ThunderFurries, Yay!

Posted by gingaio 
[collider.com]

Maybe I'm the only freak on this board that digs the ThunderFurries. Maybe I'm not even me, but a splinter of Gcrush's consciousness, or an alternate-universe version of Sanjeev who specializes in custom painted Transformers sold on eBay. Anywhoo--the pics of the toys in the link above don't mean jack to me, but if they pave the way for a revival/classics line a la MOTU, and if part of that revival line includes an updated version of the classic Thundertank (and not this goofy P.O.S.) then I will be way stoked, and if the Horsemen decide to tackle Silverhawks while they're at it, then I will be able to die a less miserable man.

Thank you all for reading. I know you care.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 01:37AM by gingaio.
Well whoever the hell you are...according to

[www.thundercatslair.org]

There will indeed be larger scale classic figures as part of this line...

"Thundercats 2011 8" Classic Collectior Figure Series 01 - Set of Lion-O & Tygra $33.99
· Based on the classic 1980’s animated ThunderCats cartoon!

Each of these 8” figures includes 18 points of articulation and comes with each characters iconic weapons This set is to include the following figures:

1x Lion-O - with long Sword of Omens, short Sword of Omens, ThunderClaw
1x Tygra"

However when you click the link to BBTS that they give there are only placeholders instead of preorders....
It's Catboy Bebop.
Thanks for the link, fel9. Hopefully, those two figures will sell well enough to justify producing more. Honestly, though, when it comes to action figures, I'd rather any of the big American companies handle them instead of Bandai.
Thundercats is one of the few classic 80s cartoons I can stand to watch as an adult. It's still absurdly goofy in many parts, but it was much, much more detailed and realized than any of its contemporaries. It was mostly linear, had a developed geography, featured a diversity of populations, and the central villain was a dessicated corpse hopped up on Satanic 'roids. These are all good things. Especially Mum-Ra.

So, yeah. I can't wait to see what they pull out of their asses for Mum-Ra. Especially if it means getting a "classic" version. But seeing the junk Bandai puts on American toy shelves, I'm not holding my breath for anything of quality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 08:59PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - me-ra.jpg (125.9 KB)
Gcrush Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thundercats is one of the few classic 80s cartoons
> I can stand to watch as an adult. It's still
> absurdly goofy in many parts, but it was much,
> much more detailed and realized than any of its
> contemporaries. It was mostly linear, had a
> developed geography, featured a diversity of
> populations, and the central villain was a
> dessicated corpse hopped up on Satanic 'roids.
> These are all good things. Especially Mum-Ra.
>
All true, for the first season, at least. And that episode when Tygra gets hooked on psychedelic pears or something is hi-larious. I tried to watch Season 2 a year ago (never saw all of it as a kid), and it was very choppy and episodic and repetitive, like most of the other 80s cartoons.

Yeah, the disappointing thing about the announcement of Bandai making these Thundercats toys is Bandai making these Thundercats toys.

BTW, nice cosplaying, there, G. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 09:35PM by gingaio.
MattAlt (Admin)
They have Stone IPA on Planet Thundercat? I'm THERE, dude.
Mum-ra loves them hops.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
[tinyurl.com]

All right! If this turns out as well as the grainy pic suggests, then I may have to (happily) eat my words. Can't wait to see Tygra.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 05:07AM by gingaio.
Yeah, when I heard the Bandai was handling these I thought about the crappy Power Rangers Figures that we have been getting lately...As a matter of fact the only Bandai America toys I have been tempted by are those rotocast vinyl monsters from Ben10...Hey Bandai how 'bout some sofubi TC...

gingaio: That does indeed look promising, but things can still get screwed up between now and then...
I always wondered if the Mumm-ra scenes were meant to pad out the episode to 22 minutes because he talked soooo sloooowlllyyy.

An old classic, NSFW audio:

[www.cheezey.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 07:04AM by Roger.
MattAlt Wrote:
> They have Stone IPA on Planet Thundercat? I'm
> THERE, dude.

I'm pretty sure Thundera is a dry planet. You have to go off-world to get good beer. Which must be why I'm staring at that one so intently...

gingaio Wrote:
> BTW, excellent Halloween costume, there, G. :)

Hey! Thanks! You know, a lot of these lesser fools might be tempted to call it something unseemly like cosplay. Heh. I'm so glad you didn't. It must be because you know I would never associate myself with the unwashed masses of non-seasonal costuming riffraff. Like those jerks at the Ren Fest who wouldn't let me work there in my Mum-Ra costume because they said it was inauthentic period garb and that pissed me off so I pointed out "inauthentic" was a curious word for someone dressed as a centaur to use and then when he tried to slap me I used my dark magic to blast him to pieces and fly away back to my lair of evil much to the confusion of my family who up until that point had no idea I could levitate let alone fly and then had to drive back to the lair by themselves and were pretty pissed about the whole thing when they got home.

You know, nobody at the party aside from my two friends there in the photo knew what a "Mum-Ra" was. All these people kept saying, "Nice mummy costume, dood!" It made me so mad. I wanted to blast them and fly away.
gingaio Wrote:
> [tinyurl.com]
>
> All right! If this turns out as well as the grainy
> pic suggests, then I may have to (happily) eat my
> words. Can't wait to see Tygra.

That's a lot better than I expected...

So who would win in a fight, He-Man or Lion-O? And why?
You people are freaks.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
>So who would win in a fight, He-Man or Lion-O? And why?

[www.youtube.com]

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
>Hey! Thanks! You know, a lot of these lesser fools might be tempted to call it
>something unseemly like cosplay. Heh. I'm so glad you didn't. It must be because
>you know I would never associate myself with the unwashed masses of non-seasonal
>costuming riffraff...

Hilarious, man. You wouldn't happen to have read George Saunders, would you? The riff reminded me of CivilWarLand in Bad Decline in the best possible way.

>[www.youtube.com]

VZ, I stopped clicking on your links years ago--no offense--just to avoid any potentially embarrassing public situations. Is it ThunderFluffies related? Because having my colleagues and students see ThunderFluffies on my laptop is a total source of PRIDE.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 05:23PM by gingaio.
>VZ, I stopped clicking on your links years ago--no offense--just to avoid any >potentially embarrassing public situations. Is it ThunderFluffies related? Because >having my colleagues and students see ThunderFluffies on my laptop is a total >source of PRIDE.

Oh it is, trust me. It's from Family Guy.
gingaio Wrote:
> Hilarious, man. You wouldn't happen to have read
> George Saunders, would you? The riff reminded me
> of CivilWarLand in Bad Decline in the best
> possible way.

I think I will have to now. But I can honestly say that everything I wrote above came straight from the heart of my mummified remains.

As they say, "Write what you sow."
Both from Robot Chicken:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 12:31PM by Vincent Z..
Hell yeah!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 08:55PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Tiger-Furry.jpg (72.2 KB)
B00
Panthro, NOW!

> Hell yeah!
>
> [toyboxdx.com]

Damn. Bandai pulled a hat trick!
Sanjeev (Admin)
B00 Wrote:
> Panthro, NOW!

Panthro...and a classic Thundertank!
I hope Gargoyles gets hit up with a redo. It featured a multiracial strong heroine, introduced many folks to non European world mythologies (Anansi!) and for a frikkin cartoon, didn't seem to talk down to folks. Oh, and Keith Frikkin David!

I wonder if I alone watched the original Thundercats with the expectation that they'd be singing Andrew Lloyd Webber songs (c'mon - that theme!).

If this gets the updizzle, then maybe Silver Hawks can get some love.

I just CAN'T WAIT until this 80's CLASSIC gets an update! ;)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 09:29PM by RainBot.
My wife is at Toy Fair - she actually stopped by the Bandai booth today. Not a TC fan, but these look pretty cool - a natural evolution from former days I think.
There's always something about prototypes that you know won't translate to the real things, but damn, these protos look even better than the teaser pics we've been seeing:

[www.thundercats.ws]
Any pics of the classic Thundertank?

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
Sanjeev (Admin)
Oh damn...cue the role-play toys...

Kind of annoying, but I guess there's a "basic" (i.e., non-extending) SoO that actually fits into the claw shield. The deluxe SoO retracts but I guess can't fit into the shield. Bummer.

At least the new style claw shield looks dope.
gingaio Wrote:
> There's always something about prototypes that you
> know won't translate to the real things, but damn,
> these protos look even better than the teaser pics
> we've been seeing:
>
> [www.thundercats.ws]
> -toy-news-12/detailed-thundercats-classic-images-i
> n-person-shots-51/

Interesting thing is that they have the same sort of joint "circles" that the MOTUC figs have. They do look awfully nice.

More serious than thou
2011 Cartoon Teaser:

[www.youtube.com]

Maybe it's the music and the look, but it kinda reminded me of Escaflowne, which isn't a bad thing. Not much to go on, but I spotted Grune, as well as Tygra using his invisibility. The show better have some Amazon chicks and robot teddy bears, is all I have to say.
Sanjeev (Admin)
That was actually kinda great! Cautiously optimistic?
If it has that music in the actual show...

Perhaps a bit too anime, but the latter part of the trailer looked better.

--
SilhouetteFormula.Net
dammit....they had to keep Snarf.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
mcfitch (Admin)
I just woke up with "Fuck the Police" stuck in my head which is really odd since I don't listen to rap and haven't heard that song since like 1990. Then it switched in my head to "Fuck the Robeast" which is even stranger since i don't like Thundercats. Odd but I thought some of you would appreciate it.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
mcfitch Wrote:
> ...Odd but I thought some of you would
> appreciate it.

Yes.

Totally aside, but semi-similar....I dunno if any of y'all ever listen to NPR--I don't, but sometimes someone will have it on in the background--but I guess at segues in their dry, hyper-intellectual-sounding shows, they actually play hip hop beats. Recently, I heard the "Fuck the Police" beat as a segue...and it blew my fucking mind! I wonder if any of these uppity talking heads even had a clue! Haha...

Oh...by the way, Mason..."robeasts" were Voltron! ;)
mcfitch (Admin)
Shit!
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I wonder if any of these uppity
> talking heads even had a clue! Haha...

Believe me, they know.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Badass. But no Panthro??? Figures the black...uh...cat...gets shafted, damnit.

gingaio 1; repairtechjon 0. ;)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Badass. But no Panthro??? Figures the
> black...uh...cat...gets shafted, damnit.

Shaft? Shut'cho mowf!

The trailer looks good. Like the Battle of Helm's Deep, but with furries.

Muuuuuuuuuuuum-Ra, the Ever Living Mech-Warrior!

Etc!

I can't wait to watch this. Mmm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer