MOTU Classics

Posted by fujikuro 
Sanjeev (Admin)
LOL

You a Pack fan? I like Aaron Rogers...and as a Pats fan, the last thing I wanted to see was Roethlisberger win another ring! ;)

All through the game, my buddies and I were recreating that hilarious MST3k episode!
Indeed I am. Our backup QB almost beat you guys. ;) That MST3K is hilarious! I hadn't seen that one.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
hillsy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Our backup QB almost beat you guys...

So true. I think the Pats over-achieved this year, so while I'm disappointed we lost to the fucking Jets, I don't feel too bad overall.

But back on topic, did you guys see that crazy headgear on Panthor?? I don't remember any helmet on the original toy--is that something new? Or a reference to the comic?
The headgear, from what I understand, is just something the Horsemen came up with. It's patterned after Skeletor's Havoc Staff, and doesn't have much relation to anything canon. I think the lack of flocking is the dealbreaker for me on this one. It's weird--I usually don't care about some trivial detail like that, but the flocking is really what was essential to the vintage toy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 06:11PM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I totally agree that the flocking was CLUTCH on the vintage toy...but the way I look at it, the articulation makes up for it. Plus, having a bitchin' steed is, well, bitchin'.

And I saw the Havoc staff connection immediately, but had no idea where it came from. I guess nowhere. But whatever--it's cool. I loved Battlecat's armor and always wished Panthor had some too...
I'm loving it myself. Love the helmet, and the head is not exactly the same as Battle Cat's. There are some minor changes in head sculpt as well.

I've been wanting a Keldor, which was on sale today as a reissue.

And then I grabbed the Shadow Beast as well.

More serious than thou
gingaio Wrote:
> I think the lack of flocking is the dealbreaker for
> me on this one. It's weird--I usually don't care
> about some trivial detail like that, but the
> flocking is really what was essential to the
> vintage toy.

Did you see the MOTUC Mossman? I thought the flocking on that looked horrible because of the articulation. As it stands, Panthor reminds me of a purple Frazetta cat. Which is good.

fujikuro Wrote:
> I've been wanting a Keldor, which was on sale
> today as a reissue.

You wouldn't know it from the pictures on the internet, but Keldor is cast in a really, really bright shade of blue. Much brighter than Skeletor. I was a little disappointed in that, but it's still a good figure. The cape is good, the armor is good, the acid is good, but the two sword halves are shit.

Love the goof factor on the shadow beast. It looks like some dumb cross between a gorilla, a bear, and a chicken. Glorious.
Gcrush Wrote:
> Did you see the MOTUC Mossman? I thought the
> flocking on that looked horrible because of the
> articulation.
>
You know, it didn't look that bad to me, actually. Never dug the character, though, so I passed. Maybe it looks worse in hand?
The Shadow Beast is at least a monster character in both the Filmation and newer 200x television shows. So, it's "canon" if you will. I remember liking the design even when I was a kid.

The flocking is an issue for some - personally I found flocking to be irritating as a kid. The moment you play with it, it starts rubbing off.

More serious than thou
Interesting--looks like Mattel is letting fans decide the skin color on the upcoming Triple-Face Dude figure. For those who need a recap, the original toy had orange skin, but the figure was intended to be flesh-toned. Not to be racist against orange people, and though this does fly in the face of my usual devotion to vintage-accuracy, but I'd really love to have a flesh-colored Triple-Face Dude in techno-inspired S & M gear.

My choice is losing by just over a hundred votes...Man, I wish I had just over a hundred friends who were Loincloth Lenny fans and also pining for a flesh-colored Triple-Face Dude.

[forums.mattycollector.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 01:29AM by gingaio.
mcfitch (Admin)
I tried voting for the original colors. Partly to spite you (though I certainly have no reason to. "I just like doing stuff like that"), and partly because I have a soft spot for these toys as they are from my childhood. The fucked up part is that I am in no way going to purchase this figure. But rest easy, I had to be a registered forum user to vote and didn't care enough to follow through. Meh.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 01:10PM by mcfitch.
Personally, I voted for the half-orange. I am fond of the old original, but I do remember the card back being different from the toy. It seems like a good compromise.

More serious than thou
I'm loving what I see from this line, but I am bummed that I missed out on He-Man and Skeletor...I just cant bring myself to pay more than the already high sticker price plus shipping for them...I know, I know, Skeletor and He-man are coming in their battle armor, but if there isn't a rotating battle damage cylinder I just don't see the point...I guess I stuck waiting for rerererereleases....
If the flesh tone isn't gonna win, I'd rather the original colors make it. It must be a psychological thing--because the half & half was what was shown at Toy Fair, that's what people have assumed as the default, even though it has less connection to the vintage line than either of other two choices. I'm sure if protos of the other two versions had been shown, we'd see a different result.
Oh, yeah, before I forget:

CURSE YOU MASOOOONNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

....for almost stomping on my dream.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Orange all the way. The original figure was one of my favorites, so I'd like the new one to remain faithful to that. Of course, I'm not a registered user either... :P
I made a serious effort to get Hordak when he was released. Despite my persistent efforts, I couldn't grab him from mattel, so I paid twice as much for an ebay one. Despite the steep price...HE ROCKS. He's my only MOTUC. I skipped on a lot of my other favorites because I'm a cheap bastard. However, if they do modulok, I will lose my shit.
Oh man, yous guys gotta shop around better.

As to the orange, I was a dumb kid, and thought that was just an outfit he was wearing. Making it flesh-y would freak me out.
mcfitch (Admin)
Bingo John. That states it for me perfectly.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Heh...fleshy would be kinda creepy, now that I think of it...

Orange just complements the blue armor better anyway, though, so I think it simply looks better (not just "proper").

As for Hordak, I actually found him to be one of my least favorite additions to the line. Ended up selling mine. Anyway, you really shouldn't be paying much over retail for these: there'll always be reissues...

So last night, I opened Scareglow (a grossly-delayed event due to the toy arriving just as I was moving). Holy fucking hell. Now, I can get how some people may not be feeling the design choices they made with this guy, but damn, what a fantastic toy. The glow of the figure and weapon...plus the poseability...make him pretty fucking sweet.

You can pull off the plastic cape easily, so I'm now thinking of getting a swatch of purple silk to make some proper attire!
Sanjeev, what didn't you like about Hordak?
Sanjeev (Admin)
I dunno...all the bits around the head and shoulders made his posing a bit unwieldy. Plus I was never a big fan of the character--his nose kinda looked piggy to me...and he was always snorting in the show! :P

Plus, to make him look "right", he's gotta have all that crap all over him...the staff, the funky crossbow, the familiar/bat/thing. Without that stuff, he just looks like an evil wizard...who forgot all his shit back at the lab. But with it, he looks silly and over-encumbered.

Lenny's much more straight-forward: naked muscle dude with big sword. Ya kinda can't argue with that. Very flexible and easy to pose. Looks appropriate with or without the sword. That's just good action figure subject matter, right there...

Now where's Gcrush. I wanna hear him try to rail against the merits of Scareglow!

Shit, it's been for-fucking-ever since I've taken a glow shot...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2011 07:07PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - 201_0119.JPG (49.8 KB)
open | download - 201_0120.JPG (27.9 KB)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> I dunno...all the bits around the head and
> shoulders made his posing a bit unwieldy.
> Plus, to make him look "right", he's gotta have
> all that crap all over him...the staff, the funky
> crossbow, the familiar/bat/thing.

I liked the vintage figure, but the MOTUC one just didn't do it for me. I think it's the albino vampire pig design. There's no pop to it. No oomph. If they did a blue version with a cannon arm I'd be down with that. But the gray skin against the rainbow backdrop of all the other figures is just too little. Meh.

> Now where's Gcrush. I wanna hear him try to rail
> against the merits of Scareglow!

I'm here, baby. I'm here. This is one of those figures I'm glad I bought two of. The basic design is good, but the QC on both was trash. One had a smudgy paint job and the other had a melty foot and cape. Otherwise, it's a home-run toy. One of my favorites in the line.

Since I'm at it, the Shadow Beast is a good counter point to this. My sample has flawless QC, but the design choices are goofy. It will look good on the shelf standing still, but it won't be doing much posing or interacting with other figures.

1) Like Gygor, it has V-crotch articulation and insert molded ankles - thus making the articulation on the lower body utterly useless. You can wiggle it just enough to make it unstable. Perpendicular cuts at the crotch would have fixed this.

2) The insert-molded ankles are useless. They should have been moved to the wrists where they would actually be used.

3) The neck joint needs a redesign. The figure cannot look down to eyeball normally sized Lenny figures, nor can it turn its head from side-to-side. Making the neck post vertical and changing the angle of the cut at the base of the figure's head would have fixed this.

4) The elbows don't bend very far because of the cuts in the sculpt. Their range of motion could have been vastly improved with little change.

Despite these shortcomings, the wife likes Shadow Beast. "It makes me smile to look at it."
Overall, I have to say I think I like Shadow Beast better than Gygor, despite the flaws you mention above. This is one of those figures I never thought would get made, but always wanted as a kid.

Also enjoying my reissue Keldor quite a bit. Granted some of that is my kids' interest in the character, but I actually like the brighter blue skin, and they did a fine job with the head sculpt. My only real issue is that I feel like his hair ought to have some gray streaks or something in it to make it look a bit more like the animated character. At first I wasn't so enamored of the use of the Power Swords for him, but after placing my 200x Skeletor swords in his hands, I have to say that the Power Swords just look better.

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
> Overall, I have to say I think I like Shadow Beast
> better than Gygor, despite the flaws you mention
> above. This is one of those figures I never
> thought would get made, but always wanted as a
> kid.

I liked Gygor more because of the garish colors and screaming face. Shadow Beast ain't bad at all. But both of them could have been a lot better with a little more attention to design.

> At first I wasn't so
> enamored of the use of the Power Swords for him,
> but after placing my 200x Skeletor swords in his
> hands, I have to say that the Power Swords just
> look better.

I didn't like the 200x swords much at all. My beef was with Mattel giving Keldor two power sword halves instead of two complete power swords. Those half sword designs are booty. The gimmick doesn't work well and it looks bad, too.
Gcrush Wrote:
> fujikuro Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----

>
> I liked Gygor more because of the garish colors
> and screaming face. Shadow Beast ain't bad at
> all. But both of them could have been a lot
> better with a little more attention to design.
>

Can't disagree with that. I am a big fan of the yellow fur and green skin. The Shadow Beasts are just a favorite, and I have no nostalgic connection to Gygor. Not that anyone really does...

>
> > At first I wasn't so
> > enamored of the use of the Power Swords for
> him,
> > but after placing my 200x Skeletor swords in
> his
> > hands, I have to say that the Power Swords just
> > look better.
>
> I didn't like the 200x swords much at all. My
> beef was with Mattel giving Keldor two power sword
> halves instead of two complete power swords.
> Those half sword designs are booty. The gimmick
> doesn't work well and it looks bad, too.

They just should have Classic'ized the design of his splitting swords. The Power Swords thing is OK - better than the 200x sword designs - but they could have done better than either and gone with a new design that looked like a classic, but had the splitting capability. It shouldn't have been hard, and it's kind of surprising that Spymonkey, for example, hasn't done a custom design to accommodate that.

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
> They just should have Classic'ized the design of
> his splitting swords. The Power Swords thing is
> OK - better than the 200x sword designs - but they
> could have done better than either and gone with a
> new design that looked like a classic, but had the
> splitting capability. It shouldn't have been
> hard, and it's kind of surprising that Spymonkey,
> for example, hasn't done a custom design to
> accommodate that.

You said it. They could have done a lot better. And hopefully Spymonkey will prove that at some point.
Got lucky with today's Mattycollector sale. The WSOD was as bad as I've ever seen it personally, but I managed to squeak in a purchase of King Hssss apparently at the last minute. Guy sold out in 20 minutes and the sold out notice was up immediately following my purchase. Finally snagged an Evil Lyn and Count Marzo as well. I had no interest in Battle Armor Skeletor or any of the other reissues. Next month is the big one for me, with Panthor and the weapons rack up for sale.

More serious than thou
fujikuro Wrote:
> The WSOD was as bad as I've ever seen it personally...

It was a big step backwards since the last two months were relatively smooth sailing. I had the fucking WSOD appear when I was trying to complete check out. Lame.

I am surprised King Hiss sold out so quickly. Is he really that popular of a character? I always thought he was goofy when I was a kid. Which is why I like the concept of a Pants-Wearing-Bundle-of-Snakes now. But, really. 20 minutes? Crazy.

Looking forward to Panthor next month. Battle Cat was such a superior toy this purplized version will be teh tits.
I'm just hoping Panthor will be a bit less floppy than Battle Cat. Mine at least has got loose joints all over the place.

And this was by far the longest I've had to wait for the WSOD to go away. Though previously I've had it lose items that I had in my cart, only to find after the WSOD went away that they were gone. Luckily the ones I wanted hadn't yet sold out in that case. In this case, I was really afraid I'd miss out, and just barely managed not to.

Still trying to decide if it's worth picking up Sy-Klone. I like the looks of the figure, but still...

Marzo came my way since my kids like him and the Shadow Beast so much...

More serious than thou
Gcrush Wrote:
> fujikuro Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> I am surprised King Hiss sold out so quickly. Is
> he really that popular of a character? I always
> thought he was goofy when I was a kid. Which is
> why I like the concept of a
> Pants-Wearing-Bundle-of-Snakes now. But, really.
> 20 minutes? Crazy.
>
He's got a unique look to him in the MOTU universe that's really nifty. The green scaly armor is what does it for me.

For some reason, Mattel split the Hiss batch in two, one for today and another for April 1, so that's why he went quick. I managed to pick one up along with Battle Armor Skeletor right before the sell-out, but not without hitting a WSOD every step of the checkout process. Overall, took about twenty minutes. Don't think this will be a regular occurrence, as Battle Armor Skeletor and the other figs are still readily available now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2011 04:23PM by gingaio.
gingaio Wrote:
> He's got a unique look to him in the MOTU universe
> that's really nifty. The green scaly armor is what
> does it for me.

I guess I could see that.

> For some reason, Mattel split the Hiss batch in
> two, one for today and another for April 1, so
> that's why he went quick.

Ah, same thing that happened with Vikor. Well, if Vikor's scenario was any indication then King Hiss should hang around for a day or two when it goes back up. Which would be awesome since it would mean that, after two fucking years, Mattel is finally producing enough figures in a run that they won't instantly sell out. So, so nice.

I hope this holds true with Panthor...
Crap. Looks like Matty screwed up the shoulders--AGAIN--with the Hiss figure, only this time it's way more noticeable and actually has some impact on articulation. Glad I didn't have a chance to open mine. Just eBayed it to a less discriminating collector.

The response from Matty's rep, Toyguru, is really irritating:

"I understand that some people may not want King Hssss when he goes back on sale in a week or so (due to not all the inventory being ready for his sale day, much like what happened with Vikor). But he is completely produced and shipped (or at least shipping as we speak on a boat). We're not going to be discounting him. This is your King Hssss people.

To redo the shoulders would require new tooling (we found this out while pulling one apart today). We can't even just swap the shoulders like we did with He-Man. This makes a reissue that much more less likely.

You are more then welcome to pass on Hssss and I respect that. But keep in mind your collection will then be missing him. We really don't have plans or the resources/logistics for a Hssss 2.0 with tooling at this point. (a tooling sku takes up even more resources then a "quick fix" development sku like we used for He-Man)."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2011 08:55PM by gingaio.
gingaio Wrote:
> The response from Matty's rep, Toyguru, is really
> irritating...
>
> "You don't know how lucky you are that we let you
> pay us money each month for the privilage of sucking
> our bloated, corporate cock."

This is why I have such high hopes for Mattel doing Voltron.

It's practically guaranteed that they'll meet or exceed our expectations at every turn. God bless their inscrutable moxie.
I've seen posts on he-man.org where customizers have swapped shoulders already, and the various bits don't line up any better than they do on the "normal" reversed shoulders. In fact, swapping them reduces articulation according to this person. So, I'll wait to see with mine.

More serious than thou
Huh--got a different impression from the he-man.org posts, Mr. Serious Guy. The people whose posts I've read seem happier with the fix. The concern isn't just aesthetic. It also has to to with the fact that the misaligned shoulder-bicep connection results in unintended rubbing of the plastic pieces, which over time can affect the joints and those pieces in contact with each other.

That Toyguru guy needs to hire a PR person to do the apologizing for him. The mix of smarminess and prickly defensiveness ain't helping. Granted, I'm sure he's taken a lot of shit from extremist collectors, but fighting shit with shit never helps. BTW--a fun fact for those of you who bought the Palace Guard packs--the caucasian human face is actually that of Toyguru. Ugh.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2011 04:52PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - rightfull.jpg (85.1 KB)
Eh, like I said, I'll wait till I see it myself. It's an incredibly stupid error that they should have avoided, but the question is whether it really does impact the toy or not.

I went back to try to find the post(s) I was looking at, but couldn't find them, and couldn't be bothered to spend more than about 5 minutes looking for them. Anyway, according the person posting, it was clear that the shoulders still had issues with mobility when reversed, with just different problems with parts rubbing instead of the issues with the normal shoulders. Basically, the shoulders were fucked up no matter how you dealt with them.

Anyway, Mattel clearly has some major issues with QC, including with their designers, since one would think they would be going over things before molds got made and so on.

As it is, Toyguru's got about as much tact as Godzilla. Why they let him be the face of things is beyond me. I agree about this being a major problem for Mattel and for the line, because of what it symbolizes, but is it really a major problem for the toy? Dunno till I see one.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
I haven't been following what's going on here--I have no interest in King Hsss because he's a fucking parts-swapper, unlike the original figure with the rubber snakes stuffed in his human torso.

Anyway, as such, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Like...the shoulders are fucked up somehow? But there's no hidden snake gimmick--the torso should function the same way as any average MotUC figure. What is it about this design that makes the shoulders fucked?
No impact on the torso--it's about how the pattern of the scales in the shoulder flow into the biceps area. When you have the shoulders reversed (as in the pic), you've got the pointy part of the shoulder, which should be directed forward, bumping back against the triceps. I'll defer to Mr. Serious Guy, since I never even bothered to open mine, but I'm guessing the problem is when you swivel the biceps, the pointy part might get in the way based on where it's positioned.

For me, it's more an aesthetic thing, with that large gap between the shoulder and biceps. It's just a shame that with the thought the Horsemen put into designing the figs, they can get so easily screwed up.
Well, sounds like part of the problem is that they HAVEN'T been having the Horsemen look over things before sending them off. You'd kinda figure the designers might notice when something was off. Then again, the shoulders crap has been going on since the line's inception. At this point it's kind of a tradition.

More serious than thou
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer