been transported to other hospitals and refugees sent to other prefectures for better care. Temporary housings are also under construction around the quake stricken areas. What is comforting to know is that around the country people offer to open their own houses for refugees.
That Matt sure gets around these days...

[www.boingboing.net]
Just posted about this on Skullbrain, figured I'd share it here if people are looking for a place to donate. Organization that sends boxes of useful stuff and they are currently working in Japan:

[www.shelterbox.org]
Anonymous User
The Muv Luv gang are voicing their support, with a new image every day:

[www.age-soft.jp]
[www.animenewsnetwork.com]

Awwwww.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
You may or may not have seen this, but 3A are putting this on sale on the 29th with all associated costs going to a Japanese quake relief charity:

I'm going to try to nab one myself.

More serious than thou
josh fraser (Moderator)
6.5 Aftershock today. ;-(
MattAlt (Admin)
We've had literally 800+ in the last two weeks. Don't worry, Japan's still here. :)

Here's an animated map showing the shaking:

[www.japanquakemap.com]
josh fraser (Moderator)
Well I am happy you guys are ok. ;-)
Not sure if real yet, but sure cool idea.
[robotpilipinas.blogspot.com]

edit: original source listed as "Inquirer" so, uh..oh well. Still a cool pic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2011 01:24AM by repairtechjon.
Another quake. cohiba and Matt, please check in?
F-ZeroOne Wrote:
> Possibly the best description yet of why we should
> not all be reaching for the RadAway just yet:
>
> [morgsatlarge.wordpress.com]
> -am-not-worried-about-japans-nuclear-reactors/

I realize that this was a month ago, but I thought this was interesting:

[www.salon.com]
MattAlt (Admin)
Hard to believe it's been a year already.

[www.cnngo.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer