ThunderFurries, Yay!

Posted by gingaio 
Sanjeev Wrote:
-
>
> gingaio 1; repairtechjon 0. ;)

Ha, I'll take that, yep.

This trailer is the way to do it!! Now this makes me want to be seeing this show.
Giant Lizard Mechs?
The Narrator is pretty good too.
The only stat on my mind at the moment is Laker 1--New Orleans 1.

Very generous of my team to spot Chris Paul's gang a game, if just to make them feel better about themselves.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Bah. I actually didn't watch the game last night, but I'd hardly call the wackness the Lakers brought on Sunday "spotting" anything! :P

If anyone's spotting anyone anything, it's the Celtics spotting the Thunder our starting center.

Aww. I just made myself sad.
Assuming the Celtics are deemed worthy enough by the basketball gods to participate in this year's Finals, as it's pretty much a given the Lakers will be there, you and I will have a reckoning, Reverend.

And I'm even pulling for Boston to beat the Heatles. So there.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Without a reliable 5, I just don't know...

BUT the first two games against the Knicks have been AMAZINGLY entertaining (though I have NO fucking clue where this "rivalry renewed" bullshit came from...gods damned marketing...).

But enough NBA talk for the moment.

I think tonight, we can ALL join together and wish the Montreal Canadiens a hearty EATADICKUP!!!
Um...Yeah...The SDCC exclusive Lion-O looks pretty kick ass...
Attachments:
open | download - ThunderCats1.JPG (88.5 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn you, fel9...

Well, I guess the thread titles *have* gotten a bit confusing...because of me...
Not like you are going to get to talk about the NBA anytime soon...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Quite true! Fucking owners. Well, at least it's another year LeBron will have to live with his shame...while taking it out on little kids.

Anyway, yes, that 8" Lion-O looks fucking killer. I'm pretty sure it won't be a con "exclusive". These fucking toy manufacturers love throwing that term around, but all it means is that the toy will debut there. I'm *sure* they'll be easy to find (and likely quite a bit cheaper) afterwards.
Or the actual figure will have slightly different accessories or packaging...like I (or any sane person) would keep him in the package...

Oh, I live in Atlanta and since we don't have an NBA team I don't really care about the lockout....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2011 01:05PM by fel9.
Sanjeev (Admin)
That's certainly possible, but more often than not, I see the bigger companies just debuting their shit at the con, rather than them being true exclusives.

I remember when Hasbro dropped their newer light/sound "Marvel Universe" (3-3/4" scale) Galactus at the con last year or the year before. They called it an "exclusive" then...but now, they can be had at TRUs and various online toy retailers. Cheaper than at the con, in fact.

And didn't they do the same with the US Masterpiece Grimlock? And I know Mattel has done it with their MotUC releases (I got my Faker as an "NYCC exclusive", but it obviously got a wide release a couple months later)...

And now at *this* coming con, Hasbro's releasing the MU Sentinel in proper old-school colors (not the dumb blue-silver scheme). I want the shit outta the old-school one, but I'm perfect content with waiting for a general release.

Oh, and...uh...by the way...
LOL - Hawks are not a REAL NBA team, c'mon!

But about the exclusives... there are some (like the JLU exclusives from past years, that were never released in stores). But generally, with exclusives you're getting some "slight" variation of what may end up available for the masses... some accessory, paint or packaging variation and of course, the coveted "SDCC 2011 EXCLUSIVE" sticker on the package. That's worth an extra $10 right there!
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> I remember when Hasbro dropped their newer
> light/sound "Marvel Universe" (3-3/4" scale)
> Galactus at the con last year or the year before.
> They called it an "exclusive" then...but now, they
> can be had at TRUs and various online toy
> retailers. Cheaper than at the con, in fact.

I'm guessing they're using the con release as a stealth market survey. A way to gauge how badly fans want it, how many units the online retailers think they can move - which, if the numbers come out favorably, lets Hasbro finalize the decision for a mass release. If they dropped the fact that they're planning a mass release beforehand, it would skew the numbers, and the con release would no longer be a microcosm of the mass release.

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Hasbro and several other companies have dropped truly exclusive stuff at SDCC. Sometimes it's just a different paint scheme, other times it really is a "get it here/now or nowhere/never" item. Or with exclusive accessories. Or whatever.

From what I've seen, the SDCC Lion-O has a unique metallic paint and dark-wash paint scheme along with an exclusive sword stand. Which is pretty badass, but will never match any of the other figures. So... Pass?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, Paul, I see what you're saying, but I just don't think any useful data can come from how hot an item is at a con. I mean, I've stood in those lines before. It's fucking awful. The majority of those...people...aren't even human. I think for mass-marketed toys (something like a big Galactus action figure that will end up at TRUs), it's just too narrow a cross section of the fanbase.
B00
Looks like Tygra's been ordering from Adam & Eve again...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 02:52PM by B00.
Attachments:
open | download - WTF.jpg (417.8 KB)
Gotta say, these look somewhat amateurish. Hopefully they look better in-hand than in these promo shots.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well...as I sorta thought, it was Escaflowne with cats. And apparently, it was a good thing! I dug it.

Anyone else?
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well...as I sorta thought, it was Escaflowne with
> cats. And apparently, it was a good thing! I dug
> it.
>
> Anyone else?

I thought it was too close, actually--that last shot of them looking over the devastated city--I haven't seen Escaflowne in a while, but it seemed like a pretty close match.

But yeah, it was pretty cool. I needs more PanBro, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2011 01:53PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh, I haven't seen Escaflowne in a while either, but there were tons of shot-for-shot similarities.

I'm guessing PanBro shows up later in the series...I'm just hoping he's voiced by some who takes a deep voice to mutant-super-power level like Richard Brooks.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I'm guessing PanBro shows up later in the
> series...I'm just hoping he's voiced by some who
> takes a deep voice to mutant-super-power level
> like Richard Brooks.

Was looking at that pic and thought it was familiar. Fucking Jubal Early--man, Firefly was good. Whedon must have been snorting the muse dust when he came up with that.

Every few years, I bust out my Escaflowne DVDs and watch that show. Good stuff, and yeah, this show does feel familiar in a derivative way--just not quite as exhilarating and unique as the original. Good enough to keep watching for now, though.

I kind of missed Cheetara having a deeper voice. She sounds like she's 14, and unfortunately I'm not VZ enough to appreciate that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2011 03:01PM by gingaio.
I liked it. There's some interesting stuff going on.

Cheetara's giant 'video game' ankle and wrist bracelets aren't as annoying in motion as the early pics led me to believe.

I'll make time to watch it. It's more entertaining then most of the anime I've seen in the past 5 years. ;)
Buncha new Thundercats stuff at TRU today. One each of Lion-O and Tigra and I passed on both of them. They look in person just like the promo pics, and they just look cheap to my eye. The colors are very flat, with no variation, and every part of the toys are painted with a glossy finish, even the hair. Just not my kinda thing. I might have gone for it still if they hadn't been 8 inches tall. Just too big.

The new design Thundercats stuff is much nicer in its appearance, but they are too SMALL for my taste. The Mumm-Ra figure seemed especially nice though. Tad too expensive at $15 for a 3" action figure though. He was smaller than, say Marvel Universe Hulk or Thing, but twice as expensive.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
I've caught a couple youtube reviews of some of the Bandai figures. They sure seem miserable. :/

Case in point:
[www.youtube.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Okay, well, as shitty as the second episode was, the third was pretty fucking bomb. Even made homie misty-eyed. Still such a shame that the toys blow...but then again, I've never been particularly hot for borderline-furry action figures. Extend-o Sword of Omens however...

Oh, and PanBRO back in effect!
[www.imdb.com]
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Okay, well, as shitty as the second episode was,
> the third was pretty fucking bomb. Even made homie
> misty-eyed. Still such a shame that the toys
> blow...but then again, I've never been
> particularly hot for borderline-furry action
> figures. Extend-o Sword of Omens however...
>
> Oh, and PanBRO back in effect!
> [www.imdb.com]

Yeah, when I saw that we were getting cute little plant people I thought "OK, we're done with the bad-ass stuff and back to just being a cartoon" and damn they snookered me good. yeah, I was kinda weepy by the end too. Pushed all the right buttons.

I must have missed the part where Tigra grabbed up stuff and he's all lord of gun now, completely embracing technology. I remember him grabbing a pistol but not his costume.

Saw a couple of figures at TrU, looks like they're flying off the pegs even at the insane prices. Not impressed with the figures but I can't help but kinda want the Thundertank. Then I'd have to buy the Lion-o and Tigra troncycles to clip onto the sides of the 'tank. *sigh*
Continuing my personal trend of disagreeing with Fuji, I have to say I'm loving the Classics Thunderfluffies. I mean, this new line is part of the reason I got rid of my MOTU Classics. If I had to choose, I'd choose man-cats over barbarian-men.

At over $20 a pop (w/ sales tax), they're not ideally priced, but you get a lot of toy. Some years back, I had a fairly complete set of loose & mint vintage Thunderfluffies, and as much as I loved them, I always regretted the lack of articulation and the poor sculpts (there were some gems, like S-s-slythe, but it was mostly slim pickings). That these new figs are oversized compared to other modern figs makes perfect sense to me, given how oversized the vintage figs were.

The sculpts are great, and the joints are nearly perfect (necks are a bit wobbly, but every other joint is tight--much better than the spotty QC I experienced with the MOTU line).

The quality of the paint jobs can vary a bit, which is why I'm probably going to stick to looking for them in stores instead of buying online, as I can pick and choose.

I guess today was new-stock day at the local TRU, because there were a bunch of new Marvel figs on the shelves (Dr. Strange, Falcon, etc.), and comparatively, they just look cheap. These Thunderfluffies really are DX-quality action figs.

Tygra was my favorite character from the show. The wacky irony of a man-tiger holding a whip didn't hit me until I took the pic. I can be so slow sometimes.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2011 01:09AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 100_2840-1.jpg (105.4 KB)
open | download - 100_2841-1.jpg (61.4 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Admittedly, these look about a million times better than the 3-3/4" figures for the new show. I just wish Bandai were more consistent with the quality of their offerings...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Okay, well, as shitty as the second episode was,
> the third was pretty fucking bomb. Even made homie
> misty-eyed.

Just watched the 3rd/4th episodes and now I know what you mean. The Moby Dick ripoff sucked ass but the flower one was shockingly moving, despite all the cringeworthy platitudes...though if each episode is going to be a dramatized life-lesson for Lion-O, it's gonna start to wear on me. PanBro and the Thundertank at the end was a nice touch. If Bandai does indeed make a fully scaled Classics version of the tank, I'm going to buy it and just stop collecting toys, because it'll be the end times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2011 05:04PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I have a feeling one of us has the episode numbering off. I thought last week's was the third episode...am I missing one???

Anyway, yeah, a moral at the end of each episode will probably drive me nuts, but I have a feeling they won't go that route. There's just too much plot to deal with...

gingaio Wrote:
> If Bandai does indeed make a fully scaled Classics
> version of the tank, I'm going to buy it and just
> stop collecting toys, because it'll be the end
> times.

Indeed.

But first, I want a Classics PanBro, damnit...
Third week, 4th episode.

It feels like there's an episode missing between the 'moby dick' and 'flower people' episodes.
The 1-hour movie counted as episodes 1 and 2. So Moby Dick is 3 and Flower Child is 4.
I haven't picked up any of the classic T-Katz yet, but I saw some Tigras in stores. All had misprinted eyes and shitty paint. No Lion Menz present. Boo.

Purchased a 4" Mummy Ra and 6" Mumm-Ra. Mixed bag.

Mummy Ra is a gummy little statue thing that doesn't do anything except fall over because the cloak and feet aren't level with one another. Also, I didn't notice until I got home, but Mummy Ra was missing the eensy-weensy Bad Guy Sword it is supposed to come with.

Mumm-Ra is a relatively large and dynamic action figure. Poseable all over the place and loaded with extra parts. Unfortunately, the limbs are a noxious type of rubbery plastic that will give you headaches as they outgas; said limbs do a poor job of holding tension on the joints, too. Some parts of Mumm-Ra are not painted, such as bandages around the elbows and the heels of the sandals, and other parts have sloppy paint, such as the skirt. The pins for all the joints are a hard black plastic that does not match the rubbery gray plastic of the body. The double bladed "expanded" Bad Guy Sword has the secondary no-eye blade attached to the pommel instead of the main angry-eye section; meaning, you can't make a proper single-bladed expanded Bad Guy Sword. Lastly, Mumm-Ra, like the frost giants from Hasbro's Thor toy line, apparently enjoys going commando. By which I mean that the toy is a pantsless, dickless abomination for no apparent reason.

To me, these Thundercats toys are some kind of hybrid between Bandai's Ben 10 line and their older 8" Power Rangers figures. Weird, but adequate compared to the alternative of no modern Thundercats toys. Are the Classic Katz of similar quality control and material construction?
Gcrush Wrote:
> I haven't picked up any of the classic T-Katz yet,
> but I saw some Tigras in stores. All had
> misprinted eyes and shitty paint. No Lion Menz
> present. Boo.
>
Yeah, the paint does vary from figure to figure. In close-up, I can see what you mean about the eyes being a bit off, but until you mentioned it, I didn't even notice, so that either speaks to your exacting standards or my general lack of them or both. I don't know, as far as paint, I've seen way worse on all the other major modern lines:

> To me, these Thundercats toys are some kind of
> hybrid between Bandai's Ben 10 line and their
> older 8" Power Rangers figures. Weird, but
> adequate compared to the alternative of no modern
> Thundercats toys. Are the Classic Katz of similar
> quality control and material construction?

The torsos are made of that clackety hard plastic, the limbs are a notch softer, and the hands are flexible/rubbery. Barring the hands, I'd say that overall the material just feels harder (and to me, sturdier) than the stuff used in MOTU Classics. These feel more like finished toys, if that makes any sense. I guess what the Serious One hated as regards the glossy paint and finish is sort of what I appreciate about these figs. With the MOTU figs, I was always bothered by the weak ankle hinge/rocker joints, and on these figs, those joints in particular just feel a lot more solid. But all the joints feel better.

One pleasant surprise is that Lion-O's "shirt" and belt are separate pieces from the body.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2011 12:07AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - 100_2848.jpg (79.5 KB)
gingaio Wrote:
> Gcrush Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I haven't picked up any of the classic T-Katz
> yet,
> > but I saw some Tigras in stores. All had
> > misprinted eyes and shitty paint. No Lion Menz
> > present. Boo.

Paint apps did look sloppy when I saw these as well.

> >
> Yeah, the paint does vary from figure to figure.
> In close-up, I can see what you mean about the
> eyes being a bit off, but until you mentioned it,
> I didn't even notice, so that either speaks to
> your exacting standards or my general lack of them
> or both. I don't know, as far as paint, I've seen
> way worse on all the other major modern lines:

Well, that's what I saaw as the problem. These seemed like 1/18 figures just scaled up. Like taking a Star Wars fig and making it larger, including the usual paint app mistakes common to figures of that size.

>
>
> I guess what the Serious One hated as
> regards the glossy paint and finish is sort of
> what I appreciate about these figs.

Yup, if these were 1/18 figures, I'd be OK with the paint apps and maybe even the fact that every part of the figure was glossy. I suppose if how you look at it is that this is just a vintage figure with greater articulation, then maybe the paint would be appropriate.

More serious than thou
gingaio Wrote:
> Yeah, the paint does vary from figure to figure.
> In close-up, I can see what you mean about the
> eyes being a bit off, but until you mentioned it,
> I didn't even notice, so that either speaks to
> your exacting standards or my general lack of them
> or both.

The ones I saw had terrible, terrible printing on the eyes with scratched up paint on the mugs and marred, dirty looking body details. Granted, there weren't many to examine on the shelf. But the ones that were there were real dogs. (Wah-wah-wah!)

I noticed today that Mumm-Ra's Bad Guy Sword was drooping as the plastic near the pommel was bending under the weight of the blade. Bummer.

Forgot to mention that both Mummy Ra and Mumm-Ra have magnets in their backs for some reason. And both figures came with charming, hilariously over-wrought "instructions". Who ever came up with them took about a dozen steps more than necessary to illustrate what the figures can do. It's so kooky I should post a pic.
fujikuro Wrote:
> Well, that's what I saaw as the problem. These
> seemed like 1/18 figures just scaled up. Like
> taking a Star Wars fig and making it larger,
> including the usual paint app mistakes common to
> figures of that size.
>
But are there modern, mass-produced toys that are free of paint problems? The TF Classics/United/etc. figures all are riddled with paint issues, as are just about every other action figure line, including MOTUC Classics.

>The ones I saw had terrible, terrible printing on the eyes with scratched up
>paint on the mugs and marred, dirty looking body details.

Yeah, the Lion-O I left on the shelf had bad paint on the chest, but both Tygras I saw looked good, or good enough for me, as I need to qualify with you discerning blokes.
In the show, Lion o continues to annoy me. I thought he learned his lesson in that sand sea episode. Last week his lesson seemed to be that thundercats don't retreat, they just rush into battle against overwhelming forces with Bo plan and hope for the best. This week he showed that he larned that lesson well, but because he's able to use the sword of omens, panthro's going to defer leadership to him. I don't see how they last even a couple more episodes under the leadership of this dolt.

Yeah, yeah children's cartoon and all that...
fujishig Wrote:
> I don't see how they last even
> a couple more episodes under the leadership of
> this dolt.
>
Cartoon villain incompetence exists for a reason.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
I just picked up the Tigra and Lion-O classics and I have a few thoughts. I like the plastic and I like the size. You know, I don't hate the glossy paint. If I remember my old ones the paint was pretty glossy on those.

Yeah the paint ain't great, but really most lines have issues (not really an excuse but it is true), and since I had a selection to choose from I got the best ones I could find. I think it is odd that there is such a wide margin of error with the paint. The two I got look 98% but the worst of the ones I didn't pick up seemed to be really really off...I am really glad that Bandai resisted the urge to put in some sort of goofy action feature.

I will admit that there was kind of a thrill looking for these. I didn't really hunt all over creation like I used to when I was much younger, but I was indeed happy to pick up and buy something in the store. Now, Bandai, get off your butts and make a Cheetara and Panthro...oh and a Thundertank...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer