Ashley Wood 3A Stuff

Posted by fujikuro 
That Square Mk.2 looks AMAZING. I'm just going to pretend it's 1/12 and that it's a huge freakin' robot.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Paul, you're crazy but that would totally work. It's not like 3A makes a great effort to differentiate the scale of the paintwork between sizes, so it'd blend in OK.

If you guys'll forgive me two more shots, I'm just breaking in new equipment...

If I had to make a complaint, it'd be that I wish both of the TQs I've managed to score didn't have the same hair style.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Prometheum5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Her... uh... lady bits are actually pierced,

Hip.

And edgy.

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army
For non girly stuff, the World War Robot portable Jungle Battle set arrived today, featuring Jung de Plume and the Jungler Dropcloth.

Prometheum5 Wrote:
> The portable Dropcloth is insane... they
> replicated it perfectly at half the size of the
> 1/6 version. Only problem is, that means the
> hands are suuuuuper tiny, to the point that they
> couldn't even hold up the chaingun out of the box.
> I added a metal pin to the palm and drilling
> holes in all the weapon handles like on a Gundam
> kit.

I got mine to hold the gun fine with the palm facing up. But the rear handle is still a hassle. What size pin did you use? And did you drill the forward grip on the chaingun, too?

I noticed that the skirt on this DC is a little loose around the waist and hangs from the familiar hooks, whereas the Slaughterhouse DC had a tight skirt and no hooks (thought it does have holes in the waist for the hooks). Odd.

Already started customizing Der Pluminator and am looking for some more weapons in that scale. Any suggestions?
That's why you need fixed posed hands.
I only put a pin in the right palm, and drilled holes in the trigger grip on the chaingun and pistol, even though the pistol really didn't need it. Didn't bother drilling the shotgun, since Jung is using it. May yet mod the machete. I did not bother doing anything to the forward grip on the chaingun, since my Dropcloth can now hold the chaingun one handed by the trigger grip.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sanjeev (Admin)
What's a "chaingun"?
Sanjeev Wrote:
> What's a "chaingun"?

It's a leveled-up version of a rope-gun, which itself is an upgraded string-gun.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Thanks...I've been meaning to upgrade my speaker wire-gun...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Thanks...I've been meaning to upgrade my speaker
> wire-gun...

I'll trade you my thread-pistol.

I was able to pick up the De Plume / Dropcloth three-pack for pretty much the original price because, I guess, they aren't that popular as a set. I can see why. While Kuan and Commando Uncles are slick figures, the other one in the pack, Fuck Face De Plume, is utterly forgettable. And together they include only minimal accessories - making the Jungle Plume / Dropcloth the most tricked-out and value-heavy WWRp figures yet. Still, they're all tasty and I recommend them heartily to all.
It's funny, because Gebi de Plume, the derserty guy out of the 3pack, is the most valuable of those three in 1/6 by a big margin. Kuan ti with the face mask is one of the least popular because he's ass ugly.

[prometheusrising.net]
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> Already started customizing Der Pluminator and am
> looking for some more weapons in that scale. Any
> suggestions?

In 1/12 scale, right? If you want to dig around for older figures, there was the Special Forces line by Resaurus and then Plan-B Toys, with a ton of realistic military gear, and the short-lived, unloved Shadowrun Duels figure series, with some cool sci-fi weapons. Those series are pretty much realistically proportioned, though, so their guns may seem undersized in the beefy hands of the WWRp human figures.

-Paul Segal

So, the Zaku will be up tomorrow night for anyone that's interested. No other color variations, and price is $330. No word on if Bandai will have any available or at retail either... typical lack of details and seat of the pants planning. No, I am not buying one for that price.

[prometheusrising.net]
Anonymous User
Any word on the metal gear that is supposedly on sale this month?
It's supposedly on sale this month.

[prometheusrising.net]
Yep, not really feeling the Zaku, especially at $330.00...Ashley Wood has said on the 3A forums that more mechs are coming. Mazinger in next apparently and is a lot closer to the source material...apparently whether more are made depends on how well Zaku sells...
Sanjeev (Admin)
fel9 Wrote:
> ...apparently whether more are made
> depends on how well Zaku sells...

That's what they all say...

I shudder to imagine what he'd do to Mazinger.
Sanjeev...I agree...If you thought that Zaku was like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa, then a Mazinger would be like smashing the toe of the Pieta...

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Mr. Wood you have created a great sandbox of your own to play in now stay in it and focus. Don't go messing around in other's sandboxes, because as my dear departed Nanny used to say, "If you dig in the neighbor's sandbox long enough eventually you are bound to find a cat turd."
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> It's funny, because Gebi de Plume, the derserty
> guy out of the 3pack, is the most valuable of
> those three in 1/6 by a big margin. Kuan ti with
> the face mask is one of the least popular because
> he's ass ugly.

See, I actually like the more vibrant colors and oil rag draped over the gas mask on Kuan. To me, the latter makes it look a little bit like a WWI dough boy, as opposed to a modern fetish enthusiast like the unwrapped version with its huge, sucking mouth port and straining cheek lines.

The coolest thing on the Zack are the spindly fingers. They're great. The rest is not my thing, but whatever. I don't hate. As for Mazinger, I wouldn't mind seeing what they can do with it. Because, truly, do we need another iteration on the same old classic design? The one that's already been perfected in jumbo, vinyl, kit, action figure, and love-pillow form?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 09:52AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - dough boy.jpg (24.3 KB)
Also, do my eyes deceive me, or does the latest news letter say that the WWRp MK3 JEA Bertie will be shipping in January? Wasn't it supposed to be February?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, I agree with fel9...I mean, it doesn't actually bother me that he's branching out into other franchises...mostly because I don't give a shit and don't intend to buy any of his toys.

BUT, if I were a fan, I'd probably be annoyed as hell. I respect his WWR designs (I even own an Armstrong)--including the spindly finger motif. But as a fan, I'd prefer he stick to his own line and continue to flesh it out. For the Zaku and potential Maz, I'd be asking, "who's this for???"
Sanjeev: Ultimately I think that you are right. Who is the Zaku for indeed? Gundam fans? WWR fans...? I enjoy it on an intellectual level, as a thought experiment to use a phrase, but actual production is a stretch. The only folks I see buying this are the Ashley Wood completest...and to be honest there just aren't that many of them...

Gcrush: Yeah, the hands are the best part of the design. The engineering on those are impressive. I just wish they were attached to something from the already established line. And yes I have a couple of bots with articulated fingers, but these seem to have more of a flair...I agree with you about the Kuan-Ti, but I prefer the more subdued colors of Barguest.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, and just prove that there are no absolutes...

I actually AM looking forward to Wood's MaK toys...provided they are solid, fun toys (preferably with articulated fingers!).
Sanjeev: Again, I agree with you. From what I've seen of the WWR stuff 3A seems a good fit for MaK. The WWRp toys I have give me great hope for smallish fun powered armour.
Gcrush Wrote:
> As for Mazinger, I wouldn't mind seeing what they can
> do with it.

I'd love to see what Wood came up with for any other classic anime robots. 'Cause why not? I don't think he'd be making a regularly-styled Zaku or Mazinger under any circumstances - Bandai has those markets covered, if not saturated. It's not as if a Wood revision of the Zaku variety is impinging on the availability of the original design. The only damage is aesthetic, and it's completely compartmentalized away from the rest of the Gundam franchise.

Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> But as a fan, I'd prefer he stick to his own line
> and continue to flesh it out.

He's so prolific already - he always has been - that I somewhat doubt whether these side projects are having any negative effect on his original lines.

-Paul Segal

Sanjeev (Admin)
asterphage Wrote:
> Sanjeev Wrote:
> >
> > But as a fan, I'd prefer he stick to his own
> line
> > and continue to flesh it out.
>
> He's so prolific already - he always has been -
> that I somewhat doubt whether these side projects
> are having any negative effect on his original
> lines.

Oh sure--I realize that having additional offerings doesn't detract from existing ones...I just meant that if I were a fan, I'd want to see more *new* WWR designs. I mean, for all the millions of versions of his robot toys he has out, there's only--what?--a half dozen ACTUAL UNIQUE robot designs/sculpts? Instead of spending time fucksing with Zaks and Mazes, he could make more of what put him on the map in the first place.

Just a thought...

Afterall, *I* could make a Mazinger Z or a Zaku made outta fucking bent pipe-cleaners...and it would be completely different from any territory Bandai has ever covered with either character. Doesn't mean it'd be a good use of my time!
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> Afterall, *I* could make a Mazinger Z or a Zaku
> made outta fucking bent pipe-cleaners...and it
> would be completely different from any territory
> Bandai has ever covered with either character.
> Doesn't mean it'd be a good use of my time!

Well I'd like to see that!

-Paul Segal

asterphage Wrote:
> Sanjeev Wrote:
> >
> > Afterall, *I* could make a Mazinger Z or a Zaku
> > made outta fucking bent pipe-cleaners...and it
> > would be completely different from any
> territory
> > Bandai has ever covered with either character.
> > Doesn't mean it'd be a good use of my time!
>
> Well I'd like to see that!

Sanjeev: And Thus the gauntlet was tossed down before the mighty Reverend...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> asterphage Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sanjeev Wrote:
> > >
> > > But as a fan, I'd prefer he stick to his own
> > line
> > > and continue to flesh it out.
> >
> > He's so prolific already - he always has been -
> > that I somewhat doubt whether these side
> projects
> > are having any negative effect on his original
> > lines.
>
>
> Oh sure--I realize that having additional
> offerings doesn't detract from existing ones...I
> just meant that if I were a fan, I'd want to see
> more *new* WWR designs. I mean, for all the
> millions of versions of his robot toys he has out,
> there's only--what?--a half dozen ACTUAL UNIQUE
> robot designs/sculpts? Instead of spending time
> fucksing with Zaks and Mazes, he could make more
> of what put him on the map in the first place.
>
> Just a thought...
>

And, really, they're not all that "unique." The Bertie and Armstrong (Taller/Shorter) are awfully similar, as are the Dropcloth and Bramble (Skinny/Fat). While I understand that most toy lines involve mere variations on a theme, the constant re-use of elements and "colorways" of these is what finally killed it for me.

More serious than thou
asterphage Wrote:
> In 1/12 scale, right? If you want to dig around
> for older figures, there was the Special Forces
> line by Resaurus and then Plan-B Toys, with a ton
> of realistic military gear, and the short-lived,
> unloved Shadowrun Duels figure series, with some
> cool sci-fi weapons. Those series are pretty much
> realistically proportioned, though, so their guns
> may seem undersized in the beefy hands of the WWRp
> human figures.

Thanks for the tip. The prices on the Special Forces toys are nuts, but the Resaurus search lead me to something cool. Will blab about it after it arrives.

Sanjeev Wrote:
> Oh sure--I realize that having additional
> offerings doesn't detract from existing ones...I
> just meant that if I were a fan, I'd want to see
> more *new* WWR designs.

I'm the opposite. Unless there's a finite horizon to a toy line, I hate getting in because it's just going to keep on dragging along and possibly throwing more stuff at me that I might want to buy. Like, after I pick up a Lion-O to man-fight Mumm-Ra, I'm done with Bandai's Thundercats. I get fatigued from too much stuff coming out of a line. So I really wouldn't mind if the WWRp stuff slowed down to just a few releases a year.

> I mean, for all the
> millions of versions of his robot toys he has out,
> there's only--what?--a half dozen ACTUAL UNIQUE
> robot designs/sculpts?

Let me see... Just in WWR there's:

1.A. Square MK1
1.B. Square MK2
2.A. Bramble MK2
2.B. Bramble MK2.5 (Heavy)
3. Bertie MK2
4.A. Bertie MK3 (standard)
4.B. Bertie MK3 (cannons)
5.A. Martin (standard)
5.B. Martin (double barrel)
6.A. Armstrong G1
6.B. Armstrong G2
7. Dropcloth
8.A.i. Caesar (round head, symmetrical)
8.A.ii. Caesar (round head, asymmetrical)
8.B.i. Caesar (flat head, symmetrical)
8.B.ii. Caesar (flat head, asymmetrical)

As for uniqueness, consider that there's basically 8 robot bodies enough uniquely sculpted core parts (not weapons) to make roughly 16 different-enough models. (Keep in mind that I'm not counting differently sculpted hand-held weapons like shotguns and mini-guns as variations; of which, some models have as many as four handheld weapon configurations.) And each model has about a dozen drastically different complex color schemes, making up well over 150 unique toys. If they've been going for 48 months (since 2008?), that's more than 3 toys per month. And it doesn't include the human figures in WWR, the entire Popbot line, or the entire Adventure Cartel line. I can't even factor those in because they're too numerous.

I'd say, overall, 3A is pretty damn prolific with their original properties.

fujikuro Wrote:
> And, really, they're not all that "unique." The
> Bertie and Armstrong (Taller/Shorter) are awfully
> similar, as are the Dropcloth and Bramble
> (Skinny/Fat). While I understand that most toy
> lines involve mere variations on a theme, the
> constant re-use of elements and "colorways" of
> these is what finally killed it for me.

For me, that's part of the appeal since it reflects a certain truth regarding mass produced machinery. Look at how many significantly different categorical variations on consumer automobiles we have - motorcycle, sports car, sedan, wagon, truck. Everything else is just adjusting the proportions - raise the roof a little and the station wagon becomes a minivan, open the cargo space on the minivan and it becomes a truck, remove the top of the sports car and it's a convertible, round a corner and lengthen the frame and you get next year's model, and so on. And see how much people get bogged down and obsess over the minor variations in year-to-year differences between the same line? It's nuts. But that's human nature - we absolutely love to ponder over variation. 3A and Wood nailed it down to a science in their business model.
In thinking about the different 3A lines I actually like the fact that they are a mile wide and an inch deep. It gives the consumer a bunch of different ways to collect. I mean you could collect by color scheme (Deep Powder for example), by figure type (all Dropcloths), by scale (1/6th or 1/12th), people only, bots only, completest, and so on...Although I would think that being a completest would be maddening...Heck if you lurk the 3A board long enough you'll see folks that only collect the extremely rare limited editions. I tend to just grab the ones I like...but I digress...
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> Thanks for the tip. The prices on the Special
> Forces toys are nuts,

Damn, really? Back when they were out you couldn't give them away. I used to see series after series on clearance. It's too bad, I would like to have picked up a few that I missed someday.

On a more general note, check this out, you guys - a friend just linked me this page with a design drawing for Ashley Wood's Zaku, posted back when it was first announced:
[www.bandai-asia.com]
It's so... different. I wonder how the figure just came out looking like a Makoto Kobayashi homage.

-Paul Segal

Attachments:
open | download - www.bandai-asia.com ashley zzzzz.jpg (315.2 KB)
You guys are forgetting the most important part: it's Zaku, then Mazinger, then Jeeg!

[prometheusrising.net]
Anonymous User
More REX at the bottom. Still no price or release date...

[www.bambasia.com]
Here's the full set of Rex pics. MGS director Hideo Kojima's English Twitter reports that it has dino-damage option parts to replicate how Rex looked in MGS4, and also that Kojima refers to MGS character/mecha designer Yoji Shinkawa as "Shin-chan".

[twitter.com]

[twitter.com]

[twitter.com]

[twitter.com]

[twitter.com]

[twitter.com]

[twitter.com]

-Paul Segal

That's because Shin-chan is like a brrrrrrrrrother! to him.
I believe the current party line is that there will also be an eventual undamaged MGS1 version.

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> I believe the current party line is that there
> will also be an eventual undamaged MGS1 version.

Kojima's English Twitter says "Armor can be taken off and with that can be created damage REX from MGS4." which I took to mean that the figure would include damaged and undamaged parts. But the paint job on that sample he's got wouldn't quite work for undamaged Rex...

-Paul Segal

Full Krote reveal...it looks pretty dang good without paint. Lots of other stuff at the 3A prod blog...none of it I am very interested in...well other than the MaK stuff....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2012 11:40AM by fel9.
Attachments:
open | download - krote.jpg (49 KB)
open | download - krote2.jpg (51.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer