Ashley Wood 3A Stuff

Posted by fujikuro 
Is the weathering on badbot painted on or baked into the plastic? I sure love the industrial/ steam punk look of these figures. I remember a graphic novel I have that reminds me of these figures... D Troop or something?
Just wished I had managed to get on the bandwagon at the right time...

More serious than thou
Pro Stock John Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the weathering on badbot painted on or baked
> into the plastic? I sure love the industrial/
> steam punk look of these figures. I remember a
> graphic novel I have that reminds me of these
> figures... D Troop or something?

Painted on supposedly. It's good tough paint though. It doesn't feel at all like it might rub off or flake.

More serious than thou
OK, so my Deimos Heavy Bramble just arrived! Yeah, monster is right. I have no idea where I'll put this thing!

Love the color scheme - a sort of grayed down aqua and mustard yellow with some off-white parts as well.

Here's an image to show you scale. He's posed with the ROTF Leader Optimus Prime:

Ludicrously large! Not my tallest bot, but definitely my largest!

More serious than thou
Cool to see just how big that Heavy Bramble is Matt. Chunka-chunka!

Now, would you guys pleeez just shut up already? You got me sucked into this now.
Yesterday, I picked up a 1/12 Large Martin from the Tenacious Toys guy in NYC.
I always liked the look of the line since i saw the first Big Bertie giant size piece on display 3 or 4 years ago at NY Comic Con, but never bought in.
After seeing these in hand, I couldn't say no,for $45, the value compared to plenty of other designer vinyl was hard to beat, for a 9"+ figure.

I don't need a bunch, but it's cool to have, if only to school the wimpy, recalcitrant MicroKids in the ways of the wild.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 10:24PM by repairtechjon.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...I dig the Bioshock feel of that pic, Jon!
Oh, I didn't even think of Bioshock, but you're totally right sir..

The other one I got to see in person at ToyTokyo, that I'm surprised I liked was the big PopBot.
Happy Easter everyone!

mpchi Wrote:
> Happy Easter everyone!
>
> [i58.photobucket.com]%
> 203/FightingJC01.jpg

Jesus, I'm jealous. Heh.

More serious than thou
In case you might be interested the 2 and 3 packs of WWRp DePlume and Dropcloth go on salt tomorrow and this is what they look like....

The three pack is the 3AA exclusive....
Attachments:
open | download - dp2pack.jpg (271.2 KB)
open | download - dp3pack.jpg (248.2 KB)
Snagged the two-pack. Gets me a 1:12 human and the 1:12 DropclothNow I just have to wait for my Exegesis Fighting JC to arrive:

More serious than thou
The Exegesis I didn't pick. It has the right divine look (it was originally called the Divine Punch JC), but I didn't like the blonde hair. The Fighting JC has the right hair color for me with the cool looking robe, but I prefer it without the red stripes. While Mauro JC isn't among my favorites either, it has the perfect robe and additional accessories for my Tracky JC (really dig the T-shirt & the tracky suit weathering), to make my favorite combo. THIS is the right JC for me, and this figure is just too cool! :D

mpchi Wrote:
> The Exegesis I didn't pick. It has the right
> divine look (it was originally called the Divine
> Punch JC), but I didn't like the blonde hair. The
> Fighting JC has the right hair color for me with
> the cool looking robe, but I prefer it without the
> red stripes. While Mauro JC isn't among my
> favorites either, it has the perfect robe and
> additional accessories for my Tracky JC (really
> dig the T-shirt & the tracky suit weathering), to
> make my favorite combo. THIS is the right JC for
> me, and this figure is just too cool! :D
>
> [i58.photobucket.com]%
> 203/FightingJC02.jpg

I like the darker hair myself, though it's a toss up for me in regards to the clothes. I actually find the Tracky to be the least appealing. I'll have to see how Exegesis comes across in person, but it's likely that I will just do some customizing and give him dark hair. Though there's a bit of fun in having him be the usual blonde hair/blue eyes version of Jesus that we in the USA seem to prefer... ;)

More serious than thou
fel9 Wrote:
> In case you might be interested the 2 and 3 packs
> of WWRp DePlume and Dropcloth go on salt tomorrow
> and this is what they look like....
>
> The three pack is the 3AA exclusive....

I ended up ordering the two-fer. And I realized shortly after doing it that the delivery is for August. Which is waaay past the recovery period for credit cards companies to investigate and reverse charges if things should blow up. Not that 3A will go under this summer, but that's a pretty fucked up deal. It seems like they're getting you to finance their production process up-front, and maybe not even the production on the items you've ordered. I guess that's one way to grow a business, doesn't exactly instil a lot of confidence...
mpchi Wrote:
> The Exegesis I didn't pick. It has the right
> divine look (it was originally called the Divine
> Punch JC), but I didn't like the blonde hair. The
> Fighting JC has the right hair color for me with
> the cool looking robe, but I prefer it without the
> red stripes. While Mauro JC isn't among my
> favorites either, it has the perfect robe and
> additional accessories for my Tracky JC (really
> dig the T-shirt & the tracky suit weathering), to
> make my favorite combo. THIS is the right JC for
> me, and this figure is just too cool! :D
>
> [i58.photobucket.com]%
> 203/FightingJC02.jpg

BTW, do the nails (hah, great!) come with him, or was that your own addition?

More serious than thou
I added the nails on my own. Picked it up from OSH. Just get a few of the galvenized nail (with a very rough surface coating), and give it a brown paint wash or two for the weathered look. Then just use a red sharpie to add some blood stain and quickly wipe them off (so they don't look too fresh & saturated). Get them done in 10 mins, but adds quite a bit of coolness and fiction to the figure.

What else better fit him as his weapon of choice? ;)
Yeah, it's perfect. I'm going to have to rip off your idea I'm afraid,

More serious than thou
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> I ended up ordering the two-fer. And I realized
> shortly after doing it that the delivery is for
> August. Which is waaay past the recovery period
> for credit cards companies to investigate and
> reverse charges if things should blow up. Not
> that 3A will go under this summer, but that's a
> pretty fucked up deal. It seems like they're
> getting you to finance their production process
> up-front, and maybe not even the production on the
> items you've ordered. I guess that's one way to
> grow a business, doesn't exactly instil a lot of
> confidence...

Yeah it is a little disconcerting that there is 0% chance of getting your money back if the whole thing goes ka-boom...Heck in the shop there is the statement that there will be no refunds. So forget it if you change your mind...However, I have heard very positive things about 3A's customer service when the inevitable smashed shipping box arrives...

As for their production methods...I have no idea...From what I can decipher they only manufacture what they sell in terms of the general releases. I would assume that after the pre-order sessions they place their order with the manufacturing plant. The reason for the delay is that 3A is at the mercy of production schedule of whatever plant they use. Heaven forbid if there is a problem with any of the products. I have noticed that in most of the releases I have received the smell of fresh paint if VERY strong and in a couple of cases (like the neck bones of the zombie head the came with Fighting JC) still wet...This tells me that they are shipped the minute they are out the door of the factory...
Customer service is good. I bought a 1:12 Armstrong second-hand, and it had a major stress fracture on one of the fingers. The 3A support person didn't even ask if I had bought it directly from them - they first offered to repair the hand for me, but I just asked that they send a new finger and that I could do the repair. Sure enough, about a week later I had a replacement finger. Couldn't really be any easier than that.

Additionally, I purchased their recent De Plume/DC two-pack, but had some trouble with Paypal. My order was confirmed, but not paid for yet. So, I emailed their support and let them know that I intended to pay, but had to wait for my Paypal issue to clear up. They said that it was no problem, but just to let them know once it was paid for. It's all very personal feeling when you contact them. I really think they are a very very small operation, and that you really are getting personal attention in the way you would get at a mom and pop store.

More serious than thou
Tracky JC full gear.

No fancy photos here, but here is the Jesus with his new friends....
Attachments:
open | download - the gang.jpg (117.6 KB)
Yeah, I'm no photographer, but I did nab a WWII trench, a rifle and knife for Tommy...

Night-fighting Tommy!

More serious than thou
I dig the concept, but that coat looks a touch big on Tommy ;)

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Yes, indeedy-doo, my biggest bot ever has arrived as of today! JEA Bertie MK3:

With a little Human Alliance action to show some scale:

Overall, it's possible that the Bramble is a bit bigger when you include the rocket launcher, but this guy's a full 5+ inches taller. The shogun alone is 14 inches long.

My co-worker's comment on Bertie: "Nice penis."

More serious than thou
Bleak Mission and Custard (the Satanic Labrador) just showed up and I must say that they are the knees of the bees'. I was expecting Custard to be PVC but nope he is made of much sturdier stuff...Paint is, as always, amazing. The smell is, as always, toxic...
Custard is supposedly polystone from what I read.

More serious than thou
So, apparently the 3A folks have the license to make Ma.k Maschinen Krieger toys...The first release is going to be a 1/12 scale Krote with others to follow in the same scale...

I think the style of their toys will work great with Ma.k...Here's hoping for a whole slew of articulated power suits...

Here is a shot of a Krote model kit just to refresh the memory...
Attachments:
open | download - krote.JPG (11.1 KB)
I love the idea of 3A doing MaK stuff, but since SDCC time 3A has like, quintupled their vaporware announcements. On deck, besides the original stuff, 3A is doing:

Metal Gear Solid Rex, still
Halo something
Microman 1/12 something
Banda Zaku, which doesn't look great so far,
Real Steel
And now MaK

That's in addition to all the main lines (WWR, WWRp, Popbot, PopbotP, and AK), in addition to original vaporware stuff Wood has mentioned. I am still loving every single 3A piece that shows up, when it finally shows up, but I can't help view this rapid-fire slew of announcements with more than a little trepidation, rather than excitement. I've learned you cannot get excited for anything 3A until they have a physical prototype to show.

Here's my latest scores, Nightwatch NOM Commander, Heavy Bramble, and Square^2 made into a snazzy wallpaper.

Hi res: [prometheusrising.wordpress.com]

One thing 3A has gotten right since last month is the start of 3AVox, a weekly newsletter that has managed to go out three weeks in a row with news, teasers, and finally real shipping updates! Unfortunately, there's a bit of a gap where I didn't buy anything, so nothing I still have preordered has been on the shipping list yet.

[prometheusrising.net]
Prometheum5 Wrote:
> ...still loving every single 3A piece that shows up,
> when it finally shows up, but I can't help view
> this rapid-fire slew of announcements with more
> than a little trepidation, rather than excitement.

Yeah. It often feels like they've reaching beyond their grasp.

Around three years ago I ordered something direct from 3A and it took five months to ship. The fact that they took my money upfront made me irritated, too. Felt like a kick-starter flim-flam before there was such a thing. Anyway, they made good and I was pleased. Still am with all their stuff.

But... It still takes them a good five months to ship something after they've taken your loot. Unless they're having trouble managing their capital or production numbers, I have no idea why this continues to be the case. Cut the announcements/orders closer to the release date, or project more accurate release dates. That's not really too crazy now is it?

So with all this product news, I have zero expectations unless they've drastically adjusted something on the back-end. Like tripling their staff or buying their own factory. Something. Anything.
I agree on the vaporware 100%...But to be fair they aren't the only small "toy" company that engages in this practice. I would rather they keep tight lipped until there are pictures...

Given that, The stuff they do manage to get out the door is great, and unlike many larger outfits the quality control is quite good. Out of the roughly 20 or so figures I have I haven't had a single major issue...Add to that the minor issue I had was resolved by the company in a way that was above and beyond is a good thing...Part of the reason the customer service is good, I am sure, is that it is a small company. The down side of being small is VERY long wait times for stuff to roll off the line.

"Wait," you might be saying, "Other small toy companies manage to get their wares to market in a reasonable amount of time." Right you are good sir/madam/hindu (as the case may be). However, since 3A opens up ordering for 24 hours they produce a small number higher than what they sell. This is good in that everyone has a shot at the toys (well except the secret and trade exclusives) but it is bad because once they have the numbers (and $$$) they can place their orders with the manufacturers...Which, as we all know, can take a long time for a myriad of reasons.

This leads to the only real problem with 3A as a company. Their ordering system. Paypal months before the product ships (and in some cases a full year) is not a great way to do business. Yes it is convenient, but the simple fact that I have paid for something and it gets to me months after the 30 day charge-back period on my VISA is REALLY sketchy. Especially since they don't do refunds or cancellations...What if the product doesn't meet expectations and I decide I don't want it? What if I just spent $250.00US on a robot toy and my car breaks down and I need the cash? Hey we have all been there. Pre-order something and then you realize that, "Hey I don't need this because of _________."

I will say that there has been talk on the 3A boards (down right now for maintenance) about how the ordering system will be changing, so that is good news. However, at the moment it is just talk...vapor if you will...

On a side note, (not that this hasn't been a long winded digression already), It has been fascinating watching 3A get off the ground, experience growing pains, screw up stuff, and try to fix things...

Anyway...Ma.k toys...maybe...possibly...bah!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 11:48AM by fel9.
While I do wish that 3A did do a few things differently, my dealings with them as a company have been that they are scrupulously honest. Everything they say about how they do things is thoroughly up front. They make no bones about the fact that they require up-front payment. On the other hand, whenever they have a QC issue or a factory or shipping screwup, they go way out of their way to correct the mistakes. Things like sending out replacement heads preemptively when an entire run of toys was incorrectly manufactured, or sending out replacement parts for items that were bought second-hand, or allowing one to change the recipient of a purchase on the fly are no big deal for them. The level of individual customer service you expect from a place like BBTS is the kind of thing you get from them directly. In a way I hope they never get any bigger than they are because I can guarantee that some of that would disappear right away if they did.

More serious than thou
Fuji I agree 100%. I received my N.O.M. commanders set with broken glasses...I mentioned that they may want double check them in the box because mine were sandwiched between the outer shell and the top. They said thanks and then sent me another pair...I didn't even ask for them. I mean this is a TINY detail but it mattered.

Hey don't get me wrong. I love their stuff and their customer service. I don't even really mind their ordering system, or should I say that I understand it and choose to spend my money with them anyway. I can, however, where someone might be nervous. I can think of MANY much larger online retailers/manufacturers that I would never give my money to in a similar fashion. With me, however, I trust 3A. They haven't given me a reason not to...
I'm actively looking for the Venus and Fever models from the WKRP line, has anyone seen them for pre-order anywhere? I heard that the Tar-Lock was also in the works?
Supersentai Wrote:
> I'm actively looking for the Venus and Fever
> models from the WKRP line, has anyone seen them
> for pre-order anywhere?

Man, I can't spin records all my life.
"I swear as god is my witness I thought turkeys could fly...."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2011 06:15AM by fel9.
Anonymous User
So I finally took the plunge into 3A stuff and my child-sized 1/6 Armstrong arrived today. It's kind of a weird story on how I found this- I basically had to buy it on a partial shot of the box with a vague description of the contents.

Not attached is the huge booster pack and big honkin' bazooka.

The feel and weathering of this figure is absolutely amazing, although one foot creaked something horrible when I attempted to adjust it. Thought it best to leave it in position after that. The rotating ball-joint sensor was a really nice touch as well.
Creaking joints are a feature on 3A toys...

Did anyone else pick up Caesar yesterday? I meant to mention it, you know, before the 24 hour preorder window, but, well, life got in the way.
I wrote a sweet review of the Action Portable Tomorrow Kings that have come out so far on CollectionDX:
[www.collectiondx.com]

Highlight photo:

[prometheusrising.net]
Good review...Love the toy and the photos...Hate waiting for the new ones to show up...
APTKs look badass, especially in the smaller scale. Is that Heavy Bramble in the review a WWR or WWRp version?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer