ThunderFurries, Yay!

Posted by gingaio 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Uh...so last week, Nekrodave told me Thundercats was back.

And how 'bout that. It is.

For those who didn't know, start torrenting. For those who knew--but didn't say anything--fuck you.

:P
I started watching it a couple of months back when it returned, but after a few episodes, I was like, "This kind of sucks" and stopped. I'll only watch it if it's guaranteed that my watching means the Classics line continues.

I'm enjoying Young Justice more. The second season fast-forwarded several years, and the first few episodes have been filling in the gaps with the characters.
gingaio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I started watching it a couple of months back when
> it returned, but after a few episodes, I was like,
> "This kind of sucks" and stopped. I'll only watch
> it if it's guaranteed that my watching means the
> Classics line continues.

Nothing will prolong the classics line. It is deader than Jaga's ghost.

I liked the cartoon well enough as a modern reboot. The characters have had so much more development and backstory put into them. It's remarkable. The quality of the writing has been a bit inconsistent, especially the filler episodes. Still, despite that, they’ve made it far more compelling than it should be. The morally ambiguous choices that have to get made are a real treat. I’d talk about some of them, but SPOILERS?

> I'm enjoying Young Justice more. The second season
> fast-forwarded several years, and the first few
> episodes have been filling in the gaps with the
> characters.

I dig that show, too. They manage to keep an overarching story going while still keeping the between stuff interesting. The start of the new season was good, but the last episode pissed me off with the well-worn Buddy Cop deep cover element. Gah. I guess no one would really let a cartoon be that edgy.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I can't bring myself to give a shit about DC characters...but I recognize that these folks making cartoons like Young Justice and Justice League before that did a damn good job. Still...DC...meh.

I'll catch up with the furries soon...
I prefer Marvel characters to DC, too, but toon-wise, yeah DC's been handled a lot better.
Gingy rightly notes that, for animated atrocities, DC is best. The long-running Bruce Timm-verse Batman and Justice League series were top-notch. Even "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" was glorious. But every Mar-Vel series I see just keeps redoing the same stories over and over. Every Spiderman cartoon from the 1970s to present is an awful, style-less monstrosity. Except for The Bisexual Spiderman and His Unbearably Sexy Roommates. That was some of the most thought provoking social commentary John Ritter has ever done and it practically predicted the public backlash against alternative lifestyles that occurred in the early years of the AIDS pandemic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2012 02:56AM by Gcrush.

Attachments:
open | download - swap.jpg (130.2 KB)
open | download - my lips are thor.jpg (140.6 KB)
open | download - scent of a roomate.jpg (119.8 KB)
open | download - web fluid.jpg (126.3 KB)
Attachments:
open | download - web swinger.jpg (129.8 KB)
open | download - lemon party.jpg (134.5 KB)
open | download - spider room.jpg (121.8 KB)
open | download - fire starter.jpg (130.2 KB)
Young Justice has been really good. Even Green Lantern isn't too bad. I absolutely DESPISE the animation style for the Avengers cartoon. It kills me what they've done to Nova in Spiderman Unlimited.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I generally don't watch comic book cartoons at all. Actually, now that I think of it, I really don't watch any cartoons on tv. But specifically about Marvel, yeah...they've thrown up some stinkers:
[www.youtube.com]

That said, the early 90's X-Men cartoon was pretty damn cool. Definitely replicated the feel of the comic. Also, the more recent Super Hero Squad is awesome, despite the SD style and emphasis on humor.
Avengers - Earth's Mightiest Heroes toon was perhaps the best of the Marvel series. Was being the key word since they just announced they are cancelling the series in favor for a couple of new movie centric Avengers and Hulk toons.
Thundercats was doing great up until the Grune "finale", then devolved into silly one-shot stories focusing on segments of the cast. Hope they can get back on track.

As far as Young Justice, that show has gone from good, to great, to exceptional. I worried it would be this small scale series dealing with minor threats, isolated from the rest of the DC universe, but they do an awesome job of incorporating the "real" league in with the exploits of the team. Bravo!

Jeeves, I swear, if you gave Justice League and Unlimted half a chance you'd be hooked. Nothing better than comic nerds in charge of a comic cartoon, it just builds on itself with such consistency and intent that it's difficult NOT to appreciate. I was a Marvel comic boy, but for me, JL brought DC up to parity with them and beyond on the small screen.

If they had produced the 90's X-Men with the same care and handling, I shudder to think how much better (and don't get me wrong, I loved it back then) it could have been.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Fair enough...but if I watched *everything* someone told me was "exceptional", I'd never leave the house. For example, I've never seen The Wire. Or Dexter. Or...

So with no attachment to (and in fact, some contempt for) DC characters, the odds of me getting into the JLU cartoon are slim to none.

Back to Game of Thrones... ;)
Supersentai Wrote:
> Thundercats was doing great up until the Grune
> "finale", then devolved into silly one-shot
> stories focusing on segments of the cast. Hope
> they can get back on track.
>
Pretty much this. I don't know what it is about this show that reminds me so much of Escaflowne--maybe the whole deposed young king seeking to reclaim his heritage/birthright/kingdom, intermingled with the horrors of war, the love triangle, and cat/animal people. Only Escaflowne had more depth and moral murkiness and better animation and was just a hell of a lot better in terms of being simple entertainment.

The love triangle in this show is completely uninteresting because the three characters are dolts, and the secondary characters like the kittens are given mindboggling storylines involving things like that stupid raccoon thief with the magical hat or somesuch, and then there was some Gladiator ripoff episode with Panthro. It's like a bad menudo simmering with partially digested pop culture, or a poorly digested food simile that promises to reflux all night...either way.

And that early episode with the plant people provided such promise.

> As far as Young Justice, that show has gone from
> good, to great, to exceptional. I worried it
> would be this small scale series dealing with
> minor threats, isolated from the rest of the DC
> universe, but they do an awesome job of
> incorporating the "real" league in with the
> exploits of the team. Bravo!
>

Yeah, before the reveal with the last episode, the show was moving along really smoothly. I love the fast-forward jump into the second season. Totally unexpected and surprising, which these kinds of toons usually aren't. Barring the usual stiff dialogue and pacing issues, the writers are starting to make good on that jump.

> Jeeves, I swear...

Jeev lost me at "90s X-Men cartoon." :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2012 02:36PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio Wrote:
> Jeev lost me at "90s X-Men cartoon." :)

Ha!

Y'know, I get more enjoyment outta Adventure Time (I was wrong before--I *will* tune in for Adventure Time whenever I get a chance) than most action/adventure stuff. The latter tends to take itself way too seriously for my tastes. Like bad scifi trying to be too scientific.
The current Avengers cartoon is pretty good. They integrate the different aspects of the marvel universe really well. They build different plot points up during the season and come back to them, like comic books. Stuff like doing a Korvac Saga, and inserting the newer Guardians of the Galaxy with Rocket Racoon and Groot the Living Tree. Or doing a whole episode just focusing on Thor so we can get an adaptation of Simonson's Beta Ray Bill origin. Really off the wall stuff. But the animation and designs are terrible.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Thundercats is really pretty, and I love the designs. Sometimes I watch the show and all I can do is lament that Bandai never really got the toyline going. But the storylines... ugh. Lion-O is still dumb as a rock. I was watching an episode the other day where two of them were being chased by Mummra and his army. Mummra wanted his sword back, and he had a way of tracking it. So in order to better defend the sword, they decide to... split up. Apparently the thinking was that at least one would make it out alive, but that all goes to pot when 2 seconds after they split up, Lion-O hears a scream and races back into a trap.

This is the version where he's NOT just a little cub in a grown up body, right?

He also changes love interests like he changes his shoes. Wiley Kat is lucky that some other Thundarean females were around.

Also Young Justice is all kinds of awesome. Except when they changed the name of the show and my DVR missed the first episode of the new season, which I assume they'll replay sometime next year at 2 in the morning.

Adventure Time is also all kinds of awesome. Luckily they replay those all the time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2012 05:02PM by fujishig.
Same thing happened to me with Young Justice vs Young Justice: Invasion, Tivo didn't quite catch on...not today, it taped a re-run of Young Justice and called it Young Justice: Invasion. Ironical.

As far as Thundercats goes, the issue of why "splitting up" didn't work gets some backstory soon. Still enjoy the Rankin Bass homage with the bag-o-tricks, but they do tend to overdoo things.

I only started watching Adventure Time by fluke recently, trapped with a sleeping baby on my chest in front of the tv...I had to hold the chortles in...wicked wacky!
Supersentai Wrote:
> Same thing happened to me with Young Justice vs
> Young Justice: Invasion, Tivo didn't quite catch
> on...not today, it taped a re-run of Young Justice
> and called it Young Justice: Invasion.
> Ironical.
>
The show's on hiatus until fall, so they're showing reruns in its place (until then, I assume).
All well and good, but why show a random episode from the first season (which wasn't titled invasion)? Show me episode 1 of the new season! Or start Tom the beginning, I really don't understand CN.

They are also showing new DC shorts during the reruns...

Back on topic, so is the thundercats toylike dead? Am I never going to complete the team or get that nifty thunder tank upgrade?

gingaio Wrote:
> Supersentai Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Same thing happened to me with Young Justice vs
> > Young Justice: Invasion, Tivo didn't quite
> catch
> > on...not today, it taped a re-run of Young
> Justice
> > and called it Young Justice: Invasion.
> > Ironical.
> >
> The show's on hiatus until fall, so they're
> showing reruns in its place (until then, I
> assume).
fujishig Wrote:
> All well and good, but why show a random episode
> from the first season (which wasn't titled
> invasion)? Show me episode 1 of the new season!
> Or start Tom the beginning, I really don't
> understand CN.
>
Well, they've got a whole summer to fill and only about 6 or 7 Invasion episodes to reair, so that's probably why they're starting further back.

> They are also showing new DC shorts during the
> reruns...
>
Really? Well, that's stupid.

> Back on topic, so is the thundercats toylike dead?
> Am I never going to complete the team or get that
> nifty thunder tank upgrade?
>
Apparently, the cartoon didn't do enough to sell the toys (which have been massively discounted at TRU), and if you buy the heart-panged prognostications, then the show's dead, too. It's a damn shame because Bandai really delivered with those Classics figs, in both scales. That large Tygra is a joy to have.

Also, I just saw the enormous Mumm-Ra plastic statue at TRU and it's absolutely gorgeous. Man, I wish the 6" figure would have looked like that.

BTW, I just found out from my brother that they made a sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender. And apparently, it's really good. Off to watch it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 12:03AM by gingaio.
Thundercats figures looked nice, and didn't seem nearly as pricey as the insane Young Justice nonsense. What, were those selling for forty bucks a pop for a three inch tall figure...I mean COME ON!
Supersentai Wrote:
>
> As far as Thundercats goes, the issue of why
> "splitting up" didn't work gets some backstory
> soon. Still enjoy the Rankin Bass homage with the
> bag-o-tricks, but they do tend to overdoo things.
>

If you mean the reveal in the finale, well, that still doesn't explain why Lion-O thought the best way to get away from Mummra, who was already tracking his sword, was to split up. Plus, he was already tracking his sword, the reveal had nothing to do with it.

Spoilers for the last episode

Plus that reveal made absolutely no sense! She's going to side with the person who was responsible for her death over the person who left her there to die (because he had no idea she was there)? Plus out of all the times to betray them, she picks that moment, when there were all kinds of situations where she could have gotten the other two stones away from the lovestruck Lion-O? The guy's an idiot, especially with women around. Also, what signs were there that she was a traitor, other than Mummra being able to track them (which he could do with his pool/birds anyway)? And then powered-up Mummra retreats from a bunch of Elephants, robo-bears, fishmen, and dogmen? What, the plant people and the big bird were too busy? I guess they couldn't reuse the sunlight thing since they've used it every single time up to that point.

I still don't understand why Tigra and Cheetara released the bad sword from Jaga's protection in the first place. I mean, the thing had been buried there for so long, and Mummra never went and claimed it, so they felt the need to protect it themselves?

Did I miss the part where they got the technology/blueprints to turn the broken Thundertank into the Feliner?

Speaking of Lion-O and women, it did almost seem like he and Wily Kit were going to have an uncomfortable moment at the end there. Don't be nice to him, the guy jumps from female to female at a moment's notice and you're the last one who hasn't rejected him. But then, this is not really anime, so problem averted.

I know, I know, kid's show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2012 03:58PM by fujishig.
SpOiLeRs:

I think when they "split up" to escape, it wasn't ten seconds later until Pooo-Myra was "caught"...I think she just turned around and waltzed back to Mummra's waiting arms. That was my point. I think there were other moments where it can be implied that she seemed to work counter to the interests of the herd (pride?) as well, but can't cite them off the back of my brain.

But yes, it's gets a bit convoluted at the end there where about twenty warriors jump out of the bag...what about the entire freakin' bird army? Hadn't they joined up with Ra' based on Voltaire's decision to side against the Cats? I love the Elephants' disco stomping magic, but the dogs had swords and the fish are firing harpoons. I'm surprised Mummra didn't sprint out of there in abject fear.

I also love it at the end when the whole populace of "crash city" are just watching the Berbils start fixing the place up as if this wasn't the Cats fault. I'd be picking some cats up, flying them up HIGH, and then see if they land on thier feet (or not).

Next week is Episode One again, so that's it for a while I guess. I saw the build up of the side story characters as allies in the big war coming a mile away, but it ended up being sort of a whimper. Uneven. That's my issue with the writing and execution of the show...when it's on it is ON...but when it's off kilter, it becomes an exercise in just sitting in front of the tv for twenty minutes waiting for something better to happen next week.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Not to be outdone by NECA, Mezco is doing a glow-Mumm-Ra for SDCC. No pics, though. :/

He does come with sleepy-time Mumm-Ra, though. :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer