Do superhero toys really suck?

Posted by Gcrush 
Sanjeev (Admin)
Well, uh, that Batarang design looks *exceedingly* simple...

If you wanted, you could have one of us CAD-monkeys cobble one together for ya...then you could print out your own in a suitably tough material. Prolly won't cost THAT much...but you'd have to paint it yourself, obviously, and no fancy-shmancy stand.

As for last night, not much you can do when Lebron's playing OUT OF HIS MIND...while your own starters are putting up lackluster numbers. I don't have much hope for tomorrow night as Stern wants a Heat-Thunder/Lebron-Durant finals. Why wouldn't he? Either way, the officials won't be kind...
Supersentai Wrote:
>
> Who would ever be a closet millionaire? On the
> day my bank account odometer reaches seven d's
> it'll be a thread in EVERY page I haunt. Heck,
> I'll just pay some dude to post it randomly until

Hahaha, awesome. You wouldn't just IMPLY it, by posting pics of all your new gold-plated robot stuff?

-Paul Segal

"Oh, the anger is never far, never far." -SteveH
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't have much hope for tomorrow night as Stern
> wants a Heat-Thunder/Lebron-Durant finals. Why
> wouldn't he? Either way, the officials won't be
> kind...

Hey, man, at least Stern didn't, in a totally whack and unprecedented move, nullify a done-deal trade that would have given your team a shot at some titles in the immediate future.
asterphage Wrote:

"Hahaha, awesome. You wouldn't just IMPLY it, by posting pics of all your new gold-plated robot stuff?"

Hey, I'm a man of simple disposable needs...all I want is my gold plated mansion, and my gold plated rocket car.

Oh, my NEW Solid Gold 60-inch tall transforming Mighty Orbots toy? Where did I get it? Oh, it's not so much as they don't SELL them, as much as they don't sell them to people like YOUUUUU. Of course, I don't mean that in any offensive way at all, I would still need all of you little people to appreciate my stuff.

Now I'm going to drive off back into dreamland in my new Aston Martin Rapide...vrroooom!
Sanjeev (Admin)
I'm telling you, I can CAD-model that Batarang for you in 15 minutes...then you can print one up for under $100 and paint the fucking thing how ever you like...

Anyway, more info on the NECA glowbocop...including better pics!

Want.
Saw him at the TRU near me today....
Interestingly, this thread on IMDb says that the filmmakers were originally making a Judge Dredd movie but that didn't work out so they made Robocop which even retained quotes directly from the comics:

[www.imdb.com]

Early Robocop concept:

Judge Dredd quote:

Robocop quote:
[www.youtube.com]

--------------------------
I want YOU for MoƩ Sucks Army

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 12:56PM by Scopedog.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Wild.

Well, at least the new Dredd movie looks like it follows the comic more closely. Like, he never takes his fucking helmet off.
Dr. McCoy and Dredd are kinda alike.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I see him more like this guy...with a cooler helmet:

Looking through the upcoming Comic-Con exclusives and I see Hasbro will be offering a Marvel "Masters of Evil" 3-pack with a translucent Radioactive Man, Baron Zemo and TIGER SHARK... can this be the first time Tiger Shark has been immortalized in action figure form?
mcfitch (Admin)
Hey Harv,

[www.hasbro.com]

Sorry that looks to be all.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Does little static squat dudes don't count! ;-P

That reminds me... I know you can buy them individually here or there, but a Wrecking Crew action figure set would totally rock in a WTF? kind of way... sort of like if they released a Guardians of the Galaxy set with Rocket Raccoon...oh wait.
Superhero toys REALLY suck when they fight their own clone/twin/bestbuddy in a crappy floppy wrasslin' wring, with flippy-floppy-flipper feet.

May the best BAT win:
[www.ebay.com]
I believe they released all of the Wrecking Crew in the Secret Wars 2 packs, from a couple years ago.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev Wrote:
>
> Anyway, more info on the NECA
> glowbocop...including better pics!
>
> Want.

Saw this at TRU. The non-glowey top picture does not quite illustrate how bad the toy looks in person. It's like a zombie Robocop gone horribly wrong. Best to find the original version instead, methinks.

Best, Ken-A
BTW....the NEW Captain America/Captain Action uni does indeed fit the reissue!

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Ken-A Wrote:
> Saw this at TRU. The non-glowey top picture does
> not quite illustrate how bad the toy looks in
> person. It's like a zombie Robocop gone horribly
> wrong. Best to find the original version instead,
> methinks.

The original Globocop? Have it. Love it.

But either way...sadness. Still, I must have it.
Stoopid plasticy wonder-dudes won't suck so much if you display them with onomatopeias. BAM! POW! BOFF!
Git some: [sites.google.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
AWESOME.

I just wish I had some toys that these would go well with. Guess I'll have to start getting some Mego's...

Unless...sofubi kaiju...??? ;)
mcfitch (Admin)
Those Mego onomatopeias are incredible!
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
A lot of new expenses coming up, including a 1/1-scale diecast car, so I'm really, really trying to pare down unnecessary luxury buys, but as a Jim Lee Batman fan, damn if I ain't tempted.

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]
Hey, I'll sell you my "1/1 scale diecast car"...otherwise known as MY CAR.

What kind of car you looking at? Used cars, about a year or two old, were a great deal a couple years ago, but aren't as good a deal as they were with used car demand going up so much.

I still laugh when I see the Mego Batman and Robin with their oversized oven mitts of justice...like they have to take a turkey out of the oven between punches or something.

Yeah...
Just considering new cars right now. The mid-life crisis part of me wants a 1/1-scale V6 Mustang. The visually impaired side of me wants a 1/1-scale AWD Juke, which my brother is presently trying to talk me out of considering given that it's....a Juke.

Anyway, what's the deal with Batman Jim Lee toys lately?

[www.bigbadtoystore.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2012 02:58AM by gingaio.
Sanjeev (Admin)
A Juke? Ouch. Listen to your brother. A 'stang? Not bad. How about a Volt? They were just named at the top of the list in customer satisfaction...pricey as hell...but rocking the latest tech has a certain allure...

But speaking of the Play Imaginative Batman, I just caught this:
[www.youtube.com]
Huh. Not really convinced by the video. The concept of a two-pound diecast Batman is weird to me, and not a good weird. The Medicom version looks much better, but I've had bad experiences with Medicom figs snapping.

The Mustang's the top choice at the moment--I like the bare bones, no-frills quality. It's relatively cheap and HP-wise, there's a lot of value for the cost. For a while, I was considering the Genesis coupe and the BRZ, but the BRZ's basically a two-seater, and the fake hood vents on the Genesis are atrocious (and the overall design's pretty bland).

The Volt is out of my price range, but even if I had 40K to sling around, I'd probably just buy a BMW 328i coupe and yuppy up myself. Can't argue with the classics.
gingaio
Huh. Not really convinced by the video. The concept of a two-pound diecast Batman is weird to me, and not a good weird. The Medicom version looks much better, but I've had bad experiences with Medicom figs snapping.

Just think of it as a updated throwback to the diecast Mego Batman figure from all those years ago.... yeah that's it.
I was tempted by a pretty 2007 'Stang a few years back, quite a deal, but turns out they're crappy in Winter...and we have Winter here. Still give myself a slight pony-kick in the rear when I think about it...could have just sucked it up and loaded the rear with bags of rock salt.

It only hurts a little still...
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...throwback to the Mego's a bit of a stretch, Harv! But whatever works--if you dig it, you dig it.

I'm not really feeling it, myself. The floppiness of certain joints (elbows, torso) is especially distressing. And the pricetag. If it were smaller/cheaper and designed more for play than just display (like the recent 8"-ish diecast Iron Man that Chinese company recently did), I'd probably be more interested...
What 8 inchish diecast Iron Man that a Chinese Company recently did?!?
NECA's leg-holster RoboCop looks kind of cool. That review says that some parts other than the leg look remolded, too. Anyone seen this in person?
Sanjeev (Admin)
H-man
What 8 inchish diecast Iron Man that a Chinese Company recently did?!?

Damn you for making me look that up! But I found it...
[www.1999.co.jp]

Maybe it's a Japanese company..."Genpachi Shoji"?

Anyway, I think I need that holster Robert Cop. And part of me still wants the glowie...!
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yeah, so...this:
[www.youtube.com]
Sanjeev
Yeah, so...this:
[www.youtube.com]

They'd better put that technology to use for the minis from that new Godzilla game.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Only if it works on a non-Apple tablet! :P
Okay... I have to say this. Those new Marvel "Titan Series" line of action figures (stiff, 12 inch, ABS, limited articulation) may be the most pointless line of super hero figures Hasbro has ever put out. True definition of SUCK.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Don't really do anything, do they? I remember for the first Iron Man movies, they put out similarly huge all-ABS figures with limited articulation...but they fired missiles and had lights/sounds and maybe even motion-activated gimmicks. And for not much more than these new ones.

Eh well...they must be going after REAL young'uns, I guess...
Oh snap....

Figma Avengers figures:

[www.collectiondx.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2013 01:05PM by H-man.
Sanjeev
Don't really do anything, do they?
I think it's more about what they don't do. Like they don't break when you club your younger siblings with them.

Five points of articulation, 12 inches tall, big and clunky, very awesome. Star Wars is getting them, too:

[www.rebelscum.com]

[www.rebelscum.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yup--their simplicity and durability is what made me dig the earlier Iron Man ones. And I'm sure durability is the key feature for parents looking for something to satisfy their young'uns. But that "Titan Hero" line looks pretty damn bare...

But it looks like *in addition*, Hasbro's bringing back the earlier gimmicky Iron Man ones:
[www.comicbookmovie.com]

I prefer those because they're super-durable, look great (glossy, metallic paint), and obviously feature goofy, noisy gimmicks!

Edit: just checked out those Figma's...very nice, but Cap's boobs are a bit troubling to me!

:P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2013 05:18PM by Sanjeev.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer