Sym-Bionic Titan

Posted by Jerilock 
So guys, who caught the premier episode of this? what did you think? The Gattai sequence was pretty sweet. hopefully this'll last longer than Megas XLR did.
Caught the second half this evening... had serious potential. I already want a clear sofubi.

Introducing Prometheus Rising Studio.
[prometheusrising.net]
I make 3D printed mecha action figures.
Crap. I missed it. When is it on and will the first episode repeat again?

*Better check the Cartoon Network schedule....*
I missed it too. I'll give it a shot even though I'm not a fan of the faux anime style. The robot looks neat at least.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I asked if I have "Time For L-Gaim" but I got "No Reply From The Wind".
Liked it, but thought it spread on the parody a bit thick. Also, what I liked most about Samurai Jack and the Tartakovsky Star Wars shorts were that they were nearly silent films: they used the animation to great effect in telling stories. This episode seemed full of gratuitous exposition, even for a premiere. Still, I'll tune in again.

Prometheum5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Caught the second half this evening... had serious
> potential. I already want a clear sofubi.

Get a Nekosaur! ;)

Best, Ken-A
It didn't wow me, but Samurai Jack took a while to fully draw me in, so I'll def give it a few tries. Plus, I have a weird bias against robots without military-style cockpits.

What I really did like was the tokusatsu shadow organization - scarves even - nice touch. I'd watch that show.
I caught an episode of it, and so far I'm liking it. I'm really digging the robot designs, and the combonation sequence reminds a lot of Godannar.

------------------------------------------------
"Ranchero music is the Mexican form of psychological warfare. Eventually it will break us and we will give them back California, anything to stop those cursed accordions."

-Chirico Cuvie
I looked at a trailer. I felt that the design and animation were completely bland and I lost all interest.
Caught the last few minutes of what I assume was the first episode. I like the robot designs (interesting and mildly Japanese inspired), but the character designs are that rancid overly stylized crap that's been way overdone in western animation for the past decade.

Sanjeev (Admin)
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> ...but
> the character designs are that rancid overly
> stylized crap that's been way overdone in western
> animation for the past decade.

Haha...this coming from the moe fan! :P

Well, I caught the same thing last night. Was aiight. I'd watch it again.
>> ...but
>> the character designs are that rancid overly
>> stylized crap that's been way overdone in western
>> animation for the past decade.

>Haha...this coming from the moe fan! :P

Well......the difference is at anime designs still look human (even if things like hair color are nonnatural colors). Western animation makes people look like geometric shapes. My theory is that style got popular because of Bruce Tim (even though I love Batman the Animated series). Before that, western animation had more realistic designs (look at the way people are drawn in the original G1 Transformers or GI Joe compare to today).

Vincent Z. Wrote:

> Before that, western animation had more realistic designs

cae
> My theory is that style got popular because of Bruce Tim

As a person who seems interested in animation, you sure are ignorant. Abstract/geometric designs for humans were present in the western animating world well before Bruce Tim was even born (1961!).

I did a casual google search and found just one example out of hundreds that features NUMEROUS designs to illustrate my point: [cartoonmodern.blogsome.com]

Educate yerself, ya goon.

Bruce Tim! sheesh.

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Er, I should have said that I just plain don't like American character designs for most shows these days.

Ironically, Flintstones turned 50 today.

cae
=D

---------------------------------
hassenpfeffer
Sanjeev (Admin)
Vincent Z. Wrote:
> Er, I should have said that I just plain don't
> like American character designs for most shows
> these days.

I was hoping you were just going to come out and say this.

To try to argue that "the difference is [th]at anime designs still look human [compared to western cartoon designs]" is asinine. Even for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 12:04PM by Sanjeev.
Attachments:
open | download - images.jpg (12.4 KB)
Er, fine. You know I'm wapanese.

Vincent Z. Wrote:
> Er, fine. You know I'm wapanese.

Naw, man. You're just the last samurai is all.

Anyway, the first thing this reminded me of:

Was this:

To which I say, "Awesome."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 10:36PM by Gcrush.
Attachments:
open | download - sym-bionic-titan-20100720062145445_640w.jpg (54.7 KB)
open | download - images.jpg (9.5 KB)
Okay, I like what I'm seeing so far... so when do we get the toys?!?
MattAlt (Admin)
Wide belts and numbered T-shirts are a look that NEVER goes out of style.
I know his name is Lance, but looking at his character traits, he seems more like a Keith to me :-p... I still think the singular most awesome fact about this show is that Tartakovsky came up with it after watching a Godzilla flick with his kid one day.
The show was created by the creator of Dexter's Lab. I've just seen the 2nd episode and it surprised me that it has a definite old Japanese rhythm but it had some adultness to it that I really was surprised to see.
Unfortunately, it looks like this show has been canceled for "lack of toys" associated with it. I would have thought that would be one of the first things they would want to try to do was establish a marketing base with it. But none of that ever appeared to my knowledge. I wonder why. Anyway, big bummer, as this was my favorite current thing to watch.

More serious than thou
Yeah too bad... at one hand, it's a stupid reason to cancel a show (assuming ratings were decent) because a show,even a cartoon, should ideally stand on it's own without needing licensing/merchandising/toys etc... (yeah, I know, who are we kidding?). But on the other hand, it did suck that it never spawned cool toys that I would have LOVED. I was kind of waiting for some sort of toys to be announced in this past Toy Fair but now we know why...
fujikuro Wrote:
> Unfortunately, it looks like this show has been
> canceled...

I figured this was going to happen since the network kept shuffling the show's time slot around. That's never a good sign. And it really looked like it was going to start lurching out into new directions, too. It's be nice if they did a proper send-off episode, but there's not much chance of that happening...
H-man Wrote:
> Yeah too bad... at one hand, it's a stupid reason
> to cancel a show (assuming ratings were decent)
> because a show,even a cartoon, should ideally
> stand on it's own without needing
> licensing/merchandising/toys etc... (yeah, I know,
> who are we kidding?). But on the other hand, it
> did suck that it never spawned cool toys that I
> would have LOVED. I was kind of waiting for some
> sort of toys to be announced in this past Toy Fair
> but now we know why...

Well, that's the issue there. Catch 22 - show can't get toys because it's not popular enough, but can't stay on the air to enable it to garner more fans (who might buy toys) because the network won't support it without the toys... just a bizarre way to do things, and it makes you wonder why it ever got the green light in the first place if they weren't going to try to work some of these things out in advance. There HAD to be a manufacturer out there willing to produce toys for it.

More serious than thou
[www.facebook.com] I guess there's a bit of a fan movement going on to try and bring it back and from what I read Tartakovsky is working with Sony Pictures to get the show brought back.
Pssshhht... This show will never be 'finished'. I'm still waiting for a wrap up for Samurai Jack.

Tartakovsky's mom must not have ever taught him about finishing one box of cereal before opening the next one. (or maybe it's CN's collective mom)

Thank you
Yeah, what happened with Samurai Jack?
I think that's part of why he called it the hardest show he's ever created. I think he was really going for a total finished package this time and someone else is pulling the rug out from under him.

More serious than thou
Sanjeev (Admin)
Samurai Jack was the shit...the episodic nature was fine, but it did need some sort of closure: some sort trans-time showdown with Aku and a return to the past.

I've since caught a few more episodes of Symbolic Taco, and I'm just not feeling it. The action's okay, but the talky bits were a bit painful to get through. Toys woulda been dope...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer