despicable amok time toy store

Posted by nemesis 
I apologize for the long post...but I had to rant.

I have not bought toys in a long time but this past summer after catching the Tron legacy trailer. I decided to buy some classic light cycles which I have always wanted. Lo and behold after ebay, and countless surfing I stumbled across a online shop by the name of Amok time selling through Amazon.com. Stating that Zark's red light cycle was only US$24.99. so I thought, why not. I already have the yellow one. I tried ordering online but no matter how many times I completed the order it would not accept a different non-us postal code. So I called them to order by phone, giving my amex as payment. I was waiting for confirmation through an email but no it never happened then I received the shipment and I was charged US29.99 so I emailed a friendly letter stating the price is wrong as your site clearly states a discount of $5.00. I wrote I never confirmed that would be the price I would pay when ordering. An employee apologized and said I will be refunded the difference but since.....nothing and no response. I live in a Canada so I can't pursue the matter but I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in NY. The response from the seller was just hilarious.

From James Mazlow
Customer Service
Amoktime.com

Dear BBB,
This complaint is incorrect.
The item in question is $29.99 not $24.99 as the customer states.
The customer includes a link in his complaint regarding the price he claims in incorrect. That link is: [yhst90184745838282.stores.yahoo.net]. After going to this link to understand his problem it states "PAGE NOT FOUND". A printed copy from our web site's offering of this item is included with this letter. It can also be viewed by looking at our site (www.amoktime.com) under product ID# 634482350102.

I figured it was sketchy so when I received the parcel I downloaded the webpage as a pdf with the time and date. I also saved the email from the employee as proof. LOL, now I know this is a japanese toy forum but if any of you are in NY and buy SF items be careful of this place. Just some friendly advise. I said I wouldn't pursue the matter because it is $5.00 but now that this jerk boasts of a website update that he corrected. I am going as far as I can with this matter. Fraud is fraud, All he had to do was apologize and refund $5.00 but now its just an outright lie.

Now check out the new link: notice the area with price and how the layout is different? I highlighted the info I have.

[yhst-90184745838282.stores.yahoo.net]

So what do you guys think?

I used to buy Chogokins and Kaiju pieces from Asia and have never had an issue now this from the NY. Good grief.
Attachments:
open | download - TRON-Red-Lightcycle-with-Sark-1.jpg (197.3 KB)
Anonymous User
I think if you received your item on time, you don't really have much to complain about.
nemesis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what do you guys think?

What do I think? I think you Canadians are a plague upon the great state of New Jersey. You come down here during the summer and invade our shore towns like the Mongol hordes. You line up outside of retail stores before they open and then descend upon the shelves like locusts, buying up anything and everything you possibly can, loading up your ugly minvans with the loot and absconding back to your igloos, only to return the following weekend.

The last time I went to visit my sister down the shore, I stopped at the local Wal-Mart to grab a My Little Pony doll for my niece, only to find the shelves were barren, completely devoid of any plastic fun I might be able to bring to my sweet little girl. I asked the sales clerk if they were reorganizing the store, or restocking. She glumly replied, "Oh, no, it's always like that. The Canadians, you know."

So I'm glad that we siphoned five extra dollars out of your economy, and when you think about it, it's like the equivalent of ten Canadian dollars so it's even better.

And fuck hockey.
Akum6n, you're probably right. Package received, I should be happy meaning its fair game. I'll drop the case for a measly $5.

Roger Wrote:
What do I think? I think you Canadians are a plague upon the great state of New Jersey.

LOL, you sound like a angry soccer mom who's kid doesn't get what they want because a Canadian beat them to it.

Just to let you know, I don't cross border shop but on local radio broadcasts for holiday long weekends they tell you the situation heading north to the cottage. As well as the traffic and time crossing the boarder.

Meaning it will be a rape n pillage of your stores!

nemesis Wrote:
> LOL, you sound like a angry soccer mom who's kid
> doesn't get what they want because a Canadian beat
> them to it.

No, YOU sound like an angry toy collector who got scammed out of five dollars for a piece of plastic.

NYAH!
Roger Wrote:
NYAH!

LOL, you win, now go do your happy dance.

nemesis Wrote:
> LOL, you win, now go do your happy dance.

No, YOU go do your happy dance.

-dylan
At least we don't have to worry about hordes of illegal immigrants pouring in from Canada...yet...but just you wait. Terrances and Phillipses taking all of our Wal-Mart and Costco jobs!

I'm a big stickler for doing business right, and don't back down because it's just $5.00. Plenty of dealers play games like this where they assume you'll go away due to the low dollar amount...if you're right, stand your ground.

-Adam
nemesis Wrote:
> So what do you guys think?

You got fucked. How did your credit card company settle the issue when you submitted your records to them?

I got similarly screwed on an international exit-tax once because of a fucking typo. The exchange rate was around $1 = C1,000. The nominal fee of C10,000 was assessed by the airline when they checked my immigration papers and saw that I had passed the cut-off point for a non-taxed exit. No big deal. It was just $10. I paid it with a credit card and boarded my flight. When my statement came the charge was listed as C100,000 or $100. Someone with fat fingers typed an extra zero by mistake.

I flipped and called the airline. They said that while they assess and collect exit-taxes they do not retain them. I called bullshit but the airline insisted they don't even keep records of who pays the exit taxes once it has been passed. It was suggested I call either the airport or the corresponding government office to try to figure out where the extra $90 went. Considering they were all overseas I decided to go right for the charge back.

I called my credit card company. They first suggested I call the airline. When I explained the situation they asked for proof of the original amount. I told them it was verbal and they said, "Good luck. We're not backing you up on that. Either you accepted the charge or you didn't. We're not in the business of giving adjusted refunds." The helpful woman from Long Island with whom I was speaking informed me that the burden of proof was on me, not the merchant, and that verbal agreements held no weight. I asked, "So, anyone could charge me whatever they want and as long as I have no written statement indicating an agreed upon amount determined before the charge was processed I'm fucked?" She said, "Yes, it happens all the time. Often for thousands of dollars. You're lucky it was only $90." A week later I got a formal letter from my credit card company explaining in excruciating detail how little interest they actually have in my war against typographic mistakes that cost people money. When I called to bitch about that a manager politely informed me that I was always free to terminate my relationship with them but that it would only lower my credit rating.

The moral of the story is this: the outsourcing of call centers to overseas offices is preferable to getting account representatives based in New York whose idea of customer service is explaining to you that you're lucky not to have been screwed more aggressively by a gang-bang of pass-the-buck corporate apathy.
Gcrush Wrote:
>
> ...account representatives based in New York
> whose idea of customer service is explaining to
> you that you're lucky not to have been screwed
> more aggressively...

I think I nearly blew a kidney laughing at that...ouch! But sooooo true, I've had greater luck being logical with international call centers than folks located here in the U.S., sad but TRUE.

On the topic of "typos", funny story. Few years ago had sold an item to a guy in, think it was Singapore, and he paid through Western Union (which I rarely ever dealt with). I went to the bank to pick up my funds, and told them it should be sixty bucks or so...the girl's eyes grew large and she started shaking her head nervously. "I can't give you the money if you don't know the exact amount" she prattled on...so I showed her a copy of the transaction with the amount in US dollars. She was like "uh, no...it's much, much more than that".

Long story short, there was some snafu with the conversion paperwork, and if I had known the exact amount he had paid in his native currency (it was something like 20,000 in his currency) they would have handed me the check in that amount in US dollars. Customer service was embarassed when I contacted them, but didn't sound all that surprised. Yikes!

-Adam
Fwiw, I've had plenty of dealings with Amok Time. They've been producing lots of great new monster toys the last couple of years and I keep in contact with the owner, Paul, regarding them, see him at shows, etc.. Really nice guy. Very surprised to hear you had a problem.

"There's no Bigfoot in The Awakening." -James Bickert
Anonymous User
Gcrush Wrote:
> nemesis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So what do you guys think?
>
> You got fucked. How did your credit card company
> settle the issue when you submitted your records
> to them?
>
> I got similarly screwed on an international
> exit-tax once because of a fucking typo. The
> exchange rate was around $1 = C1,000. The nominal
> fee of C10,000 was assessed by the airline when
> they checked my immigration papers and saw that I
> had passed the cut-off point for a non-taxed exit.
> No big deal. It was just $10. I paid it with a
> credit card and boarded my flight. When my
> statement came the charge was listed as C100,000
> or $100. Someone with fat fingers typed an extra
> zero by mistake.
> ...

Why didn't you get a receipt?
akum6n Wrote:
> Why didn't you get a receipt?

I did.

I got hit with the charge while picking up my ticket to board the flight. Between the ticket/passport shuffling to get through security and then get on the plane I misplaced the receipt before I could even notice the discrepancy. That's a $90 mistake right there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

footer