Do superhero toys really suck?

Posted by Gcrush 
Sanjeev (Admin)
I was trying to find the bit where he was going on about how he wanted to be called "Super Volt", but Superman put the kibosh on it. Settle for this...
mcfitch (Admin)
The super volt bit is from Harvey Bidman: Attorney at Law.
-Mason

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
Sanjeev Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was trying to find the bit where he was going on
> about how he wanted to be called "Super Volt", but
> Superman put the kibosh on it. Settle for this...

You mean that's not your fisrt name?
Gcrush Wrote:
> While rifling through a dumpster at Wal-Mart for
> second breakfast, I finally found JEMM.
>
Here's what I found in my dumpster. Always loved his phasing power. Kitty Pryde has the phasing power, but she's not a red-faced whatever:

I've found that the build quality of the MU figs is inversely proportional to their degree of fun. Crappy = good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 05:51PM by gingaio.
Attachments:
open | download - Vision.jpg (76.8 KB)
open | download - Wolverine Sabertooth.jpg (95.4 KB)
open | download - Wolvie Hulk 1.jpg (81.7 KB)
open | download - Wolvie Hulk 2.jpg (71 KB)
Is that Viz MU 3" or ML 6" I love the character, but have never bothered to get a figure of him in any scale. Doesn't help that the character's been ruined and meaningless for like 6 years now.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
It's the 3", and it looks way better than the 6", IMO. Probably my favorite of the MU figs, as far as design/execution, even if it is just a reuse of the Daredevil body (and consequently, too small).
gingaio Wrote:
> It's the 3", and it looks way better than the 6",
> IMO. Probably my favorite of the MU figs, as far
> as design/execution, even if it is just a reuse of
> the Daredevil body (and consequently, too small).

Thanks. The current Vision is leaner and smaller, like a teenager, so I suppose that works.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Whu-huh? How did I miss the Sentinel pic last page? Perfessir, now that I see how awesome those MU figs go with that, I want it back! :0p

And I can't believe how you goofs go for the muscle-y figs, since obviously ToyMan is the bestest! I mean, who gave Combattler his spiky yo-yo?

To date, I haven't picked up any of the little MU figs, so you guys better stop putting tempting pics up. Seems like those toys would work great to put into vehicle toys that other figure toys are too non-jointy to fit into the driver seats?
repairtechjon Wrote:
> And I can't believe how you goofs go for the
> muscle-y figs, since obviously ToyMan is the
> bestest!

I had to go back and look at the pic again to get what you were talking about. I'll tell you, the lanky parts that make Toyman so awesomely goofy are also at work with Jemm. It looks like the have the same stretched out lower body, but Jemm adds a ridiculously broad chest and ropey arms to the mix. If they'd have given him a pinched head like TM it would have imploded my eyeballs from excessively glorious doofery.

Seriously, Jemm is so awful it's great. Except for the price. Fuck that noise.

> To date, I haven't picked up any of the little MU
> figs, so you guys better stop putting tempting
> pics up. Seems like those toys would work great to
> put into vehicle toys that other figure toys are
> too non-jointy to fit into the driver seats?

Some of the MU figures look poseable, but aren't. The early ones were so bad I lost interest right away. But if you have an old Mego Spidey Car lying around you might be able to squish a few doods in there...
It just occurred to me that while I like the absurdity of the DCUC figures because they remind me of the vintage Super Powers toys, I have never read a DC comic. Like, ever. But I don't need to. Just look at Mr. Freeze here. How can you not love something so irresponsibly garish? I defy you.

I will confess to reading Marvel rags when I was in elementary school. But none of the contemporary Marvel figures have really captured the simplicity and charm of a vintage update for me. Maybe there weren't any cool vintage Marvel toys. My brother had some Secret Wars doods. They were okay. I guess. But the modern stuff seems too disconnected from that aesthetic to charm me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 11:33PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - Mr Frooze.jpg (119.8 KB)
Oh, yeah. Here's the vintage one for comparison.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2011 11:34PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - Mr Freeze.JPG (98.3 KB)
Sanjeev (Admin)
The Super Powers DC toys and the Secret Wars Marvel toys were the fucking BEST.

Or...they sucked and I'm just looking at things through rosy-colored lenses of nostalgia...

LENTICULAR SHIELDS, DAMNIT.
Sanjeev Wrote:
> The Super Powers DC toys and the Secret Wars
> Marvel toys were the fucking BEST.
>
Well, I'm half with you there, man. The Super Powers are for me still the benchmark of superhero toys. Unfortunately, I've always been a Marvel guy, and despite that, the Secret Wars figs kind of sucked (I lusted after the Iron Man as a kid, but that's mostly because of my love for the character). Had I more than a passing regard for those DC characters, my plastic nerd tubs would be full of vintage Super Powers figs and that'd be it as far as superhero toys.

Where I differ from Mr. Crush would be that while the Super Powers figs hit the perfect balance of cartoony and detail, the modern uber-detailed-, hyper-machismo-styled figs just don't seem to fit the DC characters (and yes, I know how paradoxical that sounds). That Mr. Freeze is a resculpt of the Horsemen's Mr. Freeze from some years back, and barring the vintage colors, which are cool, the mold just seems a bit too...much. I mean, the Horsemen's work is well suited for the gritty sword & sorcery MOTUC line, but for brightly colored spandexed cartoony characters...I don't know.

I think that's why I prefer the Marvel 3" to the 6" line--there's a less obsessive focus on the detailing/musculature. The figs are more simply designed, but accurate and well proportioned. Granted, the faces of the female figs look like those of roided-up trannies, but nothing's perfect.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 06:40PM by gingaio.
Man, those classic Secret Wars were my thing. I loved Cap (still do) but there were never any figures of him while I was growing up When I saw a kid running around the playground with the Captain America figure, I had to find it. The Super Powers stuff came out a year or 2 later and by that time I was 12-13, so too old for toys in my parents eyes. I remember sneaking into my parent's "Xmas hiding spot" (it was the same every year), and was stoked to see some of the Super Powers figs, only to find out Xmas day that they were for my younger bro.

---------------------------------
[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
hillsy Wrote:
> ...was
> stoked to see some of the Super Powers figs, only
> to find out Xmas day that they were for my younger
> bro.

That's fucking tragic, man. I hope you give your folks shit for that now! ;)

When I was a kid, I thought the DC Super Power toys were better (one kid I knew had a bunch)...but none of us really liked DC (only one kid!). Hence, my love for the Secret Wars series is likely more about the characters than the actual quality of the toys.
Marvel Legends are the best their size is perfect and incredible detail.

The 3" marvel line is second best only because of size, but they have grown on me quickly because my star wars figs can finally fight side by side without feeling like ewoks next to them.

To answer the thread question: No superhero toys do not suck, they are better in every way to the Secret Wars Marvel line, Super Power DC, or any of the older lines. But this doesn't mean the older lines sucked it just means the new lines are little more awesome than the older lines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2011 09:16PM by Giantbluerobot.
Super Powers is probably the best action figure line to ever come out. They pretty much are the benchmark for figures that have a balance of great sculpting and fun. I can't think of a better action figure line past or present with that type of balance. There are maybe 15 figures from that line ago that are arguably the best toy of that figure made. (Orion totally sucked!) They are in equivalent in the US to what the Takatoku valkyries are in Japan. I read even people who worked for DC wanted to collect these.

The toys were much more superior than Secret Wars. Too bad I was only a Marvel reader and did not care too much for them when they came out. Had most of the Secret Wars toys including Doctor Doom in that ridiculous armor. Really loved that Spiderman toy with the crappy secret shield. Played with it till much of the webs and the back design rubbed off. The crappy shields probably had a lot to do with what characters were made. No Thor? We got Kang. No Hulk? We got Baron Zemo.

I wonder if Hasbro got their hands on the DC license would we see new Super Powers toys done up like Star Wars or GI Joe in retro packaging. Would love to see that. I tried collecting carded SP figures years ago. Couldn't find anything on ebay in good condition and without a yellowing bubble. I wonder why that was with these carded figs. Anyone know?

I did find that Rom the Spacknight toy. Who didn't love that piece of junk. "An advanced electronic toy from Parker Brothers" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2011 06:46AM by gaiking123.
Sanjeev (Admin)
Would you say that this was an "accurate" depiction of Mjolnir?

Yeah, he was always a skinny lil' dude. Why do you ask?

Oh, and he totally plays Centipede arcade game, with the trackball embedded in der hammer, in all the comics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2011 06:52PM by repairtechjon.
mcfitch (Admin)
Sanjeev Wrote:
> Would you say that this was an "accurate"
> depiction of Mjolnir?
>
> [www.bigbadtoystore.com]
> large/HAS20001.jpg

This just makes me angry.
-Mason

Matthewalt "I actually kinda LIKE that approach! You know: let's make a TOY. Remember those? Products designed to be played with without breaking? DO YOU REMEMBER, LOVE?!"
WTF....is that the movie version?

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Yup...so is this:

But to be fair, so are these:

(light-up Mjolnir!)
My favorite Ass Guardian is always thor. Maybe ith becauthe my hammer ith tho big.
Those are terrible. That said, I won't condemn the movie because of the toys. They add all sorts of non-movie crap into the toy line...they did it with Iron Man, and they'll do it with Cap and Thor, as well.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
I dunno...I think the one with the He-Man sword's pretty good...just throw out the sword. Not that I really collect 3-3/4" super hero figures...

If I were to get a Thor figure, it'd be some dope silver age shit.
A Mjolnir Hammer toy by itself would be cool. What young impressionable child did not want a Thor hammer to bang and throw around? Please tell me Hasbro will be producing this also!
H-man Wrote:
> A Mjolnir Hammer toy by itself would be cool. What
> young impressionable child did not want a Thor
> hammer to bang and throw around? Please tell me
> Hasbro will be producing this also!

Seems like they will making a Mjolnir in at least two different flavors....the lame lights and sound version and this one made of nerf...
Attachments:
open | download - DSC04041.JPG (119.6 KB)
mcfitch (Admin)
Fuck! I'd love a Nerf Mjolnir. Then again I am a huge Thor fan. How awesome would it be to be able to actually bonk people with a hammer who needed it but not go to jail on manslaughter charges?
-Mason

Sanjeev (Admin)
A-fucking-men. Lights and sounds could be kinda nice for novelty's sake...but nothing can top a Mjolnir you can actually hum at someone's fucking head.
Nerf Thor Hammer? That is so going on my desk at work...
mcfitch (Admin)
Based on the last 2 posts I'd say they're onto something with this Nerf idea. hey, remember what a big hit Hulk hands were?
-Mason

Sanjeev (Admin)
The Hulk hands were the fucking shit. And incidentally, have you guys seen the recent-ish Nerf foam weapons? They're, like, adult-sized...and you can really bash the shit outta each other with them!

Every time I go to TRU with my buddies, we grab those things and have at it. Suppose we could just...buy them...
I knew that was you...

Dufuses:
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2011 07:12PM by repairtechjon.
I'll need a Nerf Cap shield to deflect your Nerf Thor hammer.

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Looks like the Thor stuff are out, including the "Lightning" Hammer, no sign of the Nerf Hammer yet though...
I don't really care about Thor, but the Nerf-ish hammer is totally at the local Target store here.

-Ginrai
Golden Gate Riot on dead trees at: [www.destroyallcomics.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
What the fuck...is "Mjolnir" Scandinavian for "date rape" or something??? I'm finding it kinda annoying that it's not written ANYWHERE.

Not even the fucking explicit toy of the thing:

Cuz it would better like THIS?? ;)

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Though doesn't it need a strap so you can twirl it above your head to open interdimensional doors 'n shit?

[pgaijin.blogspot.com]
Sanjeev (Admin)
Haha...I meant that the Nerf Mjolnir isn't even called "Mjolnir". Just "Thor Hammer". Boo.

But now that ya mention the inscription, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to get a vinyl decal of that to slap on the side of this thing. And don't worry about the strap--I've got the electrical tape ready! ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer