MOTU Classics

Posted by fujikuro 
So, I've decided to take the plunge into yet another collecting arena, damn me. OF the 80's properties that I was most into at the time, Transformers has really only been the one that has held my interest until the newer Classics line of MOTU came along. I've avoided getting involved until now, but since Toys R Us was offering the two pack with He-Man and Superman (of all things), I decided to give it a try. Hell, He-Man's a great action figure. I have the somewhat lousy 2002 He-Man, and the lack of articulation and modern design sensibilities really put me off to the line. However, these new ones seem to strike just the right balance. Unfortunately, He-Man does not come with his sword, but since it's now so goddamn hard to find one at a reasonable price, the two-pack seems to be the only real option.

My question is, to those who are into the line, what are the best figures amongst the rest? Luckily there is a Faker figure, who was, oddly, my favorite toy of the original line, despite (or because of) his absolutely awful color scheme. Getting a Skeletor is a no-brainer, as are Man-at-Arms, Beast Man, Mer-Man, and of course Trap-Jaw, but are any of the others worth the effort? Their focus with the line seems a bit spotty so far - you have characters like He-Ro (whoever that is), but no Ram-Man, Man-E,Faces, or Mekaneck?

More serious than thou
I'd say you need Battle Cat, Teela, Evil Lyn and Stratos, along with the ones you mentioned. The problem is, how are you going to get them? eBay?

There's a collector's club that you pay for up front to get the year's worth of figures, but you have to get all of them and they ship individually. They're supposed to re-release a lot of the past figures, but who knows when? And every time they have a new figure, no matter how obscure, up on the website the site crashes and it's luck of the draw. And they're 20 bucks before shipping each.

It's one of the main reasons I haven't gotten into the line, despite liking the two two packs (He man/Superman and Skeletor/Luthor) that I've picked up at TRU. I tried once, once, to get a figure when it was released: She-ra, for my daughter, and it ended in abject failure. I'm already collecting another Mattel line that is frustrating to collect, DCUC, so I'm not sure I'm up for another one.

So what's your secret plan? :)
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, this line is actually pretty kick-ass. I've got a MotUC Zodac (did I get that from Gcrush??) on my desk at work right now. Scare Glow's my favorite of the line...for obvious reasons...but Trap Jaw, Zodak (the black dude with glow tattoos from the 2002 series), Battle Cat, and Faker are pretty clutch. And for the record, I actually love the blue He-Man color scheme on Faker!

I'm sure they'll come out with Mekaneck and Man-E-Faces at some point...same with Ram-Man. But keep in mind, ALL three of those require pretty significant mold changes. And I assume they have to release unpopular characters sprinkled into the mix so that they make consistent money...but who knows when it comes to character choice.

Anyway, I don't "collect" these as much as finagle the few that I like (trades from friends, loose ones offa eBay...I even got lucky with the website when Scare Glow came out). But if you want a guarantee, your best bet is to subscribe. That way, you get them all for the year at retail...and the ones you don't want, just flip 'em immediately and make more than your money back.
Unfortunately, the subscription is a dead issue. It only ran through a period of 2009. Perhaps they will renew it at some point.

At this point, I'm going to buy via Amazon/Ebay/BBTS. Yes, they are going to be more expensive that way, generally, but I did just score an unopened Mer-Man on Ebay for 18 bucks. That's less than the original asking price.

This line is all about nostalgia for me, so though Scare Glow looks kind of interesting, I have nothing to tie it to my childhood. I don't remember the character at all, since I probably didn't have any of the toys past the second set of original releases.

Yeah, Battle Cat's on my Xmas list now. You can grab him for under $80 via Ebay these days if you're careful. Zodac and Stratos are others I'd like at some point.

As for purchasing on the Mattycollector site, I do have my eye on the weapons pack that's to be released on the 15th of Nov. Otherwise, the characters up for sale don't really do much for me. Again, no connection whatsoever to my childhood there.

I do agree about the significant alteration they would need to do for the characters I've mentioned. Still, there are a number of newer figures in the line that are entirely different from the stock body, including some 12" tall guy and a giant gorilla. Guess they're trying to do the same thing that Hasbro is doing with the various "Classics" lines, and trying to cover multiple eras of the toy line's history.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Whoa...which dude is 12"??

Anyway, sucks that the subscription deal isn't being offered anymore...
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whoa...which dude is 12"??

Here y'are: [www.mattycollector.com]

Tytus? Never heard of him before.

>
> Anyway, sucks that the subscription deal isn't
> being offered anymore...

Seems like it may be again in the future, but they appear to have closed the 2010 collector year back in 2009. Could be we'll see something again like that this year.

Actually, looking into it more, here is what they say on their site: "Club Eterniaâ„¢ subscriptions are only available for a short time each year. The 2011 membership subscription purchase period ends on August 11th at 4 p.m. PT, so get yours now!"

In addition, the total outlay for a year's subscription is pretty damn high: $470 all told not including the cost of shipping. Hell, there just aren't enough interesting characters for me to go that route. I'll pay aftermarket prices for the few I actually want, and in total it'll come to way less than $470.

More serious than thou
[www.mattycollector.com]

One of my favorite oldies is Roboto, with his clear chest, moving gears, and chomper mouthplate, so I'm keeping an eye out for one of the new ones to go with it.

I've seen that silly Skeletor/DentistDude 2pack at a couple shops. Anyone go for that?
Weren't all of the new Robotos incorrectly assembled or something? (I still read toynewsi.com occasionally.)
Yeah, I'd hold off on picking up the Robotos. The shoulders were assembled backwards (sort of like the first-run He-Mans and Skeletors).

Sanjeev wrote:
>I'm sure they'll come out with Mekaneck and Man-E-Faces at some point...same with
>Ram-Man. But keep in mind, ALL three of those require pretty significant mold
>changes. And I assume they have to release unpopular characters sprinkled into the
>mix so that they make consistent money...but who knows when it comes to character
>choice.

That's exactly right, actually. Mattel's got the line-up figured out through 2015, and the company's deliberately spread out the fan-favorites in order to redirect every last drop of interest on recolors and third-string characters. A subscription is pointless unless you're a completist. You can usually pick up the newest figures for close to or at retail from places He-Man.org.

When they do release Mekaneck/Man-E-Faces, I hope to god they're released with their defining gimmicks. It sort of kills me that Battle Armor Lenny doesn't have the chest tumbler action of the vintage, but that aside, it's still a pretty kick-ass fig.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2010 01:10AM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - MOTU BA Lenny.jpg (67.2 KB)
fujikuro Wrote:
> My question is, to those who are into the line,
> what are the best figures amongst the rest?

Aside from the hit-or-miss QC, they're all good. Not a dog in the bunch. Let nostalgia be your guide.

The price is a bitter pill to swallow, but it seems to be the only way a large company like Mattel would get around to turning out a new figure each month. If you buy from their website during the monthly 15th sales, I'd recommend picking up two of each figure in case you get a bum one. You can always unload the duplicate on Evilbay for about what you paid.

Supposedly their website is running a Black Friday sale with lots of left-over stock. You might want to check into that. For picking up older figures, hit up the forums, BBTS, or Evilbay. You can get most right around the original price (e.g. $30 including shipping).

For news and reviews, check out he-man.org or poeghostal.com .
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Yeah, this line is actually pretty kick-ass. I've
> got a MotUC Zodac (did I get that from Gcrush??)

Maybe. I know I definitely sold you a Hordak...
Sanjeev (Admin)
gingaio Wrote:
> ...It sort of kills me that Battle Armor
> Lenny doesn't have the chest tumbler action of the
> vintage...

That's fucking tragic.

Gcrush Wrote:
> Aside from the hit-or-miss QC...

Is that right? I've handled a little over half a dozen of these figures now, and I've yet to encounter a bum fig. Granted, the Roboto deal sounds kinda shitty (this is the first I've heard of it)...

> Maybe. I know I definitely sold you a Hordak...

Yup...now that I recall, it was both Zodac and Hordak. I may end up flipping the Hordak because of the lack of nostalgia I have for him, but Zodac stays on the desk!
Well, I managed to pick up both Mer-Man and the second release of Skeletor (supposedly a few minor improvements in the figure, including a better left hand), both for under $18 each, plus shipping of course.

If the rest of the figs are anywhere near as nice as the TRU He-Man, then I'll be satisfied with the prices. As I said, the nostalgia factor will limit this line for me, though if a few of the other ones seem pretty neat looking, I might grab them. Carnivus and Optikk come to mind here.

More serious than thou
cae
why the hell wasn't I told about the reissue Scare Glow?

You people suck.

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
cae Wrote:
> why the hell wasn't I told about the reissue Scare
> Glow?
>
>
> You people suck.

Sorry, my bad. I thought you were waiting for the reissue of Fisto?
Sanjeev (Admin)
Alas, it's not a reissue. :/ THAT would be awesome!

The new "Scareglow" (no space) is nice, though. Just lacks the simian charm of the original figures' anatomy.
H-man Wrote:
> cae Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > why the hell wasn't I told about the reissue
> Scare
> > Glow?
> >
> >
> > You people suck.
>
> Sorry, my bad. I thought you were waiting for the
> reissue of Fisto?

Hahaha! Yeah, can't imagine Fisto is high on the list of toys to reissue...

More serious than thou
cae
> Alas, it's not a reissue.

That's hokay, it would look great next to my vintage Scar Egl Ow

hassenpfeffer
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Gcrush Wrote:
> -----
> > Aside from the hit-or-miss QC...
>
> Is that right? I've handled a little over half a
> dozen of these figures now, and I've yet to
> encounter a bum fig. Granted, the Roboto deal
> sounds kinda shitty (this is the first I've heard
> of it)...
>
Luck of the draw. Of the 25 or so figs I've bought, about 4-5 have suffered from irreparable QC damage (stuck joints, mostly; I know how to unfreeze joints, but these were just...melded together, it seems). About half suffer from overly loose joints, but these are fixable. Given that these are about $25-30 a pop, that's still a pretty fucking miserable fail rate.

Sanjeev Wrote:
> gingaio Wrote:
> -----
> > ...It sort of kills me that Battle Armor
> > Lenny doesn't have the chest tumbler action of
> the
> > vintage...
>
> That's fucking tragic.
>
My older brother came over a couple of weeks ago when I still had the figs out on the shelf. He picked up Battle Armor Lenny and tried to work the waist action, thinking it would spring back and forth like on the vintage figs.

"Uh, these don't work that way. These aren't the vintage toys."

He started flicking the chest, hoping to activate the slot reel.

He squeezed the hips, hoping something would happen.

He looked at me with sad eyes and said, "Man."

MAN!

I died a little inside.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2010 01:15AM by gingaio.
I have been resisting the MOTUC, but knowing that the classic action features aren't there, like the spinning piece in the battle armor, makes it a lot easier. Kind of reminds me of transformers that don't transform...sad really...
Funny about that, I've never liked gimmicks on toys like that. Can't stand electronic sounds and lights on my Transformers, never liked spring action punching action or anything like that. Any of these tend to ruin the essential function of the toy. Every now and then, someone engineers a like toy so that the gimmick doesn't interfere, but it's usually not the case. Battery compartments create large immovable sections, "quick draw" arms mean you can't pose the figure in any way you choose, same for springy waists. No thank you.

Now, in the case of battle armor He-Man, the gimmick didn't get in the way of the toy, so it would have been nice to see that included here. That is sort of like having a Tri-clops that can't twist his visor around, or a Man-E-Faces that requires swapping heads under his helmet to get different faces involved. Hope we don't see that sort of thing.

More serious than thou
Another thing, anyone ever bought off of Mattycollector.com? When the toys go on sale, is there a standard time of day that the sales start at? Someone mentioned 11:00 am EST. I'd love to know, as I have a hankering for Buzz Off in December...

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yup...I ordered about 4 (or was it 5? :P ) Scare Glows [sorry--Scareglows] the moment they went live on the site. The site didn't break down or even run slow. Guess he just wasn't that popular! Corey, if you want one of my spares, PM me!

Anyway, I've always found the gimmicks hit or miss on the old figures. I kinda half agree and half disagree with you, fujikuro: I generally hate electronic sounds because that's what your fucking imagination is for...but lights are sometimes nice...but only for, like, a minute...before they get boring. But the spring-loaded waists were great simply because they were funny and fun. And other gimmicks are just fucking clutch. Like, Webstor without the stringy backpack is crap.

Articulation, for me, has always been secondary (obviously, you can tell that from my anti-Revoltech ranting). But I think we can all agree that a "Soul of MotU" line would probably involve the MotUC sculpts and articulation, plus the classic gimmicks.
fujikuro: I don't like action features myself, but with MOTU they just seem natural. To me the action features of the line kind of seemed like the point, especially since so many of the figures incorporate their action feature into their name...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Yup...I ordered about 4 (or was it 5? :P ) Scare
> Glows Scareglows] the moment they went live on the
> site. The site didn't break down or even run slow.
> Guess he just wasn't that popular! Corey, if you
> want one of my spares, PM me!
>
> Anyway, I've always found the gimmicks hit or miss
> on the old figures. I kinda half agree and half
> disagree with you, fujikuro: I generally hate
> electronic sounds because that's what your fucking
> imagination is for...but lights are sometimes
> nice...but only for, like, a minute...before they
> get boring. But the spring-loaded waists were
> great simply because they were funny and fun. And
> other gimmicks are just fucking clutch. Like,
> Webstor without the stringy backpack is crap.
>
> Articulation, for me, has always been secondary
> (obviously, you can tell that from my
> anti-Revoltech ranting). But I think we can all
> agree that a "Soul of MotU" line would probably
> involve the MotUC sculpts and articulation, plus
> the classic gimmicks.

Well, this is likely as close to Soul of MotU as we're going to ever get. There are gimmicks and then there are gimmicks. Springy waist - hate it. Springy arms, hate it. Springing legs for Ram-Man? Have to have it! It's not Ram-Man otherwise. Rotating faces for Man-E-Faces? Got to have it! Again, I want my action figure to function fully as an action figure. Otherwise, as long as the gimmick doesn't defeat that purpose I'm great with it. Tap-Jaw is a perfect example.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
I hear you.

I'm REALLY looking forward to a Mekaneck with some sort of auto-extending function (doesn't necessarily have to be twisting the waist).
Just pulled out some of my old Sectaurs figures, and the nice thing is that these Classics figures are dead on for the same scale. Need to try putting He-Man on one of the puppet beetle riding beasts to see if he'll fit. Anyway, they'll look great together on a shelf.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Mmm...Sectaurs. Great line.

Too bad no elbow joints...but otherwise the figures and weapons (with their soft PVC harnesses) were amazing. I was always a little meh on the puppet ride-insects, though...even as a kid, that seemed MAD cheesey for me. Still...a creative gimmick. Leave it to the 80's to come up with some shit like that!
And it had one of the largest playsets ever, too! I kind of wonder about Vince's assertion that only in the 80's could you see so many playsets due to the economics. I just looked through a TRU catalog, and there are TONS of playsets for girls' toys. Not so for boys. I don't think it's a matter of money so much as perhaps "playsets" = girly, and we're a very macho culture now.

Yes, I like rambling conversations.

More serious than thou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2010 12:32PM by fujikuro.
cae
>[Scareglows] if you want one of my spares, PM me!

Hah! You enabler you ... Just realized we're talking about at least $20 for an action figure and my better nature got he best of me.

Thanks for the offer, though!

hassenpfeffer
Corey, just send Sanjeev the $30 and have him send the action figure to me. I promise I will take good care of it for you.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Gcrush Wrote:
> ...I promise I will take
> good care of it for you.

"it" is a him, thank you very much.

I checked under his furry skivvies for glow nuts.

These, right?

More serious than thou

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2010 02:30PM by fujikuro.
Attachments:
open | download - images.jpg (14.8 KB)
fujikuro Wrote:
> And it had one of the largest playsets ever, too!

I just looked through a TRU
> catalog, and there are TONS of playsets for girls'
> toys. Not so for boys.

Wha??!! NUH-UH! You need to go back to an actual TRU/Target/Wallywhirled/etc. and take another look! NEVER have I been knocked over by how many flippity-flippin' gimmick filled playsets there are as the last couple times I was in a TRU. I've been caught sheepishly pushing buttons, and levers on the "TRy ME" parts in the packages.
Awesome stuff that would've been exactly what I wanted as a kid. The Imaginext stuff, Batcaves galore, Castles a'plenty, diecast car playsets, Playmobil stuff is the roof with cool stuff lately(seen the pyramids and Ramses throne room etc.?) , random superhero, and spacetoy stuffs. And even from the ol' Scheich? (giant PVC castles) Could fill a huge playroom with stuff for Armored Leapin Lenney to hang out in!

**Although, that puppet bug monster built into the Hyve playset is hard to match, agreed.**

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2010 09:05PM by repairtechjon.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Damn...I have yet to eat Hal Jordan's balls!

There are definitely some playsets geared towards boys on the market, but there don't seem to be many that are tied to toylines that are primarily action figure-based. There's a Mega Bloks Iron Man playset for their minifigs, but I'm trying to think of other lines that are straight up *action figure* lines...where the playset is just an accessory...
Well, having received my Skeletor, Mer-Man, and Trap-Jaw, I am really impressed. The Skeletor is particularly nice. They really captured the feel of the original toy while updating small details that do not in any way take away from the toy. I would guess that many people would not even realize they were looking at a modern toy at first glance at these. The Four Horsemen certainly seem to "get" the original designs. I'd love to see them do mildly updated vehicles for this line as well.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Unfortunately, I just don't see them doing any of the vehicles ever. I'm sure the line is doing okay...for the scale they're shooting for right now (which likely isn't big).

But now that you mention it, I think what would have been ideal is if they had just shrunk down the buck to be in-scale with the vintage figures. That way, you'd get all the play value they have now, BUT you'd also be able to fit the new guys on the old vehicles (and, of course, play with the figures interchangeably).
Well, when I see the figures compared in video reviews, it doesn't really look like the scale is that far off. The figures stand taller, all right, but their legs aren't bent ludicrously. When you bend the legs similarly, I think the toys are generally about the same size. I could be wrong, of course, not having any old MOTU figures to compare to directly.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Hmm...it's been a while since I've had my MotU Scare Glow next to my MotUC Scareglow on the shelf, but I definitely remember the newer figure being pretty significantly taller (granted, not crouched in the classic simian stance!). I'll check 'em out tonight...but I'm not hopeful. Remember: even if the MotUC's are just a tiny bit bigger, they'll likely be too big to fit into the vehicles' saddles...
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Unfortunately, I just don't see them doing any of
> the vehicles ever.

There was some Q&S session on the net where they said a vehicle will be coming in 2011.

The 4H also showed an updated battle-ram thingy at SDCC. Mattel said it was unsolicited, so who knows what the "vehicle" will be. The safe money says Mattel is going to milk MOTUC for all it's worth. If they can make a buck off of vehicles you can bet we'll see them.

On a side note - did anyone pick up Battle Cat? That thing is phenomenal in all respects. And it had the absolute best cost-to-value ration of anything they released so far; $20 for a regular figure sucks, but $30 for BC was a steal. Crazy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer