[TV Shows] I've been digging...

Posted by gingaio 
So, watching TV and prowling this board seem to be my way of coping with work stress and avoiding work this quarter.

I've been digging Justified:
--Clever Season 2 promo: [www.youtube.com]
--Last scene of Season 1 (watch that last shot and tell me it's not a tip to the last shot of Cowboy Bebop): [www.youtube.com]

Young Justice:
--Surprisingly good...probably my favorite DC cartoon since Justice League.

M.A.S.K.
--If only for the Shinji Aramaki-designed eye candy, the stylized 80s anime look, and the nostalgia. The show's premise is stupidly hard to swallow, even in the world of 80s cartoons--all of the bad guys' crimes happen within a driving distance from M.A.S.K. headquarters.

I've been watching Being Human, too, but it's terribly emo. Hopefully, the UK version's better, but I've been told it's almost as sappy.

[edit] Oh, and feel free to add your recommendations. I'll just add them to my time-wasting list.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 09:49PM by gingaio.
The Regular Show
Sanjeev (Admin)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
I am totally and hopelessly in love with Adventure Time.

I don't care how hip it is to say that, I am not ashamed of my feelings. I color pictures of Finn & Jake with crayons and I am often heard saying "remember the time they..." with my other filled-with-child-like-wonder friends.

Thank you
Big ups Adventure Time. That show is freaking amazing...the writing...just great.
Southland has proven to be a really strong not so typical cop drama. Really good characters and character arcs carry this show.

While this is it's last year, Friday Night Lights has proven to be well worth keeping up with event through some of the rougher story arcs just to see the two main characters portray the realist married couple on TV in a long time.

That Avengers cartoon that started up last year, while rough on the animation and art at times, is actually a pretty damn fun show with some great plotting. It's really apparent the the makers are dyed in the wool Kirby fans and that drives the look and feel of it's presentation.
Community and Sym-Bionic Titan which maybe is shaping up to be one of the best giant robot shows... the one episode where Sym-bionic Titan battles a giant monster to A Flock of Seagull's "Space Age Love Song" intercut with a teen girl, dancing because she's just fallen for one of the main characters... good stuff!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2011 12:28PM by H-man.
Awesome. Keep the recs coming--I've never even heard of the Regular Show or Adventure Time. But I'm way behind on my time-wasting--a year ago a friend sent me an Adult Swim DVD box with that show about the talking meatball and some other things, a smorgasbord of different shows, and I've not even opened the package yet.
Super Jail!

Adventure Time.

Robotomy.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
I watch so much more TV this year because I have a TV in my bedroom for literally the first time in my life. My usual jams are House, Bones, Castle, Fringe (!!!), Dirty Jobs, and The Daily Show.

For this season I've also picked up and hopelessly fallen for Justified, which is an awesome personal drama under the guise of an out of the ordinary cop show with some serious swagger, and Archer, for being the goddamn-funniest show I have ever seen. I'm also warming up to Bob's Burgers for it's off the walls level of lunacy with an awesome voice cast.

As for oldies, I am slowly working through Spiral Zone, and then next up is the finally completed subbed Dougram. (Un)fortunately, SZ has taken a short interlude for me to fall all over Patlabor again and decide I should probably rewatch the TV series, then the movies (even though they're not the same timeline) including finally watching Patlabor III for the first time.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Prometheum5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (Un)fortunately, SZ has taken a
> short interlude for me to fall all over Patlabor
> again and decide I should probably rewatch the TV
> series, then the movies (even though they're not
> the same timeline) including finally watching
> Patlabor III for the first time.

My brother was the one who got me into Patlabor when I was in high school. For my money, probably the only anime show (and I'm referring to both the TV and OAV series) that comes close to rivaling Cowboy Bebop as far as "best anime evar!"

My ranking in descending order would be:

New OAV
TV Series
Original OAV

Movie 1 is also pretty spectacular.

Movies 2 is just bad Oshii to me. I swear, the guy did all his good work with the early Patlabor stuff.

Movie 3 was pretty forgettable, in that I can't actually remember what it was about.
I have never see the second OVA and cannot find it anywhere... it deals with TV series stuff, so I'm dying to track it down.

[prometheusrising.net]
Anonymous User
OVA 2 is a sequel to the TV series. It is pretty good and you get to see the return of the griffon and some AV-0 action.
Yup--you get Kanuka reuniting with the gang for a night of drunken revelry at a bath house, along with the conclusion of the Griffon saga, though the one-shot episodes are really the highlight.

"Seven Days of Fire" is one of the best stories in any genre/medium. Also good are the "Black Trinary" with the "Golgo 13" cameo, and the one in which the gang goes into the sewer in search of the missing mechanics, and the one focusing on Goto and Shinobu on a rainy drive home...I could go on. The ironic thing is that these episodes also don't involve any labor action at all. They're just about the people.

Just talking about this show brings out the fanboy in me, but yeah, the 2nd OVA is sweet.
gingaio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yup--you get Kanuka reuniting with the gang for a
> night of drunken revelry at a bath house, along
> with the conclusion of the Griffon saga, though
> the one-shot episodes are really the highlight.
>
> "Seven Days of Fire" is one of the best stories in
> any genre/medium. Also good are the "Black
> Trinary" with the "Golgo 13" cameo, and the one in
> which the gang goes into the sewer in search of
> the missing mechanics, and the one focusing on
> Goto and Shinobu on a rainy drive home...I could
> go on. The ironic thing is that these episodes
> also don't involve any labor action at all.
> They're just about the people.
>
> Just talking about this show brings out the fanboy
> in me, but yeah, the 2nd OVA is sweet.

Awesome. I've been given the hook-up, so now I'm really looking forward to watching this. Here's hoping the Goto and Shinobu one is just an hour of hard, deep, incredibly satisfied fucking.

[prometheusrising.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer