MOTU Classics

Posted by fujikuro 
I managed to nab Battle Cat for less than $60 off of Ebay. It was by far the best price at the time. Wish I was into these things at the time of release. $30 is a steal!

I haven't unboxed him yet, since he's waiting to sit under the Xmas tree as a gift from my wife...

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, like a dumbass, I slept on the Battle Cat. The aftermarket money they command is astounding (even $60 seems like a steal)! But that's fine--they'll reissue it soon enough.

Anyway, I'd forgotten about that. Maybe there IS hope for some vehicles then...maybe a slime pit! ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2010 02:16PM by Sanjeev.
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...maybe a slime pit!

Eh, just to be a wet blanket I'll mention that Mattel said slime was "expensive to produce" when someone asked about it. And you know when Mattel starts poor mouthing...

On a lighter note, I think that Battle Cat is being reissued during Mattel's Black Friday sale. Don't sleep on it this time around!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush Wrote:
> ...Mattel said slime was "expensive to produce"...

You fucking serious?
[www.associatedcontent.com]
Sanjeev Wrote:
> You fucking serious?

Yeah, I kid you not. Here's a link to an official reply they gave about it (in question number five). It's not the only time they've poo-poo'd the idea, but it was the easiest one for me to find.

I remember doing the slime experiment at home using borax, white glue, and food coloring. And again on a field trip to Fermilab, of all places. I don't know what that was all about, but I remember we used polyvinyl alcohol instead of borax for crosslinking and the results were tremendously better.

Anyway, I thought the same thing as you when I read the reply about it being expensive. Really? Fucking retarded answer.

Some dood did a custom MOTUC Slime Pit He-Man. Nice. That's guy's crazy for customizing, too.

Another dood did a custom vintage version, though I'm not sure how being slimed turns He-Man translucent...

I'm pretty sure MOTUC figures will still work with the vintage Slime Pit if one were so inclined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2010 07:24PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - MOTUC_custm_Slime_Pit_He_Man_2_by_masterenglish.jpg (187.2 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Incidentally, I am SO fucking bummed I missed out on that dude who was doing all the crazy resin-cast He-Mans a while back. Clear, clear with glow skulls inside...all types of weird amazing shit.

And semi-related, I think it would be awesome if Mattel also sold unpainted bucks for customizing...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> And semi-related, I think it would be awesome if
> Mattel also sold unpainted bucks for
> customizing...

Haw. After hearing Mattel's stance on slime you just know they'd tell us that naked bucks would be too expensive to produce. Dirty fuckers.

Seriously though, that MOTUC customizer is nuts. He's got tons of stuff. But at $20 a pop those Loincloth Lennies seem a bit on the expensive side to be good fodder.

Regarding the vintage re-caster-blasters, some of those doods post on the he-man.org forums. But good luck trying to sort that place out and navigate. It's about as nutty as a Transpeanut forum. Those guys take their shit pretty damn seriously. Yikes.
Sanjeev....isn't he on skullbrain? "audiodifficulties" did 'em, I think.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Yes, that was a couple of years ago that he started those and he's still doing them:

[skullbrain.org]

All of this griping about slime. Can't you buy a figure and get your own slime? You guys should be thankful Mattel is bothering with this "Mattycollector" stuff at all.

I hope they make that unproduced jumbo dinosaur toy.
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'll be damned! Musta been right before I joined there...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this whole thread is about being thankful for having MotUC! I sure love 'em. I just don't think teh MARKET will support Mattel doing vehicles as extravagantly as in the original toy line. And that's hardly Mattel's fault.

BUT...they *could* do slime! ;)

But yeah, the obvious solution is to get a vintage Slime Pit and make your own goo. It's not like the figures have to fit in anything.

I'd love for them to do a MotUC-scale Battle Bones!
Would the slimy stuff(before cooking) from the "Thing Maker" toys work? I forget what that stuff was like exactly stickywise, been years, but I keep seeing the more recent reissues of the bug-baking toy sets on the shelves lately, as well as tubes of the goo that look near identical to the vintage goo tubes packaging. I guess they never stopped making those kits.

Oh and a couple cans of that "FLARP!" noise making putty, that'd probably work.
I would be surprised if at least the Battle Ram and Wind Raider weren't produced. The line seems to be doing pretty well, judging from all the sell-outs, and even with new tooling costs, I imagine Mattel would do okay with the extremely popular rides. The original Battle Ram is one of my favorite toys of all time--as a kid I must have lost entire days to just launching that missile across the living room.

I also had the OG Battle Cat and it was always a mediocre thing, given that it had no poseability whatsoever, so I was completely blown away by the new one. What's so appealing about these new figures, as Fujikuro alluded to, is that they manage to capture so much the essence and even physical feel of the old toys while updating them, so much so that for a non-toy nerd, the difference might not even be noticeable.

Anyway, Battle Cat's rival is on the way: [www.actionfigurepics.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2010 11:26PM by gingaio.
Looking forward to Panthor! I'll be able to test to compatibility of the Classics figs with the originals pretty soon. I have a Stridor, Battle Ram, and Attack Trak on their way via cheap Ebay auctions. That ought to settle the scale issue fairly well.

As it is, I have tried having the Classics figs ride on my Sectaurs pupper beasts. They're basically the same scale with the Sectaurs figures, so they look just fine riding the beasts.

Additionally, got Scareglow today, and I'm really liking it. The appeal of the original toys in many ways was the simplicity of the line - same set of arms, torsos, legs and so on all getting mixed up and recolored with the occasional new molded part to make all new characters. It shouldn't have worked, but it did. Scareglow is in many respects, just an altered Skeletor, but still comes off as a different character. And the glow is REALLY glowie! :)

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
That new Panthor BETTER be flocked!

Glad you're digging Scareglow! Not sure how I feel about the molded cape, though. The original's fabric cape was sick.

And, remember, the 80's Joe line was the same buck being used over and over, too. They just sculpted different details (and paint ops) for each one. This sort of parts reuse happened more often than we tend to realize...
mcfitch (Admin)
fujikuro
As it is, I have tried having the Classics figs ride on my Sectaurs pupper beasts. They're basically the same scale with the Sectaurs figures, so they look just fine riding the beasts.

Uh...can I come play at your house?
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Remembered to take a pic last night. Guest-starring G1 Bludgeon, who's apparently an undead samurai...with a tiny robot-tank-dude inside him. I think that's just the right mix of physical deformity and schizophrenia to qualify to be a Master of the Universe.

I don't know where I put my MotUC Scareglow, so Zodak's filling in. I tried to have him crouch as much as that rubber wang-guard would allow, but there's not getting around it...he towers over the MotU Scare Glow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2010 10:49AM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - 198_9814.jpg (342.8 KB)
Old scare glow wins.
I think this line is really awesome. I've abstained from it for the most part, since I still prefer the originals. However, I took the plunge on a Hordak and he is awesome. They just did a roboto, who looks fantastic. Still, I have the old one, and not a lot of money.
Sanjeev (Admin)
jacksauce Wrote:
> Old scare glow wins.

Agreed...but it still illustrates that the new guys are a bit too tall. I should break out Scareglow and photograph them side by side...
The new Scareglow has a good deal of glow to him. BTW, I received my Stridor in the mail yesterday, and while the MOTUC figs can't sit on him (with legs tucked inside) the way the old figs could, the new ones can easily sit astride him the way one would really ride a horse.

From what I can see, the main issue size-wise with the new figs is the body proportions. The old figs have huge heads and tiny legs.

More serious than thou
Did my first buy from Mattycollector today. Nabbed Grizzlor before he sold out, and also the weapons pack. King Grayskull does nothing for me at all, so he's a total pass. Since my He-Man is from the TRU two-pack with Superman, I'll be trying to grab a He-Man on Cyber Monday as well. Anyone have any experience with how quickly they ship?

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
I forget how fast it took to get my crate of Scareglows...

But if you have the He-Man from the two-pack, why do you need another one? Aren't they identical??
Nope, not identical. Firstly, the TRU is a repaint, with some oddities in coloration, but most importantly it doesn't come with his sword - either the half or whole one. The Skeletor two-pack also does not come with all his accessories. It only comes with the whole power sword in a bright yellow color, and not havok staff. He's a bit of a repaint as well, with a strictly yellow "cartoon accurate" face. Not bad if you're into owning multiple editions of things, but I don't tend to do that. I'll probably wind up selling the two-fer set if I can grab a Cyber Monday He-Man.

More serious than thou
Grizzlor arrived today. Pretty neat figure, and I like hi a lot more than I anticipated. The fur and all his weapons make it fairly unique among the MOTUC figs I have. Typical posability and so on for one of these. Still, just a nicely executed figure. Here's a pic with a few friends.

More serious than thou
cae
love my OG, incomplete Grizzlor - thisun haint s'bad, nie-ther

hassenpfeffer
Count me in for some Grizzlor Classics love. So it's basically a psychotic Monchichi, but that's part of the appeal, I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 11:28PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - MOTU Grizzlor + Lunch.jpg (82 KB)
Hard to believe, but both Skeletor and He-Man are still available via Mattycollector.com: [www.mattycollector.com]

This from their Cyber Monday sale. Battle Cat went pretty quickly, and I would have nabbed one myself if I didn't have one bought via Ebay a few months back waiting for me under the tree for Xmas (purchased before this sale was announced unfortunately). I did grab a He-Man myself, as all I have is the two-pack He-Man. I'll at least have proper colors and power swords now. I'd seriously think about getting one of each of these to keep MISP, but I've never done that before so why start now?

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
WHOOPS!!

Damnit...I missed Battle Cat again, huh? Balls...

Anyone have an extra??? :P
Just nabbed one of the Palace Guards two-packs. The set is awfully nice. Man-at-Arms was already one of my very favorites of the line, and these guys follow up quite nicely. Same sort of armor, though it is applied to both arms and legs. The chest armor has replaceable plates in it similar to the Battle Armor He-Man, figures have two clips to hold weapons on their backs. There are 4 different types of heads (white guy, black guy, feline-faced guy, and reptilian-faced guy) all with the same sort of helmet as Man-at-Arms, though this time they come with additional mouth/face guards that can be removed. Two pole-axes, two shields, one mace (looks just like the one that came with the original Castle Grayskull) and an axe. Mattel seems to have corrected the problems with floppy ankles, as both of these guys are stable as a rock (as were Grizzlor and Buzz-Off, and supposedly the new Vikor figure has further changes). Lots of play value here, and the first kind of "army builder" in the line. Definitely worth picking up!

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
That sounds bitchin'...will have to check out that two-pack!
Sanjeev Wrote:
> WHOOPS!!
>
> Damnit...I missed Battle Cat again, huh? Balls...
>
> Anyone have an extra??? :P

Drat! I forget who wants what. I've seen the Battle Cat at a couple toy/collector shows recently(of course), along with the rest of the line at reasonable prices. I was only after Roboto.
Lemme know if you want I get'chas some next show. This goes for anybody not near toy/collector shows. I always keep an eye out, IF I remember the list.

Also, did my once every 2/3month stop in at TRU. What's the deal with the peg warming 2 packs, with Skeletor vs. Lex Luthor? Weird set. But on clearance. Not worth it for the different Skeletor?
repairtechjon Wrote:
> Sanjeev Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > WHOOPS!!
> >
> > Damnit...I missed Battle Cat again, huh?
> Balls...
> >
> > Anyone have an extra??? :P
>
>
>
> Drat! I forget who wants what. I've seen the
> Battle Cat at a couple toy/collector shows
> recently(of course), along with the rest of the
> line at reasonable prices. I was only after
> Roboto.
> Lemme know if you want I get'chas some next show.
> This goes for anybody not near toy/collector
> shows. I always keep an eye out, IF I remember the
> list.
>
> Also, did my once every 2/3month stop in at TRU.
> What's the deal with the peg warming 2 packs, with
> Skeletor vs. Lex Luthor? Weird set. But on
> clearance. Not worth it for the different
> Skeletor?

I'd probably pick one up if I ever DID see it on clearance. The yellow "glowing" power sword and different face paint might make it worth it. Hopefully the two-pack Skeletor stands better than my regular one. Still, I have absolutely no interest in a Lex Luthor. Generally can't stand superhero stuff.

More serious than thou
Delicious.

Delicious.

Not every toy in this line is a winner, but I love how fucking obscure they can get with them. Bikini Teela? Damn. That shit's as good as Vikor!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 11:44AM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_9680.JPG (137.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_9673.JPG (100 KB)
Oh, yeah. Anyone have a broken or unloved Zodac or Man-at-Arms they'd want to part with? I need a couple to chop apart...
Gcrush Wrote:
> Delicious.
>
> [toyboxdx.com]
>
>
> Delicious.
>
> [toyboxdx.com]
>
>
> Not every toy in this line is a winner, but I love
> how fucking obscure they can get with them.
> Bikini Teela? Damn. That shit's as good as
> Vikor!

Let's note the Man-E-Faces face thingy down at the bottom left of Teela there...

OK, hell, I went to he-man.org and saw the full pics. Man-E-Faces looks great! The gun that Teela has there, too, is so damn perfect.

More serious than thou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 12:03PM by fujikuro.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ooh...Man-E's looking great, but I don't get the Teela. What's "Ultimate Battleground" supposed to mean?
Dunno, but it's the way Teela was portrayed in the old original mini-comics - blonde hair and barbarian outfit.

More serious than thou
mcfitch (Admin)
Somewhat related but totally awesome:

[www.flickr.com]

-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev (Admin)
Definitely awesome!

...Except for the part about the dude being a fucking Steelers fan! :P
*DERAIL ALERT*

We took care of that for you, Sanjeev. ;)

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer